Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

liatcrawler

I could tell he was annoyed that I wasn t falling all over him following hearing his bragging. virginia singles He explained that as he had just turned 18 he hadn t been allowed in before. Each of us have been in our late 40s and had never ever been married, but she nonetheless insisted that it was far better to meet somebody the old fashioned way, meaning in individual, than on line. feet pics only fans You get the impression that some females feel guys like me are so desperate that they never have to take any care more than their appearance when you meet.

nsa hookup

Nonetheless, express permission of the regional bishop is required. craigslist personals fayetteville ar Nevertheless, she was fitting in the meetup after a volleyball league, so I figured we d meet, get a rapid drink, talk a bit and see if an actual date would be worth it. Zachary Zane is a Brooklyn based writer, speaker, and activist whose work focuses on way of life, sexuality, culture, and entertainment. maine onlyfans When two users match, they can t chat, alternatively they schedule a date.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

1/11/2016 11:50:20 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,770)
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Forum poster JR has asked to discuss the infamous Inquisitions, and so I thought I might just as well create a Topic on this. Here, from Rice University's Galileo Project is what seems to be quite an accurate account of the heinous abuse of religion referred to as The Inquisition....

http://galileo.rice.edu/chr/inquisition.html

There are a couple of things to bear in mind, when discussing the unconscionable acts of the Inquisition. First of all, these were edicts coming from so called Papal authority, to murder those who apposed Roman Catholicism. I use the word murder because those accused of heresy were hardly given any kind of fair trial at all.

Second, though these criminal & murderous deeds--to this day--still give God a black eye, one must realize we are hard pressed to find anything in the New Testament to support what Catholicism did.

So, what is Catholicism's basis for defending what they did? How did they come to believe they were under God's authority to murder people? The answer? A simple misreading and misapplication of the words of Christ found in Matthew 16:18, which Catholics erroneously point to as Jesus declaring Peter as a "rock," the first Pope (Note the different New Testament Greek words)....

"Thou art Peter [petros], and upon this rock [petra] I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (King James Version)

From Strong's Concordance:

Petros (a rock or a stone)

Pe'-trä (a rock, cliff or ledge, a projecting rock, crag, rocky ground, a rock, a large stone, metaphorically a man like a rock, by reason of his firmness and strength of soul

Jesus was NOT declaring Peter the rock upon which Jesus would build His church. Jesus was referring to Himself!

The Jubilee Bible (2000) is one of the few Bibles that correctly translates Matthew 16:18 from the original Greek..

"Thou art Peter, a small rock and upon the large rock I will build my congregation, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against her."

And Paul, the Apostle, refers to Christ as that Rock.....

1 Corinthians 10:4: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

"Yes, a time is coming when the one who kills you will think he’s serving God." ~ Jesus (John 16:2) (New International Version)

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

1/12/2016 9:26:03 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,836)
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

seems i recall you chastised another poster for copy/pasting long winded crap in one of your threads. let's have a search engine drag race everybody. no original thinking. nobody speak your thoughts. let's see how may copy/paste posts we can all come up with. let our computers discuss the issues.

1/13/2016 6:07:45 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  
clarence2
Over 1,000 Posts (1,554)
South Yorkshire
United Kingdom
58, joined May. 2011

Quote from walt_oftheearth:
heinous abuse of religion

What is the correct use of religion? I'd say not forcing it on other people is desirable, whether we're talking about the favourite religious ideologies of Catholics, Protestants, Muslims or anyone else. If we're looking to apportion blame, perhaps the human tendency to seek dominance over others is where it should lie.

1/13/2016 7:37:00 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

it's the ease with which religion has be heinously abused throughout history that makes the dogma so dangerous. adherents who hold fast to their faith are just readily manipulated by church 'leaders' to perpetrate dastardly deeds 'in the name of god' and excuse their actions as 'god's will.'

1/13/2016 7:46:39 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  
Yasureoktoo
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (22,106)
Seattle, WA
61, joined Dec. 2014

It's not our rules, It's God's rules.

We just enforce them.

1/13/2016 8:06:55 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

I don't know what to post in this thread. I know by experience that religious people can do very, very inhumane things.

History of the world, it seems. Man's inhumanity to man.

1/14/2016 5:53:35 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

sail_dancer
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,520)
Saint Petersburg, FL
68, joined Apr. 2010

I don't know what to post in this thread. I know by experience that religious people can do very, very inhumane things.

You created this thread ..... and ..... you "don't know what to post to this thread"?

Then how the heck do you expect us to figure out what to post in it?

You are seriously disturbed and need licensed mental health help.

Peace

1/14/2016 5:58:10 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

aphrodisianus
Over 1,000 Posts (1,600)
Leander, TX
66, joined Oct. 2013

Because obviously your religion creates and attracts psychopaths. Other religions don't seem to have this problem especially the Jains.

1/14/2016 6:03:24 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

olderthandirt20
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,625)
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Well seeing as how most religions are based on a god or gods, I would think it would be difficult to separate the two.
A religion without a god probably won't affect too many people. A god without a religion in all likelihood will not be too successful either.
If you combine religion with politics ( and somehow they seem to become combined ), Woa disaster!
The problem as I see it is religions susceptibility to this kind of (?)abuse.
Or maybe that is what it is designed for to keep members under the elders,leaders thumb.
Conformity, good thing or bad thing?
What do you think walt?

1/14/2016 9:35:49 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

seems you do know what to post. as you say, religious people can do very inhumane things. that's your own thinking and I find that refreshing after all the copy/paste. that the concept seems to sound distasteful to you is reassuring that you can think outside scripture.

indeed, god fearing folks have throughout history and still do commit heinous atrocities against their fellow humans and as is the case with the crusades, religious folks were at the center of those tragedies. we can argue all day that it was islam this or Christianity that but that argument is moot. the point is that it's god fearing people that continue to perpetrate such dastardly deeds. no matter the dogma, islam, Christianity, Judaism, pele worship, the pattern of tortue, immolation, human sacrifices to volcanos, all happen simply because the faithful that can be swayed to believe in some all mighty being can be swayed into anything.

1/14/2016 10:55:19 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
seems you do know what to post. as you say, religious people can do very inhumane things. that's your own thinking and I find that refreshing after all the copy/paste. that the concept seems to sound distasteful to you is reassuring that you can think outside scripture.

Yes, I have difficulty coming up with my own thoughts on this subject. One big reason is my having to admit that even in Judaism, we see a history of blood shed; conquering and killing. Why? Was it to preserve the writings and history of Judaism for posterity? But then we have the 3rd Reich. God did not appear very kind at all to the Jews there.

It's a copy and paste, but I did find it suitable here, so I am sharing it. From C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity:

"When a young man who has been going to church in a routine way honestly realises that he does not believe in Christianity, and stops going—provided he does it for honesty’s sake, and not just to annoy his parents—the spirit of Christ is probably nearer to him then, than it ever was before."

I find this to be quite a statement.

[Edited 1/14/2016 10:56:22 AM ]

1/15/2016 8:43:23 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Yes, I have difficulty coming up with my own thoughts on this subject. One big reason is my having to admit that even in Judaism, we see a history of blood shed; conquering and killing. Why? Was it to preserve the writings and history of Judaism for posterity? But then we have the 3rd Reich. God did not appear very kind at all to the Jews there.

I see often that god fearing folks have difficulty organizing their own original thoughts about anything that they find disparaging about their faith. after all, it's not cognitive thinking that allows someone to accept a dogma, it requires faith. refreshing to see your admission here, walt.

It's a copy and paste, but I did find it suitable here, so I am sharing it. From C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity:

"When a young man who has been going to church in a routine way honestly realises that he does not believe in Christianity, and stops going—provided he does it for honesty’s sake, and not just to annoy his parents—the spirit of Christ is probably nearer to him then, than it ever was before."

I find this to be quite a statement.

I can identify. when I realized that what my parents and church elders were feeding me was bullshit and began to think for myself about what i'd been 'taught', and continue to think over the decades, I've come to understand that jesus would be more proud of the fashion in which I've lived my life than most of the Christians I know.

1/15/2016 8:51:14 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,665)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

What is blame ?

Real or not , it gives us comfort .

Comfort from what ?

1/15/2016 10:43:18 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
I can identify. when I realized that what my parents and church elders were feeding me was bullshit and began to think for myself about what i'd been 'taught', and continue to think over the decades, I've come to understand that jesus would be more proud of the fashion in which I've lived my life than most of the Christians I know.

And also a large number of so called Christian churches "shoot their wounded." I have learned they do so, because they refuse to be conscious of their own wounds. A honest, transparent one rocks their boat.

John 9:34-35

"They [the Pharisees] retorted, You were wholly born in sin [from head to foot]; and do you [presume to] teach us? So they cast him out [threw him clear outside the synagogue]. ~ John 9:34

It appears the same thing is happening now, as did then. Where one would expect to find genuine compassion and caring, they don't.

I know. I experienced it first hand.

1/15/2016 11:09:36 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

And also a large number of so called Christian churches "shoot their wounded." I have learned they do so, because they refuse to be conscious of their own wounds. A honest, transparent one rocks their boat.

John 9:34-35

"They [the Pharisees] retorted, You were wholly born in sin [from head to foot]; and do you [presume to] teach us? So they cast him out [threw him clear outside the synagogue]. ~ John 9:34

It appears the same thing is happening now, as did then. Where one would expect to find genuine compassion and caring, they don't.

I know. I experienced it first hand.

when you say, "so called Christian churches," which churches are you referring to? I was raised in two churches, Baptist and Presbyterian, both I would think are mainstream Christian churches, are they not? I hear often about Christian this and Christian that referred to as so called or not really Christian but in this thread that you authored the relevant church is the catholic church. a so called church as you see it or possibly the most adhered to on the planet. it does appear that the same thing is happening now which begs the question, why would any original thinking person even want to call himself Christian, muslim or associate him/herself with any religion?

1/15/2016 4:19:31 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,665)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

We don't have to take more than we need , but we take it anyways , because we create religions , and societies , that tell us that we can take whatever we want , and we never have to feel bad about it .

ITS OWED TO US , WE'RE TOO DAMN GOOD TO BE DENIED .

1/15/2016 6:26:58 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

Stillherehaha
AnchorenaQueensland
Australia
69, joined Jun. 2015

Quote from nonstandard:
We don't have to take more than we need , but we take it anyways , because we create religions , and societies , that tell us that we can take whatever we want , and we never have to feel bad about it .

ITS OWED TO US , WE'RE TOO DAMN GOOD TO BE DENIED .

Is that human insecurity---
the more some have the more secure and safe some people feel like a security blanket?

1/15/2016 9:49:15 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
when you say, "so called Christian churches," which churches are you referring to?

Dysfunctional ones. They can be a so called Christian "denomination," or, for instance, a local congregation with unconsciousness patriarchs and matriarchs who oppose honest, emotional and spiritual transparency. (Remember Jesus words "Blessed are the poor in Spirit.")

Quote from jrbogie1949:
I was raised in two churches, Baptist and Presbyterian, both I would think are mainstream Christian churches, are they not? I hear often about Christian this and Christian that referred to as so called or not really Christian but in this thread that you authored the relevant church is the catholic church. a so called church as you see it or possibly the most adhered to on the planet. it does appear that the same thing is happening now which begs the question, why would any original thinking person even want to call himself Christian, muslim or associate him/herself with any religion?

They would want to call themselves Christian, if they are free of man made institutions, erroneous doctrines, and the control of the local matriarchs and patriarchs I spoke of.

1/15/2016 10:09:31 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from jrbogie1949:
when you say, "so called Christian churches," which churches are you referring to?

Dysfunctional ones. They can be a so called Christian "denomination," or, for instance, a local congregation with unconsciousness patriarchs and matriarchs who oppose honest, emotional and spiritual transparency. (Remember Jesus words "Blessed are the poor in Spirit.")

Quote from jrbogie1949:
I was raised in two churches, Baptist and Presbyterian, both I would think are mainstream Christian churches, are they not? I hear often about Christian this and Christian that referred to as so called or not really Christian but in this thread that you authored the relevant church is the catholic church. a so called church as you see it or possibly the most adhered to on the planet. it does appear that the same thing is happening now which begs the question, why would any original thinking person even want to call himself Christian, muslim or associate him/herself with any religion?

They would want to call themselves Christian, if they are free of man made institutions, erroneous doctrines, and the control of the local matriarchs and patriarchs I spoke of.

you cannot help dodging questions can you, walt? you responded directly to my relating my christian church experiences with your 'so called Christian churches' bullshit so i'll take this response as the Baptist and Presbyterian churches are dysfunctional as you see them.

1/16/2016 9:50:23 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

You have to wonder why an omnipotent god has this many dysfunctional churches ?
Is god dysfunctional ?
Is religion dysfunctional ?
Is the entire religion system SNAFU ?
Any body have any thoughts on the matter?

1/16/2016 10:22:34 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

rufftreasure
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (15,970)
Fairmont, MN
61, joined Jun. 2014
online now!

Humans are dysfunctional.
If there's God/ Goddesses I guess even they can't make humans behave right.
I guess behaving right comes from within.

1/16/2016 10:26:46 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

aphrodisianus
Over 1,000 Posts (1,600)
Leander, TX
66, joined Oct. 2013

The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?

Not a difficult question. The Inquisitions lasted almost 800 years. It's mentality continues to exist. God or religion? Well God doesn't exist so it must be religion. No god can exist without religious thinking processes that are irrational, incoherent, and ignorant. And that is the clue to why the inquisitions happened in the first place.

Any conversation with a religious person almost always reveals some kind of level of sickness in their thinking. This sickness is proportional to their level of religiosity. This is why it's very easy to compare and equate religiosity with mental illness.

Remarkably the parallels between schizophrenia and religion run deeper than the high prevalence of religious delusions in schizophrenia. In fact, the basic cognitive structure of a religious idea seems to be identical to the basic cognitive structure of a psychotic thought.
- Dr Joseph Polimeni

1/16/2016 12:25:59 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
you cannot help dodging questions can you, walt? you responded directly to my relating my christian church experiences with your 'so called Christian churches' bullshit so i'll take this response as the Baptist and Presbyterian churches are dysfunctional as you see them.

I make an attempt to be direct, the best I can with words, which sometimes fail us.

But as for dysfunction with Christian Churches, or even entire Christian denominations to be off the mark, it is to be expected. We know there are some churches that claim to be Christian, but are way off in left field, doctrinally. No need to name names.

As for everyday, run of the mill individual congregations, of course, they have their tares among the wheat, and they both "grow" up together. Until, what Jesus called "the harvest."

1/16/2016 5:42:23 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

I make an attempt to be direct, the best I can with words, which sometimes fail us.

But as for dysfunction with Christian Churches, or even entire Christian denominations to be off the mark, it is to be expected. We know there are some churches that claim to be Christian, but are way off in left field, doctrinally. No need to name names.

As for everyday, run of the mill individual congregations, of course, they have their tares among the wheat, and they both "grow" up together. Until, what Jesus called "the harvest."

you make an attempt to evade. WE know that churches claim to be Christian, but are way off in left field? who's WE? I see that all churches are way off in left field not the least Christian churches who were it not for them we wouldn't have the inquisition to discuss on a dating site.

1/19/2016 7:47:24 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
I see that all churches are way off in left field

And, so then, all we have to go on are the words of Christ, recorded in the Gospels. We do know for a fact that He ran into a lot of resistance from religious people. The "church" of His day, ruled by legalistic Pharisees.

John 4:23 (The Message) ......

"The time is coming—it has, in fact, come—when what you’re called will not matter and where you go to worship will not matter."

[Edited 1/19/2016 7:50:45 PM ]

1/19/2016 8:37:39 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

And what if the gospels are corrupted too? Afterall who wrote them and compiled them ?

1/20/2016 9:41:01 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

And, so then, all we have to go on are the words of Christ, recorded in the Gospels. We do know for a fact that He ran into a lot of resistance from religious people. The "church" of His day, ruled by legalistic Pharisees.

John 4:23 (The Message) ......

"The time is coming—it has, in fact, come—when what you’re called will not matter and where you go to worship will not matter."

no, all you have to go on is the word of Christ. the rest of us read history.

1/20/2016 1:27:15 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from olderthandirt20:
And what if the gospels are corrupted too? Afterall who wrote them and compiled them ?

Well, here we have Luke, telling us that he is writing the book of Luke. What, you assume he is a liar?

Luke 1 (KJV)

1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,

2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

1/20/2016 4:19:35 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  
irishrose0906
Dublin, OH
51, joined Mar. 2013

Humans do cruel things too each other and they may use their religious beliefs to justify it. It doesn't make it God's fault and it doesn't make it right.

A potent scripture that often gets overlooked in the bible is: There is a way that may seem right unto man, but instead will lead to death.

Only by developing your inner connection, will be able too discern.

[Edited 1/20/2016 4:21:54 PM ]

1/20/2016 5:14:17 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Well, here we have Luke, telling us that he is writing the book of Luke. What, you assume he is a liar?

how can anyone know? does it not require faith to believe scripture?

1/20/2016 5:49:52 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

1/31/2016 12:15:04 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
how can anyone know? does it not require faith to believe scripture?

Yes, it does require faith. But yet, from my experience, I have found that the scriptures--especially the words of Jesus--are more than mere words. There is a supernatural power to them.

In the book of John, Jesus makes some rather strange statements about the necessity of eating His flesh and drinking His blood.. But when one reads on further, we find that he was referring not to His flesh and blood, but His words.

"The flesh profits nothing. The words I speak unto you, they are Spirit and they are life."

And this makes sense, for John opens his gospel by writing "The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us."

Apparently, God the Father's Most Precious One, is the Creator. The One who spoke/ speaks things into existence.

I know. It sounds far fetched to a lot of folk, but that is what has been revealed to us.

1/31/2016 12:31:51 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

aphrodisianus
Over 1,000 Posts (1,600)
Leander, TX
66, joined Oct. 2013

Quote from irishrose0906:
Humans do cruel things too each other and they may use their religious beliefs to justify it. It doesn't make it God's fault and it doesn't make it right.

Hyper-religiosity is a mental disorder whether it leads to violence or not. The underlying truth here is that all mental disorder is a kind of violence to the mind. You suffer no less than someone planing a lynch mob. The difference is when you outwardly express your delusions violenty upon others.

2/1/2016 11:49:17 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,665)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from aphrodisianus:
Hyper-religiosity is a mental disorder whether it leads to violence or not. The underlying truth here is that all mental disorder is a kind of violence to the mind. You suffer no less than someone planing a lynch mob. The difference is when you outwardly express your delusions violenty upon others.

There is nothing violent with what she said .

2/9/2016 11:08:30 AM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,665)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from nonstandard:
There is nothing violent with what she said .

Hatred kills , its not a big secret . The secret is that hatred fortifies .

2/12/2016 12:53:36 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from irishrose0906:

I agree quite so with what you wrote here, Irish. It is a fact. Man's inhumanity to man will wind up being in the balance of God, mankind's most grievous sin.

Thank you

2/12/2016 3:23:37 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

olderthandirt20
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

It's a strong possibility

Bart D. Ehrman
Author, 'Forged: Writing in the Name of God—Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are'
Apart from the most rabid fundamentalists among us, nearly everyone admits that the Bible might contain errors -- a faulty creation story here, a historical mistake there, a contradiction or two in some other place. But is it possible that the problem is worse than that -- that the Bible actually contains lies?

Most people wouldn't put it that way, since the Bible is, after all, sacred Scripture for millions on our planet. But good Christian scholars of the Bible, including the top Protestant and Catholic scholars of America, will tell you that the Bible is full of lies, even if they refuse to use the term. And here is the truth: Many of the books of the New Testament were written by people who lied about their identity, claiming to be a famous apostle -- Peter, Paul or James -- knowing full well they were someone else. In modern parlance, that is a lie, and a book written by someone who lies about his identity is a forgery.

Most modern scholars of the Bible shy away from these terms, and for understandable reasons, some having to do with their clientele. Teaching in Christian seminaries, or to largely Christian undergraduate populations, who wants to denigrate the cherished texts of Scripture by calling them forgeries built on lies? And so scholars use a different term for this phenomenon and call such books "pseudepigrapha."

You will find this antiseptic term throughout the writings of modern scholars of the Bible. It's the term used in university classes on the New Testament, and in seminary courses, and in Ph.D. seminars. What the people who use the term do not tell you is that it literally means "writing that is inscribed with a lie."

And that's what such writings are. Whoever wrote the New Testament book of 2 Peter claimed to be Peter. But scholars everywhere -- except for our friends among the fundamentalists -- will tell you that there is no way on God's green earth that Peter wrote the book. Someone else wrote it claiming to be Peter. Scholars may also tell you that it was an acceptable practice in the ancient world for someone to write a book in the name of someone else. But that is where they are wrong. If you look at what ancient people actually said about the practice, you'll see that they invariably called it lying and condemned it as a deceitful practice, even in Christian circles. 2 Peter was finally accepted into the New Testament because the church fathers, centuries later, were convinced that Peter wrote it. But he didn't. Someone else did. And that someone else lied about his identity.

The same is true of many of the letters allegedly written by Paul. Most scholars will tell you that whereas seven of the 13 letters that go under Paul's name are his, the other six are not. Their authors merely claimed to be Paul. In the ancient world, books like that were labeled as pseudoi -- lies.

This may all seem like a bit of antiquarian curiosity, especially for people whose lives don't depend on the Bible or even people of faith for whom biblical matters are a peripheral interest at best. But in fact, it matters sometimes. Whoever wrote the book of 1 Timothy claimed to be Paul. But he was lying about that -- he was someone else living after Paul had died. In his book, the author of 1 Timothy used Paul's name and authority to address a problem that he saw in the church. Women were speaking out, exercising authority and teaching men. That had to stop. The author told women to be silent and submissive, and reminded his readers about what happened the first time a woman was allowed to exercise authority over a man, in that little incident in the garden of Eden. No, the author argued, if women wanted to be saved, they were to have babies (1 Tim. 2:11-15).

Largely on the basis of this passage, the apostle Paul has been branded, by more liberation minded people of recent generations, as one of history's great misogynists. The problem, of course, is that Paul never said any such thing. And why does it matter? Because the passage is still used by church leaders today to oppress and silence women. Why are there no women priests in the Catholic Church? Why are women not allowed to preach in conservative evangelical churches? Why are there churches today that do not allow women even to speak? In no small measure it is because Paul allegedly taught that women had to be silent, submissive and pregnant. Except that the person who taught this was not Paul, but someone lying about his identity so that his readers would think he was Paul.

It may be one of the greatest ironies of the Christian scriptures that some of them insist on truth, while telling a lie. For no author is truth more important than for the "Paul" of Ephesians. He refers to the gospel as "the word of truth" (1:13); he indicates that the "truth is in Jesus"; he tells his readers to "speak the truth" to their neighbors (4:24-25); and he instructs his readers to "fasten the belt of truth around your waist" (6:14). And yet he himself lied about who he was. He was not really Paul.

It appears that some of the New Testament writers, such as the authors of 2 Peter, 1 Timothy and Ephesians, felt they were perfectly justified to lie in order to tell the truth. But we today can at least evaluate their claims and realize just how human, and fallible, they were. They were creatures of their time and place. And so too were their teachings, lies and all.

Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and the New York Times bestselling author of 'Misquoting Jesus' and 'Jesus, Interrupted'. His latest book, 'Forged: Writing in the Name of God -- Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are', is now available from HarperOne.

2/12/2016 3:53:56 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  
cupocheer
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (188,071)
Assumption, IL
67, joined May. 2010

Neither.

Superstition and old wives tales had the men up in arms. But that was their dirty little secret being swept under the rug.

2/12/2016 5:16:22 PM The Inquisitions. Is God, Or Religion To Be Blamed?  

rufftreasure
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (15,970)
Fairmont, MN
61, joined Jun. 2014
online now!

Quote from olderthandirt20:
It's a strong possibility

Bart D. Ehrman
Author, 'Forged: Writing in the Name of God—Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are'
Apart from the most rabid fundamentalists among us, nearly everyone admits that the Bible might contain errors -- a faulty creation story here, a historical mistake there, a contradiction or two in some other place. But is it possible that the problem is worse than that -- that the Bible actually contains lies?

Most people wouldn't put it that way, since the Bible is, after all, sacred Scripture for millions on our planet. But good Christian scholars of the Bible, including the top Protestant and Catholic scholars of America, will tell you that the Bible is full of lies, even if they refuse to use the term. And here is the truth: Many of the books of the New Testament were written by people who lied about their identity, claiming to be a famous apostle -- Peter, Paul or James -- knowing full well they were someone else. In modern parlance, that is a lie, and a book written by someone who lies about his identity is a forgery.

Most modern scholars of the Bible shy away from these terms, and for understandable reasons, some having to do with their clientele. Teaching in Christian seminaries, or to largely Christian undergraduate populations, who wants to denigrate the cherished texts of Scripture by calling them forgeries built on lies? And so scholars use a different term for this phenomenon and call such books "pseudepigrapha."

You will find this antiseptic term throughout the writings of modern scholars of the Bible. It's the term used in university classes on the New Testament, and in seminary courses, and in Ph.D. seminars. What the people who use the term do not tell you is that it literally means "writing that is inscribed with a lie."

And that's what such writings are. Whoever wrote the New Testament book of 2 Peter claimed to be Peter. But scholars everywhere -- except for our friends among the fundamentalists -- will tell you that there is no way on God's green earth that Peter wrote the book. Someone else wrote it claiming to be Peter. Scholars may also tell you that it was an acceptable practice in the ancient world for someone to write a book in the name of someone else. But that is where they are wrong. If you look at what ancient people actually said about the practice, you'll see that they invariably called it lying and condemned it as a deceitful practice, even in Christian circles. 2 Peter was finally accepted into the New Testament because the church fathers, centuries later, were convinced that Peter wrote it. But he didn't. Someone else did. And that someone else lied about his identity.

The same is true of many of the letters allegedly written by Paul. Most scholars will tell you that whereas seven of the 13 letters that go under Paul's name are his, the other six are not. Their authors merely claimed to be Paul. In the ancient world, books like that were labeled as pseudoi -- lies.

This may all seem like a bit of antiquarian curiosity, especially for people whose lives don't depend on the Bible or even people of faith for whom biblical matters are a peripheral interest at best. But in fact, it matters sometimes. Whoever wrote the book of 1 Timothy claimed to be Paul. But he was lying about that -- he was someone else living after Paul had died. In his book, the author of 1 Timothy used Paul's name and authority to address a problem that he saw in the church. Women were speaking out, exercising authority and teaching men. That had to stop. The author told women to be silent and submissive, and reminded his readers about what happened the first time a woman was allowed to exercise authority over a man, in that little incident in the garden of Eden. No, the author argued, if women wanted to be saved, they were to have babies (1 Tim. 2:11-15).

Largely on the basis of this passage, the apostle Paul has been branded, by more liberation minded people of recent generations, as one of history's great misogynists. The problem, of course, is that Paul never said any such thing. And why does it matter? Because the passage is still used by church leaders today to oppress and silence women. Why are there no women priests in the Catholic Church? Why are women not allowed to preach in conservative evangelical churches? Why are there churches today that do not allow women even to speak? In no small measure it is because Paul allegedly taught that women had to be silent, submissive and pregnant. Except that the person who taught this was not Paul, but someone lying about his identity so that his readers would think he was Paul.

It may be one of the greatest ironies of the Christian scriptures that some of them insist on truth, while telling a lie. For no author is truth more important than for the "Paul" of Ephesians. He refers to the gospel as "the word of truth" (1:13); he indicates that the "truth is in Jesus"; he tells his readers to "speak the truth" to their neighbors (4:24-25); and he instructs his readers to "fasten the belt of truth around your waist" (6:14). And yet he himself lied about who he was. He was not really Paul.

It appears that some of the New Testament writers, such as the authors of 2 Peter, 1 Timothy and Ephesians, felt they were perfectly justified to lie in order to tell the truth. But we today can at least evaluate their claims and realize just how human, and fallible, they were. They were creatures of their time and place. And so too were their teachings, lies and all.

Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and the New York Times bestselling author of 'Misquoting Jesus' and 'Jesus, Interrupted'. His latest book, 'Forged: Writing in the Name of God -- Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are', is now available from HarperOne.

As you know , Olderthandirt, I read that when we lived in Booneville.
Many of Bart's book, I have in fact, read.
I am inclined to agree with all the notions he presents in " Forged"