Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

new hookup app

I d say that two characters dating in a fake roleplaying thread is distinctive than in fact dating a person on the net. palm beach chat line numbers Soon after hearing this tips unprompted quite a few occasions, it gets annoying. I am nonetheless figuring out the legalities in sharing facts and names and what extent I can go to, she says. how to find sex on craigslist She told me she was drunk and that they only kissed just before she stopped it going further.

megapersonals app

They also launched video chat and voice call characteristics inside the app , so if you nevertheless feel far more comfy with a virtual date, hit up Bumble. sioux falls christian singles According to Match, 1. A single of the most significant problems we ve faced lately is with how targeted traffic is diverted to our web page. locanto vegas Tinder, Hinge, Bumble and most other apps operate on the principle of swiping on the basis of physical attractiveness.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

1/8/2016 2:44:39 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,770)
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Most already know that radical Islam hates both Jews and Christians. I am posting small excerpts of this article, from time to time, for those interested in finding out why...

The Real History of the Crusades, By Prof. Thomas F. Madden

"The crusades are quite possibly the most misunderstood event in European history. Most of what passes for public knowledge about it is either misleading or just plain wrong.

"Misconceptions about the Crusades are all too common. The Crusades are generally portrayed as a series of holy wars against Islam led by power-mad popes and fought by religious fanatics. They are supposed to have been the epitome of self-righteousness and intolerance, a black stain on the history of the Catholic Church in particular and Western civilization in general. A breed of proto-imperialists, the Crusaders [are thought to have] introduced Western aggression to the peaceful Middle East and then deformed the enlightened Muslim culture, leaving it in ruins. For variations on this theme, one need not look far. See, for example, Steven Runciman's famous three-volume epic, History of the Crusades, or the BBC/A&E documentary, The Crusades, hosted by Terry Jones. Both are terrible history yet wonderfully entertaining."

"So what is the truth about the Crusades? Scholars are still working some of that out. But much can already be said with certainty. For starters, the Crusades to the East were in every way defensive wars. They were a direct response to Muslim aggression—an attempt to turn back or defend against Muslim conquests of Christian lands."
_________________________________________________________________________________

This special version of the article was reprinted by permission of Crisis Magazine, www.crisismagazine.com

(Thomas F. Madden is associate professor and chair of the Department of History at Saint Louis University. He is the author of numerous works, including The New Concise History of the Crusades, and co-author, with Donald Queller, of The Fourth Crusade: The Conquest of Constantinople).

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

1/8/2016 5:47:37 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,836)
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

wondering how the f**k christian lands ever became christian lands and muslim lands ever became muslim lands.

1/8/2016 6:26:30 PM The Real History of the Crusades  
Yasureoktoo
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (22,106)
Seattle, WA
61, joined Dec. 2014

Military conquest.

1/8/2016 7:56:30 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
wondering how the f**k christian lands ever became christian lands and muslim lands ever became muslim lands.

Europe had been at least partially evaded by Rome, which by then, waning in power, had become "The Holy Roman Empire."

But the point this author is making is that the re-taking of Jerusalem did not happen in a vacuum. Before that, Europe had suffered being besieged many times by Kurdish imperialism; by the Turks, for one example.

What is a people/ nation to do when attacked and pillaged? Just lie down and vanish from the face of the earth?

Behind imperialism is not religion, but human greed. Oh, they may say they are doing this in the name of their God/s, but when you boil it down it is simply greed/ covetousness.

1/8/2016 8:01:11 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from Yasureoktoo:
Military conquest.

As to who did what first is still being unraveled. But the point here in this article is that the besiege of Jerusalem did did not happen, unprovoked, in a vacuum,.. as many Muslims I am sure are taught.

1/8/2016 8:07:25 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from walt_oftheearth:
Europe had been at least partially evaded by Rome, which by then, waning in power, had become "The Holy Roman Empire."

But the point this author is making is that the re-taking of Jerusalem did not happen in a vacuum. Before that, Europe had suffered being besieged many times by Kurdish imperialism; by the Turks, for one example.

What is a people/ nation to do when attacked and pillaged? Just lie down and vanish from the face of the earth?

Behind imperialism is not religion, but human greed. Oh, they may say they are doing this in the name of their God/s, but when you boil it down it is simply greed/ covetousness.

so if greed is behind imperialism then it follows that christian lands became christian lands because of greedy christians and muslim lands became muslim lands because of greedy muslims. we all know that jews are greedy so that explains isreal too, huh?

1/8/2016 8:13:05 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

As to who did what first is still being unraveled. But the point here in this article is that the besiege of Jerusalem did did not happen, unprovoked, in a vacuum,.. as many Muslims I am sure are taught.

so if who did what first is still being unraveled then their can be no REAL HISTORY OF THE CRUSADES until that happens, no? kinda/sorta like showing highlights of a chess game having no idea who played white.

1/8/2016 8:17:16 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so if greed is behind imperialism then it follows that christian lands became christian lands because of greedy christians and muslim lands became muslim lands because of greedy muslims. we all know that jews are greedy so that explains isreal too, huh?

Well, yes. Jewish people, though they have a small country, have gotten their fingers in finance. And the U.S., as far as I know, is still sending economic and other kinds of support.

That's another reason radical Islam does not like the U.S.

I can understand why John Lennon wrote the song, Imagine.

1/8/2016 8:21:27 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so if who did what first is still being unraveled then their can be no REAL HISTORY OF THE CRUSADES until that happens, no? kinda/sorta like showing highlights of a chess game having no idea who played white.

No, it's important to know that Muslims were in fact not mere, innocent victims. This much we do know. They were imperialistic long BEFORE the organized European efforts to reclaim Jerusalem

1/8/2016 8:26:11 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Well, yes. Jewish people, though they have a small country, have gotten their fingers in finance. And the U.S., as far as I know, is still sending economic and other kinds of support.

so jews still have jewland and muslims still have islamland but you xtians no longer have xtianland? you saved by jesus folk need to learn how to fight a war, huh?

1/8/2016 8:46:20 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

No, it's important to know that Muslims were in fact not mere, innocent victims. This much we do know. They were imperialistic long BEFORE the organized European efforts to reclaim Jerusalem

i suppose my confusion comes from these statements;

first, the title of your thread and the article, "The Real History of the Crusades,"

and second, this from your expert and author of the article itself,"So what is the truth about the Crusades? Scholars are still working some of that out."

so if the truth of the crusades has not been completely worked out how can anybody know the real history of the crusades? is that like real but not quite true?

1/8/2016 9:14:26 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so jews still have jewland and muslims still have islamland but you xtians no longer have xtianland? you saved by jesus folk need to learn how to fight a war, huh?

The world rallied around what was left of the Jewish people after WWII, and insured a place for them. And rightly so, after the unspeakable things they endured.

I feel a lot of Christians know, as Jesus made clear, that there is a Kingdom that is not of this world.

All we know this reality we see here in this world and these lives we live, isn't always so great. And there is a reality far more real, and true than this.

Though skirmishes still come, the war to insure that Place has already been won.

1/9/2016 1:35:03 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,628)
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Religion X fighting religion Y over land, nothing new.
How does this compare to settlement of the new world?
Empire building do all religions do it? Whose land was it to begin with ?
That's the question.

1/9/2016 5:42:22 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

As many Christians are taught . We have a bonafide environment , and universe , that teaches us its secrets .

If they don't match the popular consensus , who is wrong ? The universe , or the culprits that refuse to learn anymore ?

1/9/2016 6:11:21 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

sail_dancer
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,520)
Saint Petersburg, FL
68, joined Apr. 2010
online now!

Quote from nonstandard:
As many Christians are taught . We have a bonafide environment , and universe , that teaches us its secrets .

If they don't match the popular consensus , who is wrong ? The universe , or the culprits that refuse to learn anymore ?

Peace

1/9/2016 6:27:51 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

I feel a lot of Christians know, as Jesus made clear, that there is a Kingdom that is not of this world.

but the article refers to "christian lands" during the crusades which happened a thousand years after his death. so were the christians who possessed these lands just not paying attention to jesus???

1/9/2016 7:35:26 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from jrbogie1949:
but the article refers to "christian lands" during the crusades which happened a thousand years after his death. so were the christians who possessed these lands just not paying attention to jesus???

I agree , the promised lands , are stolen from natives .

If Jesus came back , he would look no different than the natives , he would be crucified ....again .

And again , he would be the same old faceless being , with the same old face.

How many times must they kill him , to know they killed him .

1/9/2016 7:44:00 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Never , why wrap an agenda around a messiah ?

When they can wrap a messiah around an agenda ?

1/9/2016 12:09:43 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

1/9/2016 12:26:25 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from olderthandirt20:
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

1/9/2016 1:45:23 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

There are some that will commit genocide to make everybody the same .

There are some that knew we were the same the whole time .

1/9/2016 8:17:15 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Religion X fighting religion Y over land, nothing new.
How does this compare to settlement of the new world?
Empire building do all religions do it? Whose land was it to begin with ?
That's the question.

Right along up there next to slavery, is the wholesale slaughter of North America's native peoples. So, the United States doesn't have that much to be proud of in all it's history. When one people can call another people subhuman, in their eyes, it is justified.

However, it wasn't only religious peoples that fought over land. That is if you don't call Hitler religious.

1/9/2016 8:40:03 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:

That's an astute, reasonable question.

I would say that it is also not unreasonable for people--any people--to desire to have a home, and a homeland. And it is also reasonable to defend a homeland.

"Turning the other cheek" does not apply to a home or country, but to individuals.

1/9/2016 8:51:28 PM The Real History of the Crusades  
Yasureoktoo
Seattle, WA
61, joined Dec. 2014

All this time I thought it was teaching young men to shave.

1/9/2016 8:57:09 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Right along up there next to slavery, is the wholesale slaughter of North America's native peoples. So, the United States doesn't have that much to be proud of in all it's history. When one people can call another people subhuman, in their eyes, it is justified.

However, it wasn't only religious peoples that fought over land. That is if you don't call Hitler religious.

You are right to an extent in that it was/is not just religion that fueled all the empire building. However hitler was religious ( he started catholic and morphed religion to suit his agenda (( using hatred of jews from catholic & early christianity)) .

Christianity played a big role in subjugation of American natives by way of the christian boarding schools.

Religion is a very powerful tool, it is very easy to use to turn human beings against their fellow man as history shows.
Religion has been misused too many times through politics for conquest and genocide.
Religion is as dangerous as as any weapon including atomic bombs.
anytime people are told to do another's will, anytime a person surrenders their own will for another persons wishes, they become pawns in a game they cannot control.

1/9/2016 9:14:01 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

You are right to an extent in that it was/is not just religion that fueled all the empire building. However hitler was religious ( he started catholic and morphed religion to suit his agenda (( using hatred of jews from catholic & early christianity)) .

Christianity played a big role in subjugation of American natives by way of the christian boarding schools.

Religion is a very powerful tool, it is very easy to use to turn human beings against their fellow man as history shows.
Religion has been misused too many times through politics for conquest and genocide.
Religion is as dangerous as as any weapon including atomic bombs.
anytime people are told to do another's will, anytime a person surrenders their own will for another persons wishes, they become pawns in a game they cannot control.

Religious people murdered Jesus.

1/9/2016 9:33:44 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

That's your answer?

So you're saying the christians were justified to invade the" holy lands" and they were justified in invading the Americas ?

1/9/2016 9:39:15 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Religious people murdered Jesus.

That's your answer?

So you're saying the christians were justified to invade the" holy lands" and they were justified in invading the Americas ?

Just saying that religion can be like a drug. How else could Jim Jones get hundreds of people to drink "Cool Aid"?

1/9/2016 9:47:19 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

And that is precisely my objection to religion. I do not believe gods exist but I would not care if people choose to believe in them. It is the religion's power to mesmerise people to do despicable things to others in the name of these imaginary gods that causes my disdain for religions.

1/9/2016 10:07:14 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

And that is precisely my objection to religion. I do not believe gods exist but I would not care if people choose to believe in them. It is the religion's power to mesmerise people to do despicable things to others in the name of these imaginary gods that causes my disdain for religions.

If I were the devil, I would seek to cause religious people to do despicable things in the name of their God.

And that is precisely what we are seeing today, in radical jihadist Islam.

But I am not saying that people who called themselves Christians have not also done despicable things. Case in point, what I earlier posted about slavery and the systematic murder of native Americans.

I think, in the end, it will all boil down to what each individual, from their heart does, or does not do.

James 1:27)

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

Eugene Peterson, in his The Message translation puts the above verse even more clearly:

"Anyone who sets himself up as “religious” by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world."

1/9/2016 10:16:31 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

So are you still contending the crusades were justified? That all the killing, rape and pillaging were "not that big of deal"?

1/10/2016 6:02:52 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

sail_dancer
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,520)
Saint Petersburg, FL
68, joined Apr. 2010
online now!

So are you still contending the crusades were justified? That all the killing, rape and pillaging were "not that big of deal"?

What is the point of this thread?

Peace

1/10/2016 6:16:54 AM The Real History of the Crusades  
clarence2
Over 1,000 Posts (1,555)
South Yorkshire
United Kingdom
58, joined May. 2011

Walt's source is a respectable mediaeval historian and a contributor to the Encyclpaedia Britannica entry on the Crusades. He argues that the Crusades were a response to the Islamic conquest of two thirds of Christendom. Both sides were fighting a holy war that was justified under the tenets of the respective religions. And Islam won, with the kind of disdain shown towards the Crusades in modernity by both Westerners and Muslims being the result of a changed attitude towards imperialism that began in the 20th century.

This article by Prof. Maddens explains his view fairly succinctly. What Walt is trying to make of it I don't know. It isn't as if modern Islamic terrorism represents the kind of vigorous expansionism Islam was capable of in the past, and American politicians, both conservative and liberal reject the notion that the West is at war with Islam as such..

Crusade Propaganda

By Prof. Thomas F. Madden

An alternative point of view by Prof. Thomas F. Madden, the author of A Concise History of the Crusades, about the Muslim culture and the frequent misunderstanding of Christianity's holy wars.
Since September 11 the crusades are news. When President Bush used the term "crusade" as it is commonly used, to denote a grand enterprise with a moral dimension, the media pelted him for insensitivity to Muslims. (Nevermind that the media used the term in precisely the same way before the "gaff.") Attempting to capitalize on this indignation, the leader of the Taliban, Mullah Omar, crowed "President Bush has told the truth that this is a crusade against Islam." Yet clearly the crusades were much on the minds of our enemies long before Bush brought them to their attention.

In a 1998 manifesto, cosigned by the leaders of Islamist groups in Egypt, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, Osama bin Laden declared war against the "Jews and the Crusaders." If you didn't guess, the Americans are the crusaders here. On the day the U.S. strikes on Afghanistan began, in a live-from-a-cave address, bin Laden declared Bush to be "the leader of the infidels" in a worldwide war against Islam. He previously warned that "crusader" Bush would lead the infidel forces into Afghanistan "under the banner of the cross."

So, what do the medieval crusades have to do with all this? After all, doesn't the Muslim world have a right to be upset about the legacy of the crusades? Nothing and no.

The crusades are quite possibly the most misunderstood event in European history. Ask a random American about them and you are likely to see a face wrinkle in disgust, or just the blank stare that is usually evoked by events older than six weeks. After all, weren't the crusaders just a bunch of religious nuts carrying fire and sword to the land of the Prince of Peace? Weren't they cynical imperialists seeking to carve out colonies for themselves in faraway lands with the blessings of the Catholic Church? A couch potato watching the BBC/A&E documentary on the crusades (hosted by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame no less) would learn in roughly four hours of frivolous tsk-tsk-ing that the peaceful Muslim world actually learned to be warlike from the barbaric western crusaders. No wonder, then, that Pope John Paul II was excoriated for his refusal to apologize for the crusades in 1999. No wonder that a year ago Wheaton College in Illinois dropped their Crusader mascot of 70 years. No wonder that hundreds of Americans and Europeans recently marched across Europe and the Middle East begging forgiveness for the crusades from any Muslim or Jew who would listen. No wonder.

Now put this down in your notebook, because it will be on the test: The crusades were in every way a defensive war. They were the West's belated response to the Muslim conquest of fully two-thirds of the Christian world. While the Arabs were busy in the seventh through the tenth centuries winning an opulent and sophisticated empire, Europe was defending itself against outside invaders and then digging out from the mess they left behind. Only in the eleventh century were Europeans able to take much notice of the East. The event that led to the crusades was the Turkish conquest of most of Christian Asia Minor (modern Turkey). The Christian emperor in Constantinople, faced with the loss of half of his empire, appealed for help to the rude but energetic Europeans. He got it. More than he wanted, in fact.

[Edited 1/10/2016 6:19:51 AM ]

1/10/2016 6:17:39 AM The Real History of the Crusades  
clarence2
Over 1,000 Posts (1,555)
South Yorkshire
United Kingdom
58, joined May. 2011

Continued..

Pope Urban II called the First Crusade in 1095. Despite modern laments about medieval colonialism, the crusade's real purpose was to turn back Muslim conquests and restore formerly Christian lands to Christian control. The entire history of the crusades is one of Western reaction to Muslim advances. The crusades were no more offensive than was the American invasion of Normandy. As it happened, the First Crusade was amazingly, almost miraculously, successful. The crusaders marched hundreds of miles deep into enemy territory and recaptured not only the lost cities of Nicaea and Antioch, but in 1099 Jerusalem itself. The Muslim response was a call for jihad, although internal divisions put that off for almost fifty years. With great leaders like Nur ed-Din and Saladin on the Muslim side and Richard the Lionheart and St. Louis IX on the Christian side, holy war was energetically waged in the Middle East for the next century and a half. The warriors on both sides believed, and by the tenets of their respective religions were justified in believing, that they were doing God's work. History, though, was on the side of Islam. Muslim rulers were becoming more, not less powerful. Their jihads grew in strength and effectiveness until, in 1291, the last remnants of the crusaders in Palestine and Syria were wiped out forever.

But that was not the end of the crusades, nor of jihad. Islamic states like Mamluk Egypt continued to expand in size and power. It was the Ottoman Turks, though, that built the largest and most awesome state in Muslim history. At its peak in the sixteenth century, the Ottoman Empire encompassed all of North Africa, the Near East, Arabia, and Asia Minor and had plunged deep into Europe, claiming Greece, Bulgaria, Albania, Hungary, Croatia, and Serbia. Under Suleiman the Magnificent the Turks came within a hair's breadth of capturing Vienna, which would have left all of Germany at their mercy. At that point crusades were no longer waged to rescue Jerusalem, but Europe itself. Christendom had been shrinking for centuries. The smart money was all on Islam as the wave of the future.

Of course, that is not how it turned out. But surprisingly the rise of the West was not the result of any military victory against Muslims. Indeed, the Ottoman Empire survived largely intact until the end of World War I. Instead, something completely new and totally unpredictable was happening in Europe. A new civilization, built on the old to be sure, was forming around ideas like individualism and capitalism. Europeans expanded on a global scale, leaving behind the Mediterranean world, seeking to understand and explore the entire planet. Great wealth in a commercial economy led to a fundamental change in almost every aspect of Western life, culminating in industrialization. The Enlightenment turned Western attention away from Heaven and toward the things of this world. Soon religion in the West became simply a matter of personal preference. Crusades became unthinkable - a foolishness of a civilization's childhood.

As for the Islamic world, it was left behind. Even today Muslim countries struggle to catch up. It is a difficult task, for they are seeking to reconcile their own culture with modern concepts that are uniquely western. Invariably this tension has led to charges among Muslims that their religion and their world is being sold out. Those Muslim leaders who have dealt with the West have been labeled apostates and sometimes targeted by jihad warriors. Indeed, the vast majority of Islamist terrorism over the last century has been aimed at other Muslims. The division, starkly put, is between those who wish to adopt the benefits of Western culture while retaining a devotion to Islam and those who consider any concession to the West to be an abjuration of faith. In short, it is a division between the medieval and the modern worlds.

Which brings us back to the crusades. If the Muslims won the crusades (and they did), why the anger now? Shouldn't they celebrate the crusades as a great victory? Until the nineteenth century that is precisely what they did. It was the West that taught the Middle East to hate the crusades. During the peak of European colonialism, historians began extolling the medieval crusades as Europe's first colonial venture. By the 20th century, when imperialism was discredited, so too were the crusades. They haven't been the same since. In other words, Muslims in the Middle East - including bin Laden and his creatures - know as little about the real crusades as Americans do. Both view them in the context of the modern, rather than the medieval world. The truth is that the crusades had nothing to do with colonialism or unprovoked aggression. They were a desperate and largely unsuccessful attempt to defend against a powerful enemy.

That's the thing about bin Laden, he is a troublesome mix of the modern and the medieval. He and his lieutenants regularly fulminate about the "nation," a reference to a Muslim political unity that died in the seventh century. They evoke an image of the crusades colored with the legacy of modern imperialism. And they call for jihad, demanding that every Muslim in the world take part. In short, they live in a dream world, a desert cloister where the last thousand years only partially happened.
http://www.trans4mind.com/counterpoint/index-esoteric/madden.shtml

[Edited 1/10/2016 6:18:08 AM ]

1/10/2016 7:21:21 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Quote from sail_dancer:
What is the point of this thread?

Peace

Walt claims christians were justified initiating the crusades because of arab expansion in the Mediterranean area. Walt is using an authentic source this time ( I researched it before my first post *C2*)
My contention is that if one is to absolve French christians & English christians & spanish christians because of muslim aggression during the "holy wars", how do you view French ,Spanish and English expansionism in the new world often fueled by christian & catholic leaders (divine right of kings ).

For some reason Clarence 1st post was flagged for review when I
came on this A.M.

1/10/2016 7:43:02 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

hey walt, when we're done kicking this crusades dead horse maybe we can move on to the inquisition.

1/10/2016 6:58:57 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
hey walt, when we're done kicking this crusades dead horse maybe we can move on to the inquisition.

That's a sticky subject, yet I think will be made less so when we understand what the powers that be at that time were.

Stay tuned.

1/10/2016 7:01:28 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Sail had asked what is the purpose of this thread.

To educate.

It was not at first Christians picking on poor, peaceful Muslims, as many are led to believe.

Muslims had slaughtered hundreds of thousands in Europe, beforehand, unprovoked

1/10/2016 8:54:51 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

That's a sticky subject, yet I think will be made less so when we understand what the powers that be at that time were.

Stay tuned.

what do you not understand about what the powers that be were at the time of the inquisition? do you need another reference? have you never discussed a topic relying on your own knowledge of the subject matter? seems to me that's why you get tripped up so much in your own threads. you're a fantastic copy/paste technician but can you simply match wits with the few of us here who are capable?

1/10/2016 9:01:24 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
what do you not understand about what the powers that be were at the time of the inquisition? do you need another reference? have you never discussed a topic relying on your own knowledge of the subject matter? seems to me that's why you get tripped up so much in your own threads. you're a fantastic copy/paste technician but can you simply match wits with the few of us here who are capable?

I don;t have a photographic memory, so what I have studied decades ago, needs to be reviewed.

1/10/2016 9:22:40 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

huh. never thought of memory as knowledge. is copy/paste of an article you found on the internet either?

1/11/2016 4:53:51 AM The Real History of the Crusades  
Yasureoktoo
Seattle, WA
61, joined Dec. 2014

I don;t have a photographic memory, so what I have studied decades ago, needs to be reviewed.

The first 3 signs of getting old.

First your memory starts to go.

Second your sex drive.

third, hmmm, I forgot what that one was.

1/11/2016 6:23:32 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from Yasureoktoo:
The first 3 signs of getting old.

First your memory starts to go.

Second your sex drive.

third, hmmm, I forgot what that one was.

hey, i'm older than walt with a memory sharp as a tack and women crawling all over me. the sex just isn't the greatest feeling ever like when i was young. it's been surpassed by that third thing. infrequent bowel movements.

1/11/2016 8:56:51 AM The Real History of the Crusades  
clarence2
Over 1,000 Posts (1,555)
South Yorkshire
United Kingdom
58, joined May. 2011

To educate.

It was not at first Christians picking on poor, peaceful Muslims, as many are led to believe.

Yes, but our Christian ancestors also bestrode the world like vandals destroying indigenous cultures, so no one is innocent. Only in fairly recent history has there been a backlash against imperialism and the feeling by civilized people that the expansionistic invading of other countries is wrong.

1/11/2016 10:05:23 AM The Real History of the Crusades  
Yasureoktoo
Seattle, WA
61, joined Dec. 2014

Ain't religion Grand.

1/11/2016 11:39:51 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

JR has asked to discuss the infamous Inquisitions. Here, from Rice University's Galileo Project is what seems to be quite an accurate account of the heinous abuse of religion referred to as The Inquisition....

http://galileo.rice.edu/chr/inquisition.html

There are a couple of things to bear in mind, when discussing the unconscionable acts of the Inquisition. First of all, these were edicts coming from so called Papal authority, to murder those who apposed Roman Catholicism. I use the word murder because those accused of heresy were hardly given any kind of fair trial at all.

Second, though these criminal & murderous deeds--to this day--still give God a black eye, one must realize we are hard pressed to find anything in the New Testament to support what Catholicism did.

So, what is Catholicism's basis for defending what they did? How did they come to believe they were under God's authority to murder people? The answer? A simple misreading and misapplication of the words of Christ found in Matthew 16:18, which Catholics erroneously point to as Jesus declaring Peter as a "rock," the first Pope (Note the different New Testament Greek words)....

"Thou art Peter [petros], and upon this rock [petra] I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (King James Version)

From Strong's Concordance:

Petros (a rock or a stone)

Pe'-trä (a rock, cliff or ledge, a projecting rock, crag, rocky ground, a rock, a large stone, metaphorically a man like a rock, by reason of his firmness and strength of soul

Jesus was NOT declaring Peter the rock upon which Jesus would build His church. Jesus was referring to Himself!

The Jubilee Bible (2000) is one of the few Bibles that correctly translates Matthew 16:18 from the original Greek..

"Thou art Peter, a small rock and upon the large rock I will build my congregation, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against her."

And Paul, the Apostle, refers to Christ as that Rock.....

1 Corinthians 10:4: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

"Yes, a time is coming when the one who kills you will think he’s serving God." ~ Jesus (John 16:2) (New International Version)

1/12/2016 11:55:14 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from clarence2:

To educate.

Yes, but our Christian ancestors also bestrode the world like vandals destroying indigenous cultures, so no one is innocent. Only in fairly recent history has there been a backlash against imperialism and the feeling by civilized people that the expansionistic invading of other countries is wrong.

Ironically , all sympathy is a fairly recent development . Maybe it was the drugs

1/12/2016 9:21:20 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

JR has asked to discuss the infamous Inquisitions. Here, from Rice University's Galileo Project is what seems to be quite an accurate account of the heinous abuse of religion referred to as The Inquisition....

http://galileo.rice.edu/chr/inquisition.html

There are a couple of things to bear in mind, when discussing the unconscionable acts of the Inquisition. First of all, these were edicts coming from so called Papal authority, to murder those who apposed Roman Catholicism. I use the word murder because those accused of heresy were hardly given any kind of fair trial at all.

Second, though these criminal & murderous deeds--to this day--still give God a black eye, one must realize we are hard pressed to find anything in the New Testament to support what Catholicism did.

So, what is Catholicism's basis for defending what they did? How did they come to believe they were under God's authority to murder people? The answer? A simple misreading and misapplication of the words of Christ found in Matthew 16:18, which Catholics erroneously point to as Jesus declaring Peter as a "rock," the first Pope (Note the different New Testament Greek words)....

"Thou art Peter [petros], and upon this rock [petra] I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (King James Version)

From Strong's Concordance:

Petros (a rock or a stone)

Pe'-trä (a rock, cliff or ledge, a projecting rock, crag, rocky ground, a rock, a large stone, metaphorically a man like a rock, by reason of his firmness and strength of soul

Jesus was NOT declaring Peter the rock upon which Jesus would build His church. Jesus was referring to Himself!

The Jubilee Bible (2000) is one of the few Bibles that correctly translates Matthew 16:18 from the original Greek..

"Thou art Peter, a small rock and upon the large rock I will build my congregation, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against her."

And Paul, the Apostle, refers to Christ as that Rock.....

1 Corinthians 10:4: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

"Yes, a time is coming when the one who kills you will think he’s serving God." ~ Jesus (John 16:2) (New International Version)

have you ever entertained an original thought, walt?

1/14/2016 10:17:45 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

After all that our universe has taught us , how we use its knowledge to make everything work , we still think that primitive dominance is the answer .

You can take the beast out of the jungle , but you cant take the jungle out of the beast .

1/15/2016 8:15:52 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

The solution is to repair everything we touch .

1/15/2016 6:51:18 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

Stillherehaha
AnchorenaQueensland
Australia
69, joined Jun. 2015

Quote from nonstandard:
After all that our universe has taught us , how we use its knowledge to make everything work , we still think that primitive dominance is the answer .

You can take the beast out of the jungle , but you cant take the jungle out of the beast .

Is the beast ego fear and believing No one can cooperate with anyone unless they dominate the situation out of fear of becoming used abused?

1/15/2016 9:27:26 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from nonstandard:
The solution is to repair everything we touch .

The down side of that is that everything is com-pulsed t go back into the ground, from where it came. Its that thing called entropy......

a process of degradation or running down or a trend to disorder

chaos, disorganization, randomness

1/15/2016 10:12:18 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

everything came from the ground????????

1/16/2016 5:08:55 AM The Real History of the Crusades  
clarence2
Over 1,000 Posts (1,555)
South Yorkshire
United Kingdom
58, joined May. 2011

Quote from jrbogie1949:

As in:

"By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:19)

1/16/2016 6:08:14 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

do fish return to the ground? I like sushi.

1/16/2016 10:40:54 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Dead fish return to the crustaceans , I like crab cakes.

1/16/2016 11:47:19 AM The Real History of the Crusades  

rufftreasure
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (16,039)
Fairmont, MN
61, joined Jun. 2014
online now!

I love crab cakes I just got everything I need to make them

1/16/2016 12:33:25 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:

Yes, I do believe so.

Steel, mortar, and wood for buildings
Steel, plastic (oil), fabric, and rubber for vehicles
Wool & meat from cattle and sheep, who eat the grass
Bread, fruit, and vegetables from the earth, and rain.

Everything comes from the earth, and returns.

Ashes to ashes; dust to dust.

"[So] lay up for yourselves treasure in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt. For where your treasure is, there will you find your heart."

1/16/2016 5:34:50 PM The Real History of the Crusades  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Yes, I do believe so.

Steel, mortar, and wood for buildings
Steel, plastic (oil), fabric, and rubber for vehicles
Wool & meat from cattle and sheep, who eat the grass
Bread, fruit, and vegetables from the earth, and rain.

Everything comes from the earth, and returns.

Ashes to ashes; dust to dust.

"[So] lay up for yourselves treasure in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt. For where your treasure is, there will you find your heart."

mars comes from the earth?