Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

fayetteville hookups

The app integrates seamlessly with social networking platforms such as Facebook, Spotify, and Instagram, allowing users to showcase many elements of their character. single women in savannah ga I didn t actually have an understanding of why till becoming a FYG myself. four percent boost from 2019. reddit tinder sex Meet Positives is a mobile friendly internet site that permits you to match with persons primarily based on several STIs such as herpes, hepatitis, and HIV.

privatedelight hookup

My female good friends thought it was incredibly romantic but also, they told me that I d far better be sure you had been worth it. meet single lesbians free Make sure you do not use any aspect of your true name, or any other personally identifiable such as birthdates even birth years. I just want to say that i have also heard that if a relationship doesnt get started off suitable and in a haram way then you cant get the blessing of Allah swt. kazakh dating app Fargo Couple Meets On Dating App, Gets Engaged And Then Are Diagnosed With Cancer, Collectively

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Groups

Page: 1, 2, 3
9/25/2008 7:02:54 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

21jim
Methuen, MA

I have two c*cker spaniels one male one female the female sits on the seat and loves to look out the window, the male attempts to look out the window and I think he starts to get car sick he spends most of his time laying his head on my lap or looking down at the floor and he seems to be quite content.Your dog may be like my male spaniel,try to keep him from looking out the window maybe thats why he wants to stay on the floor. Maybee if someone could pat him and hold on to his collar so he can't look out the window he would calm down.

9/25/2008 7:20:16 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

55mm
Comstock Park, MI

try luring him in with treats.

9/25/2008 8:19:24 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

justacountrygal
Maspeth, NY

I have read many good suggestions here... the doors open and treats, building up the time spent in the car without engine running, then with engine running, etc in small steps is one that Ceasar Milan used successfully on the Dog Whisperer. I also know that the less of a deal you make of it, the less stress he will feel.

My guy likes to curl up in the floorboard on the passenger side of the backseat.... he settles down and goes to sleep as soon as I pull off the block. When we get near our destination, he starts to get up and pace in the back seat, all excited.... lol

Good Luck, and feel free to email me if you have any questions.

9/25/2008 9:45:35 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

craftygirl002
Tacoma, WA

Countrygal summarized the previous posts very well.

The poor dog was probably only taken to the vet and the shelter in the car previous to coming to live with you. Dogs learn by association, so you have to replace negative associations with positive ones. The previous posts give great suggestions for overcoming any negative associations the dog may have with the car itself, but not the destination. Your dog may very well think it's the car's fault he had to go the the vet and the shelter.

If possible, you might identify a nearby coffee drive-through that gives dogs treats. Once your dog is able to be in the car long enough to go to the coffee shop, you can begin a Saturday (or Sunday) morning coffee run routine with him. After he begins looking forward to that, you might add on another leg to the trip where you go to the pet store after getting coffee. If your budget allows, most pet stores sell fairly inexpensive dog toys in bins. You can let him choose one. (I just take my dog to the toy aisle and tell him to 'pick one'. All the toys down at his level are usually fairly inexpensive.) When the coffee shop and pet store trip is comfortable, you might periodically add a trip to the park, beach, or some other fun place as the last leg of the trip .

9/25/2008 10:09:07 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

barbarajt
Rochester, NY

my dog doesnt mind music, lol, if i even open the door to grab something out of the car he just jumps in like lets go lol

9/26/2008 12:16:53 AM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

honeypoo123
Eastpointe, MI

Craftygirl,the idea about a treat at the pet store is good...
I have a pet store not far,,,,,,,Thanks everyone for all your help

9/26/2008 7:07:34 AM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

nickiename
Las Cruces, NM

Quote from whitehawk:
Unless its necessary to travel with him, for as traumatized as he seems to be,I would leave him at home.Some suggestions here,, of coax him in the car when its sitting to get him used to it,,is a good idea.. When a dog is that afraid.. the more you force him to do this the more you enforce the fear.. there is a reason in his past of why he is so afraid.If you got him at the pound you don't know what his history is.He could of been beaten severely when he was in the car,he could of been thrown out and injured.something tramatic has happened to him to cause him to react this way.If I had the dog I would not force him.Dogs are as subject to emotions as we are,and they can have long memories.

There could also be no real basis for the fear at all.

Dogs have 2 fear imprinting stages (one at around 8 - 10 weeks old and another 6 - 14 months) where they try to work out what they should be afraid of. They'll suddenly be startled and upset by even the most innocuous things and then look to their owner (or mom, liter mates, and pack) to see if they should actually be afraid of something.

If someone just let Honeypoo's Lab not get in the car when he balked, or worse, coddled him and gave him tons of attention (reinforcing and rewarding the fearful behavior) that's all it could have been.

I don't think the dog's behavior should dictate whether or not Honeypoo is able to take him places with her. Even if he has suffer some sort of trauma related to a car, it can be worked through or managed so that he can still be involved in more aspects of his owner's life which is more beneficial to both parties.

Gradually getting him used to the car, then short trips working up to longer ones, and using a travel crate all seem sensible suggestions to me.

[Edited 9/26/2008 7:14:38 AM]

9/26/2008 1:26:40 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

whitehawk
Eugene, OR

Quote from nickiename:
There could also be no real basis for the fear at all.

Dogs have 2 fear imprinting stages (one at around 8 - 10 weeks old and another 6 - 14 months) where they try to work out what they should be afraid of. They'll suddenly be startled and upset by even the most innocuous things and then look to their owner (or mom, liter mates, and pack) to see if they should actually be afraid of something.

If someone just let Honeypoo's Lab not get in the car when he balked, or worse, coddled him and gave him tons of attention (reinforcing and rewarding the fearful behavior) that's all it could have been.

I don't think the dog's behavior should dictate whether or not Honeypoo is able to take him places with her. Even if he has suffer some sort of trauma related to a car, it can be worked through or managed so that he can still be involved in more aspects of his owner's life which is more beneficial to both parties.

Gradually getting him used to the car, then short trips working up to longer ones, and usinga travel crate all seem sensible suggestions to me.

By doing just such as you have mentioned..wouldn't that then be satifying the owners whims and wishes and not the dog's? humans are very very selfish and we want what we want and we want it now- syndrome. I am agaisnt any form of animal abuse,whether it be.. physical or mental or emotional.. if an animal is that afraid.. why keep perpetuating its fear?

[Edited 9/26/2008 1:27:27 PM]

9/26/2008 3:10:52 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

honeypoo123
Eastpointe, MI

I agree with u whitehawk and I am not going to take him in the car
except when I HAVE to take him to the vet....I just thought he would
might enjoy a ride in the car but if it scares him (why do it?)

9/26/2008 3:13:24 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

nickiename
Las Cruces, NM

Quote from whitehawk:
By doing just such as you have mentioned..wouldn't that then be satifying the owners whims and wishes and not the dog's? humans are very very selfish and we want what we want and we want it now- syndrome. I am agaisnt any form of animal abuse,whether it be.. physical or mental or emotional.. if an animal is that afraid.. why keep perpetuating its fear?

I don't see it that way because I don't anthropomorphize (attribute human characteristics to) dogs or other animals. And it wouldn't be perpetuating the fear it would be working through it and overcoming it by desensitizing the dog to the situation it unnecessarily fears.

Here's the logical way I see it. Dogs do things chiefly to benefit themselves (a "what's in it for me?" mentality if you need to see it in human terms). They will get in the car if there is a benefit or reward for them (praise, treats, play). Whatever the reason for the negative association with the car, there is nothing to say a positive association can't be built in it's place.

Looking at the bigger picture, being with their owner benefits a dog in the form of companionship, as they are not generally solitary creatures. If they are able to make a journey in the car which allows them to spend more time with their owner I simply cannot see that as animal abuse, exactly the opposite actually.

9/26/2008 5:54:04 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

whitehawk
Eugene, OR

Thats good thinking Honeypoo.. yeah..to go to the vet won't be any fun,,but thats one he has to do..in the meanwhile.. My horse was very inbred,, He was a Tennessee walker out of Go-Boy. the lineage in walkers can get very close.. and by this they can get a gene that can make them a bit schitzo. He would jump at a leaf blowing on the ground. I spent over 7 months just walking him to get him used to things. He had been thru a trainer,who hated him. I was, and still into, my native ways when it comes to training animals.. Alot of patience.I spent a long time making sure he was reassured,He became a one man horse to the day he died and he was 33 yrs old when he did. Animals have to develope trust with one..That trust takes time and alot of work on behalf of the human. When an animal is really afraid,it takes time and understanding to help them get over their fear. When the human acts non chalant about situations,,the animal picks up those vibes and thus it becomes a stress reliever for them because you arent reacting,, you are in neutral mode. One day ur dog will jump in the car and won't be afraid anymore. 3 months is still a short time.He still is getting used to you and probably, you to him..For his age..he has already developed memories and we have no way of knowing what those memories are,,whether they were good or bad. So look at it this way.. this is the 1st day in a relationship that you work hard to develope, love and trust will come with time. I am glad you decided to not keep traumatizing him..

9/26/2008 6:02:09 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

whitehawk
Eugene, OR

Quote from nickiename:
I don't see it that way because I don't anthropomorphize (attribute human characteristics to) dogs or other animals. And it wouldn't be perpetuating the fear it would be working through it and overcoming it by desensitizing the dog to the situation it unnecessarily fears.

Here's the logical way I see it. Dogs do things chiefly to benefit themselves (a "what's in it for me?" mentality if you need to see it in human terms). They will get in the car if there is a benefit or reward for them (praise, treats, play). Whatever the reason for the negative association with the car, there is nothing to say a positive association can't be built in it's place.

Looking at the bigger picture, being with their owner benefits a dog in the form of companionship, as they are not generally solitary creatures. If they are able to make a journey in the car which allows them to spend more time with their owner I simply cannot see that as animal abuse, exactly the opposite actually.

I would disagree with you 100%.Dogs are opportunistic ,,no doubt,but a dog does not see it in such black and white terms as you have described. A dog will accompany you if he loves you and trust you..if the dog does not have that trust and love.. the dog is not going to JUMP in the car to benefit itself. the animal abuse would be if the owner keeps forcing an animal that is so terrified, to jump in the car and go for a ride.My chi has been in a BIG TRUCK since he was 7 weeks old.. he has been all over this country time and time again..he really didn't have a choice. he grew up on the road. It was scary for him the 1st week.. but the people who had him..my partner and myself had alot of patience and love to bestow upon him..now he is one spoilt chihuahua..but thats our fault...lol.. My dog was not raised with (treats) my dog responded to love,and firmness..MOM'S the pack leader in our group///lol So I would have to disagree with you that dogs are in it to benefits themselves.

[Edited 9/26/2008 6:03:20 PM]

9/26/2008 7:07:41 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

nickiename
Las Cruces, NM

I did not mention treats exclusively, I also mentioned praise and playing, both huge motivators for a dog and things that help create the bond you're referring to. I can see how you feel that way though, our pets become such a part of our lives, it can be extremely difficult not to assign human characteristics to them.

I'm just going by what I've learned through my dog training course and the experience I've had working with abused and neglected dogs at the shelter here.

But what do I know really? It's just another opinion from me and we all know what they say about those.

[Edited 9/26/2008 7:08:00 PM]

9/26/2008 7:17:54 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

drumrman
Belmont, MA

dogs, like ppl, need to learn to overcome their fear. if you give in to the dog's fear, the animal's self confidence will never grow.

besides, let's face it, they're dogs. they lick themselves, and eat their own poop!

9/26/2008 7:25:11 PM Dog is afraid to ride in the car  

nickiename
Las Cruces, NM

Way to keep things in perspective there Drum!

Page: 1, 2, 3