Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

reliable hookup sites

He arrived into the bar in his running gear, saw me and then proceeded to walk appropriate past me to the bathrooms with out so significantly as a nod. singles in gainesville With no potential to indulge in physical activity, partners and love interests have no decision but to definitely communicate their desires, Max mentioned. But with it, comes a assure, of embarrassing, awkward, and downright weird encounters. prostitutes in hoi an I thought that would be the end of our conversations, but just about every once in a while I miss him so considerably, so I speak to him again.

rubmaps

Take into consideration arranging your personal ride to and from the date to give your self far more freedom on when you share your dwelling address with your date. free chat line numbers in savannah ga We watched as she got into the automobile, but the car or truck didn t move. Start going out about men and women extra in the Neighborhood that don t work . dating apps in poland As a outcome, EliteSingles is basically in a position to meet expectation and hopes for on the net dating.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Groups

1/18/2008 9:44:08 PM The most common definition of "The American Dream"  

michael061
Arlington, VA

Strat,

You said, "I think this thread was about the American Dream which very few had realized until people like Teddy Roosevelt got sick of seeing robber barons taking advantage of working people."

I have to disagree. When our forefathers crossed the Plains, they wanted nothing but a chance to farm the land. There was no hand out. (other than the government giving them land that the government did not really control. These folks were happy just to have the opportunity to farm the land. Until fairly recently, (after WWII), there were very few overweight people. It was very difficult to farm enough food to feed the nation. Even so, people poured into this country because an opportunity to succeed was enough to fulfill their dream.

Others have mentioned that they had difficult times. I agree that if you had health problems, things for you might have been tough. Even so, I still say that very few of us were adults during the depression. (That was the last time in our history when times were really hard for a large portion of the population.)

Think about the movie "West Side Story". What did the Puerto Ricans call America? "Land of opportunity"! Opportunity was the dream. As to helping those in need, we can, and should help those who can not take care of themselves. However, some thought should be given to making sure the taxpayers money is not wasted or stolen.

Michael

1/18/2008 10:46:24 PM The most common definition of "The American Dream"  

farmersamm
Cushing, OK

The "American Dream" is as varied as the people living within our borders.

Ask anyone on the street and you will get a different version. One of the best chroniclers(sp?) of the "Dream" was Studs Terkel.

To inject one's own political view into the definition is lame at best. It fails to give credance to what made this country great. Diversity. Most people came here to escape the straight jacket that European custom, and thinking, imposed on their lives.

What of the drug dealer that comes from Bogata? He hopes to make it to the top of his "profession". Ah, the land of oppurtunity! Not a dream that your, or I, share-----------but.....

Don't get caught up in what the guy on the pulpit says on Sunday, or the candidate says on the 30 sec. spot. The "American Dream" is what the individual makes it.

I dream of tall grass, and calves with round little bellies. Probably not your dream, but just as valid.

Want conformity? Go somewher else. America, Love it or Leave It.

1/18/2008 11:03:52 PM The most common definition of "The American Dream"  

whalemstr
Corning, CA

freedom

1/18/2008 11:12:46 PM The most common definition of "The American Dream"  

lotus3
Venice, FL

When I hear the words "The American Dream"..I think of my Paternal Grandfather, who made the decision to leave his native country and move to "The United States of America"..that is what he always called this country. He came here with only a few possesions..but through hard work and living very simply...he bought a home, opened his barbershop in the front..and worked in the shop until he was in his mid seventies. He and my grandmother would not speak their native language in front of their children, because they wanted to learn english..they wanted nothing more then to be good citizens of this country. When Grandpa spoke of this country..which was often..his eyes shown with pride and love. I remember when I was a junior in highschool(68/69).. Mom and Dad, brought my grandparents to my highschool...so they could see me cheerlead at the basketball game. During the National Anthem..I could here a lot of snickering, laughing, and the words..."Look at that stupid old man", coming from the student body behind me..and across the basketball court...stood my Grandfather with his hand over his heart, his eyes focused on the American Flag..erect, proud, and so very thankful...to be living the American Dream.

1/19/2008 8:54:55 AM The most common definition of "The American Dream"  

ks51
Santa Rosa, CA

Lotus; Nice post.

Freedom and opportunity, yep that about sums it up for me. I would add "minimum government interference". That one always gets me side tracked...and on a soapbox. The Feds have far too much....see what I mean? lol Ok...

Sug; Interesting you see it as full circle. In our family it's more of breaking cycles and each generation becoming a little bit stronger, wiser and more educated. (notice however I did not say "richer". Dang it all. )

Michael; You've been far too quiet, for far too long. Thanks for the interesting thread.

Page: 1, 2