Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

best online hookup apps

Scholars say that if anything is not initiated the proper way, it can t have a blessed ending. columbus personals You want to be cautious about marrying a foreignor. So that was the last meet up even tho he said issues will not come about once again bla bla. rubmaps forum For me it is not possible to have an intimate extended term partnership with a person without shared worldview and values, and I m sure it s the exact same for a lot of people.

rubratings

Realizing this will support you maintain your composure and be capable to chat extra casually. little rock singles events You do not have to be single or seeking for a date to participate. Otherwise I d focus on real life meetings by means of hobbies/interests/faith/mates network, and so on. locanto com mx On line, of course, she hadn t described any of it.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

10/2/2012 12:50:25 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
naturebiy
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (11,005)
Bangkok
Thailand
41, joined Jul. 2011

Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli

There has been no greater interpreter of Eastern Wisdom for the Western mind in the last century than Alan Watts. Throughout his lifetime of study, service, and "philosophical entertaining," Alan Watts put the mystical, ungraspable wisdom of the Ancients into terms that the modern Western mind could absorb and understand.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

10/2/2012 9:49:37 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (11,439)
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

My Catholic Bible doesn't say "I am "the" Son of God" either.

I have The New American Bible", a Catholic Bible.

It says "I am God's son".

I challenge anyone to show me where Jesus claims to be the only begotten son of God.

I don't think Jesus was claiming to be anything out of the ordinary. He was claiming to be a son of God as we are all children of God.

10/2/2012 10:17:23 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

Alan Watts makes the same error of assumption as many make when reading the scripture.

JOhn 10
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside

The error of Alan Watts is his assumption that scripture classifies all of mankind as being gods. Jesus never said any such thing nor does the scripture Jesus quoted say any such thing as all men are equally gods as Jesus was.

The specific statement in scripture is that to those specific men to whom the word of God came, it is those specific men who are called gods, and ONLY those men to whom the word of God came.

And that is the nitty grity of the scripture, if man receives the word of God, then and only then could he be qualified as being called a 'god'.

Generalization is assumption! And that is what Alan Watts is doing. He is generalizing the scripture, taking it out of the context of to whom it was originally spoken towards, and why, and he is making up his own philosophy based upon his generalized assumption.

A correct study of what is being said will show that what Alan Watts is teaching, has nothing to do with what Jesus was teaching.

Jesus was speaking about those specific people (Israel) who had received the word of God, which was the scripture, and NOT those who were pagan and had not received the scripture from God.

Unbelivers without the word of God, are never claimed to be gods, and it is dishonest or delusional to claim that Jesus said they were.

[Edited 10/2/2012 10:18:36 AM ]

10/2/2012 1:15:13 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
woodsmamma
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (32,881)
Babbitt, MN
64, joined Feb. 2009

That was an amazing vid!!!!

Alan Watts has put into words a brilliant concept!!!

So in my estimation the real wolves in sheeps clothing are those that preach a bastardized message, and that they (pastors) are preaching about themselves!!! And what's amazing is that they ,some of them, don't even know it!!!

Yes, what is good about a book that is only half there?
Cut and edited to fit the "churche's" control the masses agenda??

People like Jesus(if he was a real man), came to enlighten, with a message of freedom as opposed to the message being preached of behave or fry in Hell!!!

Heaven and Hell aren't places, they are a frame of mind,that we have personal responsibility to choose or reject for our selves ,for that day. We all know what a difference a day can make?????

10/2/2012 7:15:52 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
a_codger
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,065)
Mountain View, AB
55, joined Aug. 2009

More Watts...

Quote from naturebiy:
There has been no greater interpreter of Eastern Wisdom for the Western mind in the last century than Alan Watts.

10/2/2012 7:27:38 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
woodsmamma
Babbitt, MN
64, joined Feb. 2009

Yes Codger!!! I am enjoying the process not worrying about the end!! Helps me enjoy every one day at a time!! Be here now said the great Ram Das!!!

10/2/2012 7:51:11 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
a_codger
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,065)
Mountain View, AB
55, joined Aug. 2009

Quote from woodsmamma:
...not worrying about the end...

Me neither.

10/2/2012 8:17:17 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
woodsmamma
Babbitt, MN
64, joined Feb. 2009

Man that's good stuff!!! I heard Iris at Telluride Bluegrass Festival, she sang that one

And did a bunch of tunes with Jimmy Dale Gilmore!!

Any way, ain't that Alan Watts somethin'?????

10/2/2012 8:26:01 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
chrisbrz
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (15,780)
Wilmette, IL
42, joined May. 2011

Here's the lecture Watts gives that Natureb posted in the other thread that may have slipped by unnoticed by some.
Man is a Hoax ....Click-to-Play

10/3/2012 1:14:27 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

furchizedek
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (17,868)
Kingman, AZ
74, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from woodsmamma:
That was an amazing vid!!!!

Alan Watts has put into words a brilliant concept!!!

I agree. Awesome video/talk. Thank you. I've saved it.

10/3/2012 2:27:38 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
naturebiy
Bangkok
Thailand
41, joined Jul. 2011

here is a real good one, I believe it was filmed in 1971. There is very few actual video's with Watts visually speaking, most are just audio.

Alan Watts - A Conversation With Myself

10/3/2012 2:52:41 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
naturebiy
Bangkok
Thailand
41, joined Jul. 2011

The location of the last video I forgot to mention was his final resting place, which in itself has an interesting history, Druid Heights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/us/historic-status-weighed-for-druid-heights-a-countercultural-oasis.html

10/3/2012 9:36:09 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from cyrus2:
Alan Watts makes the same error of assumption as many make when reading the scripture.

JOhn 10
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside

The error of Alan Watts is his assumption that scripture classifies all of mankind as being gods. Jesus never said any such thing nor does the scripture Jesus quoted say any such thing as all men are equally gods as Jesus was.

The specific statement in scripture is that to those specific men to whom the word of God came, it is those specific men who are called gods, and ONLY those men to whom the word of God came.

And that is the nitty grity of the scripture, if man receives the word of God, then and only then could he be qualified as being called a 'god'.

Generalization is assumption! And that is what Alan Watts is doing. He is generalizing the scripture, taking it out of the context of to whom it was originally spoken towards, and why, and he is making up his own philosophy based upon his generalized assumption.

A correct study of what is being said will show that what Alan Watts is teaching, has nothing to do with what Jesus was teaching.

Jesus was speaking about those specific people (Israel) who had received the word of God, which was the scripture, and NOT those who were pagan and had not received the scripture from God.

Unbelivers without the word of God, are never claimed to be gods, and it is dishonest or delusional to claim that Jesus said they were.

It is all up to interpretation. Nowhere in the Bible does Christ claim to be the only begotten son of God. This was the marketing ploy that was contrived by the writers of the New Testament. They combined the theology of the cult of Isis and probably many other pagan cults of that time with Christs incredible message of salvation which was aimed at the poor and destitute of which there were many at this time of Roman domination. This message also struck a chord with many middle class mercantile Jews who lives in urban areas. That's who Paul wrote his letters too. These people wanted a good story that would compare to the God stories of the Greeks. Hence Acts. All they had to start with was a crucified rabble rousing criminal. Who by chance happened to be an incredibly brave man who had an incredible message that brought compassion and a completely new ethic into the Western world. But originally he was just a crucified criminal. They needed a story. So the came up with a virgin birth from The Imaculata, miracles, a nobel crucifiction a resurrection, and a promise to return with a Holy Kingdom of God. Here now was a fable that could stand up to classical greek literature and whats more it could withstand the scrutinization of greek philosophy, which is an entirely different story. The thing is when you just read what Christ said, and ignore the New Testament fable that the Gospel writers created about him, you begin to see the real Christ, and he is beautiful, he is mortal, and for that, he is more glorious than any man made God. A mere mortal standing up to tyranny and speaking for the the poor, the sick, the disenfranchised, and being horribly executed for it is way more gloriuos than any divine creation of man.

As for the text. Jesus issued a New Covenant. The Psalm 82 of the Old Testament, and I emphasize "Old" Testament not "New" Testament, which is really all that matters to "christians", does speak only to the Judges. In John 10:30 of the "New" Testament, however, Christ gives Psalm 82 new meaning. It gives new meaning to me anyway.

Christ said if God called those men Gods. He also said God had consecrated him and sent him into the world he was doing Gods work and that God was within him. That is what made him a son of god.

All believers in the words of Christ and of a divine spirit that is the world can claim the same thing. We are all consecrated by this divine spirit of creation. We are all capable of doing God's. Even protestants who trash the catholic concept of "Good Works" with their "Faith Alone" baloney. This divine spirit is within all of us. So as Christ claimed we too can claim to be children of God.

10/4/2012 8:57:26 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
angelpillow
Over 1,000 Posts (1,942)
Raeford, NC
55, joined Jun. 2009

""from Misterchris""

""I challenge anyone to show me where Jesus claims to be the only begotten son of God.""

" To Misterchris"

John 3:16

For god so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY BEGOTTON SON, that whosoever believeth
in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

[Edited 10/4/2012 9:00:15 PM ]

10/4/2012 11:31:42 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

_ourself_
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,511)
Hamilton, ON
44, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from angelpillow:
""from Misterchris""

""I challenge anyone to show me where Jesus claims to be the only begotten son of God.""

" To Misterchris"

For god so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY BEGOTTON SON, that whosoever believeth

That doesn't count, lol. That is somebody else claiming Jesus is the only begotten son, not Jesus.

10/5/2012 3:08:38 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
angelpillow
Over 1,000 Posts (1,942)
Raeford, NC
55, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from _ourself_:
That doesn't count, lol. That is somebody else claiming Jesus is the only begotten son, not Jesus.

By this comment, I am assuming that you do not believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God?

10/5/2012 3:36:12 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
74, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from _ourself_:
That doesn't count, lol. That is somebody else claiming Jesus is the only begotten son, not Jesus

-------------------------

It IS from Jesus. It's in RED in the bible.

That said, I want to comment on the below. Of course the bible is not the inspired word of God. Are you kidding? Here's the Christian DH Group here:
https://DateHookup.dating/Forum-5081.htm

This is the Religion Forum, it's open to everyone.

No one in their right mind could believe that these verses are from God, holy, inspired by God or in anyway related to God:

Isa 36:12 But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own shit, and drink their own piss with you?

Num 31:17-18 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

1Sa 15:2-3 Thus saith the LORD of hosts..., Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

It's blasphemy against God to say that those verses have anything to do with Him. It must make the Devil smile every time a Christian says those verses are "God's Word in The Holy Bible."

Quote from angelpillow:
By this comment, I am assuming that you do not believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God?

10/5/2012 3:52:43 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
angelpillow
Over 1,000 Posts (1,942)
Raeford, NC
55, joined Jun. 2009

Sir, I must disagree.

But, you have the right to believe in what you believe in, as well as I.

10/5/2012 11:42:23 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
woodsmamma
Babbitt, MN
64, joined Feb. 2009

Are there any vids of Alan Watts covering the band Blind Faith??

10/5/2012 11:49:22 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
hellifino51
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,589)
Mansfield, AR
66, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from angelpillow:
Sir, I must disagree.

But, you have the right to believe in what you believe in, as well as I.

Then you must think that your kind & loving god would issue these orders?

10/5/2012 12:14:40 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

Quote from heymisterchris:
It is all up to interpretation.

No it is all up to intellectual honesty, which dictates how a person will interpret.

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

The phrase being used 'Son of God' is an idiom. It is not implied the same as we would use it or interpret it, according to our level of understanding the common language of today.

We cannot use our understanding if we want an accurrate understanding of what was written 2000 years ago. We have to drop our pre-conceived ideas of what we think we understand, and we have to allow the 2000 year old language to explain it to us!

LIke I said 'Son of God' is an idiom being used. Just as 'only begotten son' is not implied as we today would understand what it means to be the 'ONLY BEGOTTEN'

look at scripture

Hebrews 11
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Here we have the inspired scripture writer calling Isaac, as Abraham's only begotten son. Clearly Ishmael was born before Isaac and Abraham had two sons.

Yet in scripture Isaac is called Abraham's 'only begotten son'

Scripture is NOT wrong

Isaac is Abraham's 'only begotten son' in the sense of how the ancients used the phrase, but not in the sense of how modern man wopuld use the phrase.

NOw getting back to
WHO, Jesus was saying was called 'gods' in scripture.

It was those who received the scripture and the law who were called 'gods', it was those to whom the 'word of God came, who were called 'gods'.

To develop a entire philosphy based upon one verse is a classic case of cherry picking the scripture. The one verse seems to support what Alan Watts may be suggesting, but only to those who are desiring that philosophy and not those who are desiring the TRUTH that is actually written in the whole of scripture.

What qualifies any man to say that John 10, where Jesus calls them 'gods' is true but yet the majority of the rest of scripture is false?

THose who pick and chose scripture to fit with there own philosphy, are not looking for truth, they are looking to prop up there own philosophy by cherry picking scripture out of context.

The illusion that the Divine Spirit is within us all innately is not a truth. We may certainly be classified as God's offspring as in God we live and move and have our being.

But as certain as there are in existance, children of God, and 'sons of' God, there are also children of the devil.

The phrase 'son of' is an idiom that defines what 'order' a person is from.

the 'idiom' is used to classify the order of the prophets

2 Kings 2:3
And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace.

The 'idiom' is used to classify the order of the singers.

Nehemiah 12:28
And the sons of the singers gathered themselves together, both out of the plain country round about Jerusalem, and from the villages of Netophathi;

and this 'idiom' is used to classify those who follow after the order of God.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The qualification of being a 'son of God' is by receiving the Spirit of God within us.

And this is where Alan Watts makes his own philosphy up by classifying that all men have an innate 'Spirit of God' within them that accompanies the natural and fleshly birth into this world.

And claiming an innate Divine Spiritual birth, accompanies the natural birth of man, is a contradiction of what Jesus said about being 'born of the Spirit'

But knowing the difference between the soul and the Spirit comes ONLY through the born again experience in man.

Jesus was NOT about teaching any religion to man.

Jesus was about bringing the new creation into existance, the new creation of the Spiritual alive man.

when man is born again, then they qualify as being a son of God, and not before.

Hebrews 2:10
For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

10/5/2012 12:14:53 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from angelpillow:
""from Misterchris""

" To Misterchris"

Christ did not say that. That is what the writers of John wrote about him. Try again. You failed to answer my question. Where in the bible does Christ say his is the only begotten son of God? Where does he make that claim? Where can you quote Christs dialougue in the bible in which he is reported to have said "I am the only begotten son of God"?

10/5/2012 12:23:04 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

Christ did not say that. That is what the writers of John wrote about him. Try again. You failed to answer my question. Where in the bible does Christ say his is the only begotten son of God? Where does he make that claim? Where can you quote Christs dialougue in the bible in which he is reported to have said "I am the only begotten son of God"?

How can you sit there and claim that Christ did not say that, when John the apostle and disciple who walked closely with Jesus and knew Jesus personally, claims Jesus did say that?

what evidence do you have but your own opinion?

10/5/2012 12:26:59 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

I am the Son of God?

You are quoting that KJV rag. Which is nothing more than a wicked interpolation commished by a scumbag monarch. It is not fit for scholarly debate. The very title in a blasphemous crock of shit. King James my ass. King a what. King a who. Christ is King. No other.

The word "the' in that piece of scripture is an interpolation.

The original grek texts didn't have the word "the"

My Catholic Bible doesn't have the word "the". It says "I am Gods Son"

As we all are.

10/5/2012 12:35:18 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from cyrus2:
How can you sit there and claim that Christ did not say that, when John the apostle and disciple who walked closely with Jesus and knew Jesus personally, claims Jesus did say that?

what evidence do you have but your own opinion?

The evidence that nowhere is the Bible does Christ persoannly make this claim.

I also claim scholarly evidence which dates John to about 90-100 BC

Some 55 to 60 years after Christs death. John would have been almost 90.

It is more likely that it was written by a Johannine community in layers with the final Gospel we know today being completed by the end of the first century.

Was the spirit of John's teachings within the Gospel? Sure I can believe that, but it wasn't written by him. It was written by someone else. It was someone elses interpretation of John's teachings. It was their imbelishment of John's story.

10/5/2012 12:41:50 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

You are quoting that KJV rag. Which is nothing more than a wicked interpolation commished by a scumbag monarch. It is not fit for scholarly debate. The very title in a blasphemous crock of shit. King James my ass. King a what. King a who. Christ is King. No other.

The word "the' in that piece of scripture is an interpolation.

The original grek texts didn't have the word "the"

My Catholic Bible doesn't have the word "the". It says "I am Gods Son"

As we all are.

NOw you are splitting hairs to try and validate your agenda

You cannot see that they are saying the same thing.

Compare

John 3:16 KJV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Hebrews 11:17 KJV
By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

compare those two verses in your Catholic bible, or whatever bible you chose, the meaning of only begotten son that is being implied, does not change when the two scriptures are drawn in parallel, as they should be.

Whatever is true for Isaac as being Abraham's 'only begotten son' is exactly the same for Jesus, when He is classified as God's 'only begotten son'

You are stuck in word play when the deeper meaning of the phrase 'only begotten son' being used, is what is to be understood.

The same understanding will be in every bible, when the verses are drawn in a parallel together as they should be.

10/5/2012 12:45:24 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

The evidence that nowhere is the Bible does Christ persoannly make this claim.

I also claim scholarly evidence which dates John to about 90-100 BC

Some 55 to 60 years after Christs death. John would have been almost 90.

It is more likely that it was written by a Johannine community in layers with the final Gospel we know today being completed by the end of the first century.

Was the spirit of John's teachings within the Gospel? Sure I can believe that, but it wasn't written by him. It was written by someone else. It was someone elses interpretation of John's teachings. It was their imbelishment of John's story.

YOur scholarary evidence is wrong and is an insult to what qualifies as being 'scholar'

John wrote all his writings prior to AD 70, and the claim that he wrote any of his inspired writings after that date is based upon traditions of men and chinese whispers that amount to 'he said she said', and it is not based upon the exegesis of the scripture itself.

a true scholar uses exegesis of scripture, and not 'he said she said ' traditions of men.

If you want to debate the date of John's writings then I would do this in another thread.

[Edited 10/5/2012 12:46:40 PM ]

10/5/2012 12:52:29 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from cyrus2:
Here we have the inspired scripture writer calling Isaac, as Abraham's only begotten son. Clearly Ishmael was born before Isaac and Abraham had two sons.

Yet in scripture Isaac is called Abraham's 'only begotten son'

Scripture is NOT wrong

Isaac is Abraham's 'only begotten son' in the sense of how the ancients used the phrase, but not in the sense of how modern man wopuld use the phrase.

NOw getting back to
WHO, Jesus was saying was called 'gods' in scripture.

It was those who received the scripture and the law who were called 'gods', it was those to whom the 'word of God came, who were called 'gods'.

To develop a entire philosphy based upon one verse is a classic case of cherry picking the scripture. The one verse seems to support what Alan Watts may be suggesting, but only to those who are desiring that philosophy and not those who are desiring the TRUTH that is actually written in the whole of scripture.

What qualifies any man to say that John 10, where Jesus calls them 'gods' is true but yet the majority of the rest of scripture is false?

THose who pick and chose scripture to fit with there own philosphy, are not looking for truth, they are looking to prop up there own philosophy by cherry picking scripture out of context.

The illusion that the Divine Spirit is within us all innately is not a truth. We may certainly be classified as God's offspring as in God we live and move and have our being.

But as certain as there are in existance, children of God, and 'sons of' God, there are also children of the devil.

The phrase 'son of' is an idiom that defines what 'order' a person is from.

the 'idiom' is used to classify the order of the prophets

2 Kings 2:3
And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace.

The 'idiom' is used to classify the order of the singers.

Nehemiah 12:28
And the sons of the singers gathered themselves together, both out of the plain country round about Jerusalem, and from the villages of Netophathi;

and this 'idiom' is used to classify those who follow after the order of God.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The qualification of being a 'son of God' is by receiving the Spirit of God within us.

And this is where Alan Watts makes his own philosphy up by classifying that all men have an innate 'Spirit of God' within them that accompanies the natural and fleshly birth into this world.

And claiming an innate Divine Spiritual birth, accompanies the natural birth of man, is a contradiction of what Jesus said about being 'born of the Spirit'

But knowing the difference between the soul and the Spirit comes ONLY through the born again experience in man.

Jesus was NOT about teaching any religion to man.

Jesus was about bringing the new creation into existance, the new creation of the Spiritual alive man.

when man is born again, then they qualify as being a son of God, and not before.

Hebrews 2:10
For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. "Implied". Paaaaleases. I don't want to here your ramblings about what's implied. I'm sure people have implied that you are a horses ass, but infact you are a person not the anatomical rump of a horse.

Nowhere in the bible does Christ claim to be the "only begotten son of God" okay. He never said it. No where in the bible does he say it. I don't give a hoot about any of your so called implications. Chrsit himself never makes the claim. It's what other people wrote about him.

10/5/2012 1:14:10 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
74, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from angelpillow:
Sir, I must disagree.

You disagree based on what?

Do you have proof "that the Bible is the inspired word of God"?

Absent proof, do you really feel the four verses I posted were inspired by the Holy God Creator of the Universe? When you contemplate them do you get a feeling of sacredness and awe for the Creator that makes you want to be like Him? What is it about eating crap and drinking pee and slaughtering babies and raping little girls that you feel is "from God" and holy in any way? And you don't see the blasphemy in holding those beliefs and in telling others that those verses are from God?

10/5/2012 1:44:33 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

_ourself_
Hamilton, ON
44, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from furchizedek:
Quote from _ourself_:
That doesn't count, lol. That is somebody else claiming Jesus is the only begotten son, not Jesus

-------------------------

It IS from Jesus. It's in RED in the bible.

Really? It has been a while since I read a red edition Bible and I really should get one but even so I'd have two objections about that. One, Jesus would have to either be talking about himself in the third person or talking about somebody else and 2, how was Jesus begotten if not through Mary?

By that I mean, how can God "give" his only begotten son when Jesus was still alive? If it was a gift to humanity then his being begotten would be the gift. If it was about the sacrifice then it had to be a foretelling of his own death. I'd have to look it up in context but my time is limited these days.

10/5/2012 1:47:42 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

_ourself_
Hamilton, ON
44, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from angelpillow:

You mean like God dictated to people what it wanted them to say and they wrote it down in the Bible and al other holy books are lies? No... No, I most certainly do not.

However, I think many things if not all things created or imagined are inspired by God because that which inspires is the very act of God.

By "act of God" I don't mean anything otherworldly or "supernatural"... Just the way things go.

[Edited 10/5/2012 1:50:57 PM ]

10/5/2012 2:15:33 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

_ourself_
Hamilton, ON
44, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from cyrus2:
NOw you are splitting hairs to try and validate your agenda

You cannot see that they are saying the same thing.

Compare

John 3:16 KJV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Hebrews 11:17 KJV
By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

compare those two verses in your Catholic bible, or whatever bible you chose, the meaning of only begotten son that is being implied, does not change when the two scriptures are drawn in parallel, as they should be.

Whatever is true for Isaac as being Abraham's 'only begotten son' is exactly the same for Jesus, when He is classified as God's 'only begotten son'

You are stuck in word play when the deeper meaning of the phrase 'only begotten son' being used, is what is to be understood.

The same understanding will be in every bible, when the verses are drawn in a parallel together as they should be.

You are missing the point. Nobody says that Jesus said he was the only begotten son of God. This is the writers opinion and as far as I am aware, Jesus himself never made that claim of himself.

John doesn't say "Jesus told me he is the only begotten son of God", he just says it as if his (Johns) opinion counts for more than the actual teaching that Jesus gave.

10/5/2012 4:13:14 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

Quote from _ourself_:
You are missing the point. Nobody says that Jesus said he was the only begotten son of God. This is the writers opinion and as far as I am aware, Jesus himself never made that claim of himself.

John doesn't say "Jesus told me he is the only begotten son of God", he just says it as if his (Johns) opinion counts for more than the actual teaching that Jesus gave.

Nobody except John and Jesus know what Jesus said to John, unless they were direct witnesses to the fact.

That is what qualifies as being a witness in a court of law.

However, John was a witness in the Spirit of God of Jesus Christ, John was annointed and inspired to write what the Spirit of God in JOhn, influenced John to write.

That is what John is claiming and what all the writers of the scripture claim!

Jesus was a 'Son of God' because of the works that He did. The works that Jesus did bore witness of Him being with the God and Father. And John is testifying of those works.

I understand the point that is trying to be made, (that 'only begotten son' is never mentioned, and I am saying that point is moot.

I brought the parallel scrriptural reference of Abraham calling Isaac his 'only begotten son' to prove how the term 'only begotten son', is not used as meaning what 'the point' is trying to prove.

'the point' is suggesting that we are all equally sons of God as Jesus was therefore Jesus never made a claim to be God's ONLY Son, obviously how could He claim to be the 'only begotten son' if he was one among many sons.

I agree that we are 'sons of God as Christ was a Son of God,

BUT

Jesus was God's 'ONLY BEGOTTEN SON' in the sense that He was unique in a way that no one else could compare with or share in equality with.

Just as Isaac was Abraham's 'only begotten son', because Isaac was unique and none of the others shared what Isaac possessed as Abraham's 'unique' son.

If a person wants to throw out the scripture as having any accountability to a standard of truth,

Then they are hypocrites to establish their philsophy on a scripture verse in the first place and try and pass their philsophy off as coming from a foundation of truth.

Ya can't say the scripture is false and then claim that a philosphy based on scripture is true???

10/5/2012 5:13:40 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
74, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from _ourself_:

We are all "only begotten" sons or daughters of someone in the sense that we are each a unique throw of the genetic dice. So we are the only begotten son (for example) with our particular characteristics. There is no other son exactly like us. You are the only begotten ourself, and I am the only begotten Furchizedek and Asha is the only begotten Asha with her uniqueness, and the same goes for Woodsmamma and Hellifino and everyone else.

10/5/2012 8:25:38 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from _ourself_:

Absoluetly Ourself. When you look at John 10:30 you can absolutely say that Jesus was saying he is a son of God because of his Good Works. This can be acheived by anyone. Anyone can become a child of God through his Good Works.

I would also say that Christ never said anything about this original sin thing, or that belief that he could forgive personal sin after his death. Jesus can't forgive you for anything. He's dead.

All he ever said about the forgiveness of sin was in Matthew Chapter 26:28.

"for this is my blood, the blood of the covenant to be poured out for the many for the forgiveness of sin."

That's all he ever says. He doesn't say he is the forgiver. It's a statement that can very well be said to mean he is shedding his blood for the many to embrace the idea of forgiveness of sin. We can forgive eachother. Jesus died because of sin, and he forgave.

We can still honor Christ's sacrifice as the Lamb of God (Agnus Dei). We don't have to attach any supernatural divinty to him. He can still be a mortal man who died to bring the idea of compassion, and forgiveness into a very brutal ancient world. A world were the idea of compassion for the poor and sick was a very new and foriegn concept. The idea of forgiveness was unheard of.

That is the beauty of his lfe. That is the beauty of the New Testament. The New Testament brings us the words of Christ. This is what really brings the incredible message of this man to us. Not what Saint Paul says. Definitely not what the Gospel writers say.

Just what Jesus himself is reported to have said. It's really all we have concerning this man. That and the basic story that he preached this messaage went to Jerusalem at Passover, caused an uproar preaching his message of a Kingdom of God that is already here, it is already within us, we just have to realize it, and condemned the powers that be with targeted protests such as his attack on the money changers at the Temple. For this trouble which he created at the very tense and potentially riotous time of Passover he was crucified.

All the rest of the New Testament is just fiction. At least in my opinion. To believe he was born of a virgin, by divine consumation, that he rose people from the dead and walked on the water, and rose from the dead on the third day is something I just can't believe.

I can't understand how any modern intelligent human being can believe that. I had trouble with a lot of this stuff when I was a kid in Catholic School, and I went to Catholic School back in the 60's when you still had Nuns teaching and Preists as Principles. It was probably the strictess indoctrination to the faith a child can recieve and I still never bought it.

Jesus is what I say he is. Not what some book says or what some Preist or Nun or Preacher says or what some Church says. I am a son of God just like Jesus Christ, and anyone who says different can go f*ck themselves. As they do go f**k themselves I will of course forgive them. I am afterall a Christian.

[Edited 10/5/2012 8:27:52 PM ]

10/5/2012 8:49:59 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

You can't say the scripture is false and then claim that a philosphy based on scripture is true???

You can so if you use your brain. You can study the times that Christ lived in. You can study the political and social climate that Christ lived in and then when you have that basic knowledge about the world that Christ was born into you can look at the New Testament and decide as an educated human being what makes sense and what doesn't.

You can look at what is reported in the Gospel as to what Christ said in the Gospel what happened to him as a result of saying this stuff. You can get a basic idea of who Christ was what he said and what happened to him. From this and your historical knowledege of the times you can make an educated decision about the real life of Christ, and what he was really about.

From studying the world in which the Gospels were written. Such as Mark and Matthew being written in the aftermath of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD, and the beginning of The Diaspora. This produced the obvious desperate and grim tone of these Gospels. These were Gospels written by jews for jewish followers of the faith. They were desperate for the coming a coming Christ as Messiah.

You can also look at the times the other Gospels and Letters were writin in. They were writen in a very competetive Greek culture that had many appealing Gods and some very sexy Goddesses. These cults and this Greek culture absolutely effected what the writers of Luke/Acts and John wrote.

So once you educate yourself as to what kid of world Christ lived in and what kind of world the Gospel writers lived in you absiolutely can draw a very real philosophy of forgiveness and compassion while saying these parts are false.

My Church does this. The Catholic Church had already declared Genesis to be historicall untrue while still holding spiritually true philosphy. All this takes is an education. I suggest you get one. You can do this by going to any online book store.

[Edited 10/5/2012 8:50:22 PM ]

10/5/2012 9:05:05 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

embrose
Atlanta, GA
44, joined Jun. 2012

It says in the Bible that ye are all gods children of the most high God.Jesus was not the God or he was the not the Creator.

10/6/2012 1:38:12 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
chrisbrz
Wilmette, IL
42, joined May. 2011

You can so if you use your brain. You can study the times that Christ lived in. You can study the political and social climate that Christ lived in and then when you have that basic knowledge about the world that Christ was born into you can look at the New Testament and decide as an educated human being what makes sense and what doesn't.

You can look at what is reported in the Gospel as to what Christ said in the Gospel what happened to him as a result of saying this stuff. You can get a basic idea of who Christ was what he said and what happened to him. From this and your historical knowledege of the times you can make an educated decision about the real life of Christ, and what he was really about.

From studying the world in which the Gospels were written. Such as Mark and Matthew being written in the aftermath of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD, and the beginning of The Diaspora. This produced the obvious desperate and grim tone of these Gospels. These were Gospels written by jews for jewish followers of the faith. They were desperate for the coming a coming Christ as Messiah.

You can also look at the times the other Gospels and Letters were writin in. They were writen in a very competetive Greek culture that had many appealing Gods and some very sexy Goddesses. These cults and this Greek culture absolutely effected what the writers of Luke/Acts and John wrote.

So once you educate yourself as to what kid of world Christ lived in and what kind of world the Gospel writers lived in you absiolutely can draw a very real philosophy of forgiveness and compassion while saying these parts are false.
My Church does this. The Catholic Church had already declared Genesis to be historicall untrue while still holding spiritually true philosphy. All this takes is an education. I suggest you get one. You can do this by going to any online book store.

You have some of the worlds leading biblical scholars that support what you've posted in this thread. I know your familiar with Ehrman and Pagels but I'm going to post a lecture and 2 interviews of Dr. Ehrman for others that aren't familar with his work.

"Hidden Christianity" .....Click-to-Play

"Jesus Interupted" - Coast to Coast pt.8 .....Click-to-Play

"Jesus Interupted" pt.9 ......Click-to-Play

10/6/2012 1:49:40 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
mr_majestic2u
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,007)
Wing, ND
56, joined Jul. 2012

10/6/2012 6:13:42 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from chrisbrz:

You have some of the worlds leading biblical scholars that support what you've posted in this thread. I know your familiar with Ehrman and Pagels but I'm going to post a lecture and 2 interviews of Dr. Ehrman for others that aren't familar with his work.

"Hidden Christianity" .....Click-to-Play

"Jesus Interupted" - Coast to Coast pt.8 .....Click-to-Play

"Jesus Interupted" pt.9 ......Click-to-Play

I'm very fa,iliar with Elaine Pagels. Mostly from her video and documentary work. I've never read any of her books though. My favorite Christ historian is John Dominic Crossan. I'm currently reading his stuff and have been for the past few years. He is incredible. He brings such an incite into the man that Christ was. That man is way more glorious than any man made God bullcrap. I'm going to watch the stuff yiou posted just as soon as I fix a cup of coffee. BTW Chris what do you think about that infeild fly rule call last night. That sucked. I was looking forward to a basesloaded one out situation for the Braves that would have been fun.

[Edited 10/6/2012 6:16:39 AM ]

10/6/2012 10:31:30 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

Absoluetly Ourself. When you look at John 10:30 you can absolutely say that Jesus was saying he is a son of God because of his Good Works. This can be acheived by anyone. Anyone can become a child of God through his Good Works.

I would also say that Christ never said anything about this original sin thing, or that belief that he could forgive personal sin after his death. Jesus can't forgive you for anything. He's dead.

All he ever said about the forgiveness of sin was in Matthew Chapter 26:28.

"for this is my blood, the blood of the covenant to be poured out for the many for the forgiveness of sin."

That's all he ever says. He doesn't say he is the forgiver. It's a statement that can very well be said to mean he is shedding his blood for the many to embrace the idea of forgiveness of sin. We can forgive eachother. Jesus died because of sin, and he forgave.

When you pick and chose what you want to accept as truth then yuou can make up whatever you want.

But you are wrong!

luke 5
23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

The rest of your philosophy is nothing more than a seeking after of self righteous,

as is every philosphy that denies that Jesus died FOR the sin of the world.

10/6/2012 10:38:47 AM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
cyrus2
Over 2,000 Posts (2,350)
Victoria, BC
56, joined Apr. 2012

what a load of crap!

at the end of all your fumbling around trying to apply your human intellectual understanding, you will be no closer to understanding the spiritual truth written in scripture, than when you began.

Corinthians 1:18
[ Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom ] For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God

1 Corinthians 1:25
For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit

10/6/2012 1:02:03 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
chrisbrz
Wilmette, IL
42, joined May. 2011

Chris I only made a brief comment on the IF FLY play in your thread, see my post in Low's "Redleg" thread, I went in more detail, I didn't want to type it twice.

10/6/2012 1:36:05 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
heymisterchris
Hicksville, NY
56, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from cyrus2:
When you pick and chose what you want to accept as truth then yuou can make up whatever you want.

But you are wrong!

luke 5
23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

The rest of your philosophy is nothing more than a seeking after of self righteous,

No, I disagree. Jesus died because of the sins of the world. Dying for them is an impossibilty. No human can die "for" sin. I mean how exactly does that work.

Oh yeah that's right you think he was the divine only begotten son of God.

Besides we can still seek and find salvation from Christ just being a mortal man and dying because of sin of the world. I know I did.

BTW picking and choosing what we decide to be truth is exactly what philosophy is. LOL.

10/6/2012 6:07:00 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

_ourself_
Hamilton, ON
44, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from cyrus2:

But you are wrong!

luke 5

Is "man" another word for "God"?

Whether or not we are forgiven for our sins against others is up to the ones we have sinned against. Our actions are our only true possessions, they can not just be wished away.

Sounds kind of silly to me... Jesus died BECAUSE of the sins of the world, not for them, lol. He lived to free us of the notion of sin and was killed over his teachings.

I for one think we'd be better off if he lived a long life so he could continue his teachings.

10/6/2012 9:57:26 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
74, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from _ourself_:
Sounds kind of silly to me... Jesus died BECAUSE of the sins of the world, not for them, lol. He lived to free us of the notion of sin and was killed over his teachings.

I for one think we'd be better off if he lived a long life so he could continue his teachings.

cyrus (I have him blocked) said: "as is every philosphy that denies that Jesus died FOR the sin of the world."

Neither Jesus nor any of his real apostles ever preached that gospel to the people while Jesus was alive, "that Jesus died for the sin(s) of the world." It should be obvious that that gospel is the creation of men who followed, after Jesus died. It's a doctrine from men, not from Jesus. cyrus doesn't know why Jesus came to earth, even though Jesus clearly says why, in the bible:

“To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth.” (John 18:37)

Christians don't listen to Jesus, they have their own reasons why Jesus came to earth and by God nothing is going to change what they believe. Their cult leader, Paul, has pre-warned them against believing anything other than what he, Paul, says:

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Gal_1:8)

It's classic mind control cult stuff.

10/7/2012 11:21:25 PM Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli  
mr_majestic2u
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,007)
Wing, ND
56, joined Jul. 2012