Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

knoxville hookups

You re seeking to discover much more about the person s values, how they work, exactly where they spike, and their shortcomings. free michigan chat rooms However, in emergency scenarios a individual/household may well acquire Expedited CalFresh added benefits no later than the 3rd calendar day following the date the application is filed . Thalassemics India organizes conferences just about every four years and requires children abroad to international meets. meet swedish girl online One particular time, a date hit me with this query, and I ve loved it ever given that.

mega classifieds

Do not believe that every single person who just snaps and throws his/her weight around mentally and physically is just reacting ordinarily. free chat line orlando florida Web pages like eHarmony have far more detailed search criteria but the paid version will yield a narrower search, providing you matches you re far more likely to be into. The subsequent day, she brought him back his belongings and ended up providing him a further opportunity. how to look people up on meetme Whilst some individuals look for partners with whom they can locate shared places of interests, some fall for incredibly opposite personalities.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

5/6/2015 7:55:09 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (12,948)
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Paul, at Romans 4:16-17, calls Abraham the father of us all and the father of many nations. But there are those who insist that Jesus was speaking literally when He said "call no man father". Does this mean God sent Paul to Hell?

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

5/6/2015 9:21:55 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,156)
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

There is no "hell" so there is no way Paul could be there.

Paul was the leader of the unCircumcision church. The gentiles were not invited into the gospel until Paul came along.

5/6/2015 10:53:22 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (17,740)
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from ludlowlowell:
Paul, at Romans 4:16-17, calls Abraham the father of us all and the father of many nations. But there are those who insist that Jesus was speaking literally when He said "call no man father". Does this mean God sent Paul to Hell?

Literally, with regards to your priests, "in the spiritual sense." They are not your "Father." Only "one is your Father, which is in heaven." You're arguing with Jesus, dumbo. You can deliberately misunderstand and feign stupidity but you can't win. You can't beat Jesus. It's sad that you don't know that, but you can't beat Jesus.

5/6/2015 11:02:58 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

tnteacher101
Over 1,000 Posts (1,142)
Morristown, TN
64, joined Aug. 2010

Quote from bigd9832:
There is no "hell" so there is no way Paul could be there.

Paul was the leader of the unCircumcision church. The gentiles were not invited into the gospel until Paul came along.

Big: I think Peter's Vision came before Paul started teaching the gentiles. This vision explained that the gentiles could be recognized and accepted as believers of God's Word if they would follow the Laws and Commandments of God. Before Peter's Vision the gentiles were shunned by the 12 Tribes of Jacob because they were thouht of as being "unclean". The people of the 12 Tribes of Jacob would not enter into the gentiles homes or break bread/eat with them.

Steve

5/6/2015 11:03:14 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from ludlowlowell:

Paul calls himself father too. Paul defies Jesus because Paul didn't know what Jesus said, probably. Paul never met Jesus and was not one of Jesus' personally chosen and trained 12 apostles. And Paul says: "Being crafty, I caught you with guile." (2Co 12:16)

5/6/2015 11:04:37 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

What vision are you talking about?

5/6/2015 11:23:39 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

tnteacher101
Over 1,000 Posts (1,142)
Morristown, TN
64, joined Aug. 2010

Quote from bigd9832:
What vision are you talking about?

Big: This is the only Vision Peter had that I am aware of. Here is it:

Acts 10 New International Version (NIV)

Cornelius Calls for Peter
10 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3 One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. 5 Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. 6 He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

7 When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. 8 He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.

Peter’s Vision
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17 While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. 18 They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three[a] men are looking for you. 20 So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”

21 Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”

22 The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” 23 Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

Peter at Cornelius’s House
The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the believers from Joppa went along. 24 The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26 But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”

27 While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. 29 So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?”

30 Cornelius answered: “Three days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32 Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.’ 33 So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.”

34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 “We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Steve

5/7/2015 7:03:13 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Furchizedek, my point is, if Abraham can be called father, father in the spiritual sense, why cant a Catholic priest be called father?

5/7/2015 7:32:19 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

isna_la_wica
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,914)
Brantford, ON
60, joined Mar. 2012

Young's Literal Translation
and ye may not call any your father on the earth, for one is your Father, who is in the heavens,

Quick check on this verse with Strongs, leads us to the Greek word, pater, number 3962, and it has a number of different meanings. Here for #3962 from thayers Greek Lexicon:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 3962: pat??

pat?? (from the root, pa; literally, nourisher, protector, upholder; (Curtius, § 348)), pat???, pat??, pat??a, vocative p?te? (for which the nominative ? pat?? is five times used, and (anarthrous) pat?? in John 17:21 T Tr WH, 24 and 25 L T Tr WH; cf. B. § 129, 5; Winers Grammar, § 29, 2; WH's Appendix, p. 158), plural pat??e?, pat????, pat?as? (Hebrews 1:1), pat??a?, ? (from Homer down), the Sept. for ???, a father;
1. properly, equivalent to generator or male ancestor, and either a. the nearest ancestor: Matthew 2:22; Matthew 4:21; Matthew 8:21; Luke 1:17; John 4:53; Acts 7:14; 1 Corinthians 5:1, etc.; ?? pat??e? t?? sa????, fathers of the corporeal nature, natural fathers (opposed to ? pat?? t?? p?e?µ?t??), Hebrews 12:9; plural of both parents, Hebrews 11:23 (not infrequent in secular auth, cf. Delitzsch at the passage); or b. a more remote ancestor, the founder of a race or tribe, progenitor of a people, forefather: so Abraham is called, Matthew 3:9; Luke 1:73; Luke 16:24; John 8:39, 53; Acts 7:2; Romans 4:1 Rec., Romans 4:17f, etc.; Isaac, Romans 9:10; Jacob, John 4:12; David, Mark 11:10; Luke 1:32; plural, fathers i. e. ancestor's, forefathers, Matthew 23:30, 32; Luke 6:23, 26; Luke 11:47; John 4:20; John 6:31; Acts 3:13, 25; 1 Corinthians 10:1, etc., and often in Greek writings from Homer down; so too ?????, 1 Kings 8:21; Psalm 21:5 (), etc.; in the stricter sense of the founders of a race, John 7:22; Romans 9:5; Romans 11:28.

c. equivalent to one advanced in years, a senior: 1 John 2:13f.

2. metaphorically;

a. the originator and transmitter of anything: pat?? pe??t?µ??, Romans 4:12; the author of a family or society of persons animated by the same spirit as himself: so pat?? p??t?? t?? p?ste???t??, Romans 4:11, cf. Romans 4:12, 16 (1 Macc. 2:54); one who has infused his own spirit into others, who actuates and governs their minds, John 8:38, 41f, 44; the phrase ?? pat??? t???? e??a? is used of one who shows himself as like another in spirit and purpose as though he had inherited his nature from him, John 8:44.

b. one who stands in a father's place, and looks after another in paternal way: 1 Corinthians 4:15.

c. a title of honor (cf. Sophocles, Lexicon, under the word), applied to a. teachers, as those to whom pupils trace back the knowledge and training they have received: Matthew 23:9 (of prophets, 2 Kings 2:12; 2 Kings 6:21). ß. the members of the Sanhedrin, whose prerogative it was, by virtue of the wisdom and experience in which they excelled, to take charge of the interests of others: Acts 7:2; Acts 22:1; cf. Gesenius, Thesaurus i., p. 7{a}.

3. God is called the Father, a. t?? f?t?? (A. V. of lights i. e.) of the stars, the heavenly luminaries, because he is their creator, upholder, ruler, James 1:17.

b. of all rational and intelligent beings, whether angels or men, because he is their creator, preserver, guardian and protector: Ephesians 3:14f G L T Tr WH; t?? p?e?µ?t??, of spiritual beings, Hebrews 12:9; and, for the same reason, of all men (pat?? t?? pa?t?? ?????p?? ??????, Josephus, Antiquities 4, 8, 24): so in the Synoptic Gospels, especially Matthew, Matthew 6:4, 8, 15; Matthew 24:36; Luke 6:36; Luke 11:2; Luke 12:30, 32; John 4:21, 23; James 3:9; ? pat?? ? ?? (t???) ???a????, the Father in heaven, Matthew 5:16, 45, 48; Matthew 6:1, 9; Matthew 7:11, 21; Matthew 18:14; Mark 11:25, 26 R G L; Luke 11:13 (?? ???a???; cf. Buttmann, § 151, 2{a}; Winer's Grammar, § 66, 6); ? pat?? ? ???a????, the heavenly Father, Matthew 6:14, 26, 32; Matthew 15:13.

c. of Christians, as those who through Christ have been exalted to a specially close and intimate relationship with God, and who no longer dread him as the stern judge of sinners, but revere him as their reconciled and loving Father. This conception, common in the N. T. Epistles, shines forth with especial brightness in Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:6; in John's use of the term it seems to include the additional idea of one who by the power of his Spirit, operative in the gospel, has begotten them anew to a life of holiness (see ?e????, 2 d.): absolutely, 2 Corinthians 6:18; Ephesians 2:18; 1 John 2:1, 14(),; ; Te?? ?a? pat?? p??t??, of all Christians, Ephesians 4:6; with the addition of a genitive of quality (Winer's Grammar, § 34, 3 b.; § 132, 10), ? pat?? t?? ???t??µ??, 2 Corinthians 1:3; t?? d????, Ephesians 1:17; on the phrases ? Te?? ?a? pat?? ?µ??, Te?? pat??, etc., see Te??, 3, p. 288{a}.

d. the Father of Jesus Christ, as one whom God has united to himself in the closest bond of love and intimacy, made acquainted with his purposes, appointed to explain and carry out among men the plan of salvation, and (as appears from the teaching of John) made to share also in his own divine nature; he is so called, a. by Jesus himself: simply ? pat?? (opposed to ? ????), Matthew 11:25-27; Luke 10:21; John 5:20-23, 26, 36; John 10:15, 30, etc.; ? pat?? µ??, Matthew 11:27; Matthew 25:34; Matthew 26:53; Luke 10:22; John 5:17; John 8:19, 49; John 10:18, 32, and often in John's Gospel; Revelation 2:28 (); ; with ? ?? t??? ???a???? added, Matthew 7:11, 21, 32; Matthew 12:50; Matthew 16:17; Matthew 18:10, 19; ? ????????, Matthew 15:13; ? ?p????????, Matthew 18:35 Rec. ß. by the apostles: Romans 15:6; 2 Corinthians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 11:31; Ephesians 1:3; Ephesians 3:14 Rec.: Colossians 1:3; Hebrews 1:5; 1 Peter 1:3; Revelation 1:6. See (Tholuck (Bergrede Christi) on Matthew 6:9; Weiss, Biblical Theol. d. N. T., Index under Vater; C. Wittichen, Die Idee Gottes als d. Vaters (Göttingen, 1865); Westcott, Epistles of St. John, pp. 27-34, and) below in ???? and t?????.

5/7/2015 7:33:08 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

isna_la_wica
Brantford, ON
60, joined Mar. 2012

Now, looking at the context in which this verse us used?

Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

23:1-12 The scribes and Pharisees explained the law of Moses, and enforced obedience to it. They are charged with hypocrisy in religion. We can only judge according to outward appearance; but God searches the heart. They made phylacteries. These were scrolls of paper or parchment, wherein were written four paragraphs of the law, to be worn on their foreheads and left arms, Ex 13:2-10; 13:11-16; De 6:4-9; 11:13-21. They made these phylacteries broad, that they might be thought more zealous for the law than others. God appointed the Jews to make fringes upon their garments, Nu 15:38, to remind them of their being a peculiar people; but the Pharisees made them larger than common, as if they were thereby more religious than others. Pride was the darling, reigning sin of the Pharisees, the sin that most easily beset them, and which our Lord Jesus takes all occasions to speak against. For him that is taught in the word to give respect to him that teaches, is commendable; but for him that teaches, to demand it, to be puffed up with it, is sinful. How much is all this against the spirit of Christianity! The consistent disciple of Christ is pained by being put into chief places. But who that looks around on the visible church, would think this was the spirit required? It is plain that some measure of this antichristian spirit prevails in every religious society, and in every one of our hearts.

There is nothing wrong at all in using the word, for a spiritual teacher.

It is only a problem, when one exalts another human to the postion of God. Acknowledging another by this title, is not wrong at all, as long as one is not putting them above human status and what type of spiritual father one is.

So as Mathew Henry explains: "For him that is taught in the word to give respect to him that teaches, is commendable; but for him that teaches, to demand it, to be puffed up with it, is sinful".

5/7/2015 8:29:51 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

The kingdom has been proclaimed in Jerusalem and rejected; it has been heralded in Judea and Samaria, and now is being carried to the limits of the land. The Ethiopian proselyte has been reached by Philip. Now a Roman "proselyte of the gate" is brought before us in the person of Cornelius.

There were two classes of proselytes: the proselytes of righteousness and the proselytes of the gate. The former, by circumcision and conformation to the Jewish ritual, became incorporated into the Jewish people. The latter, called "fearers of God" or "the devout," renounced idolatry and acknowledged the God of Israel as the one true God, but were not circumcised and gave only scant heed to the ceremonial observances. Though highly esteemed, as Cornelius, they were regarded as outside the pale of Judaism, as "uncircumcised" and "of the nations." It was regarded as a crime for a Jew to enter the house of such a proselyte or to eat a meal with him.

Thus the kingdom message, as proclaimed by the twelve apostles, reaches its furthest limit in Cornelius. This accounts for the extraordinary pressure brought upon Peter, for none of the Jews thought that the proselyte of the gate was included in the kingdom commission. First the word was to the Jews only (including proselytes of righteousness), then the Hellenists are evangelized, followed by the despised Samaritans. Now that Cornelius is included, the original commission to the twelve is fulfilled in two of the three spheres—Jerusalem and Samaria (1:8). They failed to go to all nations as He had told them (Lk 24:47) .

As Cornelius was a Roman, descended from Japheth, and the eunuch was an Ethiopian, probably belonging to Ham, and the Jews were Shemites, all the sons of Noah were reached through their representatives. This was typical of the spread of the kingdom over the whole earth when it will be set up in power at Christ's return. His dominion will include all the descendants of Noah's sons, and embrace all the families of the earth. His salvation will be known from sea to sea.

As the Romans despised the Jews, the signs of the operation of the Spirit Of God in Cornelius were very marked even before he called for Peter. Centurions were not naturally devout or in fear of God, nor did they give alms to the Jews or pray to God. Cornelius believed the Scriptures or he would not have recognized Israel's supremacy. He knew God or he would not have prayed to Him continually. Hence the salvation here proclaimed to him was not prefaced by repentance. It was of the same nature as that which Peter proclaimed at Pentecost. It was a deliverance which insured his entrance into the kingdom.

According to Solomon's dedicatory petition (1Ki 8:41-43) that Jehovah should do all that the stranger who prayed toward His house should call for, Cornelius' prayers and alms come up for a memorial before God. Yet he must be taught that all his blessings come to him through Israel. Hence he is told to call for Peter. This is in direct antithesis to the present truth, for now, during Israel's apostasy, we get our blessings direct from God.

The location of Peter at the time is suggestive. The nations are often represented by the sea, and he had gone as far as he could on land for he was at the sea side. His hunger is typical of the hunger of God for the worship of all His creatures—not Israel alone, hence Peter is told to "sacrifice and eat." The ceremonially unclean animals must represent those among the nations whom God had cleansed. Hence we must regard Cornelius as one whom God had cleansed before Peter met him.

Peter, like all the Jews, was so prejudiced by birth and training that it was almost impossible for him to conceive of such a thing as having fellowship with a gentile, or even a proselyte of the gate, no matter how devout he might be. Henceforth the apostasy of Israel consists largely in refusing to be a channel of blessing to the nations. This led them to question Peter and persecute Paul.

The vision alone was not sufficient to break through the prejudice of Peter, for he could not make out what it meant. But the presence of the three men, who were ceremonially unclean, like the animals he had just seen in the vision, made his course clear. He dared not refuse to fellowship with them or disregard the call of Cornelius. The character of Cornelius was evidence that God had cleansed him. Peter could no longer class him as common or unclean. The fact that Cornelius gave of his means to the people of the covenant was much in his favor, for in the judgment of the nations which precedes the kingdom the nations are judged according to their treatment of the sons of Israel (Mt 25:31-46).

A. E. Knoch

5/7/2015 8:53:20 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

pmg920
Latrobe, PA
50, joined Oct. 2013

Quote from ludlowlowell:

Lud, the text that you are using here has father in lower case and uses Abraham as father in a spiritual sense. Paul is addressing how both Jews and Gentiles can come to Christ through the faith that Abraham had. Since there were Jewish believers in the early church and still are, Paul is using Abraham because he is recognized as the patriarch of Israel. (Continue reading the rest of the book to put in context.) Also, many believe that Paul is one who has his name on one of the twelve gates in Revelation, so I highly doubt that God sent him to hell.

As for calling "no man Father", the father in this context is capitalized. Most equate this to refer to as God, the Father. This is why many non-Catholics criticize that calling of priests as Father. Is that grounds for God to send someone to hell for doing that? I don't know for sure, but Paul does describe in Ephesians the offices of the church as apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers. He also mentions pastors (or bishops) and deacons in the book of I Timothy.

5/7/2015 8:56:23 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

There is no "hell" in the Scriptures.

1. There is no Ancient term for the word 'hell' as we use it.

Sheol
Hades
Gehenna
Tartarus

Which one did you think was hell?

2. There is no record of a 'hell' ever being created...

CLV Gn 1:1 IN A BEGINNING Created by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth.

This tells me that heaven and earth were created. There is no such record for a 'hell.'

3. The church says that 'hell' is separation from God...

AV Ps 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou [art] there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou [art there].

Evidently there is no separating from God.

4. The Jews have no hell. Jesus was a Jew. As a Jew He was not taught about a hell. There is no hell in the OT.

Don't believe me? Ask a Jew.

5. The word 'hell' is absent from the Tanakh. The Tanakh is the Scriptures of the Jews. It is the same books that we have in our English versions of the OT, just in a different order. The Tanakh was here long before English was even a language.

6. Just before the 12th century there was no such word as 'hell.' So says Merriam - Webster.

That is well over 1000 years after Jesus left.

7. Man's 'punishment' for his disobedience in Eden in Genesis 3:17 to...

CLV Gn 3:19 In the sweat of your face shall you eat your bread, till your return to the ground, for from it are you taken, for soil you are, and to soil are you returning."

If God punished man once, what is the point of punishing him again with a 'hell?'

8. Finally, the Scriptures tell us that all mankind shall be saved. ALL, meaning everyone.

Who shall be Saved?

“For God locks up all together in stubbornness, that He should be merciful to all” (Romans 11:32).

“Our Savior, God, Who wills that all mankind be saved and come into a realization of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:4).

“We rely on the living God, Who is the Savior of all mankind” (1 Timothy 4:10).

5/7/2015 10:45:22 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Pmg, in the Douay Rheims and New American translations, "father" is not capitalized. In ancient Greek, from which Matthew was translated, there is no such thing as a capital letter.

If Abraham can be called "father" so can a Catholic priest.

5/7/2015 2:58:12 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

But no Catholic priest has fathered a nation, like Abraham has.

The Catholic church is corrupt.

5/7/2015 4:35:59 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from ludlowlowell:
Furchizedek, my point is, if Abraham can be called father, father in the spiritual sense, why cant a Catholic priest be called father?

Because, when Abraham was around, Jesus wasn't around. Then Jesus came and corrected the situation.

This is The NEW RULE effective from the minute Jesus, the Son of God, said it:

"Call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." (Matthew 23:9)

Priests are not your father in the spiritual sense. "for one is your Father, which is in heaven." Only God the Father in heaven is your spiritual Father.

Your argument is with Jesus, and thus, your question, should be to Jesus, like this:

Jesus, my point is, if Abraham can be called father, father in the spiritual sense, why cant a Catholic priest be called father?

And Jesus, as God, would probably say, "Because I said so that's why. Now go and sin no more and call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

5/7/2015 4:48:11 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

But Abraham is called "our father in faith" in the NEW Testament, in several places, AFTER Jesus walked the earth.

5/7/2015 5:00:17 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

Only the Jews call him that.

So what?

5/7/2015 5:12:27 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from ludlowlowell:
But Abraham is called "our father in faith" in the NEW Testament, in several places, AFTER Jesus walked the earth.

But Jesus, Abraham is called "our father in faith" in the NEW Testament, in several places, AFTER You walked the earth. How do you explain that, Jesus? Huh? HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT, JESUS? Jesus, when YOU wrote the NEW TESTAMENT AFTER YOU WERE DEAD, HOW COME YOU LEFT THAT STUFF IN THERE? Huh? Huh? Huh? Jesus, I DEMAND that you explain all this to me! I just cannot understand what "Call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." means, Jesus. It's not clear to me what you mean and I want to keep arguing with you about it.

5/8/2015 8:42:26 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

pmg920
Latrobe, PA
50, joined Oct. 2013

Quote from ludlowlowell:
Pmg, in the Douay Rheims and New American translations, "father" is not capitalized. In ancient Greek, from which Matthew was translated, there is no such thing as a capital letter.

If Abraham can be called "father" so can a Catholic priest.

I only use the King James Version. As 1 song that I heard about the KJV, "If it's good enough for Jesus and the Apostles, it is good enough for me" LOL

Seriously, though, these things really don't bother me. I have enough to deal with right now that most of these topics on here I just skip over and let everyone else discuss them. (Unless it is something that has interest.) Most of them end up on rabbit trails, anyway.

5/8/2015 10:08:05 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

isna_la_wica
Brantford, ON
60, joined Mar. 2012

This is what Peter wrote about Paul.

2 Peter 3:15-17Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
15 and the long-suffering of our Lord count ye salvation, according as also our beloved brother Paul -- according to the wisdom given to him -- did write to you,

16 as also in all the epistles, speaking in them concerning these things, among which things are certain hard to be understood, which the untaught and unstable do wrest, as also the other Writings, unto their own destruction.

17 Ye, then, beloved, knowing before, take heed, lest, together with the error of the impious being led away, ye may fall from your own stedfastness,

He was a brilliant man, able to understand the Spiritual nature, in ways others can not fathom. He gave us "milk", and then "meat", for those of us who grew more mature in our faith.

Seems to be, all the proponents of strange doctrines, try to diminish what he taught. No wonder really, cults do not like the concept that we can reach Christ, with out them. But Paul, taught us about, how the torn vail allowed us to reach Christ in a personal way.

One person summed it up this way.

Some people say Paul's writings shouldn't be included in the Bible, because they cannot even digest the "milk" he dispenses... much less the "meat." These folks aren't "spirit-minded," but are carnal minded, which is the natural mind of man that doesn't have God's Truth revealed to it.
Why do some people say that paul's writings should not be ...
www.answers.com › … › Christianity › The Bible

A very good assesment, I think.

A lot of Liars, claim his work should not be included in Scripture, and were fabricated centuries after the start of Christianity.

But one of the very oldest Christian documents, called the Didache, believed to be from the first century, recognizes Paul.

(DOCTRINE OF THE TWELVE APOSTLES)

A short treatise which was accounted by some of the Fathers as next to Holy Scripture. It was rediscovered in 1873 by Bryennios, Greek Orthodox metropolitan of Nicomedia, in the codex from which, in 1875, he had published the full text of the Epistles of St. Clement. The title in the manuscript is Didache kyriou dia ton dodeka apostolon ethesin, but before this it gives the heading Didache ton dodeka apostolon. The old Latin translation of cc. i-v, found by Dr. J. Schlecht in 1900, has the longer title, omitting "twelve", and has a rubric De doctrinâ Apostolorum. For convenience the contents may be divided into three parts: the first is the "Two Ways", the Way of Life and the Way of Death; the second part is a rituale dealing with baptism, fasting, and Holy Communion; the third speaks of the ministry. Doctrinal teaching is presupposed, and none is imparted.

The Didache is mentioned by Eusebius after the books of Scripture (Church History III.25.4): "Let there be placed among the spuria the writing of the Acts of Paul, the so-called Shepherd and the Apocalypse of Peter, and besides these the Epistle known as that of Barnabas, and what are called the Teachings of the Apostles, and also . . . the Apocalypse of John, if this be thought fit . . ." St. Athanasius and Rufinus add the "Teaching" to the sapiential and other deutero-canonical books. (Rufinus gives the curious alternative title "Judicium Petri".) It has a similar place in the lists of Nicephorus, Pseudo-Anastasius, and Pseudo-Athanasius (Synopsis). The Pseudo-Cyprianic "Adversus Aleatores" quotes it by name. Unacknowledged citations are very common, if less certain. The "Two Ways" appears in Barnabas, cc. xviii-xx, sometimes word for word, sometimes added to, dislocated, or abridged, and Barn., iv, 9 is from Didache, xvi, 2-3, or vice versa. Hermas, Irenæus, Clement of Alexandria, and Origen seem to use the work, and so in the West do Optatus and the "Gesta apud Zenophilum". The Didascalia Apostolorum are founded upon the Didache. The Apostolic church ordinance has used a part, the Apostolic Constitutions have embodied the Didascalia. There are echoes in Justin, Tatian, Theophilus, Cyprian, and Lactantius.
The Didache: The Catholic Encyclopedia. - NEW ADVENT: Home
www.newadvent.org › Catholic Encyclopedia › D

All those attacking Paul, are simply trying to get him out of scripture, so they can promote their own agenda, which opposes the Gospel told to us by Christ, via Paul.

Well they can keep their kool aid. I prefer milk with my steak and eggs.

5/8/2015 10:24:04 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

Quote from pmg920:
I only use the King James Version. As 1 song that I heard about the KJV, "If it's good enough for Jesus and the Apostles, it is good enough for me" LOL

I don't know what kind of song you are singing. but the fact is that Jesus Christ and His Apostles never saw the King James version. The first KJV came out in 1611, well over 1000 years after Jesus ascended. So it was never "good enough" for Him.

The KJV was a rip off of Tyndale's version aka the Tavern Bible. Kinda ironic because he was killed for publishing it. So the KJV became damage control.

King James himself was bisexual. And whenever there was a question about how to translate a certain passage the king was always the final authority.

So I hope you are enjoying your bisexual king's English version.

5/8/2015 10:37:56 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Bigd, I know you are not a fan of the Catholic Church, but woyld you agree that if "call no man father" wete taken literally, no one could call teir natural father by that name, or Dad, or Pop, or anything like that? And would you agree that if Paul ,allwd Abraham "our father in faith" that that is further evidence that "call no man father" is not to be taken literally? (Even if only Jews can call Abraham this, which is incorrect, still at least the Jews are allowed to call some men father.) Also, I know you are a.great admirer of the Greek Orthodox, and they call their priests "Father".

5/8/2015 10:41:39 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Bigd, I think Pmg was making a joke. Pmg, do you think "call no man father" should be taken literally, and if so, why did Paul call Abraham "our father in faith"?

5/8/2015 10:54:22 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

Quote from ludlowlowell:
Bigd, I know you are not a fan of the Catholic Church, but woyld you agree that if "call no man father" wete taken literally, no one could call teir natural father by that name, or Dad, or Pop, or anything like that? And would you agree that if Paul ,allwd Abraham "our father in faith" that that is further evidence that "call no man father" is not to be taken literally? (Even if only Jews can call Abraham this, which is incorrect, still at least the Jews are allowed to call some men father.) Also, I know you are a.great admirer of the Greek Orthodox, and they call their priests "Father".

Calling your priests "father" is wrong, according to Jesus. But I don't think it is a terrible offense. I would consider murder and lying about the nature of God to be much more serious offenses.

Israel called Abraham "father" long before Jesus said anything about it. How can they be held accountable?

And calling Abraham "the father of our faith" is not the same thing as calling him "father."

You still think that if someone commits an offence toward God that it is OK for you to? You have alot to learn about accountability. Maybe that how you can be so flippant when it come to His Word.

5/8/2015 11:41:57 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

So if I called my priest "father in faith" rather than just plain father, that would be okay?

5/8/2015 3:23:36 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from ludlowlowell:
So if I called my priest "father in faith" rather than just plain father, that would be okay?

Your childish arguments are with Jesus.

"If a man love me, he will keep my words."(John 14:23)
"He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings." (John 14:24)

5/8/2015 3:33:36 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

I suppose so. But either way I don't think it would be a big deal. If you have read where Jesus tells us not to call men "Father" and you do it, don't you think you are asking for trouble? I mean, this is a pretty obvious one. If you can't understand this one how could you ever understand His other instructions.

But if you are telling God's children that He will send them to a place of eternal torment, then you are pissing Him off and you will suffer the consequences.

To say there is no "hell" is NOT the same as saying there is no punishment. There is.

And when you stand in front of Jesus during His judgment He will ask you...

What have you told them about Me and My Father?

The Catholic church is Apostate.

5/8/2015 10:20:09 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from isna_la_wica:
This is what Peter wrote about Paul.

2 Peter 3:15-17Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
15 and the long-suffering of our Lord count ye salvation, according as also our beloved brother Paul -- according to the wisdom given to him -- did write to you,

16 as also in all the epistles, speaking in them concerning these things, among which things are certain hard to be understood, which the untaught and unstable do wrest, as also the other Writings, unto their own destruction.

17 Ye, then, beloved, knowing before, take heed, lest, together with the error of the impious being led away, ye may fall from your own stedfastness,

Wikipedia (and bible scholars) says that Peter probably did not write 2 Peter. If Peter didn't write 2 Peter then Peter doesn't say these things about Paul.

"According to the Epistle itself, it was composed by the Apostle Peter, an eyewitness to Jesus' ministry. It criticizes "false teachers" who distort the authentic, apostolic tradition, and predicts judgment for them. 2 Peter explains that God has delayed the Second Coming of Christ so that more people will have the chance to reject evil and find salvation. It calls on Christians to wait patiently for the parousia and to study scripture.
The date of composition has proven to be very difficult to determine. Commentaries and reference books have placed 2 Peter in almost every decade from 60 to 160AD.[3]

Most biblical scholars have concluded Peter is not the author, considering the epistle pseudepigraphical.[4][5] Reasons for this include its linguistic differences from 1 Peter, its apparent use of Jude, possible allusions to 2nd-century gnosticism, encouragement in the wake of a delayed parousia, and weak external support.[6]

The questions of authorship and date are closely related. For Petrine authorship to be authentic, it must have been written prior to Peter's death in c 65–67AD. The letter refers to the Pauline epistles and so must post-date at least some of them, regardless of authorship, thus a date before 60 is improbable. Further, it goes as far to name the Pauline epistles as "scripture" — the only time a New Testament work refers to another New Testament work in this way — implying that it postdates them by some time.[7]

Chester & Martin say scholars consider the epistle to be written between c 100–150AD[8] and so contend that it is pseudepigraphical. For an argument for a late date see Harris.[9] For a 'middle date' see Bauckham who opts for a date between 80–90AD as most probable.[10] For an early date and (usually) for a defense of the Apostle Peter's authorship see Kruger,[11] Zahn,[12] Spitta,[13] Bigg,[14] and Green.[15] Jeremy Duff argues that the various strands of evidence "point towards the period 60–130 CE, with some reason to favour 80–90 CE."[16]"

5/10/2015 1:54:31 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

pmg920
Latrobe, PA
50, joined Oct. 2013

Quote from ludlowlowell:
Bigd, I think Pmg was making a joke. Pmg, do you think "call no man father" should be taken literally, and if so, why did Paul call Abraham "our father in faith"?

Lud and Bigd,

I was making a joke about the KJV. It was from some parody song that I had heard many years ago. Don't know who did it and I tried to find it with a google search and came up empty.

As for "calling no man father", you have to look at the context that it is in. In Matthew, Jesus is condemning the Pharisees for their outward appearance which was ok, but inwardly their hearts were corrupt. Some of the Pharisees did recognize Jesus as the Messiah, but many did not. In Romans, though, Paul is addressing the church in Rome that comprised of Jews and Gentiles. He was tying in Abraham's faith to have faith in Christ.

5/10/2015 4:21:53 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

Quote from pmg920:
Lud and Bigd,

I was making a joke about the KJV. It was from some parody song that I had heard many years ago. Don't know who did it and I tried to find it with a google search and came up empty.

Perhaps you don't realize it, but there are people who will take that seriously.

Quote from pmg920:
As for "calling no man father", you have to look at the context that it is in. In Matthew, Jesus is condemning the Pharisees for their outward appearance which was ok, but inwardly their hearts were corrupt. Some of the Pharisees did recognize Jesus as the Messiah, but many did not. In Romans, though, Paul is addressing the church in Rome that comprised of Jews and Gentiles. He was tying in Abraham's faith to have faith in Christ.

So many make the mistake of grouping all the Jews together and writing them off. But from the beginning the Jews were divided about Jesus. Even the Sanhedrin.

CLV Jn 10:19 A schism came again among the Jews because of these words.

CLV Jn 11:45 Many of the Jews, then, who come to Mary and gaze at what Jesus does, believe in Him.

5/10/2015 5:17:50 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Sadly, only a very, very few of the Jews of Jesus'time believed in Him.

5/10/2015 7:05:10 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

furchizedek
Kingman, AZ
72, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from ludlowlowell:
Sadly, only a very, very few of the Jews of Jesus'time believed in Him.

It probably doesn't matter. They will all be given a chance to be fully informed about everything on the Mansion Worlds (John 14:2), away from this religious madness down here on earth. And the same goes for all the Chinese who didn't believe in Him and all the people in India and all the Eskimos and all the Pygmies and everyone else.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (John 14:2)

MANY MANSIONS FOR US ALL.

And Jesus says doing the Father's will, not believing in Jesus, is the ticket to heaven.

"Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

5/10/2015 8:25:13 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

Yes.

It is a shame that the Catholic church doesn't believe Him.

5/10/2015 9:12:04 PM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Bigd, would you say the Eastern Orthodox believe in Christ?

5/11/2015 8:29:11 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

pmg920
Latrobe, PA
50, joined Oct. 2013

Bigd,

Couldn't copy the quote, but I know that some take it too seriously about the KJV. That was the whole point of the parody song. I know of one person who has criticized Pastors for not using the KJV and using something else. I know your thoughts on the KJV based on what you have written on here, but in reality there are many versions of the Bible out there. Some are good and some are not so good, especially if a version changes the core doctrine of Christianity. I have heard that some versions are making God with female or genderless characteristics.

5/11/2015 8:53:50 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

Actually I study the Bible from the Ancient Greek manuscripts.

I use the CLV here.

So I would put that text ahead of "core doctrine of Christianity."

5/14/2015 9:28:41 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

ludlowlowell
Panama City, FL
62, joined Feb. 2008

Catholic belief and Eastern Orthodox belief is nearly identical, except that the latter dont recognize the pope. Would you say, Bigd, that the EOs dont believe in Christ?

5/14/2015 11:24:32 AM Is Paul in Hell?  

bigd9832
Chicago, IL
62, joined Oct. 2007

You will have to prove to me that they are "nearly identical."

Did you tell tnt that Peter ate pork chops?

It sounds like you have lost it.

Your lies are starting to catch up with you. It's getting so that if you told me your name I would have to see your ID.