Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

hookup sites free no sign up

Dating internet sites can suffer security breaches, just like any service, so use very good password practices and do not re use login info you ve tied to other accounts. personals eastern nc They may also share your info with third parties. This might also enable create a more precise sense of another s dating intentions. is safedatingprovider com legitimate She s not going to study it, and you do not want to appear like you re trying also hard to impress her.

skipthegames sex

The pandemic has forced Dawn Burnett to come across new ways to express her personality though dating. nanaimo singles events Oftentimes family members pets bring back terrific memories and it ll give you an thought if they envision a future with a furry pal or not. No one wants to ruin the chances of having together with somebody they like. what does keep phone awake mean on grindr He suggests not drawing out the pre face to face meeting for too lengthy.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

4/24/2009 12:17:44 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,043)
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

Almost everyone has heard of a do not resuscitate (DNR) order; it's the order for healthcare providers not to perform CPR on a victim of cardiac arrest.

I went and renewed my drivers license the other day and the lady who gave me the eye test and made the new card noticed that I have a DNR on my license. She commented about it saying that it is the first time she has seen one on a drivers license and that she thought most people were afraid to make that decision instead of the doctors.

I figure it is my choice and would never want to place my family in the position have having to make it if I were unable. And I damn sure wouldn't want to be plugged into a machine for 5 years in a state of no life either.

What are your thoughts? Would you prefer to wait and let your family or the medical team make the decision?

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

4/24/2009 12:24:30 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
xxxlibra75xxx
Over 1,000 Posts (1,219)
Gateway, AR
41, joined Mar. 2009

I'd much rather carry a DNR order around with me than be a veggie.
I'd wouldn't wanna put anyone thru that, to tell ya the truth.

4/24/2009 12:28:06 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
chinatown_girl
Over 7,500 Posts!! (9,857)
Oyster Bay, NY
28, joined May. 2007

as a premed student who wants every opportunity to save lives, i would prefer to see the family along with qualified medical advisors make the decision on DNR. my dad is a doc and we've had discussions on this. he's seen so many people make full recoveries when the original prognosis was grim. on the other hand he's seen spouses sign DNR while the rest of the family insists that was not the patients wish.

its a tough call.

resuscitation doesn't guarantee vegetation. it often means a long slow crawl back to health.

[Edited 4/24/2009 12:51:01 PM ]

4/24/2009 12:29:00 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
gapeach7777
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,724)
Ball Ground, GA
45, joined Sep. 2007

I don't see that on my license or even remembering them asking me if I wanted that. All mine says is that I am an organ donor.

If I were in that situation I would not want the doctor to resuscitate. I would not want to put my boys through that. When God calls me home there is nothing anyone can do unless it is His will.

4/24/2009 12:35:15 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
nissanbaby
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,918)
Corsicana, TX
54, joined Feb. 2009

it's my choice! i want that on my liscense as my family doesn't need the hardship of making that decision. i'm brain dead enough aliveand putting stress on my family is NOT what they need. if i'm dead, i'm dead!!! leave me alone and let me rest in piecethats peace

4/24/2009 12:43:01 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

In some states the patient doesn't have the option to request DNR in advance, it must be placed in the persons medical file by a doctor and then only if there is a high risk.

It really is a topic that is hard to decide 100% on either way. I mean CPR is about the first option for EMT and Paramedics in the field, and a DNR eliminates that procedure for them.
But in Washington it goes further and they can't transfer blood or hook a patient up to any sustaining machine, which is my primary concerns. Why save my life only to discover that I contract AIDS or some other nasty deadly disease from contaminated blood or lay as a vegetable for months or years hooked up to a machine?

It usually isn't an option that is suggested or is even on the forms, you usually have to request a DNR form when you renew your ID or license.

4/24/2009 12:47:28 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

qsart
Franklin, NC
54, joined Apr. 2009

Death is only frightening if you have never died before....been there,done that,got a tee-shirt,....cant wait to go back....not scary like you would think...matter of fact I was surprised how much our conciseness/thought process/awareness is the same there as here.....

4/24/2009 12:50:36 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
gapeach7777
Ball Ground, GA
45, joined Sep. 2007

Quote from qsart:
Death is only frightening if you have never died before....been there,done that,got a tee-shirt,....cant wait to go back....not scary like you would think...matter of fact I was surprised how much our conciseness/thought process/awareness is the same there as here.....

Would you elaborate on that? I'm curious about the experience you had.

4/24/2009 12:56:37 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

Peaches you have mail...

4/24/2009 12:58:50 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
stlstella
Saint Louis, MO
59, joined Feb. 2009

There are different levels...

Dad was DNR for years, then got an illness where he could survive it with a breathing tube. I over rode it, he lived happily a few more years.

Mom had a stroke...we chose to withhold water. That was hard...but didn't matter to her.

Know your loved ones wishes, let them know yours and follow your heart.

Each situation is different... I wouldn't sign a blanket approval, like for organ donors on my license.

4/24/2009 1:06:06 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
gapeach7777
Ball Ground, GA
45, joined Sep. 2007

Quote from stlstella:
There are different levels...

Dad was DNR for years, then got an illness where he could survive it with a breathing tube. I over rode it, he lived happily a few more years.

Mom had a stroke...we chose to withhold water. That was hard...but didn't matter to her.

Know your loved ones wishes, let them know yours and follow your heart.

Each situation is different... I wouldn't sign a blanket approval, like for organ donors on my license.

I don't know what I would do in that situation. I guess I need to ask my mom and dad what they want. I'm very close to my dad and when his time comes I hope it is painless. He will always be the strongest, smartest man on the planet to me and to see him lying in bed brain dead or whatever would kill me. Is that selfish of me? I've always said I hope I die before my dad and my grandmother (his mother). When they go you will have to dig a hole beside them because I'll be the next. I love those two people with every fiber of my being and cannot imagine my life without them.

4/24/2009 1:15:40 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
stlstella
Saint Louis, MO
59, joined Feb. 2009

It's very difficult.

4/24/2009 1:21:00 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
xxxlibra75xxx
Over 1,000 Posts (1,219)
Gateway, AR
41, joined Mar. 2009

Stella!

4/24/2009 1:24:25 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

Quote from gapeach7777:
I don't know what I would do in that situation. I guess I need to ask my mom and dad what they want. I'm very close to my dad and when his time comes I hope it is painless. He will always be the strongest, smartest man on the planet to me and to see him lying in bed brain dead or whatever would kill me. Is that selfish of me? I've always said I hope I die before my dad and my grandmother (his mother). When they go you will have to dig a hole beside them because I'll be the next. I love those two people with every fiber of my being and cannot imagine my life without them.

I understand what you mean about your dad. But you are a parent too aren't you? A parent should never have to bury their children. I will bet you that if you have the discussion with your dad or grandmother they will both tell you that they want you to live long and happy after they go.
After all it is the love we have for people that is really the life and soul.

4/24/2009 1:46:13 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

wsprs0nthewind
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (25,296)
Powell, TN
52, joined Mar. 2009

I'd have to know what the guidelines for DNR were. If I had a chance to live then yes do it, if not then no.

4/24/2009 2:07:25 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
missa2966
Mandeville, LA
51, joined Apr. 2008

DNR means
NO CPR - no cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
It doesn't include your living will wishes.
Choosing life support or not is not the same.
You can choose to be a FULL CODE but not have support measures implemented.EI: artificial ventilator,dialysis or full flow heart pumping IV meds-
big difference in all of this.
Please be FULLY informed of the difference between
DNR
and a
Living will

4/24/2009 2:22:13 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

In WA, DNR encompasses resuscitation (CPR) and pretty much any procedure beyond, unless stipulated either in your medical file or a living will. In other words if you stop breathing or your heart stops they can do nothing to resuscitate you.

However there is another option here which is "Natural Death" (ND) which is mostly applied by some religions. ND completely prevents any medical procedure to sustain life.

[Edited 4/24/2009 2:25:28 PM ]

4/24/2009 8:06:09 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
ohiohoney1
Over 2,000 Posts (2,054)
Wooster, OH
56, joined Sep. 2008

I have a DNR order and a no life support order and also a durable medical power of attorney....I learned the hard way that these things are a must....jmo...but I think everyone should have their butts covered when it comes to these things

4/24/2009 10:15:34 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
luv2bum
Milwaukee, WI
51, joined Feb. 2009

As I was a medic on the ambulance....Unless I had a DNR order in paper form signed by a physician...I was to save the patient. I never heard of it on a license, and in Wisconsin would not have used that as a legal document. I have worked in the ER for 11 years and never heard of it either...not here.

4/24/2009 10:47:48 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
ladyofmagic
Birmingham, AL
38, joined Dec. 2008

Quote from stress_test:
Almost everyone has heard of a do not resuscitate (DNR) order; it's the order for healthcare providers not to perform CPR on a victim of cardiac arrest.

I went and renewed my drivers license the other day and the lady who gave me the eye test and made the new card noticed that I have a DNR on my license. She commented about it saying that it is the first time she has seen one on a drivers license and that she thought most people were afraid to make that decision instead of the doctors.

I figure it is my choice and would never want to place my family in the position have having to make it if I were unable. And I damn sure wouldn't want to be plugged into a machine for 5 years in a state of no life either.

What are your thoughts? Would you prefer to wait and let your family or the medical team make the decision?

I've thought ALOT about this subject because my health is crap..I don't have one of those cards but my family knows that if I get so far down like I was before(I've almost died twice) to just let me go..I don't think it's fair to force a person to "live" that way or force anyone to have to see them/take care of them in that state.

4/24/2009 10:53:51 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
zipperlynn
Over 2,000 Posts (2,157)
Porterville, CA
46, joined Jan. 2009

I know I should read all this thread, but, I can't help but put my two cents in here... again.

DNR does equal Do Not Resuscitate, but the important part is that is the only thing they do not do. Everything else will be done... dialysis, chemotherapy, vancomycin (with all it's side effects), surgeries, blood transfusions (that other's could be receiving), ICU care...

Comfort Measures Only, or palliative care only means give me morphine and absolutely nothing else - no blood draws even - just let me sleep and die.

4/24/2009 11:03:58 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

lonestone
Ukiah, CA
62, joined Aug. 2008

I wish to endorse what Missy said. One should not sign a DNR order without being fully informed about the implications of this document. Read up on "living wills" and "durable powers of attorney".
There are circumstances under which a persons heart can stop without there being any serious cardiovascular desease. Doctors generally do not recommend DNR orders unless a person is very elderly, has seriously impaired cardiovascular function, and/or when the patient has a grave or terminal illness which has already seriously reduced the quality of a persons life.

4/25/2009 5:27:26 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

Quote from zipperlynn:
I know I should read all this thread, but, I can't help but put my two cents in here... again.

DNR does equal Do Not Resuscitate, but the important part is that is the only thing they do not do. Everything else will be done... dialysis, chemotherapy, vancomycin (with all it's side effects), surgeries, blood transfusions (that other's could be receiving), ICU care...

Comfort Measures Only, or palliative care only means give me morphine and absolutely nothing else - no blood draws even - just let me sleep and die.

Actually the DNR originated in Florida and was elaborated upon in California. Washington adopted California's laws which stipulates that nothing beyond or more medically involving than CPR can be done by medical personnel including an IV...

Basically it is natural death, no deviations...

4/25/2009 5:38:41 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stress_test
Airway Heights, WA
52, joined Sep. 2008

Quote from lonestone:
I wish to endorse what Missy said. One should not sign a DNR order without being fully informed about the implications of this document. Read up on "living wills" and "durable powers of attorney".
There are circumstances under which a persons heart can stop without there being any serious cardiovascular desease. Doctors generally do not recommend DNR orders unless a person is very elderly, has seriously impaired cardiovascular function, and/or when the patient has a grave or terminal illness which has already seriously reduced the quality of a persons life.

A DPA (durable powers of attorney) basically signs over you life to somebody else... Well I don't know about you but MY LIFE is mine and my responsibility alone. I'll be damned before I give the choice of life or death to somebody who might get my estate.

Hell no doctors don't recommend DNR orders... How do you think they make a living? All those poor people with tubes shoved up their noses (and other places) have insurance which pays a healthy monthly dividend to the doctor...

I signed a DNR and an OD (organ donor), sure use my organs to save lives, but dont make the doctors rich off of my heart, kidney's or testicles. Dead or alive...

4/25/2009 5:56:44 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

stormygrl
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (28,938)
Denver, CO
50, joined Aug. 2007

Quote from xxxlibra75xxx:
I'd much rather carry a DNR order around with me than be a veggie.
I'd wouldn't wanna put anyone thru that, to tell ya the truth.

4/25/2009 7:57:51 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
firebird1971
Over 1,000 Posts (1,168)
Gainesville, FL
52, joined Mar. 2009

Its you re choice bro ... And I am going to make it mine also . And if the religious right had there way you wouldnt even have the choice ! I am sickof people trying to tell others how to live in this country . Stay out of my life !

4/25/2009 7:22:51 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

luvinlifetou2
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,441)
Biddeford, ME
50, joined Jun. 2008

DNR and DNI are two very different things.....

Try watching what happens when you don't have a living will and your family cant give you up, or give up on you. And can you blame them? Noooo.

Imagine being paralyzed by the waist down, unable to communicate except by blinking your eyes for yes or no.

You have a trach (a tube in your throat so you can breathe)...and a tube that goes into your stomach to feed you. You cant have any fluids by mouth, because you have no way to cough if it goes into your lungs, and you will get "aspiration" pnemonia. (you aspirate fluids into your lungs< basically,means it went down the wrong pipe. for you and me? no big deal. for my pts? HUGE deal...) Your lips are dry and cracked all the time, and if you are lucky, well, you have good nurses and cna's who do what they are supposed to, and clean your mouth out and swab it out for you with a wet swab, once a shift. think about that, once a shift is once every 8 hours. And thats the good ones, because lets be real, you have 3 cna's and 2 nurses for 48 pt's, and guess what? If not? You can go 24 hours without any moisture touching your mouth.

You have to clean up the ones who were incontinent before you worry about brushing someones teeth, and then you have the man drowning in his own mucus because he coughed it out of his trach, so gee, which takes priority?

It is ABC for nurses, airway, breathing and circulation first. Then you can worry about comfort. So I guess I will suction pt A's trach, then go deal with pt B's seizure, then before you know it, the shift is over.

I pull my cna's in and have them do mouth care at the beginning of every shift, EVERY day...because that is torture. But that? Is just me.

it is a living hell if you are in there and not brain damaged. ever want to be there, and as a RN? All I can do is try and make sure they are comfortable......but it is heartbreaking sometimes. Sometimes these pts turn around and start getting better.
Sometimes.

So........................

DNR and DNI are NOT just about convenience, its about making your voice heard while you can still speak.

It is about not letting someone who loves you make the choices for you. Sometimes love is clueless...

I deal with it on a daily basis.

If not? You can go 24 hours without any moisture touching your mouth.

We wont even talk about the itch on your nose that you can't reach......!

JMO

[Edited 4/25/2009 7:30:02 PM ]

4/25/2009 7:33:34 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
mate4uheart
Walhalla, SC
64, joined Jan. 2009

It's an individual call. I think it's being very thoughtful of you not placing that
burden on your loved ones, if that ever happens.

4/25/2009 8:43:38 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
alicekathleen
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,605)
Sacramento, CA
71, joined May. 2008

No heroic measures. No cat scans, mri's, or other high cost diagnostics. No CPR, no code blue. Then, cremation
and ashes scattered, hopefully, in Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens.

4/25/2009 8:49:19 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
nyguitar77
Over 1,000 Posts (1,318)
Dumfries, VA
39, joined Nov. 2008

I have it in my will that they will pull the plug on me if it means living as a vegetable forever. What's the point of living if you can't do anything?

4/26/2009 11:47:40 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
spider_man5
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,310)
Westfield, MA
52, joined Aug. 2008

its a way for family to steal your money too if you have it its happened to me on two wills and trust funds also id theft has happened to me too......DNR also means no autotopsy either.....

4/26/2009 11:49:11 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

122750again
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,136)
Sioux Falls, SD
66, joined Dec. 2008

Quote from stress_test:

I agree with you Ken. My choice to make, Nobody Elses

4/26/2009 11:59:05 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
layla22
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (66,610)
Boulder, CO
97, joined Jun. 2008

it is tragic when someone who has said repeatedly for THIRTY YEARS (and INCLUDING

right up to his last conscious, mentally capable moments) "i don't want to be a

vegetable" and "i just want to die when my time comes, don't put me through all those

things to keep me alive, please don't" ---------and things like that, is kept alive for

an extended period, suffering.

especially when it's by various artificial means and the person is helplessly

suffering through constant medical tests and procedures for a long period of time.

4/28/2009 3:06:31 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
yourfriendbob
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,396)
Fayette, OH
62, joined Oct. 2008

Laws and standards seem to differ from state to state, but in our little corner they are.....

DNR....Do Not Resuscitate....allow the patient to die

DNRCC...Do Not Resuscitate Comfort Care...provide for the patient's comfort when dying, such as pain medication. Nothing deemed by their physician to prolong life though.

DNRCCA...Do Not Resuscitate Comfort Care Arrest....provide ALL care up to the point where the patient's heart stops functioning. This can include intubation for breathing unless specifically declined by the patient or their representative.

Living Will...Spells out the patient's wishes regarding end of life care.

Durable Power of Attorney For Healthcare...Names representatives the patient wishes to make "end of life care" decisions for them, should they be incapacitated or otherwise unable to do so for themselves. This can specify the patient's wishes including specific things they DO or DON'T want done.

A DNR in our hospital is not left to die alone and uncared for, and every death in less than 24 hours from admission is an automatic coroner call. Quite the opposite, we spend a large piece of time with the patient ensuring that they are as comfortable as we can make them, even when pain meds are not requested. Being DNR does NOT mean you will be murdered for spare parts, or to settle an estate. It means that your heart will NOT be kept beating when it stops.

In the few years I have worked as a nurse, I have come up with a partial solution to the healthcare crisis:

When you turn 50 and AARP sends you your membership packet, they should include a big coupon for free Zoloft, the paperwork and instructions to fill out for DNR, and a short videotape or DVD showing what it looks like to be resuscitated. It is a brutal procedure that most times only buys enough time for your loved ones to visit and say goodbye.

5/1/2009 5:08:07 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
layla22
Boulder, CO
97, joined Jun. 2008

bob, don't kid yourself.

don't ever open the can of worms that health care is, including hospitals, doctors, lawyers, nurses and family members......and the motivations/behavior of any or all of them.

you will find the smelliest, dirtiest, most selfish, manipulative and dishonest behavior imaginable.

this becomes heartbreakingly clear when the longstanding, oft-said AND WRITTEN DIRECTIVES are tossed out the window to serve the interests of those cited above-----not those of the dying person.

quote: "who are these kids following me around and calling me "mom?"

[Edited 5/1/2009 5:09:22 PM ]

5/1/2009 7:56:48 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
yourfriendbob
Fayette, OH
62, joined Oct. 2008

Quote from layla22:
bob, don't kid yourself.

don't ever open the can of worms that health care is, including hospitals, doctors, lawyers, nurses and family members......and the motivations/behavior of any or all of them.

you will find the smelliest, dirtiest, most selfish, manipulative and dishonest behavior imaginable.

this becomes heartbreakingly clear when the longstanding, oft-said AND WRITTEN DIRECTIVES are tossed out the window to serve the interests of those cited above-----not those of the dying person.

quote: "who are these kids following me around and calling me "mom?"

I'm a nurse. Sooooo......I guess that makes me one of the worms. Currently I work in orthopedics and med/surg in a small hospital. Previously I worked the majority of my hours in ER for a couple years. Have also done time in telemetry, ICU, and even a couple shifts in Peds. In only a handful years I've seen a great number of people die. I've assisted with more codes than I care to remember, and have performed CPR during many of them. I've seen 97 year old terminal patients have feeding tubes inserted through their abdomen at their family's request. I've seen 34 year old patients in a permanent vegetative state since their teens, who are full codes despite the fact that it would be nearly impossible to save them, simply because their families couldn't deal with the inevitable. I've seen families that believed their loved one was going to get up and go home to care for themselves, even though all bodily functions had ceased except for a pulse and the occasional breath.

I cannot speak for any facility but the ones I've worked at. But, I have never seen a living will, or durable power of attorney for healthcare or Do Not Resucitate order ignored for any reason. I have seen self serving family members who screamed and cursed at staff members if their relative was not allowed to die, even though they were a full code. I used to be related to an air traffic controller, and he perhaps had the only profession in which a life threatening incident was examined any closer than that of someone in medicine. Charting before and after a death is looked at with a fine tooth comb for anyone who's name appears upon it. It is beyond my imagining what possible gain any staff member would reap from the unnecessary death of another human being. That is not why we are in medicne, and it is not what we believe.

In my short time as a nurse, and as someone who has lost most of his loved ones, I believe I have learned a couple things.
1.We are all going to die.
2.Most of us will die in a medical facility.
3.A certain number of grieving people will feel that the medical facility failed them in some way in an effort to find a logical reason why their mom, or dad, or sibling, or spouse has been taken from them.
4.The staff humbly apologizes that we cannot change numbers 1-3. It hurts us too.

5/1/2009 10:59:47 PM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  

beverduster
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (56,969)
La Feria, TX
52, joined Apr. 2008

way to tell it bob

5/2/2009 12:26:12 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
layla22
Boulder, CO
97, joined Jun. 2008

Quote from yourfriendbob:
I'm a nurse. Sooooo......I guess that makes me one of the worms. Currently I work in orthopedics and med/surg in a small hospital. Previously I worked the majority of my hours in ER for a couple years. Have also done time in telemetry, ICU, and even a couple shifts in Peds. In only a handful years I've seen a great number of people die. I've assisted with more codes than I care to remember, and have performed CPR during many of them. I've seen 97 year old terminal patients have feeding tubes inserted through their abdomen at their family's request. I've seen 34 year old patients in a permanent vegetative state since their teens, who are full codes despite the fact that it would be nearly impossible to save them, simply because their families couldn't deal with the inevitable. I've seen families that believed their loved one was going to get up and go home to care for themselves, even though all bodily functions had ceased except for a pulse and the occasional breath.

I cannot speak for any facility but the ones I've worked at. But, I have never seen a living will, or durable power of attorney for healthcare or Do Not Resucitate order ignored for any reason. I have seen self serving family members who screamed and cursed at staff members if their relative was not allowed to die, even though they were a full code. I used to be related to an air traffic controller, and he perhaps had the only profession in which a life threatening incident was examined any closer than that of someone in medicine. Charting before and after a death is looked at with a fine tooth comb for anyone who's name appears upon it. It is beyond my imagining what possible gain any staff member would reap from the unnecessary death of another human being. That is not why we are in medicne, and it is not what we believe.

In my short time as a nurse, and as someone who has lost most of his loved ones, I believe I have learned a couple things.
1.We are all going to die.
2.Most of us will die in a medical facility.
3.A certain number of grieving people will feel that the medical facility failed them in some way in an effort to find a logical reason why their mom, or dad, or sibling, or spouse has been taken from them.
4.The staff humbly apologizes that we cannot change numbers 1-3. It hurts us too.

-----------------------

i could fill this page with rolling on the floor laughing icons (and some hard case facts) and it would not even begin to cover the naivete (a few years in nursing, you say?).....OR.....the suck-up, career ladder-climbing insouciance of that remark.

and NOT violate HIPPA in any way.......

if i wanted to violate HIPPA, i could write a book.....let's not even go into the enormity of the numbers of patients/families involved.

5/2/2009 2:55:18 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
yourfriendbob
Fayette, OH
62, joined Oct. 2008

Quote from layla22:
-----------------------

i could fill this page with rolling on the floor laughing icons (and some hard case facts) and it would not even begin to cover the naivete (a few years in nursing, you say?).....OR.....the suck-up, career ladder-climbing insouciance of that remark.

if i wanted to violate HIPPA, i could write a book.....let's not even go into the enormity of the numbers of patients/families involved.

Tell you what. Rather than engage in vague innuendo and referring to me as a career ladder-climbing suck-up, why don't you just state your facts.

--Tell us a bit about your medical credentials

--Tell us whether you believe or don't believe that medical personel are either killing patients or keeping them alive against their will

--And explain to those of us burdened by a more rational thought process, exactly what profit medical staff members derive from such action

These are general enough questions that no HIPPA laws would be violated. You allude to some broad based knowledge of the medical system in your comments while I only claim to be a nurse.
So educate me.
I'm open to listening to anyone who has something I may learn from. It's obvious that you have experienced some personal tragedy while dealing with the medical system. You need to make sure that your pain isn't clouding your judgement and causing you to make unsupportable claims. If the medical system couldn't help you, maybe the mental health system might be able to.

[Edited 5/2/2009 2:56:20 AM ]

5/2/2009 8:10:56 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
layla22
Boulder, CO
97, joined Jun. 2008

bob, your thinking process and truly stupid, kneejerk, blindly defensive response is EXACTLY what i knew was coming from a non-professional "tinhorn " RN.

got into nursing at 52 then?

another non-professional only accepted into the field due to the desperate "if you have an IQ, you can become a nurse" dynamice in american nursing schools today.

buh-bye and have a great life, as i won't be responding further .......i'd have to charge you for further tutoring, counselling and treatment...........

[Edited 5/2/2009 8:16:11 AM ]

5/2/2009 9:29:08 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
yourfriendbob
Fayette, OH
62, joined Oct. 2008

Quote from layla22:
bob, your thinking process and truly stupid, kneejerk, blindly defensive response is EXACTLY what i knew was coming from a non-professional "tinhorn " RN.

got into nursing at 52 then?

another non-professional only accepted into the field due to the desperate "if you have an IQ, you can become a nurse" dynamice in american nursing schools today.

buh-bye and have a great life, as i won't be responding further .......i'd have to charge you for further tutoring, counselling and treatment...........

Hey, if you don't know the answers you freakin wacko, just say so...
I guess you got into it back before they needed the IQ...

"Tutoring"?...You have as little value to offer me as you had to offer the profession.

"Counselling"?...Get some, quick! Your delusional babble is pretty scary. What's the matter sweetie, did the medical establishment conspire to torture or kill the last person who would talk to you? Get some help with that grief, ok?...

"Treatment"?...If this is an example of your thought process, I hope to God that you WEREN'T in medicine. Those poor patients...

Why don't you just admit that you hate the way the profession has turned out. That you hate that men have a place in it. That you hate that along with your equality came competition, and you couldn't cut it. That it was alot more fun in the old days when you could advance yourself simply by working "under" the right doctor.

I only wish I HAD gotten into it sooner. Someday nursing will be a great career for a man.

When it's not run by bitter, post-menopausal women with a redwood sized chip on their shoulder and a truckload of self-esteem issues....

5/2/2009 9:34:44 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
cinthianna01
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,936)
Goshen, IN
97, joined Mar. 2009

Wow Layla,...

That's not what I read in his post at all...

5/2/2009 10:32:04 AM Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)  
klassyklown
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,104)
Bakersfield, CA
48, joined Feb. 2007

Quote from layla22:
-----------------------

Wow, your posts lead me to believe that you too are or have been a member of the medical profession. Since Bob is a friend of mine, I have an idea of the kind of nurse he is, and the level of professionalism he holds himself to, and I just really hope that if I do wind up in a hospital, that I have someone like Bob by my side, rather than someone like you.

You know, many people provide services like health care and they are ignorantly attacked by the general public, people who have no clue about their hearts or motivations. Being a teacher, I have been down that path. But let me say this, when the clueless unwarranted bullshit comes from someone from within the field, you really have to not only be afraid, but totally understand where the hell the general public gets their warped perceptions.