Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

megapersonals com login

If each parties swipe right, you are a match, meaning you can start interacting with them. single women in toronto If you do, then I d say it could be worth at least attempting on line dating. To start off viewing messages, select the forum that you want to go to from the selection under. apk mirror bumble You require to get comfortable inside your own head ahead of you consider about initiating spousal replacement therapy.

mega presonals

Hold your recommended topics easy as two minutes is not a lot of time for each people to respond. mujeres latinas en mesa az The platform permits ghosters and players to run rampant. I hope that this tends to make sense at least in the tiniest way. adultlook fremont No representation is created that the high quality of the legal solutions to be performed is higher than the high quality of legal solutions performed by other lawyers.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

the size of the air conditioner makes a difference it may be only a 5000 BTU then 85 is not bad .the more BTU's it puts out the more it cools.

6/17/2010 3:40:10 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (11,038)
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Not sure if this is the best place to ask or in the tech forum, but I figured most tech forum people are interested in other things than these and maybe general public would know more about this type thing (due to more people in this forum).

When a self defrosting freezer is in the defrosting process how warm should the freezer get? Mine has eben getting literally to probably room temperature and I'm unsure if that's normal or if that's dangerous. I sure would have thought it would only get up to refridgerator type temperatures, but it definitely gets well above the fridge temp.

Hopefully nothing's wrong because the maintenance people here have eben rude and they would probably just come over when it's not defrosting and say "seems fine to me" and think that solved the problem just as they think they solved the squirrel in the atic problem because it left for now and they didn't fix the hole it got in through.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

6/17/2010 3:49:31 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

Quote from latestflame:
Not sure if this is the best place to ask or in the tech forum, but I figured most tech forum people are interested in other things than these and maybe general public would know more about this type thing (due to more people in this forum).

When a self defrosting freezer is in the defrosting process how warm should the freezer get? Mine has eben getting literally to probably room temperature and I'm unsure if that's normal or if that's dangerous. I sure would have thought it would only get up to refridgerator type temperatures, but it definitely gets well above the fridge temp.

Hopefully nothing's wrong because the maintenance people here have eben rude and they would probably just come over when it's not defrosting and say "seems fine to me" and think that solved the problem just as they think they solved the squirrel in the atic problem because it left for now and they didn't fix the hole it got in through.

Not so warm that things are getting soft to touch, that's for sure.
You need a refrigerator thermometer to keep an eye on both the freezer and the refrigerator part.
The air that cools the fridge department comes from the freezer. If the freezer is getting as warm as you describe, your perishables may not be safe to eat. Your freezer should maintain no higher than 32 degrees, preferably closer to 20 degrees.

The refrigerator section should never get warmer than 40 degrees.

[Edited 6/17/2010 3:50:07 PM ]

6/17/2010 3:51:24 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
the_knee_grow
Over 2,000 Posts (3,926)
Houston, TX
50, joined Mar. 2010

Aye that doesn't sound right....Maybe leaking freon.

6/17/2010 3:56:53 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

well it's been doing it all 4 months I've lived here. I thought it wasn't right the first day so i told them and didn't even stay here yet. They said they would check it and leave a note. I got back and no note was here. Who knows if they ever even really checked it. I'm tired of dealing with these rude people and I was going to tell them to cut out the rudeness, but I like this area so I hate to give them a reason to not renew a lease in case I ened to stay here. But they're not ficing anything quickly then they talk to me ina condescending manner if I say somethign needs to be fixed or if I ask the status of a request.

I'll probably have to tell them about it, but like I said they'll show up when it's working properly.

6/17/2010 3:58:27 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
the_knee_grow
Over 2,000 Posts (3,926)
Houston, TX
50, joined Mar. 2010

If it works sometimes might be the compressor...though I'm no expert on fridges....just eating their contents.

6/17/2010 4:00:29 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
jennyann71
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,349)
Clarksville, AR
76, joined Apr. 2009

Does not sound right and I would call a repair man.

6/17/2010 4:02:22 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

You must spend a few dollars and get a refrigerator thermometer. They're small with metal frames. Shoot, put any thermometer you have in there, if you can't buy one.
That's the only way to know if your food's safe to eat.
Well, that and if your puking your guts out in the ER.

My fridge has been on the blink for a few months, and I can't afford to get it looked at. I'm keeping the stuff from the refrigerator section in a large thick-foam cooler, with several 2 liter ice bottles. Thankfully I have a seperate chest freezer.

6/17/2010 4:06:10 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

It's possible to trouble-shoot appliance problems on line if you know the make and model.
Doesn't mean you can fix it yourself.
I do want to suggest you find out where your compressor fan is located, in the back, and make sure it is turning freely when you hear the compressor hum. Otherwise you are in danger of overheat and fire.

6/17/2010 4:08:29 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

My parents probably have an extra thermometer or I can go buy one, but all it will be doing is confirming what I already know. I've put my hand in there when the apartment temp was 70+ and it did not feel any cooler than the apartment air. I then reached down and put my hand in the refridgerator section and it felt as cool as normal and much cooler than the freezer.

knee_grow, the reason it sometimes feels cold and sometimes not is because it auto defrosts. But I wasn't sure how warm it's supposed to get during a defrost cycle. but I sure don't think it's normal to get this warm.

6/17/2010 4:13:35 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

Don't go by how it feels on your hand! Have you poked the freezer food to see if it's gotten soft? That should never happen.

And do you understand the most important thing is for you to take control of your own food safety? Do not rely on landlords or maintenance people to keep you safe.

6/17/2010 4:33:11 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,613)
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

Okay---think about this for a minute.
You've got people telling you to never let your freezer temp. be above 32 degrees...well I've got news for people...ice forms at 32 degrees, so how is it going to defrost if it doesn't get above that temperature.

You say it's been doing this for 4 months right? Have you died yet from food poisoning?...if not then you're probably okay.

Just to make sure, call a refrigeration repairman and I'm sure he'll answer your question...or go to this link http://www.411homerepair.com/do-it-yourself/appliance-repair/refrigerator-repair.php and you can email them if you need to for your answer.

6/17/2010 4:42:15 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Thanks I just emailed that site since I'm not able to call someone at this moment. I actually did find that site myself when searching earlier, by the way, but didn't think to email them.

And yes I know I haven't had food poisoning, but maybe most of what I eat is precooked. I'm not sure. I eat a lot of frozen meals and I'm not even sure if they're precooked honestly. I'm sure most of them are. And defrosters only do their thing for 30 minutes or less, so that would excplain why it may not be bad enough to cause food poisoning, but may still not be such a great thign regardless.

The food is looer at times than others, yes. Not totally thawed out, but for instance yesterday I ate some ice cream things (little things called dibs) and some of them had the ice cream melted in them. Sometimes the frozen meal boxes feel solid and sometimes they don't. (tye actual packahing is softer than normal).

6/17/2010 4:43:36 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

Quote from here4play:
Okay---think about this for a minute.
You've got people telling you to never let your freezer temp. be above 32 degrees...well I've got news for people...ice forms at 32 degrees, so how is it going to defrost if it doesn't get above that temperature.

You say it's been doing this for 4 months right? Have you died yet from food poisoning?...if not then you're probably okay.

Just to make sure, call a refrigeration repairman and I'm sure he'll answer your question...or go to this link http://www.411homerepair.com/do-it-yourself/appliance-repair/refrigerator-repair.php and you can email them if you need to for your answer.

Ah, never mind. I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about.

6/17/2010 4:54:37 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

The mechanism on a refrigerator involves letting the cooling element heat up for a short period, melting any frost that has formed upon it and having it drain through a collecting duct at the back of the unit.

Inside the freezer, dry air is circulated around the cabinet using fans.
Instead of the traditional cooling elements assembled within the freezer liner, auto-defrost elements are compact and separated from the main cabinet space, allowing them to be heated for short periods to dispose of any ice that has formed.

6/17/2010 5:29:33 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

julymorning--->I wasn't saying that you were totally wrong...the temperatures you mentioned were absolutely correct for when the unit is not defrosting, but when it is defrosting they don't apply.

latestflame--->You've probably already seen this during your research but I'll post it anyway:
The mechanism on a refrigerator involves letting the cooling element heat up for a short period, melting any frost that has formed upon it...

Inside the freezer, dry air is circulated around the cabinet using fans

Instead of the traditional cooling elements assembled within the freezer liner, auto-defrost elements are compact and separated from the main cabinet space, allowing them to be heated for short periods to dispose of any ice that has formed.
As you can see from this, automatic defrosters work by adding heat...so naturally your freezer compartment will heat up.
The reason I suggest you contact a repairman is because it's possible the mechanism is heating too much...but that's nothing to panic over.
The reason some things will get softer than others during this process is because they simply weren't frozen as solid as the others to begin with.

You most likely do not need to worry about a freon leak, or your compressor, because you only said this happens during the defrost cycle.

If you're wondering what makes me think I know so much about it...well, that comes from 10 years of maintenance work at a mobile home park I used to live at.

Too slow

[Edited 6/17/2010 5:30:15 PM ]

6/17/2010 5:34:52 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Yes I saw that and new it added heat. It's just tough to know if it's too much heat. My parents have one that self defrosts and they haven't noticed it doing it before so i tend to suspect it's heating too much. I'm sure if I died from something in this place theapartment peoplew ould claim how great they were with their maintenance. The lady got MAD AT ME for checking on the status of a maintenance request which was months old. They've known for months a hole is in the atic which animals can get in through. Then some people say I should put in writing all of this and others say don't push it unless I want to find a new place to live when the elase runs out. Sigh.

6/17/2010 5:39:52 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

Alright, I'll try one more time.

Flame, do you have ice cube trays in your freezer? Does the ice in them ever start to melt? Even a little? Heck, your ice cream shouldn't even get soft. If so, you got a problem.

And actually I was 20 degrees too warm on the correct freezer temp. Should be slightly below zero.

6/17/2010 5:55:57 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

The ice cube test is what I basically did all of these months and the ice cubes are much smaller now.

6/17/2010 6:07:58 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

Most things that do not have high sugar content are frozen solid at about 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Ice Cream needs to be below about 5 degrees to be solid.

The Air Temperature Is Not Always the Food Temperature

The air temperature can increase because of door openings, but the food should be able to maintain temperature. Defrost cycles can significantly increase the air temperature also.
If the air can not circulate freely in the box, there may be warm spots. For example, putting a baking sheet on a shelf in a reach-in blocks the air flow and the food below the sheet may not freeze solid.

The FDA allows four to six hours for food put in the freezer to be cooled to the proper freezer temperature. Most freezers are designed to maintain the temperature of cold food. Too much warm food can increase the box temperature and even cause other food to warm.

6/17/2010 6:12:51 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
julymorning07
Over 2,000 Posts (2,238)
Saint James, MO
65, joined Sep. 2007

LOL, ice cubes actually evaporate down if they are in the freezer too long. Like in a week. Those suckers will shrink to nothing if the tray doesn't get refilled ever few weeks.

6/17/2010 6:13:56 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

Quote from latestflame:
The ice cube test is what I basically did all of these months and the ice cubes are much smaller now.

Okay---you didn't mention this before...you only indicated that this happened during the defrost cycle.
This is the reason maintenance people get so upset with tenants...tenants expect the maintenance people to be able to read their minds.

6/17/2010 6:22:56 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Well now both of you are posting conflicting posts. Yours is saying it could mean a problem and hers is saying they evaporate already anyway.

And I don't care why the maintenance people get frustrated because it's still their job to have things working and not be rude to me asking them to come fix something. This lady freakin acted annoyed I called to ask why I had a note on the door syaing theyw ere spraying for bugs when I asked not to spray for bugs that week. Instead of her politely answering that legit question she acted like I was an idiot to not know they supposedly "always" put them on the doors even if they arent spraying. How stupid can you get? I'm sure they do't purposely put a note sayign heyw ere spraying if they're not really spraying. These people have issues.

edit: also thuis DOES only happen during the defrost cycle as far as I can tell.

[Edited 6/17/2010 6:23:28 PM ]

6/17/2010 7:40:03 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

flame--->
I misunderstood what you were saying about the ice cube test.
She had asked if the ice cubes melted sometimes other than during defrost, and I thought you were saying yes.

By the way---I agree that maintenance people should still be responsive and polite to others as long as the others try to be polite to them.
I can't even remember though the amount of times I had to explain to people that the reason their units felt warm was because they had too much food in them.
(some of them would go so far as calling, and having to pay for a repairman on their own, only to be told the same thing I had already told them for free)

The good part of all this though is that once you get a response to your email you will have something to go on if you contact your maintenance people and they try to give you a run-around.

6/17/2010 7:45:03 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Well as far as too much food I've always been told by my parents not to put too many thigns in a freezer and pile it up. However when I was searching abut my issue today I actually found information stating that you SHOULD put a lot in your freezer because it's easier to cool the air if most of the air is taken up with objects in there. Or in otehr words there's less air to cool.

So like everything else in life people tell a million different things which seem to conflict. Hard to ever know what's true. S study will say a vegetable is great for yuo then the next day another study says it can give you cancer.

edit: by the way the ice has never felt melted to me. I dont even recall it feeling melted when the freezer is warm. It's just smaller than it used to be.

But sometimes those frozen meals are evry obviously not solid as much as normal and so when I cook them the directed amoutn of time they won't taste as good sometimes compared with others.

[Edited 6/17/2010 7:46:06 PM ]

6/17/2010 9:07:50 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

As far as the seeming contradiction concerning too much food/not enough food, the thing is this...you don't want so much food that it blocks the air flow (that air flow is what cools your food).
So you see, it is true that a full freezer would have less air to cool...but that presents the problem that you don't have that air flow available to cool your food (which wouldn't matter as much when the food is already frozen solid).
When I talk about people having too much food in the freezer I'm talking about situations like where they just stuffed a whole month's worth of groceries for a family of 4 into a freezer that's not designed to hold that much.
Usually to store that much food you need a separate chest type freezer as opposed to a refrigerator/freezer combo.

Plus you also have to consider that the temperature outside of the freezer will also affect the temperature inside it.
My unit went out on me this past February, so I set it outside and my food stayed good for over a week and a half before I felt the need to cook everything that was left (and then that still stayed good for another week...I didn't lose a single bite of my food).
Of course that doesn't help you too much, but I just threw it in to make the point that if I had left it in my warmer kitchen the food would have spoiled within a few days.

6/17/2010 9:45:15 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
shallowdad
Wayne, NJ
61, joined Oct. 2009

Dose the light go out when you close the door?

6/18/2010 11:13:32 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

I got a thermmeter. I wonder what the "ideal" temp is? I know not over 40, but anyway. Also I looked at the settings and both the refridgerator and freezer are set to be cooler than the factory default, but not at the coolest. So i could lower it more, but I think I'm going to discover that the tempss are fine when NOT defrosting.

6/18/2010 11:55:40 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

See if you can get the refrigerator to go between 35 and 40.
Try for around 0 to 5 for the freezer.
You're going to have to leave the thermometer in there at least overnight, preferably 24 hours for the most accurate reading.

And remember...you can actually do more harm than good by setting it too cold, because then you could cause the unit to completely freeze up.
So for now just leave the settings where they are until you see what the temperature actually is...then you can adjust as necessary.

6/19/2010 12:05:45 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

The thermometer marks what is good temperature as far as the refridgerator goes. But anyway when I put it in there it was on 60 or 70 (because i just took it out of the packaging). I've had it in there for about an hour and a half and it's right now at 34 or 35. It's right on the minimum of the little area that says it's ideal temperature.

So for the refridgerator it didn't take long to get it down to the range. I'm trying to balance having it in one part of the unit long enough with also catching the freezer when at defrost where I can see what it is then hopefully.

But see defrosting is only supposed to last 30 minutes so how can i really be 100% sure what the temp is? I can't keep it in there 24 hours to measure a temp that only takes place 30 mins at a time.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the fridge and freezer are plenty cold enough. My only doubt comes when it's defrosting. I knew without getting this that it's fine when not defrosting.

Maybe when I want to test the defrost temp i should have the thermometer in the refridgerator part to keep it around 35 and then move it immediately to the freezer during defrost where the tem won't have tomove much to tell me the real temp in the freezer. If it has to go from 0 to defrost temp it's further to move and likely not enough time to get to the real temp.

6/19/2010 12:06:46 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

By the way a freakin frozen meal I ate a couple of in the past month has had all of them recalled regardless of date it was manufactured. lol Fun fun news to add to my food concerns.

6/19/2010 12:26:30 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

When I said leave it in there a long time like that...that's just when you first put it in.
After it's been in there it will adjust pretty much the same as the actual temperature does.

6/19/2010 12:27:49 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

ok well for now I put it in the freezer. It already got down in the normal range for refridgerator and I knew the refridgerator was fine anyway because the milk is always nice and cold yet not having ice in it.

6/19/2010 1:05:31 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

Yeah---I don't know how often your unit defrosts itself, but just leave the thermometer in there for a day or two and keep checking on it occasionally...especially if you know it's defrosting.
By the way...did you get an answer to your email from that site?

6/19/2010 1:15:21 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

No they didn't email me.

And check this out. I had the thermometer in the freezer for elss than an hour and it went lower than -10. That can't POSSIBLY be right. It syas to put it near the center. i did have it in the center horizontally and depth-wise, but I ahd it near the top and so it was enar where the air blows in there from. Hopefully thatw as what was throwing it off because surely it's not down near -20 in there.

I did notice though that EVERY thermometer at the store had its packaging loose as if maybe they were all returned.

6/19/2010 2:21:23 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
jonas35
Over 7,500 Posts!! (9,979)
Dahlonega, GA
43, joined Oct. 2008

Hey dummy you might want to check the flux capacitor.

6/19/2010 2:43:54 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

snobirdok
Mulberry, AR
56, joined Nov. 2008

I have a self defrosting freezer and it's always cold, it must be broke. I'll think I'll call the repair man and tell him my freezer is freezing everything and doesn't warm it up every once in a while. While I'm at it I'll tell him the flame on my burners is hotter than hell!

6/19/2010 5:03:54 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

jonas, if I do then trust me I'll be glad to letr you time travel on out of here.

Anyway for sane people's information the temperature keeps stayign at like -12 in the freezer. So I assume that thermometer is broken or soemthing odd is going on. I don't think they ever get that cold without something being up. Nothing ever seems more frozen than from other freezers though. Microwaving frozen emals as directed gets them done perfectly and whatnot.

6/19/2010 5:32:56 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

They can go that low flame...but usually around 0 degrees is plenty cold.
Most food will freeze solid at around 20...the only reason for it to be lower is because high sugar content foods like ice-cream need to be about 5 degrees to freeze solid.

It's going to use a little extra electricity (not much though) to keep it as cold as yours is...but you might want to leave it that way until you see how warm it actually gets in there during defrost.

6/19/2010 6:01:45 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

yeah hopefully I'll ntoice soon when it's defrosting and figure this all out.

Does it really matter if it's say 40 when defrosting? That would still be safe i assume, but would possibly make it more likely to thaw depending on how long it's defrosting?

6/19/2010 8:51:42 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

wearp1
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (81,793)
Steinbach, MB
54, joined Jan. 2008

Quote from latestflame:

It shouldn't go down that far sounds more like the compressor is on it way out to me.

6/19/2010 4:26:01 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Well now when I caught it defrosting I didn't see the temp go over 40. But the freezer did not feel as warm as I've caught it feeling before. So my guess is sometimes it's working and sometimes it isn't.

Also it was defrosting at 4 PM today and yesterday it was defrosting at 8 PM. These are supposed to defrost every 6-8 hours I think so it shouldn't have times 4 hours apart on given days like that, I don't think.

Apparently I'm going to have to catch it when it's warm again or I'll have nothing of even personal proof that it's done it. And honestly I only recall opening it and it being really warm maybe 4 or 5 times in almost 5 months. So either it's rarely happening or I'm rarely noticing it.

6/20/2010 1:41:40 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

If the air is not blowing in the freezer does that automatically mean it's defrosting? Because if so then it's defrosting WAY too often. The air was not blowing and the temperature was around 40 at 4 PM, 15 at 10 PM, and now 15 at 1 AM. So there were only 3 hours between those last two! Then the air started blowing out again and it will soon be -12 again.

None of these times did it feel as warm as what I have described at the beginning of this topic. So I know the times I felt it being warm it was 50+ because I could not feel any coolness at all then and with it at 40 I still can.

This is beyond annoying because these rude people will just come in here and say "hmm it seems really cold to me" while it's not defrosting and they will then consider it fine just as they still think they solved my animal problem because it left the atic despite the hole still being there. very smart. When I mention they never fix anything they then come back at me that they fixed my animal problem. lol And by the way let's say they did fix it... it took them 3 months to so-called fix it and still leave the hole there.

edit: this is annoying trying to keep track of. Now the air was blowing in it for maybe 30 minutes and getting cold and now once again it's not blowing and it's around 0. So the temperature keeps going all over the place when the air isn't blowing. When it has eben blowing it's always around -12.

[Edited 6/20/2010 2:00:20 AM ]

6/20/2010 2:00:19 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
jonas35
Dahlonega, GA
43, joined Oct. 2008

Were you able to produce the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity?

6/20/2010 2:00:52 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

No. Too busy trying to figure out this dumb thing to be worrying with time travel.

6/20/2010 2:53:41 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

Try this:
Find the make, and model number of your unit; then go to the manufacturers web-site and see if they have an online users manual.
That manual should tell you for sure how often it's supposed to defrost.
If it's defrosting more often than it should, you're timer may be bad.
(if you're real lucky you may even find an online troubleshooting and repair manual for your unit.)

6/20/2010 2:56:27 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

ok i finally proved it. For at least 15 or 20 minutes the freezer temperature was 62 degrees. So if nothing else I proved I'm not far off in estimating temperatures without a thermometer. I may have guessed 70, but I knew it wasn't no 40 when this happens.

Also the refridgerator seemed to be the same as the freezer. I wasn't able to totally confirm it because I only got one thermometer and I was more concerned with the freezer at this point and was being sure it wasn't malfunctioning up there.

So in barely over 24 hours I have a pretty good picture painted of this situation. When it's cold it's -12. Every few hours something happens to raise it to about 15. Then every who knows how long it gets all the way up to 60+.

Earlier today when I said it was 40 I bet it was just coming down from an earlier 60 then too. I would kind of doubt it's normal to raise all the way to 60 on a daily or tri-daily basis! And I'm tempted to put in the maintenance request that this has happened the whole time I've been here and that I told them about it (with less details) almost 5 months ago. But then they'll just get mad as usual. I think it's also pathetic that some people tell me I should accept how I'm being talked to by them though, as if I should be intimidated. I'm requesting maintenance 100 times per day if it's needed. Those people aren't going to keep me from filing these things. And if they keep talking rudely I'm finally going to flat have to tell them it's not acceptable.

[Edited 6/20/2010 3:00:21 AM ]

6/21/2010 12:34:29 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Amazing how hard it is to find the normal temps for this online. But pretty obviously it wouldn't say THIS high is ok.

6/21/2010 12:47:33 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
topdownweather
Cranbury, NJ
70, joined Nov. 2007

Flame, A lot depends upon the make and model number but the type in rentals tend to be less sophisticated so here's how they work. Some defrost on a time cycle, others on a temperature cycle. Regardless of the type when the timer/temperature sensor determines that it's time to defrost both the fan and the compressor turn off, then a heating element in contact with the refrigerant line in the freezer turns on to melt the ice. If everything is working fine a temperature sensor also in contact with the line opens when the temperature goes a few degrees above freezing, this also tells the timer that it's ok to start the compressor and fan. Unfortunately the sensor can stick in the closed position and you get more heat than is necessary to just melt the ice and the freezer continues to heat up; fortunately the timer has an override and the system goes back into cooling mode until the next defrost cycle. Therefore the most likely cause of your problem is a temperature switch that is stuck in the closed position. A less likely scenario is that the timer contacts for the defrost cycle are also stuck in the closed position; this is a double whammy because now the defrost heater runs all the time (which may be causing the high energy bills you complained about in another thread). I've replaced a couple of those thermostatic switches, they're only a few bucks, but you have to be willing to disassemble the plastic trim in the freezer compartment. Of course this is a job for the landlord but good luck getting him to repair the problem since you're the one paying for the electricity and potentially ruined food!!!

6/21/2010 2:21:08 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

It takes 100 years to get the temperature down in the apartment is likely a lot of the energy bill issue (as in their AC units are not very good) and I also use my computer and tv more than double the average person (including when not using them I have them on lol). But I still think it's too high compared to others even still so who nows that could be the case.

As far as the food, I sure hope I don't have any issue from that. They better watch out if I do because they were told about this long ago and did not even tell me if they fixed it (before I moved in).

Somehow I've gone 5 months without having food poisoning thoguh. Someone told me earlier it may very well be that the food didn't have much bad bacteria in it to begin with so I got lucky or that I happen to be heating it thoroughly enough to avoid it. But all I know is I am going to be not so happy if I do have any issue come up from this whole thing.

Since I've gone this long I'm waiting until Tuesday to report it. I'm going somewhere that day and I don't want them barging in before I get enough sleep so I'mw aiting until I'm about to leave before submitting it and then hopefully they happen to look into it while I'm gone tues or wednes.

Since they don't know how to comprehend that everything is not imagined by me, I'm going to have to tlak to them like babies in my request and let them know that if they come in here and it's cold THAT DOES NOT mean it's working properly because it only happens during defrosting. Seriously I can just see them saying there's no problem. They do that crap all the time or try to pretend something is my fault. Oh yeah I figured they may claim I have been keeping the door open. That would be something I wouldn't be shocked about. When their bug spray didn't work and I sprayed myself they claimed my bug spray may have "overriden" theirs and keep the bugs from dying. lol

6/21/2010 2:22:14 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Oh and by the way I got the model number last night and the company's website had no exact matchign model number of that sort and all the results seemed to be totally different freezers. Searched on search engines and didn't find much either.

6/21/2010 2:56:56 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  

here4play
Atmore, AL
58, joined Jan. 2010

Quote from latestflame:
Oh and by the way I got the model number last night and the company's website had no exact matchign model number of that sort and all the results seemed to be totally different freezers. Searched on search engines and didn't find much either.

Okay---don't worry about that anymore, because topdownweather basically verified why I was telling you to check for it.
I didn't think about the temperature sensor because I never had to replace one of those, but I have had to replace the timers before...pre-made housing manufacturers and apartment complexes usually use the cheapest appliances they can find, and you only get what you pay for.

Tell your maintenance man that you want him to especially check the temperature sensor, and the defrost timer. (lie if you have to and tell him you contacted the manufacturer and they said to check those)
Even a half way decent maintenance man should have a meter to check those with.

6/21/2010 3:16:30 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully it will get taken care of. I would go ahead and get it started today, but since I'm sleeping weird hours I don't want to risk these people waking me up and me feeling crappy for a concert I'm going to. lol

Well I didn't know if he would be able to do anything or if they call someone else out for this type thing. The guy sometimes seems like he knows what he's doing, but he's made short-sighted decisions where a problem is only temporarily solved. Hopefully indeed he can do this because if he can do it then it's likely to be checked in 1 day after I report it. If they need someone else to then it would take forever knowing how slow they are.

This is a GE freezer by the way and my dad said they're usually a cheap brand as far as appliances go. in fact everything in here is GE prety much.

I sure hope this is the last thing needing maintenance for a while. So far it's been live squirrel, dead squirrel, live squirrel, broken blinds, screwed up screens on windows, bugs numerous times, this freezer issue, air conditioner sucks but I guess working properly, and... I forget what else.

At least nothing major other than this current issue (potentially) and smelling that squirrel probably wasn't so healthy. But anyway I'm tired of having to contact them constantly since they're rude at times.

6/21/2010 7:45:37 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
jonas35
Dahlonega, GA
43, joined Oct. 2008

How stupid of me, I should have told you to check the all spark to.

6/23/2010 8:54:42 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

While I wasn't heare they came in. They apparently ignored everythying in my written request. I said make sure the storm door closes properly and is locked and they didn't close it all the way. ia sked that they please leave me a note confirming they fixed it. They left me nothing. I read the report online and it said it was resolved and the only comment was "changed freezer settings". Yeah I'm sure the fact they changed the freezer setting to one notch WARMER solved this issue. They seriously don't know what they're doing as far as I can tell as they always think they fixed things when they didn't.

Oh and all tenants got a letter stating that air conditioners should only be expected to lower aprtment temperatures by 20 degrees of outside temperature. Where in the world did they pull that nonsense from? It's been 105, so an air conditioner should only be expected to get it down to 85 beforte it's not working properly? lol

6/23/2010 9:42:35 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

wearp1
Steinbach, MB
54, joined Jan. 2008

Oh and all tenants got a letter stating that air conditioners should only be expected to lower aprtment temperatures by 20 degrees of outside temperature. Where in the world did they pull that nonsense from? It's been 105, so an air conditioner should only be expected to get it down to 85 beforte it's not working properly? lol
6/23/2010 10:04:55 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

yeah true, but that's really the point I meant to make earlier was that the eqipment sucks rather than that it wasn't working properly. it's probably working properly for not ebing a good air conditioner. But scuffer mentioned at one point that they're required at apartments to have it where people can get their temps down to 72 in Summer. Not sure whnat the rules are here and I'm having a hard time finding out.

By the way I just got a reading of 52 in the freezer. I'm really about mad enough to sternly tell them whty're not doing anything properly. You can only be polite for so long before you can't deal anymore. They ignored everythign I said in the maintenance request basically.

6/23/2010 10:10:43 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

wearp1
Steinbach, MB
54, joined Jan. 2008

flame that sucks.
also AC should be cleaned every year.coils should be washed out .

6/23/2010 11:16:38 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  
latestflame
Germantown, TN
40, joined Sep. 2009

He cleaned them recently Im pretty sure. And he added some freon I believe. But it still sucks. But anyway I've got it cool enough to be "ok", but it just takes a long time thus costing more than it should. I'm more concerned with the freezer at the moment. If the freezer doesn't cause me to die then I'm ok I guess. If I die I hope my ghost can sue these people.

6/23/2010 11:42:22 PM Self Defrosting Freezer  

wearp1
Steinbach, MB
54, joined Jan. 2008

pull your fridge out and and check to see if you can find the drain for the freezer ,take a look and see if it is clear if it has a drain blow in it ,maybe it is plugged, most don't check for that if it i plugged that would cause it to not cool as well.

6/24/2010 12:37:49 AM Self Defrosting Freezer  
jonas35
Dahlonega, GA
43, joined Oct. 2008

My buddy tyler durdan might know something about it, he knows all kinds of miscelaneous stuff. Let me get back with you.