Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

rubmaps con

My skin is still humming from that sharp little shock of encounter, and I m looking for a way to ground the charge. wilmington nc single women Thalassemics India organizes conferences every 4 years and requires young children abroad to international meets. Jessica started hunting by way of her messages with Matthew to discover something that seemed suspicious. http www spdate com I thanked him for the exciting evening and he went in for a kiss and I about ran away to get in my car.

gay hookup tonight

I Undoubtedly did not feel that your hair loss prevention would repair my hairline. atlanta personal classified ads He then proceeded to tell me about his anti sex Catholic upbringing, his need for a homemaking wife and his penchant for feet. On our trips, Kevin and my only brother Andrew were the closest in age, so they bonded promptly. emma johnson chaturbate Attendees meet a substantial number of people today in a brief period of time, The goal, of course, in speed dating, is to uncover one or additional men and women with whom you d like to commit extra time on an actual date.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

2/26/2012 10:11:49 AM Questions about Corn  

wolfyhp
Over 2,000 Posts (3,921)
Bradley, CA
44, joined Apr. 2008

So, I've been asking a few folks around here, and I'm not getting a clear picture as to when to plant my corn. One person said they planted in late June last year, but had some problems. I'm not sure if the problems she had were related at all to when she planted or just other things she did wrong. Others have said just plant after the frosts are done, and our frosts are done by late April. So, I was thinking of planting in early to mid-May, but I had some questions:

We get really hot summers here, is it better to have the corn planted later so it's ready later in the summer?

How long between planting and ear-production? Is it generally all ready at once, or will it be staggered over a few weeks?

I want to dry it on the stalk, do I need to peel back the husks to let them dry, or do they peel back on their own enough to allow them to dry on the stalk? (I want to make corn meal with it.)

Thanks for your wisdom.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

2/26/2012 6:13:28 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (18,791)
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from wolfyhp:
So, I've been asking a few folks around here, and I'm not getting a clear picture as to when to plant my corn. One person said they planted in late June last year, but had some problems. I'm not sure if the problems she had were related at all to when she planted or just other things she did wrong. Others have said just plant after the frosts are done, and our frosts are done by late April. So, I was thinking of planting in early to mid-May, but I had some questions:

We get really hot summers here, is it better to have the corn planted later so it's ready later in the summer?

How long between planting and ear-production? Is it generally all ready at once, or will it be staggered over a few weeks?

I want to dry it on the stalk, do I need to peel back the husks to let them dry, or do they peel back on their own enough to allow them to dry on the stalk? (I want to make corn meal with it.)

Thanks for your wisdom.

Forget late JUne!!! Corn must be "knee high by the 4th of july" Put it in soon as th soil warms to 50-55F morning depth at 2" Usually May is fine, yes you are on track there. I have started it in a hothouse and transplanted too. Maturity depends on corn and temp.

GDD=(Max. Temp. + Min. Temp.) - 50
-------------------------

It will say on the bag, Basically. Have warm soil, warm days, water it, 85 days you'll have corn unless a slow mature time. On the West coast I had good lick with a couple hybrids. Peaches and cream and best was golden jubilee. Want to save seeds? Get a heirloom not a hybrid.

Nope, don't peel it back to dry if you want seeds. Beware worms and insects, got them it will ruin it.

2/26/2012 7:32:32 PM Questions about Corn  

wolfyhp
Over 2,000 Posts (3,921)
Bradley, CA
44, joined Apr. 2008

Quote from shawnee_b:
Forget late JUne!!! Corn must be "knee high by the 4th of july" Put it in soon as th soil warms to 50-55F morning depth at 2" Usually May is fine, yes you are on track there. I have started it in a hothouse and transplanted too. Maturity depends on corn and temp.

GDD=(Max. Temp. + Min. Temp.) - 50
-------------------------

It will say on the bag, Basically. Have warm soil, warm days, water it, 85 days you'll have corn unless a slow mature time. On the West coast I had good lick with a couple hybrids. Peaches and cream and best was golden jubilee. Want to save seeds? Get a heirloom not a hybrid.

Nope, don't peel it back to dry if you want seeds. Beware worms and insects, got them it will ruin it.

Awesome. Thank you. Maybe I'll plant on my birthday (May 2nd.) I know the mornings are usually good and warm enough by then. I'll be planting blue corn for blue corn meal.

"knee high by the 4th of July" I'll remember that one.

My maize won't be close together, it'll be a stalk to a mound with beans climbing each stalk and pumpkins growing around the base. I'm hoping I get the watering right for all 3. I imagine they're like most plants in that you let the soil go almost dry or even before watering (every 2 or 3 days right now, every 1 or 2 days as summer approaches.) I think the lavender is the most water-picky thing I have in the plot (hates overwatering) I'm sure I'll do alright with everything else. I hope I do alright with the lavender too.

Whether or not I save seeds for re-planting, rather than grinding them all, depends on what other maize folks around me are growing. My little plot is surrounded by other plots, a few of which will also be growing corn. Who knows, I might just like whatever natural hybrid comes out though.

2/26/2012 7:57:46 PM Questions about Corn  

skiwino
Over 2,000 Posts (2,427)
Redford, MI
55, joined Feb. 2007

Quote from wolfyhp:
Awesome. Thank you. Maybe I'll plant on my birthday (May 2nd.) I know the mornings are usually good and warm enough by then. I'll be planting blue corn for blue corn meal.

"knee high by the 4th of July" I'll remember that one.

My maize won't be close together, it'll be a stalk to a mound with beans climbing each stalk and pumpkins growing around the base. I'm hoping I get the watering right for all 3. I imagine they're like most plants in that you let the soil go almost dry or even before watering (every 2 or 3 days right now, every 1 or 2 days as summer approaches.) I think the lavender is the most water-picky thing I have in the plot (hates overwatering) I'm sure I'll do alright with everything else. I hope I do alright with the lavender too.

Whether or not I save seeds for re-planting, rather than grinding them all, depends on what other maize folks around me are growing. My little plot is surrounded by other plots, a few of which will also be growing corn. Who knows, I might just like whatever natural hybrid comes out though.

I believe the "3 sisters" mound should have 2-3 stalks of corn; I think that's so they help hold each other up?

2/26/2012 8:15:56 PM Questions about Corn  

wolfyhp
Over 2,000 Posts (3,921)
Bradley, CA
44, joined Apr. 2008

Quote from skiwino:
I believe the "3 sisters" mound should have 2-3 stalks of corn; I think that's so they help hold each other up?

O.k. I'll be looking it up before I plant. In the pictures it always looked like one stalk per mound. More per mound would increase the amount of corn I get, and I like that idea. Again, I'll be looking up more on it closer to planting time. I still don't even know how many bean stalks you plant per corn stalk, or how far away to plant the pumpkins (there's no squash I like, so I'm trying it with pie pumpkins.)

2/26/2012 9:21:01 PM Questions about Corn  

wolfyhp
Over 2,000 Posts (3,921)
Bradley, CA
44, joined Apr. 2008

Found a good website on the 3 sisters. You're right, it's 4 per mound. Interesting. I'll be looking at other websites as well, but the way this one sets it up sounds like it should work out well.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

2/27/2012 5:11:01 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

In CA May 2 may be OK. You'll know by soil temps and you'll "just feel it too" In WA sometimes I took chances and planted early but also seeds in a cold frame. Any didn't come up were replaced with the starts at 6" or so.

Watch critters! Crows like to get them at 2" high. Pull them out and eat the seed. I had a big patch, a full pound rare Floriana red flint to make red corn meal. Gone a weekend, they got every seed but 1.

No sweat with the other corn around you. You WILL get whatever you plant, exactly. Thing is if you save seeds, THOSE are the cross polinated surprise seeds.

Have fun, I do

2/27/2012 5:12:51 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from skiwino:

Yes, you are completely correct Ski (even if yo never have had REAL Chinese chopsuey) on the sisters and 3 stalks. Hills are usually several feet, 5-6 inch triangle of 3 stalks works well.

2/27/2012 5:30:24 PM Questions about Corn  

skiwino
Over 2,000 Posts (2,427)
Redford, MI
55, joined Feb. 2007

Quote from wolfyhp:
Found a good website on the 3 sisters. You're right, it's 4 per mound. Interesting. I'll be looking at other websites as well, but the way this one sets it up sounds like it should work out well.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Nice site. One thing missing is I believe they used to bury a fish or 2 in each mound?

2/28/2012 2:05:50 PM Questions about Corn  

wolfyhp
Over 2,000 Posts (3,921)
Bradley, CA
44, joined Apr. 2008

Quote from shawnee_b:
In CA May 2 may be OK. You'll know by soil temps and you'll "just feel it too" In WA sometimes I took chances and planted early but also seeds in a cold frame. Any didn't come up were replaced with the starts at 6" or so.

Watch critters! Crows like to get them at 2" high. Pull them out and eat the seed. I had a big patch, a full pound rare Floriana red flint to make red corn meal. Gone a weekend, they got every seed but 1.

No sweat with the other corn around you. You WILL get whatever you plant, exactly. Thing is if you save seeds, THOSE are the cross polinated surprise seeds.

Have fun, I do

Yeah, our weather is unpredictable for that time of year, so I'll just see how it is going. I just want to get it in as early as it's capable, partly so I won't be fighting the summer heat as much during early growing when the pumpkins leaves haven't shaded the mound yet. We get well over 100 for several days most summers. Our last few summers have been very unusually cool, but that doesn't mean it will be this year.

I am concerned about crows a bit. My spiritual beliefs would never allow me to harm a crow. I may put in a scarecrow or something though, or just pray that enough people have corn growing that the crows don't hurt any one person's crop too hard. They say they haven't had many crow problems there in the past, but I'm letting mine dry on the stalk for meal, which isn't something anyone there has tried yet. We do have a LOT of crows in this city.

I looked at some other websites, and I saw a big difference between the site I posted and most others. Most others don't do a separate mound for the squash, which is what I thought. the whole purpose of the squash is to cover the corn/bean mound at the base, to shade it and help protect against predators.

Some other good advice I saw I'm going to put into practice. That is, I'm going to start building the mounds in a week or two from now when I put the strawberries into the other half of the plot (not sure what else is going in there.) That way I can give time for any weeds to sprout so they can be pulled out before planting the corn. Makes for much less weeding later on, and a much better environment for the young plants to get started.

Skwimo: Yes, I do think that was common if I remember correctly from school when it was talked about; however, if you're using a good compost it's not necessary. The community garden has some very rich compost, cut with good manure (horse and sheep I believe, I can't recall for sure.)

I think I'll ultimately go with a combination of the websites I saw. So far I'm thinking I'll use the square planting method from the site I posted, doing 4 corn and 4 beans, but instead of doing a separate mound for the pumpkins I'll plant them around the base of the mound. Some sites suggested planting more corn and then weeding out the weaker ones, but I think I'm just going to plant the 4 in that square pattern. I really like that pattern.

I also understand the tops of the mounds need to be flattened, and since I'm in a water short area I'll build the reservoir walls around the corn and beans to help conserve water.

2/28/2012 3:31:14 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from skiwino:
Nice site. One thing missing is I believe they used to bury a fish or 2 in each mound?

Draws predators, coons especially.

2/28/2012 3:34:21 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from wolfyhp:
Yeah, our weather is unpredictable for that time of year, so I'll just see how it is going. I just want to get it in as early as it's capable, partly so I won't be fighting the summer heat as much during early growing when the pumpkins leaves haven't shaded the mound yet. We get well over 100 for several days most summers. Our last few summers have been very unusually cool, but that doesn't mean it will be this year.

I am concerned about crows a bit. My spiritual beliefs would never allow me to harm a crow. I may put in a scarecrow or something though, or just pray that enough people have corn growing that the crows don't hurt any one person's crop too hard. They say they haven't had many crow problems there in the past, but I'm letting mine dry on the stalk for meal, which isn't something anyone there has tried yet. We do have a LOT of crows in this city.

I looked at some other websites, and I saw a big difference between the site I posted and most others. Most others don't do a separate mound for the squash, which is what I thought. the whole purpose of the squash is to cover the corn/bean mound at the base, to shade it and help protect against predators.

Scare crow, fake dead one (decoy on it's side) what works? Many stakes around the perimeter. Use string a foot off the ground like a net when it first comes up. They hate it, get tangled. Once corn is 8-10" no sweat, take the string away. if a coon prob? There are red led things "nite guard" etc looks like a predators eyes and scares them off, solar charged, $20 each. Make your own if you are "LED literate" for a buck.

2/28/2012 6:02:21 PM Questions about Corn  

skiwino
Over 2,000 Posts (2,427)
Redford, MI
55, joined Feb. 2007

Quote from shawnee_b:
Draws predators, coons especially.

Your probably right about that; wrong about the chopsuey though!

3/11/2012 12:23:18 AM Questions about Corn  

ladyeden
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,825)
Waynesville, MO
57, joined Apr. 2008

Make sure to get pole or climbing beans and not bush type. Generally you want to stagger corn planting by 2 weeks if you're doing sweet corn to eat fresh.

You can plant the pumpkin/squash in between the corn/bean hills. They're gonna have a really big spread, leave at least 3-4' between mounds. Regular squash 2' is fine. The main reason for squash in the 3-sisters approach is to provide ground cover to suffocate weeds out and hold moisture in the soil. Really, any kind of leafy sprawling growth THAT NEEDS SOME SHADING will serve the same purpose. Remember, the corn is going to have height and create some shade, that's where the squash benefits from the planting group. The more corn you plant the better pollination will be. At least 4 rows, though with the grouping in mounds it will help.

Something else you can do to keep weeds down and hold moisture is to put a single layer of regular newpaper down wet throughly and cover with hay, grass clippings, straw as mulch. Weed seeds need sunlight to germinate. All is bio degradable and improves the soil consistancy from year to year as a perk. Might want to soil test, chances are your nitrogen levels are going to be low for corn at least the first year. You ag extension office can run it for you for $20 and they can tell you what and how much you need. Chicken/turkey poop fertilizer has high levels that will really help you out the first year. Having your soil right will also help some with controlling weed growth. Rather than try to get the fertilizer rich all over the first year, just work it in heavy right in the mounds when you form them. Too, if the horse manure is too fresh it'll burn your plants. Lyme helps release the nutriants in the soil to be used by growth, usually do that in the fall to prep for the following season.

Don't like squash? Zuccini and yellow neck are also squashes. Spagetti squash you can actually use the "noodles" like you would spagetti. Butternut and similar squash is yummy if you sweeten with brown sugar, butter and cinnimon/pumpkin pie spice.

3/23/2012 3:10:24 AM Questions about Corn  
19gibson85
Varney, KY
32, joined Aug. 2011

If I'm making corn meal or hominy, I usually plant the white hickory cane. I usually plant around the last week in April or 1st of May. I use ammonia nitrate fertilizer, I broadcast it through the middle of the row and then hoe it around my corn, and make sure the fertilizer doesn't touch the corn, it'll burn it up in no time.

3/23/2012 9:40:59 AM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Planting some red flint corn this year too, red corn meal Another plot for eating corn. One farmer grows the hickory cane, another the silver queen. I like the heirlooms, good for seed stock. Love to eat some of the hybrids though, golden jubilee, peaches and cream

I use the A N fert too, usually trip 10 sometimes trip 15. I till it in then till once more. This year I have a spot tilled already for some cabbage, broc, spinach and what ever else can take a freeze.

Corn later. Hope it doesn't rain all spring again so a new plot can be plowed up.

If I plow a 3rd plot away from the rest also I have a packer of "Painted mountain" google it (not yourself you'll go blind) and see the colors. Very pretty corn and can be eaten too.

3/24/2012 12:24:02 AM Questions about Corn  
19gibson85
Varney, KY
32, joined Aug. 2011

I went and looked at that Painted Corn, very colorful!!! I raised some kind of ornamental corn one year, I didn't think you could eat it, I just thought it was for decoration..

3/24/2012 9:10:45 AM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

The guy in Montana or wherever came up with this one. I read about eating and they said it was good. Think at a certain time though. I have a coule ounces or so, grow it to try eating, decor, sell some, whatever Golden Jubilee, Hickory King, and a couple others to plant too.

3/24/2012 1:06:30 PM Questions about Corn  
19gibson85
Varney, KY
32, joined Aug. 2011

I usually plant Golden Queen, Silver Queen, or Candy Corn, Peaches and Cream is good too!!

3/24/2012 4:25:11 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

I almost always do peaches and cream, think some coming. Golden Jubilee is a good corn, big ears, dark yellow, creamy and very tasty (but hybrid). I grew it in WA 8 years running. Stalks 12 feet high

3/24/2012 6:52:28 PM Questions about Corn  
19gibson85
Varney, KY
32, joined Aug. 2011

This year I'm putting all mine in freezer bags, last year I put up 50 quarts and lost about 10 jars because they wouldn't seal, I usually do the cream style. I put up a little of the whole kernel for soups.

3/25/2012 9:53:45 AM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

I freeze mine too. Only thing in jars is pickled. However canned veggies, sauce, meat would be great if the freeze quit or prolonged power out.

3/25/2012 5:57:56 PM Questions about Corn  
19gibson85
Varney, KY
32, joined Aug. 2011

I've got a buddy that has some Golden Comets, he gave me six dozen fresh eggs, I may pickle some this evening. And speaking of pickled, I would like to get that way also..

3/30/2012 12:28:48 AM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from 19gibson85:
I've got a buddy that has some Golden Comets, he gave me six dozen fresh eggs, I may pickle some this evening. And speaking of pickled, I would like to get that way also..

Heck, me too! Got shine?

3/30/2012 1:12:35 AM Questions about Corn  
mitchell_gibson
Pikeville, KY
32, joined Mar. 2012

No but we need some, I can't find it around here anymore and when I do, it's higher than a cats back, 20 bucks a quart.

3/30/2012 9:07:48 AM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

$20 a qt is OK. Had some rye shine once but can't get to the maker.

3/30/2012 2:56:19 PM Questions about Corn  
mitchell_gibson
Pikeville, KY
32, joined Mar. 2012

I've never tried the rye..

3/30/2012 5:52:56 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

It was awesome, so smooth.

3/31/2012 2:01:40 AM Questions about Corn  
mitchell_gibson
Pikeville, KY
32, joined Mar. 2012

we'll have to try a quart, if we can find it..

or figure out how to make it ourselves..

[Edited 3/31/2012 2:02:04 AM ]

3/31/2012 1:28:36 PM Questions about Corn  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Guy brought it one night for a card game. He said he can walk right down to the shiners and fill his flask. Told him I wanted a gallon. Said, "ok, I can get it" Never has. I'm "still" waiting