Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

www megapersonal com

Vice technology effects dating a diabetic dating hashtag. cherry hill nj dating Get a picture of a puppy on your Tinder profile, attract your dream lady. My divorce is not final but it s close and possibly I m weird but I have no want to meet, speak, get coffee or date anyone at this point. black bedpage Dating apps etc are designed to make people today funds 1st and formost, and will under no circumstances place your personal desires initial.

listcrawler ts

It is like when you go shopping , you pick the most effective one. singles in casa grande az I am a naive 22 year old and on a second date with a guy I met on Match. In some cases getting something clever or timely to say can be hard, even for the most experienced daters of us. sniffies reviews This is not foolproof, but if you comply with the ten approaches beneath, you have a fairly superior likelihood of not ending up in an abusive partnership.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

12/18/2009 7:15:14 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
tsc09
Tucson, AZ
67, joined Jul. 2009

To nevadagary.
Nice to hear another man has the same problem. I don't have difficulty with women contacting me, but they have a mind-set and carry so much baggage they're lucky if any man could possibly meet their requirements. A relationship is 2 people. Not just one!
My wife and I had 43 years together. We were High School Sweethearts and found our match. We dated 3 years before we married. We banged heads once in a while, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I've decided to look for widows instead of divorcees. I'm not the husband a lady divorced or broke up with but many of them feel all men are the same and treat you like someone they got rid of. It seems to be a constant thing. At least a widow actually knows what love is.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

12/18/2009 11:21:34 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

nevadagary
Fernley, NV
70, joined Oct. 2009

Quote from tsc09:
To nevadagary.
Nice to hear another man has the same problem. I don't have difficulty with women contacting me, but they have a mind-set and carry so much baggage they're lucky if any man could possibly meet their requirements. A relationship is 2 people. Not just one!
My wife and I had 43 years together. We were High School Sweethearts and found our match. We dated 3 years before we married. We banged heads once in a while, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I've decided to look for widows instead of divorcees. I'm not the husband a lady divorced or broke up with but many of them feel all men are the same and treat you like someone they got rid of. It seems to be a constant thing. At least a widow actually knows what love is.

Yep I think most widows still has love in thier hearta and that love light shines and with the right one is easy to see. Some divorcees..and I guess some widows too... on the other hand have extiguished their love light and it may not shine again.

12/20/2009 9:28:04 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

pearlsnlace4u
Harlowton, MT
62, joined Nov. 2008

I know that men are afraid to date me because I have been married twice and been widowed both times. My first husband died in an accident and my second died of Lukemia. I am thinking I should come with a warning label on my forhead "Caution a relationship with this woman could kill you!"

12/20/2009 10:00:42 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

newdirection6
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,128)
Wellsville, OH
61, joined Nov. 2007

I have met some divorce men. I have gone out with some widowers. The widowers I have gone out with can't deal with moving forward. Talking about their dead wife. I can't match up to their wife. I told them they have to move on in life. The divorced men talkes about their ex's. Then all they want is a quickie. I guess being a widow can be hard as being a widower.

12/20/2009 10:18:20 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
gentlebear1949
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (28,597)
Apple Creek, OH
66, joined Jul. 2008

Quote from pearlsnlace4u:
I know that men are afraid to date me because I have been married twice and been widowed both times. My first husband died in an accident and my second died of Lukemia. I am thinking I should come with a warning label on my forhead "Caution a relationship with this woman could kill you!"

I have had two former girlfriends die of cancer,so maybe I should wear a warning label also......But with different wording than yours of course....

12/20/2009 10:44:09 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

pearlsnlace4u
Harlowton, MT
62, joined Nov. 2008

Good to know I am not alone.... Hmmm maybe we should form a club, call it the proceed with caution club ha ha ha

12/21/2009 9:05:55 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
sugar1341
Foley, AL
67, joined Dec. 2009

I am facing my first Christmas alone. The holidays used to be such a time of wonderment and cheer. Now, I just want it to go away.

12/21/2009 1:12:51 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
cali1234
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (37,440)
Exeter, CA
68, joined Oct. 2008

Sugar it will go away, blink of an eye and we will be in the new Year....Big Hugs

12/22/2009 8:42:28 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
morganandb
Kissimmee, FL
57, joined Dec. 2009

Nevadagary
you talk of women like they are lightbulbs!lol! either they shine or they don't...lol!!!Many women are widows because they murdered their husbands! By the way...you are kind of cute yourself!do you have anything that still shines?

12/22/2009 11:08:47 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

nevadagary
Fernley, NV
70, joined Oct. 2009

Quote from morganandb:
Nevadagary
you talk of women like they are lightbulbs!lol! either they shine or they don't...lol!!!Many women are widows because they murdered their husbands! By the way...you are kind of cute yourself!do you have anything that still shines?

Ahhhhh...HAHAHA! Murdered their husbands? Wow I guess their love shined really bright huh? Oh yeah I'm real cute... Anything that still shines??? Yeah a lot but I'm keeping it covered until the right gal comes along. I love talking in riddles. OH BTW- I don't talk about my deceased wife on a date even though she was my whole life and when somebody tells me to move on I say I would love to but it's very hard. My wife, bless her heart, told me not long before she died that I had to find a new love and I said I don't want a new love and she said "If you don't find one I am going to find one for you". I asked her just how she planned on doing that and she told me "I am going to haunt her" We both cried a bit then we both laughed our butts off. I ask ever woman I meet if they're haunted and they think I'm crazy. But when the right comes along she'll know she's haunted.

12/22/2009 11:43:21 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
morganandb
Kissimmee, FL
57, joined Dec. 2009

very cute nevada...post an irresistible photo and a cute comment and then let the girl find out your profile is private!!!
by the way, thanks for the comment- yes, the girls were commissioned, I paint only fat women and yes I don't look far from my mirror.But since I can't talk to you because you are shy....

12/22/2009 11:47:55 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

nevadagary
Fernley, NV
70, joined Oct. 2009

Quote from morganandb:
very cute nevada...post an irresistible photo and a cute comment and then let the girl find out your profile is private!!!
by the way, thanks for the comment- yes, the girls were commissioned, I paint only fat women and yes I don't look far from my mirror.But since I can't talk to you because you are shy....

Hmmm I didn't know I was private... damn/ I'l have to figure out how to change that.

12/22/2009 11:50:01 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

nevadagary
Fernley, NV
70, joined Oct. 2009

Quote from morganandb:

OK I did it so you can go and answer or whatever....I think.

12/26/2009 6:42:37 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
tsc09
Tucson, AZ
67, joined Jul. 2009

Quote from nevadagary:
OK I did it so you can go and answer or whatever....I think.

For your info..."Morgan and b" deleted their profile...Look in the mirror Morgan...okay, maybe you did and thst's why it's deleted.

12/28/2009 10:20:20 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

nevadagary
Fernley, NV
70, joined Oct. 2009

Quote from tsc09:
For your info..."Morgan and b" deleted their profile...Look in the mirror Morgan...okay, maybe you did and thst's why it's deleted.

Unfortunately she has some serious mental and emotional problems.

2/5/2010 9:29:33 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

rideli
Maryland Heights, MO
55, joined Oct. 2009

Quote from ladyvirtue123:
In part I think its because the widow/widower still love their spouse..People who come along after don't want to live in the deceaseds shadow..it's different than getting a divorce, usually you can't stand the ex, but not so when your spouse has passed..

How true, it has been 6 months since my wife passed away, and I am still madly in love with her. When I dream, I dream of her. Why am I on this site? because I am not done living yet, and "happiness isn't real unless it's shared" (Into the Wild).

2/15/2010 9:13:16 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
pollypandle
Columbia, MO
70, joined Dec. 2009

I wouldn't take it as being a widow has anything to do with it. Guys on here are players and phonies. I believe it is the quality of men on here as it would surprise you how fickle they are. I'm interested in the success stories but still think it is a long shot to meet a quality male. Most aren't interested in you but so interested in themselves and what they are doing. My question is why be on here just to pass the time of day or why advertise for a long term relationship if you are only interested in emailing and playing around. So so immature!

[Edited 2/15/2010 9:18:04 AM ]

2/15/2010 12:27:50 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

lovethelake17
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (33,872)
Henderson, NV
57, joined May. 2009

I'm sorry your experience has been so bad, Pollypandle. I've met a quality man, and have met many whom I consider great friends who will make some women very happy.

2/21/2010 11:03:42 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
pollypandle
Columbia, MO
70, joined Dec. 2009

I'm happy for anyone who has met a quality male on here as that is what I've always looked for. I believe there are some on here, but they don't last.

2/27/2010 12:52:37 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
spot1955
Mineral Wells, TX
65, joined Jan. 2010

i tell youall ,, just my openion , i have ben maried a few times before my last wife. and they were all different. i never compair. it did not do eny good eneyway. so my wife , and i was both maried a few times before. we stayed maired for 20 yrs. never though once about my X. and she didnot ether. we talked about this one time. if you reley care about someone . it does not make a shit wat they don or how they feel befor hand. it is what you fell at the present. scott

2/27/2010 7:05:33 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

callmeeileen
Ormond Beach, FL
65, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from newdirection6:
I have met some divorce men. I have gone out with some widowers. The widowers I have gone out with can't deal with moving forward. Talking about their dead wife. I can't match up to their wife. I told them they have to move on in life. The divorced men talkes about their ex's. Then all they want is a quickie. I guess being a widow can be hard as being a widower.

I was widowed 3/23/07.. Do I speak of my husband,, I do ! He was my life for 34 years..we made wonderful memories together,, Who I am today is very much a part of what we shared,, the birth of our son, for one. Am I looking for another to 'fill his shoes"?? no.. maybe I'm looking for the NEXT set of shoes to walk into my life. NO one could be the same as he was.. Nor am I looking to be THAT person to someone else who lost their love...just another adventure in this carousel we call "LIFE" A divorced person most times has chosen to be divorced in some way or another,, a widowed person had no choice. I wish you all success in finding your match.

2/28/2010 1:48:42 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

pooopsie
La Crosse, WI
71, joined Nov. 2009

The ones I have dated which is only a few have said that I will bring to much baggage with me and I will sooner or later talk about her and they think we should just get over it and forget and start new,sure sounds easy,RIGHT!!!

2/28/2010 6:00:16 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
sifurich
Appleton, WI
61, joined Jan. 2009

Quote from imseddy:
I do talk about my late husband, I cant help it, he was a part of my entire adult life. It doesn't mean I want the other men to be like him as to be honest he could be quite an a**hole lol. But, I also don't get upset when men talk about their ex lost loves or even other woman they have dated. It helps one get a better view of how others think and take different situations.

Your unique most women think if a guy talks about a past love they are being compared to them. Like your style. Will say this to all though. If a guy or lady feels they are in a comparisson with another you've lost, they probably aren't someone you want to be involved with anyways.
If I enetered another relationship they could not compare to my lost wife, yet at the same time don't expect them to. If we enter a reationship at that point it's about what we can build together you and I not all three of us

[Edited 2/28/2010 6:08:28 AM ]

2/28/2010 6:06:44 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
sifurich
Appleton, WI
61, joined Jan. 2009

Quote from passer_by:
After our spouses die, we tend to overlook the bad and put them on a pedestal. That's not fair for the other person that is trying to get to know you. I work very hard on not bringing Mike up on everything I do but his family and I are very close. His parents want me to move on and find someone but I think that guys feel overwhelmed when they realize that Mikes family is a package deal along with my family. It is going to have to take a special guy to overlook this and accept his family as mine. Hope that makes sense.

It's going to take a guy who sees how speacial you are and can truly love you. Just don't say he has to accept them. If you are open and honest about all from the start he will automatically do so becase he's yours

[Edited 2/28/2010 6:09:50 AM ]

3/6/2010 12:58:06 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

tennisbud
Monroe Township, NJ
79, joined Aug. 2009

In answer to the question: the very word widow or widowers has the image of DEATH...something most don't like to think about. And as for the word "Divorced", to me that seems to signify either a loser or someone with too many issues
who couldn't make it work the first, second, or third time around...Don't even like the word "Single" cause that implies that nobody ever asked to trot me down the aisle...

Which is why I call myself a BATCHLORETTE...!!!!

3/6/2010 2:53:08 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

battkitty57
Sarasota, FL
58, joined Mar. 2010

I wish I knew... when someone figures it out please let me know.

Terri

3/9/2010 10:43:43 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
mylovelovelove
Gatlinburg, TN
28, joined Feb. 2010

I think people are in a shook as we were ones when news first broke in , you don’t know what to do , feel lost , it’s easier just run away , wouldn’t it be so wonderful if we who is in this situation can just go to sleep and the morning day life just goes on like nothing ever even happen ! But the best thing of remembering everything next morning what I know what true love really feels like : ) RIP honey

3/9/2010 10:49:50 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
mylovelovelove
Gatlinburg, TN
28, joined Feb. 2010

oh , it's so true , I did think the same way - My husband and I had great marriage and it should be seen as a positive fact in new relationships …. But people just don’t know how to act what to say

3/10/2010 5:00:09 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

recurve123
Mackinaw, IL
63, joined Sep. 2009

Yep....WE wake up the next day ALONE.

THEY,....go home with their SPOUSE.

They look at each other and say,"oh,..poor 'so and so'.....and continue eating breakfast with their spouse.

WE,...eat alone,sleep alone,wake alone,etc....
WE didn't CHOOSE to be without or spouses.

I am divorced from my first wife,..WHEW!! I was HAPPY about that. Bring her up in conversation!! Are you kidding...

Big difference from having your love TAKEN from you.
All we have left are memories of what WE HAD,...and now WHAT WE LOST.
It will be an uncertain future for sure.
Those who date widowers should have some kind of respect for WE who are left behind.

Are we compairing people to our spouses,...I don't think so.
If I can be happy with a NEW LOVE,...great!

But don't expect me to erase my memories of what I used to have.

3/11/2010 10:33:32 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

entertainerjim
Haverhill, MA
56, joined Oct. 2009

I dont know but I havent got to meet anyone ever in many months Ive been on DH
99% of women on here never answer my emails... Im always respectful and never email again if you dont answer me the first time... dont want to appear to be a stocker or a stalker....hahaha

3/11/2010 10:34:13 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

entertainerjim
Haverhill, MA
56, joined Oct. 2009

twice widowed here in MASS since 1993

4/2/2010 4:43:08 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
nobs66
Racine, MN
49, joined Sep. 2009

I think a lot of people maybe feel, we'll never be able to love another. That our homes will be decorated at shrines in memory of our deceased spouces. Or that maybe everything in our relationship with another person would be compared to our previous marriage. And that they live live up to someone on a pedistal.

4/2/2010 9:12:00 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

looking4_prince
Over 7,500 Posts!! (9,257)
Twin Falls, ID
63, joined Mar. 2009

Everyone else has him on a pedestal...to me he was my husband...my life will never be the same,but I have come to terms with him being gone,and would like to move forward...life is sweeter when you have someone to share with..

4/10/2010 1:04:08 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
proverbwoman
Salisbury, NC
53, joined Feb. 2010

I'm not afraid to date a widower...in fact I prefer it, as I believe a widower intuitively knows what he is looking for because he did most likely than not had a successful relationship with his late wife. So to me he would be less likely to be a player and knowing the value of a good relationship would be more genuine.After being a nurse for so many years and watching the grieving process it is my opinon that talking about your late wife would be a compliment, as it would tell me you trusted me enough to let me in and share that part of your life with me. After all isn't that what true intimacy is all about? IN TO ME SEE. The way I see it you have something I want and need. You have a depth of understanding and appreciation for life that most people don't have unless they have gone through a near death experience like myself. All I want is to be loved and accepted for who I am by someone who know what true love is,values life, walks in peace and enjoys feeling time instead of it just passing by. TRISHA

4/26/2010 11:48:03 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

paccoastgirl
Seattle, WA
40, joined Apr. 2010

I was in a relationship with a widower and it was a hard situation. We had dated for about a month and a half - long enough to think there was something there when all of a sudden he turned a corner and started talking about his late wife, I don't mean innocent conversation but hurtful comparisons and even during intimate moments. He made it clear how special she was and how I was NOT going to eclipse her specialness or special place. He went so far as to share his meeting with a psychic with me - who allowed his wife to convey to him that their marriage was truly great, once in a life time and that they were soul mates and would be together again when he crosses over. It was hurtful and an experience that I do not look forward to repeating. I would think twice before dating a widower again.

I do not think all widows and widowers are like this but many are, I joined a chat group at the time. Care should be given to not make the new person feel second best. We are people too deserving the same kind of human treatment that would have been given to the late wife during the time they were together - from beginning to end.

Hope this sheds some lite as to why many people are fearful of dating a widow or widower. Its a relationship full of land-mines and we don't often know when we're going to step on one.

4/27/2010 12:28:01 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
libralady92366
Meadville, PA
49, joined Apr. 2010

Not sure why some people are scared to date a widow/er but with me just dating is a scary thought my mind goes in five hundred directions thinking about what the hell can and will happen. So if I am thinking this with a divorced or a single man I can just imagine what the other person must be thinking oh my god what if I say something that might remind her of him and then she will be weighing every word and movement that I may make I try to put their fears to rest by explaining that I am basically over him and am looking to start fresh with a new love. Sometimes it works other times it dont.

4/27/2010 5:09:18 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
cherokeeloves
Over 1,000 Posts (1,781)
Stephens City, VA
48, joined Apr. 2010

It could be that a person is afraid that the widow or widower is holding on to their past, Which will not allow the future in. Maybe this is why people are afraid to date a widow or widower.

4/27/2010 5:43:06 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

queenie48
Enterprise, AL
55, joined Sep. 2008

Quote from recurve123:

They look at each other and say,"oh,..poor 'so and so'.....and continue eating breakfast with their spouse.

I am divorced from my first wife,..WHEW!! I was HAPPY about that. Bring her up in conversation!! Are you kidding...

Those who date widowers should have some kind of respect for WE who are left behind.

I couldn't agree more...worded "PERFECTLY"

4/27/2010 6:00:18 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

luckylouie42
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,957)
Cedar Grove, WV
73, joined Mar. 2008

Reading all the posts in this thread, i think explains in detail , why some people are afraid to date widowers, and widows.

4/27/2010 8:23:19 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
cherokeeloves
Over 1,000 Posts (1,781)
Stephens City, VA
48, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from recurve123:

Amen to your statement

5/4/2010 6:36:46 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
doununder
Dalton, GA
55, joined Oct. 2009

speaking for myself i think it is wondering if i am comparing them,maybe i give out that kind of signal,but i don't mean to.i guess i need to watch what i say.

5/4/2010 9:26:26 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

dustyy88
Watervliet, MI
69, joined Jan. 2010

if you are on this site then you are on here for a reason. does it really matter, divorced or widow....................... what you have to think about is how hard it is to start over again.to meet someone for the first time.a conversation////// this is the first hard step i think.time will come when we will get better but it will take time.

5/5/2010 6:20:08 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
cathymcc52
Ore City, TX
57, joined May. 2010

Wow!....so everybody else has the same problem I do..I am a widow myself and most people will not respond for the very reasons you all have stated. This is crazy....but I guess it's not really surprising as most people can be very shallow. I am new so I hope that I can find at least friendships on here. A lot of single people know how to live being single, but the widows and widowers are suddenly single and feel lost and trying to get our footing again....and boy, is that hard!

5/5/2010 10:41:43 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

goldrush99
Over 1,000 Posts (1,773)
Pottstown, PA
76, joined Aug. 2009

Hi Cathy - If you are looking for friendships, then this is the place to be. You will find many sincere, friendly people on this site. I have 20 years of widow-hood and I must say that it seems just like yesterday that I lost the love of my life. I don't look to date anymore, but I did a few years ago and I didn't find that anyone was wary of me because I was a widow. I was the one with the problem -- I couldn't find anyone who came even close to having the traits that my husband had. He was a wonderful, caring man with a great sense of humor, sent me flowers for any occasion and even at times that were not special occasions. He took over the responsibility of "dad" for my five children, always included them on our vacations, boating excursions -- everything! I'm not willing to settle for anything less. I would rather be alone. I had 13 years with this man and I believe I have had more wonderful,loving experiences with him than most people have in a lifetime together so I just live with the memories.

I didn't mean to ramble. My purpose in responding to your post was to just let you know that there are many people out there who are not afraid to date a widow, and I hope you find someone. I checked out your profile and you have a very warm, friendly smile. I'm sure you will "catch someone's eye". As I said before, you will find many friends on this site. They are very open to communication, so good luck in your endeavors and I look forward to your posts.

5/6/2010 6:11:34 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
ms1958
Over 1,000 Posts (1,488)
Lobelville, TN
57, joined Apr. 2010

I dated a widower who totally removed everything from his home that reminded him of his
late wife. He said he did it because he was so sad. He always referred to the house as
his house. He had a step son and a stepgranddaughter. I told him it wouldn't bother me
to have pictures of his wife for her son and granddaughter. He wouldn't do it. I took the pictures he had and made a memory book for the kids. He is remarried now and his new wife won't even allow the departed wifes name mentioned. It seemed strange to me.
It was like he disgraced her memory. They were married for 23 years. I told him once if I had met her we would have been friends because she was more fun than him. I think my similarity to her was the attraction and then he wanted just the opposite. He always said I was the only one he had ever dated that his step son liked.

5/6/2010 9:39:26 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

callmeeileen
Ormond Beach, FL
65, joined Feb. 2008

I, personally, am NOT looking for someone to replace his shoes,, I'm looking for the 2nd pair of shoes in my life.
Good luck to all

5/6/2010 5:30:24 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
cathymcc52
Ore City, TX
57, joined May. 2010

Thanks Goldrush....It's good to know that I have someone and somewhere to talk...LOL. And, you are right, maybe it's me...maybe I put off vibes that I don't realize that makes some back up....I don't know, but in any case, I'm glad for the friendships I hope to be formed here...I do find the quietness is driving me nuts!!!!..lol.

5/6/2010 11:51:24 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
raith_2
Mountain Home, ID
55, joined Apr. 2010

Yea sometimes it like wearing a big W on your shirt or it feel that ways.LOL

I was married for 31 years and have to say the dating world has been different for me. I have dated a few and all being divorcees all the widows in the group here in town are in their 70-80s and not really interested in dating or remarrying.

What I have found is that being married that for 31 years women seem to be not only afraid of that but that you don't have the breakup baggage and hate that fuels them and so many others. Without having that same emotional issues and having been happy in a marriage it's hard for them to think it's possible or that you are able to move on with them.

I never really say much about my wife unless they ask and eventually they all ask and that is when the trouble starts. I'm always honest and up front about our life together. I have Kids and grandkids that are part of my life and she will always be apart of my life. I never hide that fact and try to be as compassionate about it. I do assure them that I'm not looking for her but the next rest of my life but their own insecurities can't be calmed by the fact that I'm ready to be with someone and if I'm with them it them.

~Raith

5/18/2010 12:50:45 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
1951countrygirl
Sherman, TX
57, joined Mar. 2010

Face it, people of my age, we all have a pass. Mine is I was married for 40 years and now a widow. What we had was our story. Even if you dated many times, every one compares the next...Is this person going to be nice or not. Every relationship is different, weather it is with a divorce person or a widow-er. The dating world is different now than it was in the past. Frankly it's scary. There is alot to think about. You do not want to catch something that you did not have before(std). Every relationship will have some likes and dislikes. You just have to build a new life. The old life is gone. But hopfully You had learned from it. Everyone makes mistakes, no one was perfect. Learn from your past relationships to make the next one better. life is like a school there is something new to learn everyday. I am ready to write a new story.

5/18/2010 1:40:17 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

funnyface4him
Butler, PA
48, joined Mar. 2010

The likes and dislikes scare me. I can only be me. But who is me? I was married for 24 years I got married when I was barely out of high schol. I loved being married maybe I was in love with the idea of being married and someone wanting me. But as much as I loved my husband he was pretty demanding at times. He had to have things done now not later. That kind of training over the years changed me. I didn't know that was a bad thing. That's all I knew. I've only been married once. My marriage was a marriage of pleasing my spouse maybe it was old fashioned but still that's all I knew. so now as a widow who never really dated how do I know how to behave. Unless I'm told something is wrong i don't know. I think I'm doing the right thing because that always made him happy but now it doesn't make others happy. I tried so hard to make it work to make it happen to do the right things but I know I messed up now. Maybe thats why people are afraid to date widows alot of us were married a long time we don't know anything else. maybe they figure that they can't compete with what we had. What they don't realize is that we are all differnet and we can change not in the sense of changing ourselves but changing old habits. some can make us better some can make us worse, we know we wont have that marriage again but we know when we embark on this new journey that thngs will be diferent but we need help to know what needs to be different. I know I feel like I'm a 17 year old trapped in a 43 year old body I have no clue on how to date or what is right to do . I just know what worked for us. I need more information

5/18/2010 9:28:41 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
recluse22
Woolwine, VA
62, joined May. 2010

Although I am fairly new to this widower thing, I do know that at some point I will want someone to share the rest of my life with. I have talked to several women, both divorcees and widows, and I will say that I am more comfortable talking to widows. The divorcees tend not to want to talk about the past. The widows are more likely to talk about their lost spouse. I enjoy sharing stories about the past and the things that happened, both good and bad. It gives me an insight into the person I am talking to, plus it gives me a chance to talk about my late wife. It helps the healing. I know I am not looking for a replacement for my wife, but at some point I will want someone to spend the rest of my life with. Everyone is different, and I know that the person I choose to be in my life will be different, not better or worse, just different.

5/21/2010 1:57:44 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
futrgmz
Mechanicsville, VA
59, joined Mar. 2010

WOW! Thank you all for this thread. I am glad to know that I am not alone. My wife and I were married as kids, and she passed 19 months ago, 1 week shy of our 31st anniversary. She will always be a part of me, and taught me how to love unconditionally, be a husband and father. I would have thought that 32 years in a relationship would demonstrate my capability of being a true, loving and loyal partner, instead of being a threat to someone else's insecurities. I am willing to unconditionally give my heart to another, but if I need to strip my mind and home of the memories of my lost love, I am better off being alone. I don't feel any better or more optimistic after reading this thread, but at least I have a better understanding. Maybe I should just give up the quest for my next love and take up a few new hobbies.

5/21/2010 2:40:44 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
river13009
Lancaster, VA
51, joined May. 2010

I wouldn't give up just yet. The thing I keep thinking about is that surely somewhere there is a man out there whether he is divorced, never been married or a widower that will love me for who I am. He will not be insecure about my past as I have been divorced and now a widow. He will just love me for me. I am the eternal optimist when it comes to love. At least he will know he will not be dealing with the ex who just will not let go no matter what you do...or the kids every other weekend going off to get their heads filled with crap by the ex or the in-laws...just be true to you and she will be there when you least expect it.Keep those eyes open though you don't want to miss her.

5/26/2010 5:42:39 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
62bobo
Over 2,000 Posts (2,449)
Marathon, NY
68, joined Mar. 2010

I think if people would just understand,that you are not trying to replace your loved one you just don't want to forget them.And at the same time you are trying to start a new life.After a while you will talk about your past less and less.

5/26/2010 11:26:29 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  

funnyface4him
Butler, PA
48, joined Mar. 2010

I'm personally not afraid to date another widowerer. I feel that the connection of losing a spouse will not make the relation work but I do believe that in a lot of ways it may help knowing you both have been through the same thing.

Theresa

5/26/2010 11:44:46 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
recluse22
Woolwine, VA
62, joined May. 2010

Quote from funnyface4him:
I'm personally not afraid to date another widowerer. I feel that the connection of losing a spouse will not make the relation work but I do believe that in a lot of ways it may help knowing you both have been through the same thing.

Theresa

Oh yes, dating another widow/er. The problem is dating those "others." You know, the ones that live out there who live in their ignorant bliss, having never known the pain and grief of loosing a spouse. Those seem to be the ones afraid. Afraid of the comparisons. Afraid of the widow/er not being able to "get over" the spouse. I don't know, maybe they are afraid it is contagious. What ever the reason, there don't seem to be very many of them ready to jump into a relationship with any of us. Regardless, I am sure that in the final analysis, they would find the problem to be with us lol.

5/31/2010 4:54:34 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
msdees
Las Vegas, NV
74, joined Mar. 2010

i don't know why anyone would want to talk about their late spouce or even compare the new person in their lives to the late husband/wife. If the new friend asks alot of questions about your late spouce then ok. But why I ask you folks would you want to dwell on your passed married life, if you out in the dating world, and lucky enough to meet a man/woman to share the last leg of life. You had the marriage, so now just enjoy your life and be happy you found someone to share time.
I'm a widow, and if I go out with a man I don't talk about my late husband unless he asks questions, and so far all they ask is how long has it been. My answer is a long time. Im not there with him to talk about my late husband. I'm with him to have a nice evening out to dinner and just general conversation. My life with my husband was wonderful and he was a good man. That's all I tell them if they persue this area of converstion.
I don't think a man really shy's away from a widow, I think the widow shy's away from the man she is dating,and knowing he is senitive to that conversation of her late husband, then she found away to be rid of this man she is dating.
You know that there are many men who only date widows, simply because they think she is left wealthy. These men sometimes are only after what they can get from her, and they prey on widows cause they think they are lonely and desparate for companionship.

5/31/2010 7:04:50 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
conandoyle50
North Beach, MD
57, joined Apr. 2010

Don't know about scared, but, I'll tell you why I would never do it again, and don't know if this is a common problem.

First is the children of the widow, who in my case were very rude, disrespectful, and so self centered that it never occurred to them as to what would make their mother happy.

Second is closure. I met this woman, and we hit it off great. Within a year, things were so wonderful that we became engaged. She told me we would be married after her daughter went off to college to make it easier for us. Her daughter went off to college, and passed the torch to her brother, who proceeded to do everything to disrupt our relationship. So, then she gave me a four year rule. After four years of being together we would be married. On the last year, as our four year anniversary approached, she started acting in a manner so as to sabotage our relationship, until I couldn't take it any more, and asked for the ring back, and ended the relationship.

Turns out I was the second person she did this with. When it came down to it, this was her explanation. As long as she was just dating, her husband was in some way still alive, and she could deal with that. But, once she was married, the realization that he was gone and never coming back would be something she would have to deal with, and even after ten years, this was something she was still not able to do.

So, I don't know about concerns of others when it comes to dating a widow, but that would be mine.

5/31/2010 9:43:07 AM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
joni1955
Over 2,000 Posts (3,784)
Ridley Park, PA
61, joined Nov. 2009

Quote from kcrick:
Passer by, that's been my experience. While with divorced women, you often have to deal with a person that is angry at their ex, never were able to express that anger against them and are looking for any male to take that anger out on....with a widow, they often feel like the loss of their spouse "just wasn't fair" and they pine for them and they often come up in conversations...like at a restaurant, "my husband always used to order that" or "Ralph always liked white cars too", or "I'm having dinner this Sunday with Jim's family"...

Although my husband did divorce me before he died, we did remain close and God has given me the grace to only see the good in him. And, to answer your question, I would actually prefer someone who is a widower. They would be more accepted by my church, for one thing and I like to talk about my husband sometimes and would encourage them to talk about their wife as well. I try to see their wife as someone I would be friends with.

5/31/2010 9:21:49 PM Why are people scared to date widows or widowers?  
recluse22
Woolwine, VA
62, joined May. 2010

Quote from conandoyle50:
Don't know about scared, but, I'll tell you why I would never do it again, and don't know if this is a common problem.

First is the children of the widow, who in my case were very rude, disrespectful, and so self centered that it never occurred to them as to what would make their mother happy.

Second is closure. I met this woman, and we hit it off great. Within a year, things were so wonderful that we became engaged. She told me we would be married after her daughter went off to college to make it easier for us. Her daughter went off to college, and passed the torch to her brother, who proceeded to do everything to disrupt our relationship. So, then she gave me a four year rule. After four years of being together we would be married. On the last year, as our four year anniversary approached, she started acting in a manner so as to sabotage our relationship, until I couldn't take it any more, and asked for the ring back, and ended the relationship.

Turns out I was the second person she did this with. When it came down to it, this was her explanation. As long as she was just dating, her husband was in some way still alive, and she could deal with that. But, once she was married, the realization that he was gone and never coming back would be something she would have to deal with, and even after ten years, this was something she was still not able to do.

So, I don't know about concerns of others when it comes to dating a widow, but that would be mine.

So I must assume you are not a widower?