Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

where to hookup besides craigslist

Right after two weeks with each other, Toby had to return to England. pottsville pa dating The next day I send him again, asking if he was okay and that I miss him a lot I knew I by no means treated him right, and that he will not tolerate my push and pull for too lengthy. We re not just ideal good friends but soulmates, and we have already started creating a life with each other. locanto ventura The contact was complete of discoveries, and the additional we talked, the a lot more we learned about our interconnected social circles.

real free hookup sites

Woo recommends profiles based on your place and interests. dating websites edmonton as I mentioned in my first post I have pulled the plug on web dating. The other man s wife and I had dated when we were both in higher school. bijoudemi onlyfans Last spring, a little group of pals who Blue describes as introverted, decided to type a hang out bubble.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

1/22/2016 9:23:07 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,770)
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

What do we hear about Hell, from almost every Christian denomination? If you are good, you go to Heaven, and if you're bad, you go to the other place. Where every centimeter of your body, will be in flames, not for a moment, but for eternity. You will experience unending, blistering, burning misery.

He made us. No one asked if we wanted to be made. Everybody has a propensity to do things wrong. And if we should die today, with one sin not confessed, will we immediately go to a place to be tortured eternally? That is what most of evangelical Christianity teaches. But is it true? Is it biblical? And if it is, how can we possibly love a God like that?

Lets take a closer look at this subject before taking evangelical Christian dogma as fact.

2 Peter 2:9....
"The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment, to be punished.

Q: So, if the unjust are being reserved for punishment until then, would they be burning in a lake of fire now? And, if the wicked are not in hell now, where are they?

John 5:28, 29....
“For the hour is coming, in the which ALL that are IN THE GRAVES shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.“

We have an Old Testament passage that says the same thing:

Job 21:30, 32
The wicked is reserved to the day of destruction,.. yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.

Romans 6:23 The wages of sin is DEATH, but the gift of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Humans DO NOT possess immortality, or as is termed in come circles, an “immaterial spirit.”

Genesis 3:22 .....
"The Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken."

Q: If the penalty for sin is eternal burning, then Jesus did NOT pay the full price to redeem humanity. The penalty for sin, is not eternal torment in flames , but perishing. Otherwise Jesus would still be burning.

John 3:16.....
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The penalty for sin is not eternal torment. The penalty for sin is death (perishing).

So, if there is no everlasting fire, what will happen to evil people?

Psalm 37:10, 20 .....
"For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be,..the wicked shall perish,... into smoke shall they consume away."

Malachi 4:1,3.....
"The day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all .. that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up. ...And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet."

Revelation 20:9
"And they [the wicked]went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them."

3 words in the Bible are translated “hell”......

Old testament:
1) Sheol, means grave

New testament:
2) Gehenna, Valley of Hinom, Jerusalem (city dump)
3) Hades, from Greek mythology

Greek/ Roman philosophies about the immortality of the soul, early found their way into the Christian Church, and therein have remained until this day. That is why we have this erroneous doctrine of eternal torment so deeply ingrained within most of Christianity

Matthew 10:28...
"Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Isaiah 28:21
"He [God] shall be wroth, ...that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act."

You do not love your children more than God loves His. In Genesis it says it grieved Him that He had made man on the earth, and that He had to bring a flood. But are those people still drowning? No. Neither are there souls burning forever in hell.

Q: But doesn't the Bible speak of ”unquenchable fire?”

Matthew 3:12...
"He will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

So, are the righteous saved going to be sitting on the outside walls of the New Jerusalem, watching the wicked burn, throughout eternity, eating pop corn, for entertainment?

A: They will burn with (unquenchable fire) that can not be put out, until they are consumed.

Jude 1:7 The results of the fire are eternal, not the fire itself

Q: Rev 20:10 Doesn't “tormented for ever and ever” mean endless time?

Exodus 21:6 ....
"His master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever."

1 Samuel 1:22 "shall abide forever"
1 Samuel 1:22 "as long as he lives"

For ever and ever is a biblical expression which means until the end of the age, not necessarily an unending length of time.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

1/22/2016 10:20:45 PM No Hell Below Us  

aphrodisianus
Over 1,000 Posts (1,600)
Leander, TX
66, joined Oct. 2013

Hell is literally a state of mind. The Eskimo concept of hell is a very cold place. Desert religion have a hot hell. Those are anthropological facts.

To dwell in the minutia of religious delusions as if it were fact is a waste of life. Fanatic religious have narrow minds. If hell is a hot place or a cold place it's on earth. It's not where you go when you die. When you die you're dead.

1/23/2016 2:54:04 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from walt_oftheearth:
What do we hear about Hell, from almost every Christian denomination? If you are good, you go to Heaven, and if you're bad, you go to the other place. Where every centimeter of your body, will be in flames, not for a moment, but for eternity. You will experience unending, blistering, burning misery.

He made us. No one asked if we wanted to be made. Everybody has a propensity to do things wrong. And if we should die today, with one sin not confessed, will we immediately go to a place to be tortured eternally? That is what most of evangelical Christianity teaches. But is it true? Is it biblical? And if it is, how can we possibly love a God like that?

Lets take a closer look at this subject before taking evangelical Christian dogma as fact.

"The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment, to be punished.

Q: So, if the unjust are being reserved for punishment until then, would they be burning in a lake of fire now? And, if the wicked are not in hell now, where are they?

“For the hour is coming, in the which ALL that are IN THE GRAVES shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.“

The wicked is reserved to the day of destruction,.. yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.

Romans 6:23 The wages of sin is DEATH, but the gift of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Humans DO NOT possess immortality, or as is termed in come circles, an “immaterial spirit.”

"The Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken."

Q: If the penalty for sin is eternal burning, then Jesus did NOT pay the full price to redeem humanity. The penalty for sin, is not eternal torment in flames , but perishing. Otherwise Jesus would still be burning.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The penalty for sin is not eternal torment. The penalty for sin is death (perishing).

"For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be,..the wicked shall perish,... into smoke shall they consume away."

"The day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all .. that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up. ...And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet."

"And they [the wicked]went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them."

Old testament:
1) Sheol, means grave

New testament:

Greek/ Roman philosophies about the immortality of the soul, early found their way into the Christian Church, and therein have remained until this day. That is why we have this erroneous doctrine of eternal torment so deeply ingrained within most of Christianity

"Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

"He [God] shall be wroth, ...that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act."

You do not love your children more than God loves His. In Genesis it says it grieved Him that He had made man on the earth, and that He had to bring a flood. But are those people still drowning? No. Neither are there souls burning forever in hell.

"He will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

So, are the righteous saved going to be sitting on the outside walls of the New Jerusalem, watching the wicked burn, throughout eternity, eating pop corn, for entertainment?

A: They will burn with (unquenchable fire) that can not be put out, until they are consumed.

"His master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever."

For ever and ever is a biblical expression which means until the end of the age, not necessarily an unending length of time.

Frightening people is coercion , and corruption . People use it to support beliefs , that need it , to survive .

If there is a god , I think he can survive quite well without us . He doesn't need our help , or our support .

1/23/2016 9:10:20 AM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,836)
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Old testament:
1) Sheol, means grave

New testament:

so I won't go to hell simply because I don't accept jesus as my savior? that shoots Pascal's wager all to hell then, does it not. why accept jesus if I won't go to hell anyway?

1/23/2016 2:30:15 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so I won't go to hell simply because I don't accept jesus as my savior? that shoots Pascal's wager all to hell then, does it not. why accept jesus if I won't go to hell anyway?

There is no hell below us or anywhere else; nor will there be.

I'm not sure what the percentage is, but the vast, vast majority of Christians believe in everlasting fire/ torment. But that does not make it true.

What a black eye it gives God, though. And this false doctrine makes God into a monster.

And some feel, a Genesis flood does, too.

I guess we would have had to have been there, to experience the nature of people back then. If indeed they were very wicked.

1/23/2016 2:41:09 PM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

I'm not sure what the percentage is, but the vast, vast majority of Christians believe in everlasting fire/ torment. But that does not make it true.

What a black eye it gives God, though. And this false doctrine makes God into a monster.

I guess we would have had to have been there, to experience the nature of people back then. If indeed they were very wicked.

I really like your perspective , your willing to make a sacrifice , for the overall benefit of all life .

I may not agree with what you say , but can I agree with what you feel .

1/23/2016 8:07:02 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from nonstandard:
I really like your perspective , your willing to make a sacrifice , for the overall benefit of all life .

I may not agree with what you say , but can I agree with what you feel .

Thank you. Some say don't trust your feelings. But I say there's been more evil spread around this globe, with the brain, with no heart.

The brain says: "More, more, more, for ME!"

The heart says: "But what about the people, and the other creatures/ animals?"

1/24/2016 12:43:20 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Thank you. Some say don't trust your feelings. But I say there's been more evil spread around this globe, with the brain, with no heart.

The brain says: "More, more, more, for ME!"

The heart says: "But what about the people, and the other creatures/ animals?"

1/24/2016 9:57:03 AM No Hell Below Us  

olderthandirt20
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,628)
Waldron, AR
69, joined Jul. 2014

Walt the world flood and hell are not the only "black eyes" in the bible,the old testament is full of cruel "unjust punishments" towards godless nations & peoples.
Now I know you will say the coming of jesus brought a "new covenant" but there are people who use the old testament as inspiration.

1/24/2016 3:22:48 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:

What you wrote reminded me of what I call "Christian jargon."

There are many things Christians say that are actually bass ackwards. "Accepting Jesus" is one of them.

"Have you accepted Jesus?" many ask. That is 180 degrees off. Its actually a matter of whether Jesus accepts us. This is best realized in His statement:

"You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain." ~ John 15:16

Someday I will start a thread on misleading Christian jargon

1/24/2016 5:25:47 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

once again you dodged the question.

1/24/2016 8:13:10 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
once again you dodged the question.

I will try again......

Quote from jrbogie1949:

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so I won't go to hell simply because I don't accept jesus as my savior?

If you're speaking in terms of this "everlasting fire" that has been used to scare people into church, that's correct. No one will experience that.

Quote from jrbogie1949:
why accept jesus if I won't go to hell anyway?

As I wrote in an earlier post, this Christian jargon "accepting Jesus" is a distortion. It almost makes it seem like we have to stoop down to accept something unpalatable to us. But what truly can be unpalatable is our admitting and confessing our unworthiness. None of us can live up to the degree of holiness that God is.

His invitation TO US is "Come unto me all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly of heart."

1/24/2016 8:21:36 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

As I wrote in an earlier post, this Christian jargon "accepting Jesus" is a distortion. It almost makes it seem like we have to stoop down to accept something unpalatable to us. But what truly can be unpalatable is our admitting and confessing our unworthiness. None of us can live up to the degree of holiness that God is.

His invitation TO US is "Come unto me all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly of heart."

so then you consider my comment regarding Pascal's wager valid. no reason to believe in god because not believing will result in no dire consequences. my experience has been that few Christians will agree with you, including my daughter but hey, she's not the most agreeable person on the planet.

1/24/2016 9:20:17 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so then you consider my comment regarding Pascal's wager valid. no reason to believe in god because not believing will result in no dire consequences. my experience has been that few Christians will agree with you, including my daughter but hey, she's not the most agreeable person on the planet.

Yes, I know, most cling to this so tenaciously.

To me it is a conundrum. It is written the love of God leads us to turning (repentance), yet this erroneous business of eternal flames is always there.

Could it be that Christians have a hard time being forgiving? Could it be that a lot of Christians actually want some people to burn forever?

It is interesting to me that the serpent in the Garden said "You will not surely die." And this lie (of having an 'immaterial spirit') is perpetuated by nearly every Christian church.

1/27/2016 9:07:33 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Some if not most mislead Christians think that Jesus words about the Rich Man & Lazarus, in John 16, is proof that there is a hell and unending torment in everlasting fire. But let us take a closer look at this.

Jesus actually does say that that parable of the Rich man and Lazarus is a teaching parable, for it comes right on the heels of Luke 15, where at the end of that chapter, there is the parable of the Prodigal Son.

Chapter divisions were not a part of the original writings of the New Testament, but were added centuries later--perhaps after the invention of Gutenberg's press. So, Luke 16, according to correct exegetical methods of bringing meaning FROM scripture (in opposition to Isogesis, which is imposing bias ON scripture), is a direct uninterrupted continuation of Jesus's words at the end of Luke 15.

There is no getting around that. The Rich Man & Lazarus is as much a parable as is the parable of the Prodigal Son. For Jesus first word in Luke 16 is "And,....." Indicating He was still giving illustrations and parables of teachings.

What was the teaching in the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus? It was not at all about hell or what it is. It was instead, simply this:

Don't be so concerned with accumulating material things and pleasures in this world, otherwise, the 1st will be last and the last first.

1/29/2016 10:14:07 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Ownership is our biggest problem , it gives us a reason to fight , and to kill.

Its an illusion . For a complex organism to survive , it needs a self . It needs to protect , nourish , and sustain , a body that cant live on its own . The self makes it all possible . The drawback is that the self , becomes more real , than the environment that put it there to begin with .

1/29/2016 8:10:39 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from nonstandard:
Ownership is our biggest problem , it gives us a reason to fight , and to kill.

Its an illusion . For a complex organism to survive , it needs a self . It needs to protect , nourish , and sustain , a body that cant live on its own . The self makes it all possible . The drawback is that the self , becomes more real , than the environment that put it there to begin with .

That definitely has a ring of truth to it. I think the malady is called egocentricity. "It's all about me." The world revolves around ME.

Taint so.

1/30/2016 6:58:07 AM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

That definitely has a ring of truth to it. I think the malady is called egocentricity. "It's all about me." The world revolves around ME.

Taint so.

actually Einstein showed with special relativity tis so especially as regards space and time. when two people travel at different speeds even time is relative to each person. from this idea we can derive that two people occupying two different spaces will each see their universe differently. for instance, from the center of my universe in California I can look up at the night sky and see the north star and the big dipper constellation while at the same time an Australian can look up and see nothing but daylight. if he waits until evening he'll see a different night sky, one made up of different stars and constellations such as the southern cross.

1/31/2016 2:41:54 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Taint so.

I agree .

Everything with a brain , is born to see itself as the center of the universe , not because its true , but because it needs to believe its true , to sustain a physical form .

Everything else is learned , from the environment , an environment that shows us how everything works .

Attempting to rule it , kills us , and everything in it .

2/2/2016 10:42:02 AM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

In the North American "Great Awakening" revivals of of the mid 1700's and early 1800s, fear of hell fire was heavily emphasized. And people were "converted." But by what? The love of God?

The scripture saith "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." And that is what first struck me when I first ever opened a Bible as a young person. It was Psalms, chapter 1. I trembled as I read:

"The way of the ungodly shall perish." (vs 6)

Let's look at the Hebrew word translated "perish," in Psalms 1...ä·vad'

According to the Lexicon and concordance on the website, Blue Letter Bible, ä·vad' means:

perish, vanish, be destroyed
perish, die, be exterminated
to blot out, do away with, cause to vanish

I do not see anything in these meanings to suggest in the least, eternal torture/ torment. Do you?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. That whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

The Roman and Greek pagan beliefs of the immortality of the soul that crept into (not the apostalic) but the early catholic church, and then into Protestantism, are with us until this day. They persist because they became concretized as dogma.

The scripture states that eternal life is "the gift of God." Humans do not naturally possess eternal life. Only in God, is there eternal life. He does not give the gift of eternal life to those who will be judged as evil doers/ unbelievers.

They simply will cease to exist.

2/2/2016 1:11:39 PM No Hell Below Us  

followjesusonly
Over 7,500 Posts!! (7,984)
Kingman, AZ
73, joined May. 2012

In the North American "Great Awakening" revivals of of the mid 1700's and early 1800s, fear of hell fire was heavily emphasized. And people were "converted." But by what? The love of God?

The scripture saith "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." And that is what first struck me when I first ever opened a Bible as a young person. It was Psalms, chapter 1. I trembled as I read:

According to the Lexicon and concordance on the website, Blue Letter Bible, ä·vad' means:

I do not see anything in these meanings to suggest in the least, eternal torture/ torment. Do you?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. That whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

The Roman and Greek pagan beliefs of the immortality of the soul that crept into (not the apostalic) but the early catholic church, and then into Protestantism, are with us until this day. They persist because they became concretized as dogma.

The scripture states that eternal life is "the gift of God." Humans do not naturally possess eternal life. Only in God, is there eternal life. He does not give the gift of eternal life to those who will be judged as evil doers/ unbelievers.

That sounds right to me, Walt.

"The wages of sin is death." Rom. 6:23

2/2/2016 7:27:11 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

the 1700 and 1800s. ah yes, that period of time when a hundred million native americans were murdered or had their lands stolen by mostly Christians. those ungodly folks sure did perish even while fighting for their lives and those of their loved ones. in the name of god excused as god's will?

2/2/2016 7:55:00 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
the 1700 and 1800s. ah yes, that period of time when a hundred million native americans were murdered or had their lands stolen by mostly Christians. those ungodly folks sure did perish even while fighting for their lives and those of their loved ones. in the name of god excused as god's will?

Can't argue with any of what you said, JR. In the eyes of the murderers of our "mostly" beautiful Native American people (the film, Dances With Wolves comes to mind), they were viewed as sub-human/ savages, thus lending impetus to the slaughter. I say mostly, because some were quite barbaric, themselves, murdering other Native peoples, for territory. But of course, that did not justify in any way, what happened.

I think one of the saddest sagas I ever read was about Ishi's people, who happened to populate the area near where you used to live, Redbluff/ Mt Lassen.

A bad winter, with low food reserves, would bring them to desperate measures, taking one of settler's cattle. That, in turn, would be met with a campaign killing dozens, if not hundreds of Ishi's people. Ishi, finally, starving, alone--the last of his people--wandered into an Oroville, CA slaughterhouse sometime around 1905. He was promptly arrested, then sort of put on display down at Berkeley. It is said of him that he was one of the gentleless humans anyone had ever known.

And, yes, there were many happy church goers among the murderers. How their consciences slept at night, I have no idea.

2/2/2016 8:28:03 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

still live in red bluff. home on the river, boat in channel islands. split my time between the two.

2/2/2016 8:36:03 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

just goes to the point that being a xtian does nothing to prevent evil doing that has been going on for centuries. and of course with majority of convicted felons that populate our prisons being xtian there is nothing to suggest that it has slowed much. the world would simply be a safer place if religion could just be eradicated from human minds.

2/2/2016 9:02:52 PM No Hell Below Us  
cupocheer
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (188,513)
Assumption, IL
67, joined May. 2010

Walt.... been awhile.

Hell is a concept. Not an actual in the center of the earth (down) location.

The description of Hell and what many Christians "refer to" as hell and brimstone is more akin to a parable.

Are any of us so adept or proficient in translating the meanings of the Bible, let alone parables?

2/3/2016 1:49:07 AM No Hell Below Us  

sail_dancer
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,520)
Saint Petersburg, FL
68, joined Apr. 2010
online now!

Quote from jrbogie1949:
the world would simply be a safer place if religion could just be eradicated from human minds.

Peace

2/3/2016 6:58:33 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

I can replace the word god (in scripture), with nature , and its works just as well (most of the time).

Am I replacing god with nature , or is the bible replacing nature with god ?

[Edited 2/3/2016 6:59:25 AM ]

2/3/2016 7:07:47 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

I think that "nature" works even better than "god" , but my opinion is bias .

I enjoy swapping the word god , with nature , and I'm often pleasantly surprised by the results .

Maybe its just the only way that I can accept it .

If nature said ,"let there be light", then I could say ,"yes, its true".

[Edited 2/3/2016 7:10:11 AM ]

2/3/2016 8:13:07 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

I recently heard an compelling argument against everlasting fire/ everlasting torment, which is quite to the point, and made a lot of sense. To me, at least.

I read: "If the wages of sin is everlasting fire/ everlasting torment, then Jesus would still be burning." When I look at that and realize that it is written that "the wages of sin is death," and that there is a 2nd death reserved for the wicked, it got me thinking.

God would have us adore and worship Him in purest devotion and love. But if there is a place of eternal torment, I wonder how that kind of adoration and love would be possible.

2/3/2016 8:16:31 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
just goes to the point that being a xtian does nothing to prevent evil doing that has been going on for centuries. and of course with majority of convicted felons that populate our prisons being xtian there is nothing to suggest that it has slowed much. the world would simply be a safer place if religion could just be eradicated from human minds.

Well, now, that isn't quite true, JR, and I think that you know that. There have been countless numbers of Christian medical missionaries in this worlds history that have selflessly relieved enormous amounts of suffering and evil around the world. Some, even though they only did good, have actually been martyred

2/3/2016 9:31:31 PM No Hell Below Us  

followjesusonly
Kingman, AZ
73, joined May. 2012

I recently heard an compelling argument against everlasting fire/ everlasting torment, which is quite to the point, and made a lot of sense. To me, at least.

I read: "If the wages of sin is everlasting fire/ everlasting torment, then Jesus would still be burning." When I look at that and realize that it is written that "the wages of sin is death," and that there is a 2nd death reserved for the wicked, it got me thinking.

God would have us adore and worship Him in purest devotion and love. But if there is a place of eternal torment, I wonder how that kind of adoration and love would be possible.

Walt, I know the bible is your thing, but it seems to me that you have more advanced ideas about God than most of the fundy Christians here. In fact, your advanced ideas are Urantia Book good. I would like you to consider getting yourself a copy of The Urantia Book. I think you're ready. For about $18 or less, you can get this edition (below) of The Urantia Book from Amazon.com. This is the best one to get. Don't get the cheaper one. This one has a Jim Dandy index. And for a measly $18 you will have a 2000 page, up to the minute revelation from God's government. How can you beat that? And no one will know that you have it unless you tell them.

There is no place of eternal torment. This has probably been revealed to you by Jesus' Spirit of Truth via the "compelling argument" you mentioned above. But that shows that you are OPEN to new truth. That's 90% of the battle and it's how the Spirit of Truth can work in you but not in others.

Give The Urantia Book a read, Walt.

Did you move from Ajo? I thought you lived there.

2/3/2016 9:46:57 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

we each have our own truth, walt.

2/3/2016 9:53:29 PM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

and yet so many god fearing folk feel just like that. love and adore my god OR ELSE. I think that notion keeps me from god more than anything else. on the other hand, if as you say there is no reason to fear everlasting fire and torment, pascals wager is no wager at all.

2/3/2016 10:18:29 PM No Hell Below Us  
cupocheer
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (188,513)
Assumption, IL
67, joined May. 2010

I believe as I believe.

You believe as you do.

'nuff said

2/4/2016 12:35:52 AM No Hell Below Us  

flyfish77
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (21,095)
Conyers, GA
51, joined Jul. 2014

i believe god,an jesus an what god had paul,an all the prophets write down,theres a real hell,but im really saved an forgiven,and under grace,an i,ll have my forever with jesus,an no part in hell,i live forgiven......if anyone says no to the price jesus paid,the free gift,then you made your choice for hell,it is written.

2/4/2016 5:02:31 AM No Hell Below Us  
irishrose0906
Dublin, OH
51, joined Mar. 2013

I don't believe in a physical Hell. Just as I don't believe that we are separated from God because of sin. How can I be separated from that which is a part of me? Makes no sense to me. Why would God give us the gift of free will and then punish us for using it? Wouldn't that make Lucifer right in saying that God made a mistake when he gave us free will? If I believe I am a sinner and because of that sin I am separated from God, then doesn't that create the image in my mind that I am separated? And if I create that image and believe in it then isn't that what I will experience? Food for thought...

2/4/2016 9:11:06 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from cupocheer:
I believe as I believe.

You believe as you do.

'nuff said

Belief has a purpose . We live in a world where nothing is guaranteed .

I believe that when I hop in my car , I'm going to get from point A to B unscathed .

The mind is very powerful , it can kill , as well as it heals . Belief is like Neosporin for the brain .

2/4/2016 9:22:56 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Believing we are safe , and sound , keeps the demons away .

It allows us to rest , in a world that doesn't care if we rest , or not .

If we did not believe , we would die from fright .

2/4/2016 12:30:54 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from jrbogie1949:
and yet so many god fearing folk feel just like that. love and adore my god OR ELSE. I think that notion keeps me from god more than anything else. on the other hand, if as you say there is no reason to fear everlasting fire and torment, pascals wager is no wager at all.

Too true, what you say above.

I have been in a debate on a forum thread about such things. And here is what one self proclaimed "orthodox" Christian wrote about this God, whom they believe will give the wicked bodies made out of asbestos, so they can burn forever. I agree. This picture of God is not a good one......

"[Walt],you are implying that if God operates in a way that is different than what you would expect, then He is not worthy of your adoration, worship, or love. So what if orthodox Christians are right about this? You sound like you are prepared to reject the God of orthodox Christianity who is a God of both infinite love and infinite justice, infinite grace and infinite wrath. If righteous wrath is truly a part of God's being, do you reject this God?"

2/4/2016 1:31:57 PM No Hell Below Us  

followjesusonly
Kingman, AZ
73, joined May. 2012

Too true, what you say above.

I have been in a debate on a forum thread about such things. And here is what one self proclaimed "orthodox" Christian wrote about this God, whom they believe will give the wicked bodies made out of asbestos, so they can burn forever. I agree. This picture of God is not a good one......

"[Walt],you are implying that if God operates in a way that is different than what you would expect, then He is not worthy of your adoration, worship, or love. So what if orthodox Christians are right about this? You sound like you are prepared to reject the God of orthodox Christianity who is a God of both infinite love and infinite justice, infinite grace and infinite wrath. If righteous wrath is truly a part of God's being, do you reject this God?"

Walt, it sounds like you are ready to move on, and it sounds like you are moving on to a better understanding of God than is contained in the "Old Testament," and it sounds like you are open to the Spirit of Truth, which so many Christians refuse to allow to operate in their minds because they believe they already have all truth, and the Spirit of Truth will not change anyone's previously settled beliefs against their will.

There is no such thing as "righteous wrath" as far as God is concerned. Wrath is a human emotion. Ascribing wrath to God is blasphemy against God. If the OT says that God is wrathful, it's just wrong, that's all. Our beliefs about God must evolve and advance from the beliefs about God that people had 3000 years ago.

Of course God is worthy of your adoration, worship, and love. But God is better than what some books and sources blasphemously portray Him as. It's time to up our game with regard to our understanding of God. We do not have to fear God or His alleged "wrath." God is not wrathful in any way. God is love. God is perfect. Perfect spiritual beings do not engage in wrath or vengeance or jealousy, or any other such animalistic driven emotions.

GOD’S WRATH

142:2.1 There was in Jerusalem in attendance upon the Passover festivities one Jacob, a wealthy Jewish trader from Crete, and he came to Andrew making request to see Jesus privately. Andrew arranged this secret meeting with Jesus at Flavius’s home the evening of the next day. This man could not comprehend the Master’s teachings, and he came because he desired to inquire more fully about the kingdom of God. Said Jacob to Jesus: “But, Rabbi, Moses and the olden prophets tell us that Yahweh is a jealous God, a God of great wrath and fierce anger. The prophets say he hates evildoers and takes vengeance on those who obey not his law. You and your disciples teach us that God is a kind and compassionate Father who so loves all men that he would welcome them into this new kingdom of heaven, which you proclaim is so near at hand.”

142:2.2 When Jacob finished speaking, Jesus replied: “Jacob, you have well stated the teachings of the olden prophets who taught the children of their generation in accordance with the light of their day. Our Father in Paradise is changeless. But the concept of his nature has enlarged and grown from the days of Moses down through the times of Amos and even to the generation of the prophet Isaiah. And now have I come in the flesh to reveal the Father in new glory and to show forth his love and mercy to all men on all worlds. As the gospel of this kingdom shall spread over the world with its message of good cheer and good will to all men, there will grow up improved and better relations among the families of all nations. As time passes, fathers and their children will love each other more, and thus will be brought about a better understanding of the love of the Father in heaven for his children on earth. Remember, Jacob, that a good and true father not only loves his family as a whole—as a family—but he also truly loves and affectionately cares for each individual member.”

142:2.3 After considerable discussion of the heavenly Father’s character, Jesus paused to say: “You, Jacob, being a father of many, know well the truth of my words.” And Jacob said: “But, Master, who told you I was the father of six children? How did you know this about me?” And the Master replied: “Suffice it to say that the Father and the Son know all things, for indeed they see all. Loving your children as a father on earth, you must now accept as a reality the love of the heavenly Father for you—not just for all the children of Abraham, but for you, your individual soul.”

142:2.4 Then Jesus went on to say: “When your children are very young and immature, and when you must chastise them, they may reflect that their father is angry and filled with resentful wrath. Their immaturity cannot penetrate beyond the punishment to discern the father’s farseeing and corrective affection. But when these same children become grown-up men and women, would it not be folly for them to cling to these earlier and misconceived notions regarding their father? As men and women they should now discern their father’s love in all these early disciplines. And should not mankind, as the centuries pass, come the better to understand the true nature and loving character of the Father in heaven? What profit have you from successive generations of spiritual illumination if you persist in viewing God as Moses and the prophets saw him? I say to you, Jacob, under the bright light of this hour you should see the Father as none of those who have gone before ever beheld him. And thus seeing him, you should rejoice to enter the kingdom wherein such a merciful Father rules, and you should seek to have his will of love dominate your life henceforth.”

142:2.5 And Jacob answered: “Rabbi, I believe; I desire that you lead me into the Father’s kingdom.” (from The Urantia Book)

2/5/2016 11:54:54 AM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Comment from an evangelical Christian that believes in everlasting torment:

"When Jesus talks of eternal punishment, we cannot explain that away because it causes us to cringe."

My reply:

I do verily believe the punishment for the wicked will be eternal/ everlasting, and I am not trying to explain that fact away. There will be no coming back, no serving time; no being released on probation. Because the wicked, as is indicated in Malachi 4, will "consume away into smoke."

We have Revelation 20:9,10 and verse 9 tells us that those who were deceived by the Devil are consumed. “fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.” the KJV renders. Eugene Peterson's The Message renders the Greek as “burned up.” So we ask how can something that is "burned up" continue to burn? That is a logical question.

Rev 20:10 tells us that the Devil, the Beast, and False Prophet are cast into a lake of fire where they are tormented “day and night for ever and ever.” Well, now, that sounds rather convincing for everlasting fire. But the Greek word translated in the KJV as “Forever and ever” here is aionios which CAN also mean a “period of time," or age.” Curiously,aionios is also translated everlasting in Jude 1:7, as for the fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. This fact can not be side stepped. If aionios can mean a “period of time,” or an “age” then we can not definitely know that Rev 20:10 is forever and ever. For as I pointed out earlier in the thread, this same Greek word, aionios is also used in Matthew 24, translated “everlasting fire.” And Sodom & Gomorrah is not still burning, is it?. Of course not. BUT, the RESULTS of the fire are eternal. And, so therefore, I do believe in everlasting punishment,... in that the results/ affects are "everlasting."

Here is an interesting text, Nahum 1:9 “What do ye imagine against the Lord? he will make an utter end.” That Hebrew word “kalah” (Strongs H3617), translated “utter end” interestingly means:

completion,
termination,
full end,
complete destruction,
consumption,
annihilation.

It can't be any clearer than that.

Lets look at this Hebrew word “kalah” as it is translated in ALL the other occurrences in the KJV Old Testament:

end (11x),
altogether (3x),
consume (3x),
consumption (2x),
consummation (1x),
determined (1x),
riddance (1x).

Not even once is it meant to mean forever.

2/6/2016 12:56:36 PM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

"Five Reasons Why More Christians Are Rejecting The Traditional View of Hell"
August 27, 2014 by Benjamin L. Corey

1. Something in our spirit tells us that torturing people is morally wrong.

2. The concept of eternal, conscious torment runs contrary to the whole testimony in scripture.

3. The final judge of each individual is Jesus, and torturing people seems contradictory to his character.

4. Jesus would become a hypocrite, demanding that we nonviolently love our enemies while he does the complete opposite.

5. We simply can’t get past the idea that we are more gracious and merciful than Jesus himself.

2/6/2016 2:33:33 PM No Hell Below Us  
m_gonzales
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,880)
San Antonio, TX
26, joined Sep. 2012

Let's be fair. A millennium of divine-ordered genocide probably has more to do with God looking like a monster than anything else.

2/6/2016 2:40:25 PM No Hell Below Us  

followjesusonly
Kingman, AZ
73, joined May. 2012

Quote from m_gonzales:
Let's be fair. A millennium of divine-ordered genocide probably has more to do with God looking like a monster than anything else.

There is NO "divine ordered genocide." The bible is wrong if it says that and Christians are wrong if they teach that.

2/6/2016 3:18:07 PM No Hell Below Us  
m_gonzales
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,880)
San Antonio, TX
26, joined Sep. 2012

Quote from followjesusonly:
There is NO "divine ordered genocide." The bible is wrong if it says that and Christians are wrong if they teach that.

It's right there in the book. :/

2/6/2016 4:15:31 PM No Hell Below Us  

followjesusonly
Kingman, AZ
73, joined May. 2012

Quote from m_gonzales:
It's right there in the book. :/

It may be in the book, but that doesn't mean the genocides were divinely ordered, it just means the book is wrong.

2/7/2016 1:59:59 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from m_gonzales:

So true .

The transcendentalists turned god into nature . Heaven and hell becomes something on earth , when god is closer to home . We were born here , and we want to stay here , because this is the greatest place in the universe .

Everything in the universe wants this opportunity . We should be humble , not bombastic loons .

2/7/2016 2:08:02 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

If we become the elements our bodies dissolve into , its still better that aimlessly floating in space , we're still a part of something spectacular .

Separating ourselves , just makes us float in space , when we could be enjoying our good fortunes .

2/7/2016 2:15:44 AM No Hell Below Us  

sincetta
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,596)
Mobile, AL
30, joined May. 2014

The Lake of Fire and the idea of a second death of eternal damnation is an Egyptian myth to instill fear into the subjects so that they would follow the rules.

look up Ammit on wikipedia. it's basically, like, the book of revelations in 2 paragraphs for dummies.

It doesn't seem so different on the surface of Christianity.

I find that in religion, the meaning is not often surface dwelling like it is in mythology.

2/7/2016 2:26:03 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

When we were primitive , we knew who the boss was . The more we learned to control nature , the more our heads swelled . Nature hasn't changed , we've changed , we've become super beasts , compliments of the nature that made us beasts to begin with .

2/7/2016 2:32:54 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

We think we can change it , we know we can change it , we change it everyday .

Its killing us , but we're too comfortable to notice , or to care .

2/7/2016 2:39:37 AM No Hell Below Us  

sincetta
Mobile, AL
30, joined May. 2014

i disagree, technological pollution has turned us to stone.

revelations always makes me think of exodus 35:3

it's already here. been here for a long time.

2/7/2016 3:04:16 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from sincetta:
i disagree, technological pollution has turned us to stone.

revelations always makes me think of exodus 35:3

it's already here. been here for a long time.

We're not stone , we're organic organisms .

We dig toxins from the earth , that the earth has protected us from for millions of years . We love what we can do with it , but it was there for our own protection .

There was plenty of other ways to get our kicks on top of the earth . What is free , and abundant , cant be monopolized .

Its killing us , its killing everything on our planet , we know it , and yet we cling to it , as if it was our salvation .

We're not so smart , we're typical animals .

2/7/2016 3:26:09 AM No Hell Below Us  

sincetta
Mobile, AL
30, joined May. 2014

Quote from nonstandard:
We're not stone , we're organic organisms .

We dig toxins from the earth , that the earth has protected us from for millions of years . We love what we can do with it , but it was there for our own protection .

There was plenty of other ways to get our kicks on top of the earth . What is free , and abundant , cant be monopolized .

Its killing us , its killing everything on our planet , we know it , and yet we cling to it , as if it was our salvation .

We're not so smart , we're typical animals .

stone was a metaphor to being unmoving to God. It started way before we dug for oil. The story of Icarus is in reference to authority, which in turn, the pride of it is insufferable. it's not just on an individual scale. It's a universal design of infinite ruin; no recovery. everything is subject.

fire is a metaphor for a distraction from God. there was a story about that too, what was his name....Prometheus

2/7/2016 4:22:34 AM No Hell Below Us  

nonstandard
Over 2,000 Posts (3,670)
York, PA
53, joined Jun. 2009

Quote from sincetta:
stone was a metaphor to being unmoving to God. It started way before we dug for oil. The story of Icarus is in reference to authority, which in turn, the pride of it is insufferable. it's not just on an individual scale. It's a universal design of infinite ruin; no recovery. everything is subject.

fire is a metaphor for a distraction from God. there was a story about that too, what was his name....Prometheus

God has been pulled , and stretched , like taffy . The title is like candy , it doesn't mean anything anymore . Nature , and universe , has remained consistant , it will always be what it was before .

Before we came along , and distorted it .

2/7/2016 4:43:43 AM No Hell Below Us  

sincetta
Mobile, AL
30, joined May. 2014

Quote from nonstandard:
God has been pulled , and stretched , like taffy . The title is like candy , it doesn't mean anything anymore . Nature , and universe , has remained consistant , it will always be what it was before .

Before we came along , and distorted it .

good point, probably a good reason for faith.
i do think it's possible to know God. It's just not very easy to say the least. It's not something you can just find or do...

Something along the lines of selfless love helps though.
sometimes it can't be helped if there is some selfishness involved too.

there's meaning under the surface. but you can only find what you're looking for there. most of the time it's just mumbo jumbo, but if you feel like it matters, that's what counts, regardless if it be only personal.

sometimes you can be rewarded by the holy spirit, like an answer to your searching in the right place. and it feels so good. that's what true worship is about in my book. it's like God painted me right then with his brush up my spine and there across my shoulders, saying yes, just...
yes.

2/7/2016 8:45:08 AM No Hell Below Us  

jrbogie1949
Red Bluff, CA
67, joined Mar. 2009

Quote from sincetta:
The Lake of Fire and the idea of a second death of eternal damnation is an Egyptian myth to instill fear into the subjects so that they would follow the rules. .

the inquisitors had other means to instill fear into the subjects so they'd follow the rules.

2/7/2016 8:54:13 AM No Hell Below Us  

sincetta
Mobile, AL
30, joined May. 2014

lol. Egyptians had the gallows too ya know. shit, all you had to do was lie, and bam. you're a slave.

2/7/2016 11:05:39 AM No Hell Below Us  

walt_oftheearth
Avondale, AZ
61, joined Feb. 2008

Quote from m_gonzales:

I suppose it is fair enough to place the responsibility of man's inhumanity to man on God,... for He has given us free will to do good, or evil.

But I would not go so far as to say that genocide is divinely ordered.

God did not order Hitler, or Stalin to murder millions of people.

Humans die, and I suppose that is good. My skin crawls when I think of a, everlasting Hitler or Stalin

Though we wait so very long for wrongs to be righted, that day is coming. The curtain will drop on this world, and the Author will walk on stage.