Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

private delight login

Just after that, we talked nevertheless but it wasn t the identical. dating website columbia sc If you have medical inquiries, feel no cost to ask advice from other members. The good news is that the quantity of male and female users is just about equal. match and hookup com I d like some feedback but I genuinely never know if I have the strength to attempt once more.

www megapersonals con

So now all you need to do is memorise these inquiries and you will be set for a terrific initially date. stockton chat Commence Chatting Now, start sharing picture and your favourite videos, make your conversation a strong memorandum for your chat mates. Even so, it s a fantastic spot to get started in the dating apps scene. omegle ft A different assistance for the guys, when your comfy with the girl please discover to flirt , pretty critical prior to you seal the deal.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Groups

3/27/2008 6:50:45 AM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

trance08
Boulder, CO

O K.

I struggled with weight at one time in my life. I lost 50 pounds. I have kept it off for over 10 years.

Here is some information I discovered, searching and experimenting with alternatives for controlling weight.

Straight talk, and more importantly:

WHAT THE HEALTH AND FITNESS INDUSTRY DON’T WANT YOU TO KNOW.

Exercise is the key to fitness and health. Wrong.
Exercise only contributes to overall health and fitness in proportion to the amount of time spent doing a particular activity. In other words if you exercise 7 days a week, an hour a day … it contributes to a fraction of your fitness. If you exercise 24 - 7 then it contributes completely to your overall fitness and health. Keep in mind the body is working 24 -7, and the work it is doing while you are not exercising is the work that is at the core of overall health and fitness. It takes far more calories over a lifetime to sustain life then it does to exercise. So, yes exercise is good, but not the answer to weight control.

What is the answer?
Metabolism.

Begin to think in chunks of time, not hours or days. To change your body, permanently, in terms of weight consider that 10 pounds of change in a year is a lot. We are talking a life change. Begin thinking long term and set reasonable goals, while always continuing to try and move in the direction of a healthier lifestyle, one that is rewarding in many ways.

Weight and health begin in the brain. The brain, your thoughts and what you’ve learned from the time you were born control how you “react to food emotionally”. Change your thoughts, change your body. The body will automatically follow what you think, just won’t happen in the time you would like it to. This alone, thinking yourself healthy, could change your body over the course of a couple of years.

Make your metabolism work for you. Turn your thermostat down where you spend most of your time. Below 65. Your body will adjust to this climate, and in doing so will vibrate at a microscopic and cellular level, causing you to shiver, slightly. This is your body working from the inside, trying to maintain what it desires to be normal. Your metabolism increases to keep up with the work.

Will that exercise ball change your life? No. Sorry. Will any exercise change your life? No.
Will it change you for a moment, in a way that is not sustainable without increasing effort, to just maintain what you have gained, yes.

Think about this. We walk everyday. We have to, so we are exercising, by walking. But we don’t get huge leg muscles from this. In fact no exercise is going to give you huge muscles, without the help of supplements and steroids, so don’t buy the hype.

What about diet and food?
Don’t finish your whole plate. Make smaller portions. Do whatever but don’t stop eating!
When you are hungry, in other words when your body needs something, you get hungry. Eat!
Eat a little, wait and see how you feel. Your body is refueled and nourished, by whatever you eat, before you are finished with a meal. It takes what it needs and flushes the rest. If you are going to the bathroom every day, you are not starving to death. Listen to your body. Cravings. Cravings are the best. That means I have neglected subtle signs of what my body needs, so it is screaming at me. Again, don’t binge. Food is here and is part of life. You will eat until you die. This is a fact. So, don’t think about what you are eating today, start thinking about how you can make small changes tomorrow (I mean tomorrow, not a metaphor).
Small changes in your diet,(diet is a consistent food source, like what you eat everyday as a staple) will change your body.

Water. Here is the secret. Water. Lots of water. Sometimes, your body will send a signal that it is hungry when it really is dehydrated. Hydration is cellular and it takes time, days to become hydrated, completely. Do not get dehydrated. Water is the oil in our machine. Everything works better with lubricant. Dehydration will cause your cells to hold on to whatever is available, and fat works just fine.

Flush it.
Drink up.

Hope this helps and please, I am not a Dr. Just my experience. Consult your Dr. and make smart decisions and you can change your life … the change will be visible in the future.

Take care all,
Jon.

3/27/2008 8:39:51 AM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

gapeach7777
Ball Ground, GA

Thanks trance08 for the info! I'm trying to drop about 50 lbs myself. Its just soooo hard!!!!

3/27/2008 2:03:42 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

julieb
Roseville, CA

Jon, I agree with most of what you said and there is some great advice there. That being said I also disagree with a few things.

You said = "Turn your thermostat down where you spend most of your time. Below 65"
I know that you burn more calories when you are cold because your body is working hard to warm itself up, but turning the thermostat below 65 is way too cold and a waste of electricity (think of your PG&E bill!). I have heard that if you drink a glass of cold ice water every hour or so it will have a similar effect and cool down your core. Bonus? -Drinking lots of water is essential for good health!!

You said = "In fact no exercise is going to give you huge muscles, without the help of supplements and steroids, so don’t buy the hype."
I disagree with this because I know lots of weight lifters who have very large muscle and do not use performance enhancers such as steroids. It does take lots of time, energy and hard work plus consistency in the gym and variation in workouts but it is possible. Since I started lifting weights my muscles are much larger...are they huge? -no, but they are big enough. If I started lifting heavier I am sure they would continue to grow if I wanted them to. Also, the more muscle mass you have the more calories you will burn during the day.

What you said about diet, food and water = GREAT!!

3/27/2008 7:51:31 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

johnzter
Leavenworth, KS

I agree a 100% with Julie.

3/28/2008 11:13:38 AM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

biggirlneedluv2
Annapolis, MD

huh so thats why they keep gyms so cold...

4/4/2008 10:16:15 AM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

maxempire1
Ogden, UT

wrong

4/7/2008 9:12:01 AM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

salali70
Americus, GA

I agree with alot you said Jon. But I don't agree with the steroid comment. I work out 7 days a week..seven days walking and 4 with weights. I believe it's all about not dieting..it's about a change in your lifestyle..how you eat and exercise..your daily routine in life.

Thanks for the this thread I agree with almost all you said.

4/15/2008 3:28:04 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

oldeschoolcharm
Monroe, WA

In fact no exercise is going to give you huge muscles, without the help of supplements and steroids, so don’t buy the hype.

Bull.

I agree with julieb on this one.

Squats, Deads, and Bench (though my bench press is sooooo pathetic) for starters. It's a squat cage! Not a curl rack.

Add some cardio.

Eat healthy, and small meals often. Not more than 500 kcal/day under maintenance to lose weight.

Drink 1/2 to one gallon of water a day.

Avoid alcohol.

40% carbs / 30% protein / 30% monosaturated fats.

4:1 omega3 to omega6 fatty acid ratio. A supplement here can help. Of just eat lots of salmon. I do both.

Calcium for bones.

Chondroitin, and MSM.

Zinc, for us guys.

Last October I was 162 lbs, 26% BF, and got myself down to 147 lbs. 17% BF. Still kinda scrawny, but not so skinny-fat. Couldn't do one pushup when I started. Now, crank out three sets of 40 alternated with three sets of 50 crunches every other day. (I'd really like to have the stamina to crank out a set of 100).

Since I started lifting weights my muscles are much larger...are they huge? -no, but they are big enough. If I started lifting heavier I am sure they would continue to grow if I wanted them to.

Not really. You don't have the testosterone for that. It's a rare woman that can bulk up.

[Edited 4/15/2008 3:29:45 PM]

4/15/2008 5:07:16 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

eyeswideopened
Huntington Beach, CA

I hear what you are saying and respect what you are saying, but I also believe what you are saying may not hold true for everyone. Each individule is different with a different metabolism, chemistry with thyroid, kidney and liver function. No two individules are alike including their bodies.

I found a program that works for me which includes exercising and eating under the diabetic guidelines because that is what I am comfortable with, understand and has results.

I also believe every once in a while having a meal that you would not normally eat like a nice baked potato and prime rib, some popcorn once a month so on and so forth. It's not going to kill you or make you gain 50lbs overnight. You also have to live a little but be sensible.

As far as pills, I find them a waiste of my money and does nothing to gain me anything. As far as steriods, I am scared to death of them so if that means looking not so muscular then so be it.

Everyone has to find their own nitch and willing to live with it. I have found a huge improvement with mine.

Just my opinion.

4/15/2008 5:19:35 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

oldeschoolcharm
Monroe, WA

The baked potato has a high glycimic index and would not be appropriate for diabetics.

The prime rib is fine, if you need the protien. The saturated fat it has is not so great, but it won't kill you occasionally. Keep the fat under 10% of your daily calories, and the saturated fat to half that, on average, and it's all good.

But, of course, take a doctor's advice over mine.

Sure, a cheat meal now and then, or a carb refeed if your on a CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet), is great, but even there I try to avoid them.

My cheat is an occasional glass of wine or a beer with dinner, so long as it fits into my daily macros.

Damn, my biceps hurt today: 20 laps of the pool on Sunday, and 120 pushups yesterday night.

4/15/2008 6:51:45 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

eyeswideopened
Huntington Beach, CA

Now ask me if I care Oldeschool.
I know what I am eating and I know if it is valuable or not.

Don't talk about what is or isn't good for me to eat when you eat steak and eggs with pancakes...dear!

I have an appitite and damn proud of it!

4/15/2008 7:05:54 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

oldeschoolcharm
Monroe, WA

Oh I know nothing will change your mind.

And yes, I did indulge on Sunday. "Someone" encouraged me, and I was a bit too weak to resist. I will be stronger next time. "That accounted for breakfast and lunch" is my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. Oh, and it was Eggbeaters: all the protien and none of the fat and cholesterol.

12 oz Tbone: 684 kcal, 272 kcal fat, 93 g protien
4 eggbeaters: 120 kcal, 0 kcal fat, 24 g protien.
2 pancakes: 172 kcal, 64 kcal fat, 5g protien.

total: 976 kcal, 336 kcal fat, 122 g protien.

Split over 2/5 mini-meals, that's 2440 kcal/day, 840 kcal/day from fat, and 305g protien, if one scaled it up. Not that bad a cheat actually. I did not eat the hashbrowns. In practice, one would go light on the fat and protien for the rest of the day. A bit on the high side, but not as bad as one would think.

Macroscopically, it's 34% fat, 50% protien, 16% carbs. Fairly close to decent for breakfast, though it is saturated fat. Once a week is fine.

Someone like me, who is moderately athletic, weighs 147 lbs, should have a daily intake of 1911 kcal. 976 kcal represents 51% of my daily calories. 2-1/2 meals that I squeezed into two. I did not have a mid-morning snack.

The big problem with it is that it's a lot of calories at once. But early in the day is better than late at night.

Now, let's compare the prime rib with baked potato:

prime rib: 1034 kcal, 799 kcal fat, 59g protien
baked potato: 320 kcal, 36 kal fat, 9g protien
(with sour cream)

total: 1354 kcal 835 kcal fat, 68 g protien

Macroscopically, that's 62% fat, 5% protien, and 33% carbs.

For someone who is athletic, and weighs ** lbs, their daily calorie intake should be 1455 kcal.

That meal represents 93% of such a person's daily caloric requirements.

I'm not telling anyone how to eat, or how often to cheat, but I do know that many small meals, combined with watching daily calories, and macros, are the best general recipe for fitness.

To each his or her own.

[Edited 4/15/2008 8:05:35 PM]

4/16/2008 11:15:17 AM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

julieb
Roseville, CA

A few things...

eyeswideopened = It is great that you found a program that works for you!! I completely agree with what you said about having a meal that you would not normally eat. Mine is pizza, nachos or some other terribly cheese mix in moderation. I eat baked potatoes all the time (Very low in saturated fat, No cholesterol, Very low in sodium, High in potassium, High in vitamin B6, and High in vitamin C) and I am careful what I top them with. I am glad you have an appetite you are proud of because I have one too!

oldschoolcharm = It is great that you have your way of doing things and it works for you... however, the United States Department of Agriculture suggests that approximately 50% of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30% from fats, and approximately 20% from protein sources. If you workout and lift weights then the number shifts to 50% carbs, 25% fats and %25 protein. To judge someone’s prime rib and potato 'cheat' meal against this is unfair because it is just one meal... you need the entire day to make a fair statement. If that was all she ate all day then it is not great, but odds are that she ate appropriately during the day to balance it out... and if not, that is why it is a "once in a while" thing. Also you made this statement =
For someone who is athletic, and weighs ** lbs, their daily calorie intake should be 1455 kcal.
This is ridiculous...how can you even make that statement? Making a blanket statement that someone should eat 1455 blows me away. According to my BMR I would burn 1428 calories per day IN A COMA and would need 1714 calories per day to maintain my weight BEFORE working out. When you factor in working out I can eat closer to 2100 calories and still gain nothing (I burn an average of 400 calories at the gym each day.) If I ate 1455 calories like you suggested I would be essentially starving myself! People that are athletic need closer to 1900-2000 calories per day depending on their activity level. I do not want uneducated people to read your post and get the wrong idea thinking they should eat less. You are way off and at 1455 calories an athletic person would send their body into starvation mode where they would hang on to their fat for survival instead of burning it like a healthy well fueled body would.

4/16/2008 12:47:31 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

trance08
Boulder, CO

OP:
Keep in mind the body is working 24 -7, and the work it is doing while you are not exercising is the work that is at the core of overall health and fitness. It takes far more calories over a lifetime to sustain life than it does to exercise. So, yes exercise is good, but not the answer to weight control.

Really, really ... think about this statement.

I agree with everyone on this, because it is a personal choice, it is about your
goals and needs, individually.

The point is really, and I can say this because I am serious about "fitness" and I could care less about "appearance", the point is:

What is going to work for me, for a LIFETIME?
What can I sustain, and as I get older, what can my body endure?

We don't know it all.
I don't know it all.
That statement up there is an education, it changed everything, for me.

JMO

4/16/2008 6:04:48 PM What You Might Want To Know About Diet and Exercise  

oldeschoolcharm
Monroe, WA

eyeswideopened = It is great that you found a program that works for you!! I completely agree with what you said about having a meal that you would not normally eat. Mine is pizza, nachos or some other terribly cheese mix in moderation. I eat baked potatoes all the time (Very low in saturated fat, No cholesterol, Very low in sodium, High in potassium, High in vitamin B6, and High in vitamin C) and I am careful what I top them with. I am glad you have an appetite you are proud of because I have one too!

Lots and lots and lots of sour cream and chives and butter! High glycimic index carbs. Great with a skinless chicken breast or salmon steak after a workout I guess, if one lost the sour cream and butter, or at least went easy on them.

oldschoolcharm = It is great that you have your way of doing things and it works for you... however, the United States Department of Agriculture suggests that approximately 50% of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30% from fats, and approximately 20% from protein sources. If you workout and lift weights then the number shifts to 50% carbs, 25% fats and %25 protein.

Yeah, and these are old reccomendations based on dated research. You should know that!

1/2 to 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass.

10-30% of calories from healthy fats.

The rest from carbs.

For me, at 147 lbs, 17% BF, that's 147*(1-0.17)= 122g protein a day. 488 kcal from protein

147 lbs at 15 kcal/lb = 2205 kcal/day. 30% fat = 662 kcal from fat.

That leaves, 2205-662-488=1055 kcal from carbs.

48% carbs / 30% fat / 22% protien.

When I was striving to lose weight, I ate 500 kcal a day less, so the carb content was lower.

In general a 40c/30p/30f or 40c/40p/20f diet is a good ballpark to start.

To judge someone’s prime rib and potato 'cheat' meal against this is unfair because it is just one meal... you need the entire day to make a fair statement. If that was all she ate all day then it is not great, but odds are that she ate appropriately during the day to balance it out... and if not, that is why it is a "once in a while" thing. Also you made this statement =

This is ridiculous...how can you even make that statement? Making a blanket statement that someone should eat 1455 blows me away.

eyeswideopend stands 4'6" and has an average BMI. I don't desire to disclose her weight in a public forum, but you do the math as to what her daily caloric requirements are.

According to my BMR I would burn 1428 calories per day IN A COMA and would need 1714 calories per day to maintain my weight BEFORE working out. When you factor in working out I can eat closer to 2100 calories and still gain nothing (I burn an average of 400 calories at the gym each day.) If I ate 1455 calories like you suggested I would be essentially starving myself! People that are athletic need closer to 1900-2000 calories per day depending on their activity level.

I actually used a greater multiplier than "average" to compute her BMR. You are much taller than her, younger, and likely have a higher metabolism than either of us.

I do not want uneducated people to read your post and get the wrong idea thinking they should eat less. You are way off and at 1455 calories an athletic person would send their body into starvation mode where they would hang on to their fat for survival instead of burning it like a healthy well fueled body would.

I suggest you redo your calculations. Eyes stands 4'6" and has an average BMI.

I don't give a fig what she eats, but if she says she follows a "diabetic" diet (which is odd since I thought she was hypoglycemic), and consumes 90%+ of her daily caloric requirements in one meal that includes a sour-cream laden baked potato (carbs and fat), I see that as a contradiction.

FWIW, I went from 162 lbs, 26%BF to 147 lbs, 17% BF in 12 weeks, following doctor's advice, and the information gleaned from www.bodybuilding.com.

No six pack yet, but working on it, and damn, it feels good to be able to actually crank out 3x40 pushups for the first time in my life. No big deal for a lot, but a big deal for me, and I like the feeling.

On edit: I miscalculated eyes' caloric requirements, but not by much. Her's are 1660/day, and mine are 2250. I suspect you are leaner than either of us (well, maybe not leaner than me since women have a greater percentage of body fat), and you do know that muscle requires more calories to support than fat.

[Edited 4/16/2008 6:39:12 PM]

Page: 1, 2