Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

real gay hookup

Fundamentally swiping absolutely everyone, but come across that an app that is pretty much exclusively based on photos is a rather fruitless per suit for a blind user. kailua kona dating I have develop into good friends with a beautiful guy. If they seem to be mimicking or shifting towards your messaging style, it could be a sign that they re attracted to you. chaturbate mexico Fundamentally the probabilities of meeting the correct individual at b college are better than at a random bar thats for confident.

mega presonals

Hold your recommended topics easy as two minutes is not a lot of time for each people to respond. mujeres latinas en mesa az The platform permits ghosters and players to run rampant. I hope that this tends to make sense at least in the tiniest way. adultlook fremont No representation is created that the high quality of the legal solutions to be performed is higher than the high quality of legal solutions performed by other lawyers.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

4/4/2010 3:04:34 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

A Polish tradition called Swieconka, the Holy Saturday custom features families filling baskets with foods that will be shared at home on Easter morning. After a short prayer, the Rev. Adam Ogorzaly walked through the church, sprinkling each family’s basket with holy water.

Traditional foods brought to church include bread, butter, colored eggs, horseradish, sausage and ham. On Sunday morning, each home’s table is set with the best linens and china in honor of the Resurrection.

“This is something that every year brings parishioners and other Polish people from around the community to one place to honor their traditions,” said Ogorzaly. “The United States is so rich with culture, and it’s a wonderful feeling to see grandparents and parents passing the tradition to the next generation.”

Meet singles in your area here at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free for everything! Join now!
DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

4/4/2010 3:10:04 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Golabki (Stuffed Cabbage)

Golabki is the Polish word for pigeon, but don't be put off you don't need to use pigeon! Smacznego!

1 cabbage, center core removed
3 lb minced meat (turkey or pork)
2 cups cooked white rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup tomato paste
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup butter
4 carrots, sliced
16 ounces mushrooms, quarted
2 bay leaves
1. Parboil cabbage in a large pot, removing leafs as they fall off into the water and are tender.
2. Cook till all leaves are tender, but not ripping apart; usually 15.
3. Run under cold water and drain.
4. Cut the thick membrane off back of each leaf.
5. While cabbage is cooking saute onion in butter until lightly browned.
6. Put all the uncooked meat into a large mixing bowl add eggs.
7. Add the sauted onions.
8. Next add salt pepper, celery salt, parsley, nutmeg, and worcestershire sauce along with the cooked rice.
9. Mix thoroughly.
10. Lay out leaves and depending upon their size, place 2-3 tablespoons of meat mixture on the wider side.
11. Roll leaf up and over meat, tuck in sides of leaf, and continue to roll to use all leaves and stuffing.
12. Place rolls, seam down into a greased roasting pan.
13. Then layer carrots and mushrooms over cabbage.
14. Mix together the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, water and brown sugar and pour evenly over all the rolls.
15. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bay leaves.
16. Cover roaster and bake 325 degrees for 2- 2&1/2 hours.
17. Half way through baking check to make sure there's enough liquid; additional water can be added.
18. To serve, spoon sauce over rolls.
19. Serve with Mashed potatoes!

4/4/2010 3:14:43 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

phina1
Over 2,000 Posts (2,287)
Walton, KY

Wish I could, mom says they're all stuck in her head -

4/4/2010 3:17:26 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Even if you have a dish your family has been making for years, share the story behind it.

4/5/2010 12:12:25 AM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

enigmaco
Columbus, OH

There's a couple in mine one is my grandmas rolls man, it would take her a day and a half to make them. And when you ate them they would practically melt in your mouth, made them every year until she passed away a couple years ago.

My mom and aunt have tried since to make them but they can't come close to hers, well hmm now I think about it thats the biggest one I remember

4/5/2010 4:22:54 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Enigmaco, what a shame, the old fashioned recipes are the best! I wish I had hung onto my grandparents more looking back, but we always got chased outside as kids. There are some recipes that cannot be duplicated.

4/6/2010 3:36:10 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

mzchieviousnaz
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,998)
Phoenix, AZ

I'm half Lebanese, and I grew up having my grandparents around a lot. Many is the time we spent a whole day making pita bread-mm...I remember the smells from the kitchen on that day, not discounting how good the pita bread tasted and how happy we were to help 'Nana' in the process. Much of the Middle-Eastern food was labor intensive to make, but I'll share a green bean recipe that is wonderful cold or hot and fairly simple to make. I've been known to make a sandwich with half a pita pocket stuffed with these beans for a meatless lunch, mmmmmm....

1 (6oz.)can tomato paste
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
3 large chopped onions
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
3 lb. washed fresh string beans
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. allspice

In at least an 8 quart saucepan with cover, saute onions and garlic in oil until the onions are translucent and tender. Wash, snip and cut in halves the string beans. Add to the oil and sauted onions and garlic. Stir well to coat the beans then add the salt, pepper, and allspice. Add tomato paste with 3 oz. of water. Gently toss the beans so all of the ingredients are mixed and coated. Cook over very, very low flame for at least 1 hour, occasionally stirring gently. May be served with a rice pilaf. Serves at least six people. Hot or cold, it's delicious!

[Edited 4/6/2010 3:38:51 PM PST]

4/6/2010 6:05:44 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
doublehugx
Campbell, CA

I am part Italian, and we love these cookies called pizzelles. They are like a crunchy, really thin waffle...usually flavored with anise oil. They are time consuming, and we have been known to gather for an entire day to make them. My Aunt Ginny from Pennsylvania has the best recipe for them.

Aunt Ginny's Pizzelles (makes 4 dozen)

6 Extra large eggs
1 Cup Mazola oil
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup milk
2 1/2 Cups flour
1/8 fluid ounce anise oil (try a pharmacy...this is hard to find)

Put all together in a mixer. Mix it all up. Mix good. Follow the directions on your pizzelle iron. Bake until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack. You can thin down the batter with a few drops of milk at a time, if necessary.

My sister found a website that allowed us to put together a family cookbook...including our stories and photos. It was a huge project, but we have a professionally printed record of all our family favorites. It was a blast doing the cookbook, because my Mom never measures anything, so we had to make all her recipes to get the exact measurements. Every time we did one of her recipes, it was a little family party.

Very cool thread,OP

4/6/2010 6:31:47 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

phina1
Over 2,000 Posts (2,287)
Walton, KY

Krumkaka
(Norwegian Cookie)

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar together; add the eggs and mix using a wooden spoon.

Add the milk, flour and vanilla and mix well.

Heat the krumkaka iron on medium heat on the stove until hot, then put a teaspoon of batter on the bottom iron and press the top and bottom irons together. When brown on one side, turn over and brown again. Remove from the iron and roll up around a stick or a cone-shaped piece of wood. Remove, and repeat with the next one.

Makes about 50.

Here's the iron used

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NORWEGIAN MEATBALLS

5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, pork; ground three times)
2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 T. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour

Makes about 120 (1 1/2-inch)

Heat over to 350 degrees. Combine all meatball ingredients, knead by hand 5 minutes or more to blend spices into meat. Lightly grease or coat shallow baking pans with no-stick cooking spray. Form small round meat balls; dipping hands into cold water to shape smooth. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Place meatballs in large kettle; add bouillon cubes, meat drippings from baking pan and water to cover. Stir in Kitchen Bouquet. heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Remove meatballs. Thicken gravy with flour to desired consistency.

[Edited 4/6/2010 6:36:06 PM PST]

4/8/2010 7:02:24 AM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Wow, what great recipies, I am missing the Pizzelles my italian neighbors would make at Christmas, I am going to try the Whole Food store for the Anise oil. Not sure. The Norwegian recipe sounds similar to our Chrusciki -- Polish Angel Wings Cookies.

That Lebanese recipe in Pita bread I have never tried. I love cooking different foods. Someimes get stuck with the same menu. So thanks for helping me eat my veggies. I usally go for the meat and potatoes.

There was a Greek restaurant in Tarpon Springs when I lived in Clearwater that hada the dancing and great food, I would love some of their recipes too.

Like those Swedish meatballs, yummmmmm

I hope we get alot more recipes, thanks alot.

Any body master the good old meatloaf, I for some reason cannot make a good old fashioined meatloaf.
Joy

4/8/2010 5:01:39 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

wolfyhp
Over 1,000 Posts (1,713)
Atascadero, CA

Well, I've shared it on this group before, but since ya asked:

That's my grandmother's Krumkake iron. Krumkake are a cookie like a Pizzelle, flavored with cardamom. Very delicious. The batter is like a waffle batter. I'll get out her 1940's (I think, somewhere around then) Norwegian cookbook and find the recipe in the morning.

Here's a picture of some I made a few months ago, for Christmas/Jule. The cone roller is for shaping them as you pull them off the iron. They turn into a crisp cookie as they cool.

[Edited 4/8/2010 5:03:10 PM PST]

4/8/2010 5:16:13 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

phina1
Over 2,000 Posts (2,287)
Walton, KY

Quote from wolfyhp:
That's my grandmother's Krumkake iron. Krumkake are a cookie like a Pizzelle, flavored with cardamom.

You're probably thinking of: Orange Cardamom Krumkake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup half-and-half
2 eggs

Directions
1.Grease the krumkake iron with oil or vegetable spray. Heat iron over medium low heat. You should only need to grease the iron once. If using an electric krumkake iron, follow manufacturer's directions for preheating.
2.Sift the flour, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl. Stir the sugar, salt, and orange zest into the flour mixture until evenly blended.
3.Place the butter and half-and-half into a microwavable bowl. Cover and cook in microwave until warm, about 25 seconds. Cool slightly. Whisk the eggs, one at a time, into to the half-and-half mixture. Stir the cream mixture into the flour mixture until well blended.
4.Using preheated krumkake iron, place 1 tablespoon of batter onto each krumkake mold, using a second spoon to scrape off the batter. Close the krumkake iron, and cook until the iron stops steaming and the cookies are golden brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Carefully peel the krumkake cookie from the iron and while still hot, and wrap around a wooden krumkake cone to make the traditional cone shape. Hold in place until set, about 10 seconds, remove and cool completely on waxed paper. Repeat with remaining batter.

4/8/2010 5:37:53 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

wolfyhp
Over 1,000 Posts (1,713)
Atascadero, CA

Quote from phina1:
You're probably thinking of: Orange Cardamom Krumkake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup half-and-half
2 eggs

Directions
1.Grease the krumkake iron with oil or vegetable spray. Heat iron over medium low heat. You should only need to grease the iron once. If using an electric krumkake iron, follow manufacturer's directions for preheating.
2.Sift the flour, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl. Stir the sugar, salt, and orange zest into the flour mixture until evenly blended.
3.Place the butter and half-and-half into a microwavable bowl. Cover and cook in microwave until warm, about 25 seconds. Cool slightly. Whisk the eggs, one at a time, into to the half-and-half mixture. Stir the cream mixture into the flour mixture until well blended.
4.Using preheated krumkake iron, place 1 tablespoon of batter onto each krumkake mold, using a second spoon to scrape off the batter. Close the krumkake iron, and cook until the iron stops steaming and the cookies are golden brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Carefully peel the krumkake cookie from the iron and while still hot, and wrap around a wooden krumkake cone to make the traditional cone shape. Hold in place until set, about 10 seconds, remove and cool completely on waxed paper. Repeat with remaining batter.

Those sound interesting. The traditional ones don't have orange zest or any of the spices except cardamom. More like the first krumkake recipe you posted (krumkaka) but with cardamom. I don't recall if there's any vanilla in the original. I might try those orange ones though. I couldn't serve them to my grandpa (he's very traditional when it comes to Norwegian food,) but I might like them. Thanks.

I just put a half of a tablespoon to a tablespoon of batter in the middle of the iron, spread it slightly, then close the iron. I press the iron tightly a few times during cooking to make them thinner (old trick) and I turn the iron a few times (your recipe is probably for an electric krumkake iron, I use the cast iron one I showed. I see you posted your non-electric iron too though.) The krumkake always come off the iron easily as long as I've been good to the iron and kept up on its seasoning. The benefit I see to the electric one is that it would save my wrists, hands and arms turning the heavy cast iron one. I like the old one though.

[Edited 4/8/2010 5:40:44 PM PST]

4/8/2010 9:08:32 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

charon52
Evanston, IL

Quote from blu_skyz:
Any body master the good old meatloaf, I for some reason cannot make a good old fashioined meatloaf.
Joy

Yup- got a good old fashioned "Blue Plate Special Meatloaf" recipe.

Preheat your oven to about 350F

Start with about 3lbs 80% lean ground chuck in a large mixing bowl
Add in about 1/2 to 3/4 lb (hot as you like it) loose Italian Sausage
Crack in 4 eggs (as a binder)

Dump in the Seasonings:
1 TBSP Granulated garlic
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup mustard (I like the spicy brown stuff, but Yellow Deli stuff works too)
1/4 cup A-1 Sauce

Mix well. Use your hands to squoosh the meats and eggs and seasonings well.

Add about 3/4 cup matzo meal or PANKO bread crumbs
Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and mix some more.

The meat mix should NOT be wet or loose. It should hold its shape when pressed together in the bowl.

On a foil or parchment lined cookie sheet sprinkle a bit of corn meal or bread crumbs, then form the meat mass into a loaf shape. Sprinkle some corn meal or bread crumbs on top and sides and lightly press in with your hands.

Put into your oven and leave it alone for 30 minutes. Turn the tray 180* and pour Heinz Ketchup over the top. MUST be Heinz Generics are too sweet. Close the oven and leave it alone for another 30 minutes. Use your meat thermoneter to make sure the temp is right, then remove from the oven and let it REST at least 20 minutes.

To make a proper Blue Plate Special ya gotta serve it with smashed taters, green beans, boiled carrots, and gravy for the taters.

4/8/2010 11:21:09 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

mzchieviousnaz
Phoenix, AZ

A simple Lebanese stew:

5 potatoes, quartered
4 onions, quartered
2 lbs. lamb cubed (lean stew beef may be substituted)
1 large can of tomatoes
salt, pepper, and allspice to taste

Arrange potatoes, onions, and lamb cubes in shallow baking pan. Pour tomatoes and spices over ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender. Add water, if needed during baking. Casserole should be juicy. May be served with rice.

4/9/2010 10:34:24 AM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

wolfyhp
Over 1,000 Posts (1,713)
Atascadero, CA

I wasn't able to find my grandmother's "Sons of Norway" cookbook, but I found her 1949 "North Shore Cookery" Scandinavian and general recipes, cookbook. It was apparently her favorite by all the notes.

The krumkake recipe she used from it is:

1/2 c. butter 1 1/2 cup flour 1 cup sugar vanilla or cardamom (grandpa insists to use cardamom. Maybe 1/2 tsp.) 2 eggs 1 c. milk Mix together all ingredients, will be a thin batter. Make as instructed earlier in this thread.

One really cool thing is that as I was looking for the krumkake recipe, I found a note next to a recipe for "Norwegian Fattigmand" another type of cookie my grandparents used to make. The note said "use this recipe." So, that's what I'll try next. Only thing is, it doesn't give a precise flour amount for the Fattigmand, in any recipe for it. It just says "enough flour to roll thin" in this version and in another "enough to make a soft dough." Not sure what consistency I'm looking for with this one... I think they counted on people already knowing.

Anyone's family make lefse? I have my grandmother's lefse recipe, which isn't from a cookbook.

[Edited 4/9/2010 10:38:06 AM PST]

4/9/2010 12:54:32 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

slapstick_37
Marble Falls, TX

My mother is the queen of lefse making. She has won the "national" lefse contest (actually, I believe it's the only contest), and she makes lefse every fall from September through the holidays.

To give you an idea of how hard she works, she goes through 1200+ pounds of russet potatoes each year. She sells all this lefse, and it's quite the operation.

My father bought her an electric, industrial-sized potato peeler several years ago, and that's his job - keeping the potatoes peeled and ready.

It really, truly is an excellent product...thin and tender. She will mail frozen lefse to anyone who wants it (and who's willing to pay the postage). She freezes it before packaging (but will send fresh if that's what the person requests).

It's excellent......

4/9/2010 4:52:24 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Excellent recipe, thank you for sharing it.

4/9/2010 4:57:58 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

ground cardamom
ground ginger
ground cinnamon
ground nutmeg

This is a good mix of spices, part of what I use in my Indian Curry recipe.

4/9/2010 4:58:44 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

wolfyhp
Over 1,000 Posts (1,713)
Atascadero, CA

Quote from blu_skyz:
Excellent recipe, thank you for sharing it.

Well, it's basically the same as your recipe...probably traditional krumkake recipe...except that it says "vanilla or cardamom."

4/9/2010 5:01:21 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Thanks Charon,
"Blue Plate Special Meatloaf" recipe.

I will let you know how it turns out.

4/13/2010 8:08:18 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

mzchieviousnaz
Phoenix, AZ

Ok, now I'm feeling a bit dumb, but what the heck is granulated garlic?? I usually use fresh garlic when I'm cooking....would someone please enlighten me?

4/13/2010 8:24:47 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

charon52
Evanston, IL

Quote from mzchieviousnaz:
Ok, now I'm feeling a bit dumb, but what the heck is granulated garlic?? I usually use fresh garlic when I'm cooking....would someone please enlighten me?

Granulated is a courser DRY grind than powdered, but not as course as chopped. It has a stronger and slightly more bitter flavor than fresh, so needs much less to get the garlic taste. It seems to hold the flavor and last longer than the powdered stuff when kept in a sealed container.

It's great to have in the spice pantry for things like dry rubs, mixing with butter (in your processor) for garlic spread, or when you need a hit of garlic and don't want to saute or deal with the fresh stuff.

hope this helps

4/13/2010 11:51:16 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

mzchieviousnaz
Phoenix, AZ

Quote from charon52:
Granulated is a courser DRY grind than powdered, but not as course as chopped. It has a stronger and slightly more bitter flavor than fresh, so needs much less to get the garlic taste. It seems to hold the flavor and last longer than the powdered stuff when kept in a sealed container.

It's great to have in the spice pantry for things like dry rubs, mixing with butter (in your processor) for garlic spread, or when you need a hit of garlic and don't want to saute or deal with the fresh stuff.

hope this helps

Thank you for explaining that, now all I have to do is find it....looked at one of our major grocery chains yesterday and couldn't find anything 'granulated'....so will continue my search...

4/14/2010 5:43:15 AM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

slapstick_37
Marble Falls, TX

I, too, have searched for 'granulated garlic' at times and cannot find it in stores. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, of course, as I have had it before. I just can't seem to locate it now (and don't always think about it when grocery shopping...just when the recipe specifies it as an ingredient).

Hope you all are having a great FOOD day!

4/14/2010 11:40:17 AM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

wolfyhp
Over 1,000 Posts (1,713)
Atascadero, CA

Quote from slapstick_37:
I, too, have searched for 'granulated garlic' at times and cannot find it in stores. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, of course, as I have had it before. I just can't seem to locate it now (and don't always think about it when grocery shopping...just when the recipe specifies it as an ingredient).

Hope you all are having a great FOOD day!

I love granulated garlic. I buy large containers of it from Food 4 Less. If I can't find it there (they're sometimes out for a month or more) I get it at Von's (Safeway) in the Kosher section. There's a company called "Delish" that makes kosher spices, and one of them is a really good quality granulated garlic in a decent sized container for a decent price. Perhaps they have that brand in the kosher section of whatever markets are near you? Otherwise, I know McCormick makes a large container of granulated garlic and e-mailing them might help you find a store near you that carries it.

Hope that gives you some help in tracking it down.

[Edited 4/14/2010 11:41:28 AM PST]

4/14/2010 2:12:18 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

nitecaller
Over 2,000 Posts (3,127)
Edmonton, AB

OK matzo ball soup, brisket,some dried fruit reconstituted it also has matza that's just a bit of pass over so at that time no pork no bread an i become a good little Jewish guy but just for 1 day

4/14/2010 4:51:39 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  
blu_skyz
Daytona Beach, FL

Charon, This meatloaf recipe was a big hit at lunch today. Absolutely a keeper. Thanks.

4/16/2010 10:02:20 AM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

phina1
Over 2,000 Posts (2,287)
Walton, KY

Quote from blu_skyz:
Charon, This meatloaf recipe was a big hit at lunch today. Absolutely a keeper. Thanks.

WHOO HOO . . . that's awesome !
I'll have to try it -

4/17/2010 10:36:24 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

mzchieviousnaz
Phoenix, AZ

Charon I tried your meatloaf recipe yesterday and it was awesome! Didn't have the granulated garlic, so I used fresh, but mmmm, it was yummy, but omg, it makes a lot of meatloaf, I'm going to have to freeze most of it and eat it in increments.

5/9/2010 7:19:53 PM Share your heritage and a family tradition  

lakelaunch
Virginia Beach, VA

When I consider my southern heritage yes, I'm one of the GRITS (Girls Raised In The South) I always have memories of my late mom, a great cook, and how she always tried to help newcomers from the north learn the secrets of southern cooking.
One lady, the "war bride" of my dad's friend, was really into learning. Before you knew it, she knew how to fry chicken, make biscuits and cornbread (without egg and/or sugar), gravy with flour - not cornstarch, field peas, and pecan pie.

She became so adept that she decided to have a few couples over for dinner, which pleased her husband very much.
On the day of the dinner, hubby came home early to help out and while delicious aromas permeated the house, he found his poor wife sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, surrounded by newspapers, tears streaming down her cheeks.
"What's wrong?" he asked, kneeling beside her.

Choking back the tears, she cried, "I've fried the chicken, I've made the pecan pie, the biscuits are ready for the oven, the peas will be done soon."
Confused, her husband asked, "So what's the matter?"

"It's this," she sobbed, pointing to the mess around her. "I've been working on this okra for over an hour, and I've only shelled about half a cup."

I suppose that sometimes, it's best to be specific