Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

gay hookup tonight

Upload your most effective photos and reveal much more about yourself on your single profile. craigslist blythe ca Women open the app, pick males they like, and that is it. You can also use this concept as an efficient speed meeting icebreaker. does dirty tinder work With the free of charge alternative, members get limited messages from their top picks that Match has chosen for them primarily based on compatibility.

best apple hookup apps

So, you might want a thing long term or you might choose one thing a lot more casual. staten island over 40 singles It pissed me off then to be so blatantly employed, but she did finish up paying for my meal and drive me house in the rain so I guess it wasn t that poor in the end. Definitely a will have to study for any one interested in on line gaming. freesnapmilf com Speaking from encounter, the strangest dates are virtually often the pretty first time you go out with a person new.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

1/13/2013 1:22:52 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Do we need to reinterpret the second ammendment? Do we let the government take it away? Should only the police and military be armed and dangerous? The miliia?

What is the militia anyway?

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution...

Why not just do more detaiiled background checks on everybody? Why should anyone have to pass a test to exercise a simple fundamental individual right? If so I propose a civics test before we allow people to vote. After all, allowing people that are ignorant of the constitution, our laws, the way government works, US History, and American culture and ideas are much more dangerous and surely have no business doing anything as important as choosing our leaders.

Besides, with all the guns already in the hands of people starting up something new will have little effect and it will be another expansion of government with accompanying expense that we surely don't need any more of. With each new law they make, rules they dream up and add to the Federal Register every day, and regulation they publish they continue to tighten control over the people and erode our freedoms. We already have way too much of that kind of thing. Has your kid tried to set up and run a Lemonaide Stand lately? Gads!

Why not just identify dangerous and crazy people and put a leash on them. I bet if you have one in your neighborhood you know who it is already. We do that with criminals and sex offenders. Probably should with politicians, too. Crazy people will do crazy stuff and having a gun or not has little to do with it. If they don't have a gun there are thousands of other tools they can use. Anybody else see the "Neanderthal AK-47 Assault Rock" listed on Ebay for $70? You can probably pick one of those up in your back yard.

Any thoughts people?

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

1/14/2013 9:30:40 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,851)
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

as regards the second amendment, state militias have been defined by the various militia acts as the national guard. and nothing in the second amendment or anywhere in the constitution is government restricted from enacting firearms laws.

1/14/2013 11:25:32 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from jrbogie1949:
as regards the second amendment, state militias have been defined by the various militia acts as the national guard. and nothing in the second amendment or anywhere in the constitution is government restricted from enacting firearms laws.

So what? It doesn't change the facts of the original intent and definition. It is merely politically re-branding of a term already well known. Just "saying so" doesn't make something so. Such a notion is a common error often made by progressive liberal thinkers and taken by superficial thinkers to change the facts when in fact it doesn't.

1/14/2013 11:32:34 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

It is a little difficult to successfully argue with the original intent of the Second Ammendment when the one of the authors explained the meaning so clearly.

According to an article in my local newspaper today there were 99 murders in Oklahoma City last year. OKC's police chief attributed most of them to drug dealers and gangs.

Oklahoma recently passed a universal weapons carry law where any citizen can openly carry a firearm. There are no reports of anyone abusing that yet or a breakout of the OK Corral.

In other news there were thousands of killings in Chicago last year attributed to the same perpetrators where many were young black males shooting each other. Chicago has some of the most draconian firearms laws in the nation.

Isn't it telling that firearms viloence is attributed to the same people in both cities regardless of gun control? The tragedy at Newtown was perpetrated by a cowardly fool far removed from any semblance of a reasonable, responsible, and intelligent person.

Regardless of well intentioned sensibilities with respect to this terrible crime stipping or abridging the fundamental rights of all citizens beause of the deviant behavior of one lost soul is not a solution to anything. In fact it perpetrates a new "crime" against law abiding citizens in itself.

[Edited 1/14/2013 11:35:17 AM ]

1/14/2013 12:07:08 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

how can anyone know what the founders intended? and don't throw the federalist papers at me. I've heard it all before and read them in their entirety. simply three guys opining who are long deceased. the courts define the wording in the constitution, not a bunch of guys long dead and no two judges see the intent of the founders the same anyway. at any rate, it's all settled law which defines the state militias as the national guard and plenty of gun laws that the courts have not found unconstitutional. but I do agree that what is said here matters not.

1/14/2013 1:25:00 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from jrbogie1949:
how can anyone know what the founders intended? and don't throw the federalist papers at me. I've heard it all before and read them in their entirety. simply three guys opining who are long deceased. the courts define the wording in the constitution, not a bunch of guys long dead and no two judges see the intent of the founders the same anyway. at any rate, it's all settled law which defines the state militias as the national guard and plenty of gun laws that the courts have not found unconstitutional. but I do agree that what is said here matters not.

So you reject the very words of the people that designed this great experiment? How quaint. No amount of "legislating from the bench" can change the purity of the ideas of personal responsibility, indivual freedom, and liberty.

That is precisely the reason for the second ammendment. The second ammendment has nothing to do with hunting or sport shooting or arming the military or police. It gives each individual citizen the right and the power to defend themselves, their property, their families, including ther rights and sacred honor.

It is not only the people's right, but duty to change their government when it becomes oppressive. An unarmed populace cannot do that. It is the first catalyst that started the revolution.

On April 19, 1775, British troops, some 800 strong, were dispatched to Concord, Massachusetts, to arrest Sam Adams and John Hanc*ck and to seize a cache of weapons known to be stored at Concord. When Dr. Joseph Warren sent Paul Revere to warn Pastor Jonas Clark (in whose home Adams and Hanc*ck were staying) that the Crown’s troops were on their way to arrest the two men and seize the guns at Concord, he alerted his male congregants. About 60-70 men from the Church of Lexington stood armed on Lexington Green awaiting the Red Coats.

Upon spotting the citizen militia, a British officer demanded the men throw down their arms. They refused; and the British troops immediately opened fire. Eight of the Minutemen were instantly killed. The colonists returned fire in self-defense, and the shot was fired that was heard ’round the world. By the time the troops arrived at the Concord Bridge, just a few miles away, hundreds of colonists were waiting for them with muskets in hand, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Precisely the same ideas apply to events then, now, and in the future. I believe these rights must be preserved. Without them we are ar the mercy of whatever gaggle of politicians is successful at bullshitting their way to power. The government is supposed to be the servant. What many in it intend is to become the our masters. They need to know we have recourse, even if it is as extreme as resorting to the use of force.

1/14/2013 1:37:39 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

I reject nothing. but there's no getting around a couple of facts. one, the people who designed this great experiment are no longer around and two, they wrote article three to establish the judiciary. call it legislating from the bench all you want but as you said yourself, saying it doesn't make it so. what is so is settled law.

1/14/2013 2:15:04 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from jrbogie1949:
I reject nothing. but there's no getting around a couple of facts. one, the people who designed this great experiment are no longer around and two, they wrote article three to establish the judiciary. call it legislating from the bench all you want but as you said yourself, saying it doesn't make it so. what is so is settled law.

Until the next appeal or shift in the politics of each appellate, State Supreme, Federal, US District, and US Supreme Court. They opine and vote along ideological political and party lines. The courts are supposed to be above politics and merely interpret the law, not create it.

1/14/2013 4:33:50 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

can you cite one law, statute, ordinance or act that a court enacted?

1/14/2013 4:40:30 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

did john Roberts opine and vote along political party lines in the obamacare case?

1/14/2013 11:39:21 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Must apologize for whats his name. Back to the topic.

Several democratic governors are making a big push for tighter gun laws as the debate over gun control heats up. While crime rates continue to decline in self sufficeint red states populated by people that believe in personal responsibility and taking care of themselves criminals will have a free hand to begin thinning out the sheep in the blue ones. I hope they hurry. I can't think of a better idea to improve the chances of real Americans recapturing Washington than allowing progressive liberals and people with their hands out to let themselves be killed so they won't be around for the next round of national elections.

1/15/2013 9:08:57 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

funny. you whine about judges voting along party lines or their personal opinion and then apologize for Roberts, a conservative like yourself, who looks past all that and applies the law as he sees it. legislating from the bench is a real b*tch when a vote goes against you huh? and still waiting for examples of that legislation you say has been enacted by the courts.

1/15/2013 12:43:57 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from jrbogie1949:
funny. you whine about judges voting along party lines or their personal opinion and then apologize for Roberts, a conservative like yourself, who looks past all that and applies the law as he sees it. legislating from the bench is a real b*tch when a vote goes against you huh? and still waiting for examples of that legislation you say has been enacted by the courts.

There you go trying to change the subject and direction of the debate .... again. What is it with liberals? They simply can't discuss something when they have no knowledge or understanding of it so they try to reinvent the presmise to suit their twisted ideas and weak logic.

Last time knucklehead, and then we will move on. I only post this for anyone that is not familiar with "bogie man" and myself. I am not a conservative but will admit I tolerate them better than progressive liberals like "bogie man". I don't like Roberts, nor the Affordable Health Care Act and have never agreed with the commerce clause including it's origins in "selling yourself grain". I refuse to submit to becoming one of "sheeple" that liberals want us all to be.

Now back to the subject that it will probably be impossible to keep "bogie boy" attuned to:

As far as fundamental Constitutional rights are concerned even Congress can't change those in it's legislative vacuum. It takes a constitutional convention and ratification by the individual states and commonwealths. A look at any election map clearly indicates there are simply not enough blue ones to make a difference in favor of progressive liberal leaning states. The libs are pissing up a rope on this one.

I will resist and never comply with any executive order seeking to use political slight of hand (something liberals tirelessly attempt) or political trickery (never talk about the real issue, rebrand or redefine it into something meaningless that sounds good) to circumvent or redefine my right to keep and near arms as I choose.

Gun ownership is a right we have to not only protect ourselves from pesky varmits and for sporting purposes, it is to protect us from predators of all kinds, including a tyranical government deluded to thinking it is in charge and we the people are merely subject citizens who must pick up the tab.

I say this to Mr. Obama. "We are not your subjects. You are not our king. As a veteran I pledged my life to defend, protect and uphold the constitution and nothing has changed!".

Note to posters: Comments are welcome but please stay on subject. If you want to discuss something else you can always start your own thread.

1/15/2013 10:34:04 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from 58dpilot:
There you go trying to change the subject and direction of the debate .... again. What is it with liberals? They simply can't discuss something when they have no knowledge or understanding of it so they try to reinvent the presmise to suit their twisted ideas and weak logic.

Last time knucklehead, and then we will move on. I only post this for anyone that is not familiar with "bogie man" and myself. I am not a conservative but will admit I tolerate them better than progressive liberals like "bogie man". I don't like Roberts, nor the Affordable Health Care Act and have never agreed with the commerce clause including it's origins in "selling yourself grain". I refuse to submit to becoming one of "sheeple" that liberals want us all to be.

Now back to the subject that it will probably be impossible to keep "bogie boy" attuned to:

As far as fundamental Constitutional rights are concerned even Congress can't change those in it's legislative vacuum. It takes a constitutional convention and ratification by the individual states and commonwealths. A look at any election map clearly indicates there are simply not enough blue ones to make a difference in favor of progressive liberal leaning states. The libs are pissing up a rope on this one.

I will resist and never comply with any executive order seeking to use political slight of hand (something liberals tirelessly attempt) or political trickery (never talk about the real issue, rebrand or redefine it into something meaningless that sounds good) to circumvent or redefine my right to keep and near arms as I choose.

Gun ownership is a right we have to not only protect ourselves from pesky varmits and for sporting purposes, it is to protect us from predators of all kinds, including a tyranical government deluded to thinking it is in charge and we the people are merely subject citizens who must pick up the tab.

I say this to Mr. Obama. "We are not your subjects. You are not our king. As a veteran I pledged my life to defend, protect and uphold the constitution and nothing has changed!".

Note to posters: Comments are welcome but please stay on subject. If you want to discuss something else you can always start your own thread.

of

i'm off topic? I simply responded to your claim that judges legislate from the bench. in this post and your own op you ask if there is a need to reinterpret the second amendment. who interprets the constitution if not the courts? obviously you don't like Roberts or Obama care. why else would anybody absurdly suggest legislating from the bench if not when a decision goes the way you don't like. as to your note to posters, i'm the only one here to waste my time on this shit and for that you resort to name calling.

1/16/2013 9:08:54 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Moving on. Definition of gun control: The proper selection of a firearm for a purpose, target identification, application of grip, target acquisition, sight alignment, trigger control, sear release, and repeat.

I'm magnumimous! Have .22 magnum, .357 magnum, .44 magnum and .454 Casull. They can have my magnums when they pry my cold dead hands from around them!

1/16/2013 10:17:32 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from 58dpilot:
Moving on. Definition of gun control: The proper selection of a firearm for a purpose, target identification, application of grip, target acquisition, sight alignment, trigger control, sear release, and repeat.

I'm magnumimous! Have .22 magnum, .357 magnum, .44 magnum and .454 Casull. They can have my magnums when they pry my cold dead hands from around them!

what has any of this to do with YOUR question regarding a need to reinterpret the 2nd amendment or how is 'militia' defined?

1/16/2013 2:21:07 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

You seem confused. There is no need to "reinterpret" the 2nd Ammendment. It's meaning and purpose is clear and it is one that any true American Patriot will stand for, keep, and protect. Any Amereican not willing to defend their freedoms, even to shed their last drop of blood for them, is a coward without honor that does not deserve them. A person that prostrates himself before any government is neither a real man nor is he free. Such a person is more like a sheep, and deserves to be known as one among "Sheeple".

1/16/2013 3:30:57 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

So now comes Obama with a new initiative. He wants to track everything I do with my guns, like he wants to track your car mileage, wants an "assualt" wepons ban so only the government has "sophisticated" high tech weapons, wants to ban "dangerous armor piercing bullets" when onl...y police and government are allowed to buy bullet resistant and bullet proof vests, put a 10 round limit on magazines except for the government and police, and in a truely hilarious turn create gun trafficking laws penalizing people who help criminals get guns. I wonder if that will be retroactive to Holder and "Fast and Furious"?

What makes the whole thing particularly disgusting is he makes this announcement surrounded by children in a photo op that reminds one of the tactics of Hitller and Saddam Hussein. These kinds of men would have us believe we should do it for our country, do it for our community, for our neighbors, and most of all for the children using one of the most common "bait and switch" tactics ever used by a despot. Use a noble idea to promote an ignoble cause.

This guy wants us to take him seriously? Does he take people for fools? One thing is certain. His initiatives are expressly designed to put the government at all levels above you and to ensure that you do not have the means to resist. The issue of securing our schools and the Second Ammendment are completely different things. They are only connected at the convenience of politicians that would use then to gain absolute control over you.

1/16/2013 7:07:57 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Thanks, Andy. Finally someone besides me with a bit of reason in this thread.

1/16/2013 7:28:35 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

you brought up the reinterpreting of the 2nd amendment, not me. you brought up militias, not me. if your point is about an Obama press statement then you make your point poorly using the 2nd amendment or the militia. here's what you don't seem to get. nothing in the 2nd amendment prevents government from enacting strict gun laws. I didn't decide that, Antonin scalia did who is likely the most conservative gun nut to ever wear a black robe.

1/17/2013 9:26:32 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from andy505050:
There is not "reason" right now. Not on either side of this debate. One side thinks its smart to just take away a class of guns because they look scary and one side thinks their little guns are going to be able to stop uncle sam from tyranny.

Our govt has drones, tanks, nukes, artillary, missles, helicopters, jets and god knows what else. Any revolution for it to be successful would have to start at the state level with a governor who had control of his states reserves and national guard forces and control of the weapons systems they have to even have a chance.

so the gun folks need to forget that. now the anti-gun ppl are just as bad. It is so easy to blame a hunk of metal instead of facing the real problem. Its like taking morphine and trying to forget your hand just got cut off. I want real solutions. Because people are going to die and not just from guns.

If this a**hole in connecticut couldn't get guns, he would have bombed the place or went in with a knife. Hell we've all seen horror movies, we all know what a motivated killer can do with just the items that are around them.

I do believe regulation is important. Anything we can do to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them I'm for. But just banning a class of guns because they look scary.....don't make much sense to me. I'd bet the cheap handguns on the streets have killed more people.

The irony is that Obama wants to "protect" us by removing our means of protecting ourselves. Law enforcement is good at cleaning up the mess and investigating atrocities, however it can do nothing to stop a determined psychopath with a plan. If you can't protect yourself, there is no meaningful protection.

1/17/2013 9:29:58 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

andy, i'd say there's 'no reason' on either side of the extremes in this debate. there is plenty of reason in the middle. what the radicals on both sides can't seem to get is that there are people like me that are both pro gun rights and at the same time pro strict gun regulation. gabby giffords is an example. this forum is titled 'independents' but I don't see much independent thought here. much of the posts here are the same old partisan rhetoric that can be found on the political forum such as this nonsense that the 2nd amendment does anything to restrict government from enacting gun laws.

[Edited 1/17/2013 9:31:12 AM ]

1/17/2013 5:46:00 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from jrbogie1949:
andy, i'd say there's 'no reason' on either side of the extremes in this debate. there is plenty of reason in the middle. what the radicals on both sides can't seem to get is that there are people like me that are both pro gun rights and at the same time pro strict gun regulation. gabby giffords is an example. this forum is titled 'independents' but I don't see much independent thought here. much of the posts here are the same old partisan rhetoric that can be found on the political forum such as this nonsense that the 2nd amendment does anything to restrict government from enacting gun laws.

And that is why you are such an insignificant "booger" bogie man. Can't you see why government can not make laws designed to erode fundamental rights piece by piece until they don't rationally exist anymore? There ain't no "sides" you poor fool. Fundamental is just that.

Gabby Giffords got her a** shot by a madman and let it go to her head (no pun intended) and she is not rational by any measure as a result of it. On the contrary, she like many demoncraps and liberals can't live with herself if we don't all line up to suffer with her. The reality is that she was a victim. There are a lot of victims in the world and she is just one tiny insignificant participant. So what?

That doesn't make the rest of the world a victim with her. Shit happens. Her bad luck is no reason for the rest of us to give up anything that had nothing to do with her misfortune and did not contribute to it. Anyone that can't see the plain simple facts in that are too stupid to warrant even the smallest recognition or attention.

Wake up foolish insignificant one. Get over it and be a man.

[Edited 1/17/2013 5:48:06 PM ]

1/28/2013 8:34:58 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Having failed at making a case in other areas now the progressives have siezed upon the idea of "closing the gun show loophole". Continuing their quest at advancing a failed agenda they have finally seized on something that doesn't really exist. There is no "gun show loophole" to close.

The vast majority of exhibitors at guns shows are federally licensed firearms dealers, in fact more than 99% of exhibitors are. Private exhibitors are not only uncommon, they hardly exist. The fact is that all federally licensed dealers must complete all required checks and follow any other applicable laws when they make a transaction no matter where they are. Including at gunshows, so 99 plus percent of transactions at gun shows involve filling out the federal form and making the phone call to the government to make sure the person is OK to sell to.

IF there is a loophole at all it is if a couple guys get together and make there own deal in the parking lot or something. That is perfectly legal and they don't need a gun show to do it. Individual private citizens by and sell guns all the time (check your local newspaper) and it doesn't violate any law. Uncle John can sell a .22 squirrel rifle to his nephew any time he wants to.

This whole "Gun Debate" is nothing more than an continuing and ongoing part of the Progressive liberal agenda to fundamentally reform America into a European style socialist state. It's just one of many steps. Thankfully it isn't working on most people. Unfortunately they are havingmuch greater success with other tactics but deserves its' own topic in another post.

1/29/2013 11:54:32 AM Gun control and background checks?  
easysteve2013
Akron, OH
31, joined Jan. 2013

My two cents. The guy who made this thread is obviously a conservative and everything he has said in conditioned thinking to stay in party lines. He has expressed his hate for liberals but then turns around and says he not a conservative. Wtf, whatever. When someone doesn't agree with his way of thinking then they are retarded because he knows everything about everything. If having more guns around meant we would be safer then America would be the safest country in the world because we have the most guns. Research has yielded sound statistics that show that countries with less guns have less crime. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you know how to use it. The constitution is a living document and has limitations. For example the freedom of speech has limitations. So it's not new that amendments are brought up to date. Plus, just being logical here. What was right and the purpose of something written back then doesn't necessarily mean its right and means the same thing today. Further more, just because there was a need for something back then doesn't mean there is a need for it now. In my opinion there is no reason for a citizen to have a assault rifle. Those are meant for soldiers, you want to be a soldier then job the military. Ive noticed most gun nuts wont because other people have the same weapon. Most people have a my gun is bigger than yours mentality. What are they going to do with it? If someone breaks in your house, in all honesty, a 45 would do the trick. So don't spread that b.s. of an assault rifle is necessary.
On another topic. We can not protect ourselves against the government so stop this we need guns in case we need them for the government nonsense. They have tech, gear, training, and other resources that civilians don't. It wouldn't be a fair fight. I wish people would stop making that ridiculous argument.
One more point: guns don't kill, people do. This is obvious. However, guns make killing easier. What if the guy went in with a knife? I assure you these scumbags wouldn't consider it because stabbing a person is much harder and time consuming. He maybe gets one or two people but not 20. Common sense here. In one minute with the right gun, I could kill at least 10 people, I don't think I could do that with a knife. Just saying. Yea, crazy people will find a way to kill, but lets at least make it harder for them. Maybe the bomb doesn't go off or they are lazy and don't wont to put in the work and planning to make one.
Conclusion: I'm not saying take the guns, I'm just saying no assault rifles since I haven't heard a legitimate reason to actually have one. Background checks probably should be more strict but a lot of people who commit murder don't have a criminal history. That's just media and politics uses their fear mongering tactics as usually and people seem to listen. Plus if you have a felony doesn't mean you any more likely to shoot someone than a nonfelon. Your crime could be theft, that doesn't mean you are a killer. No correlation there. Anyways , I could go on and on put in put in my two cents. Got better stuff to do. Obviously, some will agree and some won't. It will depend on which party you go with since its not many people can think for themselves anymore. Peace

1/29/2013 2:50:43 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Easy to answer. There are many problems with your argument, chief among them is that there is no legitimate exception to the Second Amendment right that excludes military-style weapons, because military-style weapons are precisely what the Second Amendment guarantees our right to keep and bear.

The purpose of the Second Amendment is to secure our ability to oppose enemies foreign and domestic, a guarantee against disorder and tyranny. Consider the words of Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story:

"The importance of this article will scarcely be doubted by any persons, who have duly reflected upon the subject. The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations of power by rulers. It is against sound policy for a free people to keep up large military establishments and standing armies in time of peace, both from the enormous expenses, with which they are attended, and the facile means, which they afford to ambitious and unprincipled rulers, to subvert the government, or trample upon the rights of the people. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."

A fine example of a historically recent precident that Americans should be concerned is provided in recounting the “The Battle of Athens, TN”. The Cantrell family had controlled the economy and politics of McMinn County, Tennessee since the 1930s. Paul Cantrell had been Sheriff from 1936 -1940 and in 1942 was elected to the State Senate. His chief deputy, Paul Mansfield, was subsequently elected to two terms as Sheriff. In 1946 returning WWII veterans put up a popular candidate for Sheriff. On August 1 Sheriff Mansfield and 200 “deputies” stormed the post office polling place to take control of the ballot boxes wounding an objecting observer in the process. The veterans bearing military style weapons, laid siege to the Sheriff’s office demanding return of the ballot boxes for public counting of the votes as prescribed in Tennessee law. After exchange of gun fire and blowing open the locked doors, the veterans secured the ballot boxes thereby protecting the integrity of the election. And this is precisely why all Americans should be concerned about protecting all of our right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

Throughout history, disarming the populace has always preceded tyrants’ accession of power. Hitler, Stalin, and Mao all disarmed their citizens prior to installing their murderous regimes. At the beginning of our own nation’s revolution, one of the first moves made by the British government was an attempt to disarm our citizens. When our Founding Fathers ensured that the 2nd Amendment was made a part of our Constitution, they were not just wasting ink. They were acting to ensure our present security was never forcibly endangered by tyrants, foreign or domestic.

Stricter gun control laws are proven not likely to reduce gun related crime. Controlling guns rather than the real casuse might make some people and some elected representatives feel better because they "think" that they are doing something to protect our children. In fact they do not and have no effect and will only provides a false sense of security.

We do not have a gun control problem. We do have some complex sociological problems and no single course of action will solve any of them if they can be solved at all. Limiting people's ability to protect themselves, families, and communties and disarming law abiding Americans is not the answer to anything. Creating any form of "gun free zone" merely provides would be criminals with an easy target while severly limiting the "People's" ability to muster their own defense.

Knowing these facts one must ask why are some so admant about gun control? It is because in that banning some firearms is only a stepping stone to broader gun control which moves us another step towards other forms od control and finally complete control. The second ammendment is in the end one of the most important defenses against a progressive liberal agenda that would see our Nation converted from a Republic with a democratic form of government to a socialist democracy ruled by a mob mentality. It's just that simple!

1/29/2013 8:06:15 PM Gun control and background checks?  
easysteve2013
Akron, OH
31, joined Jan. 2013

I do see your points sir. However, the second amendment was necessary for a time when we didn't have the military, national guard, state troopers, etc. that we have today, so it was critical for people to have their guns. The amendment is very out dated. That need is no longer a must. Government doesn't need to disarm us. They'd just roll over us. It's that simple. I refuse to believe that making everybody armed would somehow make us all safer, given America's stats is proof enough. I think if everyone was armed, there would in all likelihood be more violence. I don't recommend disarming people because like you said it's our right. However, I'm indifferent to the type of fire power thats on the streets, it just doesnt make sense to me. Just looking for solutions, there's not one single answer which is what people are looking for. To solve all the gun related killings, murders, robberies, etc. is going to take multiple steps. It's almost impossible to keep guns out the wrong hands. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
I also agree that you may never know if the government has another agenda or stepping stone. I don't think it's likely but its possible and shouldn't be dismissed.

My buddy made a point, sense we have a right to bear arms with no limit then why not give people grenades, rocket launchers, nukes, etc. where does the limit set in? I don't know the answer, but he has a point. Regulation isn't always a bad thing. I will pay attention to this issue because I'm interested in where politicians are going with this. Democrats will walk their line and republicans will walk theirs. People have their own interpretation of the amendment and what it means which is why people argue about it. If it was so clear cut, there'd be no debate. I'm no historian or politician so just my opinion. Anyways, thanks for the point of view.

1/30/2013 12:03:25 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from easysteve2013:
I do see your points sir. However, the second amendment was necessary for a time when we didn't have the military, national guard, state troopers, etc. that we have today, so it was critical for people to have their guns. The amendment is very out dated. That need is no longer a must. Government doesn't need to disarm us. They'd just roll over us. It's that simple. I refuse to believe that making everybody armed would somehow make us all safer, given America's stats is proof enough. I think if everyone was armed, there would in all likelihood be more violence. I don't recommend disarming people because like you said it's our right. However, I'm indifferent to the type of fire power thats on the streets, it just doesnt make sense to me. Just looking for solutions, there's not one single answer which is what people are looking for. To solve all the gun related killings, murders, robberies, etc. is going to take multiple steps. It's almost impossible to keep guns out the wrong hands. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
I also agree that you may never know if the government has another agenda or stepping stone. I don't think it's likely but its possible and shouldn't be dismissed.

My buddy made a point, sense we have a right to bear arms with no limit then why not give people grenades, rocket launchers, nukes, etc. where does the limit set in? I don't know the answer, but he has a point. Regulation isn't always a bad thing. I will pay attention to this issue because I'm interested in where politicians are going with this. Democrats will walk their line and republicans will walk theirs. People have their own interpretation of the amendment and what it means which is why people argue about it. If it was so clear cut, there'd be no debate. I'm no historian or politician so just my opinion. Anyways, thanks for the point of view.

1/30/2013 6:47:54 AM Gun control and background checks?  

manureman
Over 7,500 Posts!! (7,886)
Bluefield, WV
75, joined Mar. 2008

Quote from 58dpilot:

2/10/2013 12:52:26 PM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Quote from easysteve2013:

At the time of the second ammendment there were no killer drones, I-Phones, internet, cars, abortion clinics, birth control, TV, radio, computers, or anything else like that. Regardless the 1st and 2nd Ammendments still aplly to all of them as do all rights in the bill of rights. We don't modify the defintion of any of our rights becasue of new technology, nor is it necessary to abridge fundamental rights as a result of them. People's evolving "interpretations" of the meaning of these things is irrelevant.

2/11/2013 8:39:28 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

of course as antonin scalia says, 'no right is absolute.'

2/11/2013 11:40:19 AM Gun control and background checks?  

manureman
Over 7,500 Posts!! (7,886)
Bluefield, WV
75, joined Mar. 2008

Quote from 58dpilot:
At the time of the second ammendment there were no killer drones, I-Phones, internet, cars, abortion clinics, birth control, TV, radio, computers, or anything else like that. Regardless the 1st and 2nd Ammendments still aplly to all of them as do all rights in the bill of rights. We don't modify the defintion of any of our rights becasue of new technology, nor is it necessary to abridge fundamental rights as a result of them. People's evolving "interpretations" of the meaning of these things is irrelevant.

2/19/2013 7:21:13 AM Gun control and background checks?  
fancyfarm
Parsons, TN
59, joined Oct. 2012

If, I say if voter fraud could ever get controlled I'd say put it to a vote,we all know the results. That will never happen. Get comfortable laboring for the central banks.

3/5/2013 1:07:06 PM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

The gun control laws restrict the ability for the law biding citizens to protect themselves not just from criminals, gangs but government as well.

Criminals by nature don’t care what the law says. Even our own government sold guns to criminals in a program called Fast and Furious. So what is the purpose of the law if the government had guns sold to criminals and did not even track them?

The other day, my neighbor down the street, ¼ of a mile from me, was home alone when she heard someone trying to break in her house. She called 911 and then got her husband’s shotgun. She end up stopping the thief and making him stay on the ground till the police arrive. Had she not have a gun, no telling what the thief would have done cause his was strung out on drugs.

Just look at Chicago. The honest folks there are restricted from owning guns so the gangs can run the city. The gangs like it cause they know very few people would be able to stand up to them.

Although many people are for owning a gun for protection against thieves and people treating them. However part of the reason behind the second amendment was to maintain a militia, which is an army of citizen volunteers, but not in the way we have the National Guard today.

This ability for the citizens to arm themselves and form a militia was meant to deter the government form ever oppressing and enslave the people. Remember that we once rose up against the most powerful nation in the world and sent those red coats back across the pound because we didn’t like the oppression they imposed on us. It is to help keep in check those in authority, especially those to seek the power of the elected offices to rule over people.

Have you notice how the police are becoming like the army? They raid business and homes like the army does an enemy’s camp. One grocery store was raided that way and the only crime they committed was selling unpasteurized milk because some of their costumers wanted unpasteurized milk. Yet by the way the officers acted, you would have thought the store was a central drug operation. By law they are to present the warrant to search the grounds first and only use extreme force if the person or people being search acts aggressively.

3/19/2013 10:41:02 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

Why is the government buying 1.6 billions rounds of ammunition for Homeland Security, the IRS, and other agencies not DOD? Why are they retrofitting armored vehicles for homeland security use? Putting it all together one can come up with an interesting conspriacy theory:

What if they know they can't take ours so they are buying it all up so there is none for us to buy? Does it go with the "FEMA Camps" some believe they are setting up? What if the FEMA Camps aren't for us? They might be refuges where the government has stocked food, weapons, ammo, armored vehicles, and other supplies for themselves.

It could explain why they are so unconcerned with budgets, the economy, illegal immigration, and other crises we face. They are aware that sometime probably in 2014 the economy and our infrastructure will collapse and cannot be rescued.

If that happens there won't be any food, fuel, ammo, medical care, emergency services and the resulting chaos that will manefiest within days will escalate to the point that over 90% or more of our poplulation will be dead within a month or two.

Perhaps they expect to sit in the safe havens they established with our money and defend themselves against us until the ciris runs it's course and they can safely rise from the ashes to take over once again.

Don't I have a wonderful imagination? What if it's not imagination?

4/2/2013 10:26:25 AM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,195)
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

And if chickens laid gold bars...........................................................................................................I'd be rich!!!!!!!

But I wouldn't have breakfast.

Nelson Georgia, Model of Non interference By government!!

You don't have to have healthcare, But you do have to own a gun!!

4/3/2013 9:25:39 AM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

Government is not trying to take away healthcare like they are trying to take away guns. Government is trying to force people to buy healthcare to make the insurance companies rich. Government want to take away you gun so you can’t defend yourself. Both are government interference and the government should not tell anyone they have to buy or not allowed to buy anything. It should be up to an individual if they want health insurance or a gun. I rather have a healthcare savings account and only have health insurance for the major stuff.

4/3/2013 11:46:53 AM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

Government says You have to buy a gun!!

How is that not government telling you how to spend your money??

4/4/2013 10:00:53 AM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

When has the government said you have to buy a gun?

The right to bare arms means it is the right for a person to own a gun if they choose to. Now many people have bought guns and ammo lately in response to the government trying to restrict gun ownership.

I keep hearing we have to keep guns out of some people’s hands and the rules they pass keep them out of the honest citizen’s hand. After all, the criminals will get them off the black market and it is the government that sells it to them. Remember fast and furious where the government sold guns to gangs in Mexico?

4/17/2013 2:27:17 PM Gun control and background checks?  
quest_for_logic
Amarillo, TX
25, joined Apr. 2013

Here in Texas I get an FBI background check everytime I go to buy a gun. They call in and if I'm not a felon I can make the purchase. What else can you want?

I don't believe guns are a problem. If someone is going to kill someone they don't need a gun. Then, as easy as it is to buy arms imported illegally, making it harder for someone who might only defend himself to get a gun doesn't solve the problem like some think it would.

I.E. Great Brittain. They made guns illegal. Yes, gun violence decreased some, but knife crimes rose rapidly filling the gap.

4/17/2013 8:44:39 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

what is the murder rate in great brittain compared to america, quest?

4/17/2013 9:07:09 PM Gun control and background checks?  
quest_for_logic
Amarillo, TX
25, joined Apr. 2013

I'll have to look up those stats.

I have found a news site stating its violent crime rate is higher than in the U.S. but it don't have numbers so I find it useless. Also it isn't sourced. That makes it questionable.

I'll try to post actuall stats on this.

A chart would be nice but I can't post it. I have to be here 30 days to post photos or videos. I could probably post a link if I find a good one.

4/18/2013 9:47:13 AM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

Absolutely amazing,

You can open a conversation with totally false information and then run when questioned!!

((British Interpretation))

4/18/2013 10:26:19 AM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/14/lets-set-the-record-straight-5-common-misconceptions-about-guns-mass-shootings/

•March 25, 2008, Sitka, Alaska: An 18 year killed 4 people with a 5-inch knife.
•June 8, 2001, Osaka, Japan: A school janitor killed 8 children with a kitchen knife.
•July 1, 2008, Shanghai, China: A man stabbed 6 police officers to death and wounded 4 others with a knife.

“According to the FBI’s website, during the time period between 2007 until 2011, there were 8,967 people that were murdered with knives or cutting instruments; during that same time period, there were 3,918 people that were murdered with either rifles or shotguns,” Hunter told TheBlaze.

And, of course, murderers aren’t restricted to just sharp objects and guns. Some have used explosives:
•April 19, 1995, Oklahoma City, Okla.: Timothy McVay murdered 168 people and injured 680 when he blew up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building using, among other components, fertilizer.
•May 18, 1927, Bath, Mich.: A man murdered 44 people, 38 of which were elementary school children. Another 58 were wounded when he blew up the Bath Consolidated School. To date, this is still the worst school massacre in US history.
•November 1, 1955: John “Jack” Gilbert Graham murdered 44 people by planting a dynamite bomb in his mother’s suitcase that was subsequently loaded aboard United Airlines Flight 629. The bomb detonated shortly after takeoff.

Others transportation:
•September 11, 2001: Nineteen terrorists murdered nearly 3,000 people on American soil by intentionally flying passenger planes into the North and South towers of the World Trade Center complex in New York City and the Pentagon in Arlington, Va. A fourth plane was also hijacked and was intended to be crashed into the U.S. Capitol, but passengers overcame the hijackers and the plane crashed in Shanksville, Pa.
•June 8, 2008, Tokyo, Japan: A man drove his truck into a crowd of people, killing three. He then exited the vehicle and stabbed 12 people. In all, seven people were killed as a result.
•April 30, 2009, Apeldoorn, Netherlands: A man intentionally drove his car into a group of people amassed for a parade. He killed six and seriously injured another 12 before dying from the crash himself.

Others blunt objects:
•August 6, 2004, Deltona, Fla.: Four men decided to bludgeon 6 people using baseball bats because they wanted to steal an Xbox belonging to one of the victims. All of the attackers were old enough to buy firearms.
•July 20, 2009, Sydney, Australia: A family of 5 was bludgeoned to death as they slept. Most likely baseball bats were used in the attack.

“According to the FBI’s website, during the time period between 2007 until 2011, there were 2,918 people that were murdered with blunt objects (baseball bats, hammers, etc.),” Hunter reminds us. “During that same time period, there were 1,874 people that were murdered with rifles.”

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20120920/suicide-top-cause-of-injury-death

The top five leading causes of injury-related deaths were:
1.Suicide
2.Motor vehicle crashes
3.Poisoning
4.Falls
5.Homicide

Here is a map showing the gun-related murder rate in U.S. cities compared to the gun-related murder rate in other nations.

Detroit has a murder rate of 35.9 per 1,000 people. New Orleans has a much higher rate of 62.1 per 1,000 people. If New Orleans were an independent nation, then it would be second only to Honduras in murders by nationality.

Now, compare the gun murder rate in the USA to the rate of gun ownership in the USA.

A state can have an overall low legal-gun-ownership rate and still have a high rate of gun-related murders.

4/18/2013 1:24:01 PM Gun control and background checks?  
quest_for_logic
Amarillo, TX
25, joined Apr. 2013

@cowboy4672
No, I simply had to sleep, I've class at 7:30 a.m. And live an hour away from the college.

Also, I don't have quote as an option on the mobile site or app. Is it also required your here for 30 days to be able to? I was under the impression that was only photos.
I know it was an option the last time I'd an account on this site. Does any one know about this?

I tried pasting from nation master but it looked jacked up so here's a link comparing crime rates of different types.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

Sadly, I can't post any pictures yet.

4/18/2013 2:07:58 PM Gun control and background checks?  
quest_for_logic
Amarillo, TX
25, joined Apr. 2013

@cowboy4672
My understanding of British gun laws may be outdated seeing as it fits with this article from BBC that is several years dated.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/10220974

Most everything I'm reading suggest the UK has a lower homicide rate than the US.

The UNODC has homocide rates of
US 4.8
UK 1.2

Rates are a count per 1,000
(http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/homicide.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate) Wikipedia is less memory intensive on phones.

The question then
Should be why is there more homocide in America?

I don't think guns are to blame. I own an arsenal and don't kill people.
Mostly, I own rifles. Often having to use them to kill coyotes. It's that or the coyotes eat the goats and chickens.

4/18/2013 7:35:33 PM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

Your numbers are getting closer but the British number is .012. And the dates are taken from the high periods of the Irish revolt.

Numbers can be deceiving especially when put out by someone with a pre conceived agenda!!

If a man walks into a gun store/show and wants to purchase an AR-15/Glock or Bazooka, Should the sales clerk ask for ID?

If that man is wearing a turban, should the clerk ask for ID?

If that man Has a Swastika tattoo on his forehead, Should the clerk ask for ID?

If that man has a Prison tattoo on his arm, Should the clerk ask for ID?
So now how do you protect the clerk from being sued for "Profiling?"

The op has a point, a point that your elected idiots have decided to ignore.

4/18/2013 9:44:21 PM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

I do think a private company has the right to profile. Still that would not stop a money hungry lawyer from trying to sure in hopes you will settle out court.

[Edited 4/18/2013 9:46:01 PM ]

4/18/2013 9:48:22 PM Gun control and background checks?  
quest_for_logic
Amarillo, TX
25, joined Apr. 2013

This are the only numbers I provided. Also those are the 2012 numbers from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime website.

I don't care if someone's from the Middle East or not. They can be a nazi. Where I live no matter who you are you get a background check when you go to purchase a gun legally. Also certain 'felons' can't purchase or legally own guns.

What preconceived agenda?

I simply said you don't need a gun to kill.
Then you jump down my throat. Somehow I feel you hate Americans.

Also, your number has no source. If your going to put something out it'd better have a link to a UN or official government web page, seeing as mine do and you still call it BS.

Also, you might seek help for your racism and prejudice. You seem to think all Muslims are murderers. SMH, that's just close minded.

4/19/2013 5:50:30 AM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

We are arguing the same side of the coin, But you are not completely informed.

You may be required where you are to get a "Background" check. But if you go to a gun show in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, or new Mexico. If it is a "used" weapon no checks are required.

There are 39 states where you can "Purchase" an AR-15 with no checks, Not even asked for a drivers license!!

Same Scenario over the Internet, "Used" no checks required!!

I am glad that you have a personal "Arsenal" and take time to learn the proper care and use of the weapons. Wouldn't it be nice to know that the guy down the street has had some sort of check to make sure he isn't a Wacko!!

I Know that there is someone you know that you wouldn't think should have a real big Gun!!

Universal Background checks are useless unless they are uniform across America!!

My prejudice is uniform, I don't care who you are or what you look like, Don't harm me or mine and I won't harm you and yours!!

4/19/2013 10:10:20 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from quest_for_logic:
@cowboy4672
My understanding of British gun laws may be outdated seeing as it fits with this article from BBC that is several years dated.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/10220974

Most everything I'm reading suggest the UK has a lower homicide rate than the US.

The UNODC has homocide rates of
US 4.8
UK 1.2

Rates are a count per 1,000
(http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/homicide.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate) Wikipedia is less memory intensive on phones.

The question then
Should be why is there more homocide in America?

I don't think guns are to blame. I own an arsenal and don't kill people.
Mostly, I own rifles. Often having to use them to kill coyotes. It's that or the coyotes eat the goats and chickens.

hang on a sec. first you suggest that england's strict gun laws as having no affect on the murder rate. then when you prove yourself dead f**king wrong with your own statistics vs the u.s. you now say you don't think guns are to blame. i don't know whether or not guns are to blame but your argument fails miserably.

4/19/2013 9:58:52 PM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

A person can aways take the firing pin out of a gun and then sell it as scrap to other person who can buy a firing pin to put back in the gun.

A felon is aloud to own a black powdered gun.

People with machining tools can make their own guns.

People buy storage bins may find a gun hidden in it.

Guns made before a certain date have fewer regulations.

People inherit guns.

There are just too many ways to get guns that they can never stop people from having them.

4/20/2013 8:10:51 AM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

So Because law breakers will always break the law,

We should abolish all laws!!

I'm For it,

First we send all law Makers Home without pay!! {We don't need Laws}(Congress)

Next we open all prisons and turn loose all Wrongly captive persons!!

No laws means they didn't do anything wrong, so why are we punishing them, and what gives us (As a society) the right to punish them??

Abolish all police forces because they have nothing to enforce!!

4/22/2013 9:04:08 AM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

We do need some law but not as much as Congress wants to pass. They think they can legislate every thing and cover ever thing. Passing laws to say people can’t have guns will not make us safer. It will just make criminals out of people, event hose that only want a gun for self-defense.

We should have law that punish people if the misuse a gun, not to keep them out of the honest law-biding citizen.

4/22/2013 9:15:23 AM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

congress is passing laws that say people can't have guns???

4/22/2013 12:33:31 PM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

They can’t out right pass a law because in order to change the second amendment means 2/3 of the country will have to vote on it. So they are trying to make it difficult for honest people to get a gun. Yet back a year or two ago, the same government was telling gun shops to sell to the criminals and it was under the names Fast and Furious. So or government says sell to the crooks but we don’t want the honest person to have one.

4/22/2013 1:07:23 PM Gun control and background checks?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

well, since you've not a f**king clue how an amendment happens there's little sense in discussing the many gun laws passed by congress and the state legislatures.

4/22/2013 3:43:57 PM Gun control and background checks?  
metalshadow6
Dillon, SC
36, joined Feb. 2013

Just because congress passes laws, does not make those laws legal. The Supreme Court can and has in the pass said that Congress and or the laws they pass to be unconstitutional.
http://blog.wallack.us/2013/03/yes-mr-idiot-congressman-scotus-does.html

The second amendment states
well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

In other words, it would be illegal for keep guns out of the hand of the people. In order to keep guns out of the hands of even felons, they would have to change this amendment by making a new amendment. That is why most the laws restrict what type of gun normally leaving certain guns untouched, mainly guns that are not considered modern.

Now States have their own gun laws and even some cities. Some states like Louisiana even give felons the right to bare arms.
http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/04/felons-can-carry-guns-under-la-constitutional-amendment/

Still if we were to change the second amendment would require a new amendment much like the 21st amendment repealed the 18th amendment. Article Five of the United States Constitution describes how to go about it.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Amendments may be proposed by either two-thirds of both houses of the United States Congress; or by a national convention assembled at the request of the legislatures of at least two-thirds of the states.

To become part of the Constitution, amendments must then be ratified either by approval of the legislatures of three-fourths of the states; or state ratifying conventions held in three-fourths of the states.

To amend the constitution requires the vast majority of multiple groups of people, that it makes it difficult for government to remove our rights. That is why they try to get around that by pass rules on how to get a gun and what type of gun you can have as a way to ignore the rules, and all under the name of “Good Intention” which often go wrong.

4/23/2013 10:32:37 AM Gun control and background checks?  

58dpilot
Springdale, AR
62, joined May. 2012

What fun! Good posts. By the way, when comparing homicide rates among different countries gun laws have little effect. The dominant factors in international homicide rates are cultural and have little to do with how "weapons" are controlled by various governments. If someone wants to kill someone they will use whatever weapon is available. Statistics on firearms ownership and laws are not revealing. If a firearm isn't available the perpetrator will simply use something else.

4/23/2013 6:50:40 PM Gun control and background checks?  

cowboy4672
Lillian, AL
69, joined Dec. 2012

If a firearm is not available the perpetrator will most likely choose another device that is limited in it's repetitive ability and much more accurate in it's targeting>

In other words for true equality of weapons, the non gun is a single shot and more likely to hit the single target aimed for!!

Using a multiple auto reload leads to less need to accurately single out the intended target. Sooner or later one bullet will hit something!!