Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

skipthegames

But I did not want to use these cliché words since we all know they never imply anything. craigslist del norte co Alternatively, going for a cup of coffee is way a lot more enjoyable. Given that I didn t ask guys out in genuine life I didn t want to do it on line either. russian girl who paints pictures of heaven Customize and adjust your character with sophisticated and equally charming outfits.

hookup madison wi

But by denying women autonomy over their bodies and sexual selections, they frequently ended up dehumanizing ladies who didn t reside up to their moral requirements. calgary hookup places I woke up with the worst hangover ever, not sure what had definitely occurred. I became extra confident with setting boundaries with folks I went on physical dates with and if the atmosphere of the date I was on felt off, I d be upfront about it. tosh o bizzy bone When it comes to dating apps, it can be difficult and taxing to weed out contenders and locate suitors with whom you are basically compatible.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

4/25/2012 12:33:45 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,261)
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

I've seen alot here regarding outdoor gardens, but not much if anything about indoor such as houseplants.. So we'll see how this goes..
I grew up around 3000 sq. ft. vegetable gardens my grandfather had tended, which led me to keep a vegetable garden for my own kids.. maybe 30x30, but it was fun..
Now I'm an apartment dweller an have again caught the houseplant hobby.
Not the best natural light here, so I've started with the old favorites..

Spiders.. Golden Ivy.. Genovese Basil.. just started the Lemon basil..
A tempermental Shamrock..
An English Ivy that was a gift- but an idiot relative poured a shot of vodka in it so half of it died and I've managed to bring the other half back..
Bamboo that's growing too fast so the son is taking to his place...

What are your favorites?
Your Must-haves?
Your Successes?
Your failures..

Thanks.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

4/25/2012 8:53:42 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

Spider plants
dracenia
peace lily
Christmas cactus that doesn't bloom. but that was another thread.
Yukka (sp?) long 2 inch wide spikes

My community has started a Community Garden where we sow stuff and the Salvation Army gets it at the season's end.
So I thought I would buy some corn and plant those. Finally I dug one of them up - they're in started pots - and it hasnt even started a root!!! Planted April 2, 2012...WTF
But I will keep trying.

4/25/2012 10:02:48 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

How are your spiders doing?
I'm getting brown tips, so now I'm leaving the water out
for 24 hours before using bc I read this will let the chemicals evaporate..
Time will tell..

I've been reading THIS forum for several days now, and have found quite a few web sites devoted to houseplants.. it truly Does get addictive..

A few years back, I had as many as 14 different plants going at once..
and when somebody complimented the spider, I'd pot them up a baby on the spot!

I'm now re-drawing the floor=plan for this new apartment so as to
make the best use of the light available..

Maybe I need a meeting.

As for your corn, Shawn from KY seems to know an awful lot about
vegetables.. all I know about corn is Boil, butter, salt, pepper, and Eat!

4/26/2012 9:41:25 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (19,331)
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Philodendron. Nice plants, easy to take care of. Share them by cutting off a few pieces 6-8" of a vine and just stick it right in moist potting soil, 100% success. Starts to get root bound, you can get a bigger pot or just cut many vines and start new. I have one over 30 years old.

Spiders love bathrooms.

I start avocado seeds, cool tree. I keep one or 2 and I keep giving the others away at 12"

Corn? Want an heirloom or a hybrid?

There are all kinds of good varieties but here are a few I like.

If you want to save seeds year to year, go heirloom and don't plant near another variety.

If you want eating corn and buy seed every year, Golden Jubilee is awesome good corn, so is peaches and cream (bi-color) Jub is big ears, golden yellow, juicy, stalks can hit 9 feet or more. Bi-color is smaller ears and stalks. Silver Queen is a popular sweet corn locally. Makes great cream corn.

Pretty corn? Painted Mountain (google it) (you can eat it too)

Cornmeal? Floriana red flint or any red flint.

Field corn is versatile. You "can" eat it but sweet corn is better, feed livestock or make hominy. Hickory King is popular.

4/26/2012 11:09:12 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Thanks for jumping in Shawn..

Any houseplant info you can add in here will be greatly appreciated.

4/26/2012 12:26:43 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
Thanks for jumping in Shawn..

Any houseplant info you can add in here will be greatly appreciated.

You're welcome. And all corn planters know the corn has to be "knee high by 4th of July" to really make it. I'll be planting fairly soon.

4/26/2012 8:34:16 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
pingponger
Over 4,000 Posts! (7,247)
Lewiston, MI
58, joined Jun. 2011

I have African violets and spiders comin out my ears.
2 things making this happen, I think. The east window and I fertize the spiders right along with the violet food, fact all my plants get a weekly dose of a.violet food and they are digin it.

I also started planting the new spider babies together, varigated along with non, not sure what will happen but they are growing like crazy.

I also have appx 80yr old jades, slow growers, but they are large and very heavy duty, each time I knock a leaf off or one falls, I just chuck it back in the pot, maybe half take off.

Rosemary and mosquito plants also in the windows, just waiting to head back outside. Love my Rosemary, every morning as I open the blinds, I run my hands thru them, what a great smell to wake to.

Before I moved out west, I had appx 65 plants, all types and sizes, gave all but 3 up. While in Tx, I grew MONSTER Boston ferns, sooooooooooooo hated leaving them behind. Would have never made the trip in the uhaul in Jan. Did bring back the orignal 3

4/26/2012 10:00:43 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Wow.. that's Alot of plants. And I thought I had alot when I was doing that..
Funny, I don't pick plants out.. I think they come to me, or stand out somehow when i walk through the store! (Kinda like the dog you pick at the pound.. oh, There you are!)

I think your spiders, being independent of each other will grow into a very interesting whole.

Jade is on the list, and the next plant I'll get. There's probably No stopping this now.
I was in my regular doctor's office and there was a rather sick looking Golden Ivy on the sill, and when the nurse came in to take my BP, she saw me messing with it..and we talked plants for 20 minutes.. I said "Ang, I'd like to see the plant in 3 weeks, please see the girl on your way out."
Same doctor office, different room, was a beautiful Jade plant about maybe a foot tall.. so I moved the chair over to the window to take a good look at it.. was very dry and i told the doc when he came in. (Doc's don't like being told Anything!)

Threw the Shamrock in the dumpster today.. all but a few had dropped and i saw a spider web and 100 tiny spiders.. so out the door. Luck of the Irish I guess..

4/29/2012 6:22:16 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
pingponger
Lewiston, MI
58, joined Jun. 2011

that pop caps and place them at the base of your plants, add a lil bleach, she'll hate the smell more then she hates cat nip.

4/29/2012 12:18:45 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Heading out today..

Hmmm.. Jade.. Philodendron..

Landlord stopped by yesterday to drop off some paint brochures..
Took a look at my kitchen window and said, "Now I know why you took the
bigger place with more windows."

4/29/2012 9:35:14 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Ended up being a Philodendron.. and a sad looking one at that.. I've always had good luck bringing stuff back..
Looked at the jades at Walmart.. ALL the ones I saw were filled to the brim with water, and the ones that were sitting in trays were also sitting in an inch or more of water..

Kinda disgusting, but that's big business I guess.

4/29/2012 11:16:44 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Philli can be saved. They live forever. Just cut and restart the good vines if they look poorly.

4/30/2012 1:40:55 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

I was thinking of what you said in a previous post about the phili
when i looked at it.. it's small and was only in 3" plastic..
Some brownish tipped ends on the larger leaves, and it was as dry as a bone.

I got it back here and cleaned it up, and repotted in a 6" clay pot
and gave it a good soak. Funny, but it seems that only mere hours later
it's stretched out somewhat and definitely looking better already..

How big do these things get Shawn?

4/30/2012 8:46:48 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
pingponger
Lewiston, MI
58, joined Jun. 2011

buying from a store can be cheap, I normally head for the cart that is ready to be chucked, BUT, they also carry knats, which in turn can head to your other plants at home.

When I am pickin thru the trash, I hold a plant I like to the lite, hold it there and wait, if I see tiny dots moving/flying, it goes back in the trash.
Just a tip I have discovered over the yrs.

4/30/2012 9:46:28 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
I was thinking of what you said in a previous post about the phili
when i looked at it.. it's small and was only in 3" plastic..
Some brownish tipped ends on the larger leaves, and it was as dry as a bone.

I got it back here and cleaned it up, and repotted in a 6" clay pot
and gave it a good soak. Funny, but it seems that only mere hours later
it's stretched out somewhat and definitely looking better already..

How big do these things get Shawn?

I don't let them get real huge, like a 10# pot then divide and repot if it starts to get rootbound or yellowing. The vines will travel though not that they bush out. I was in a pizza joint had one at either end of an arch about 12 feet apart and the vines met in the center and kept going. Give them something to climb on if you want them to do that.

4/30/2012 11:24:16 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

I've noticed that when I buy a plant from an 'indoor' place, such as a Supermarket, they are more likely to have some sort of bugs which travel from plant to plant..

When buying from say, Walmart- plants are treated for the most part as 'outdoor' and they suffer the abuses of whoever happens to be holding the hose that particular day..

But even if none of the above were happening, the soil that we re-pot in holds the eggs of bugs that we will see in a matter of days anyway..

Anybody have a sure-fire way of getting rid of these bugs? When I found a bug yesterday morning in my coffee(!) i put out a small saucer of water with a few drops of dish soap in it, and it seemed to get a few of them.. It's NOT that they drank alot of the coffee, but he jumped into my FIRST cup.. and NOBODY does that!

4/30/2012 4:50:42 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
pingponger
Lewiston, MI
58, joined Jun. 2011

Try small dishes of vineger and sugar combo. close to your plants.

5/1/2012 12:20:08 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from pingponger:
Try small dishes of vineger and sugar combo. close to your plants.

I blast em with windex, ruins their day Doesn't get the eggs though.

5/1/2012 12:20:49 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Sugar and vinegar..sounds interesting. I'll give it a try and let you
know how I make out.. thank you Ping.

Shawn, I saw much the same thing when I visited a Pizza place.
There was some type of a 24" urn looking thing with vines coming from it and growing along the fake wooden beams on the ceiling. The vines were maybe a dozen feet long, and caked with grease and dust, making them look extremely unhealthy. I felt bad for them!

I was dating a girl several years back and as we were walking to my car, she said we had to stop at her girlfriend's condo a few doors down. Introductions made, I saw that in her front window, she had a fishnet of sorts where the curtain would be and TIED in the middle of the net was an English Ivy, in it's original 6" pot and having vines that were maybe 10 feet long PAPER CLIPPED to the net! there were roots coming a good 4 inches from the bottom of the pot, and when we closed the door upon entering the house, a Shower of leaves fell from the vines. I offered to 'fix' the plant and to bring her a 10 or 12" clay pot I had at the house, saying that in an hour or so, she'd have a healthy plant as I had the Miracle Grow potting mix and I could take the dead leaves off etc.

Rule #1 when dealing with people you just met. Never tell them that you know more than they do about plants. She declined my offer saying the plant was 'perfectly fine' where it was and as it was. She later told the girlfriend I should keep my opinions to myself!

5/1/2012 5:38:30 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
Sugar and vinegar..sounds interesting. I'll give it a try and let you
know how I make out.. thank you Ping.

Shawn, I saw much the same thing when I visited a Pizza place.
There was some type of a 24" urn looking thing with vines coming from it and growing along the fake wooden beams on the ceiling. The vines were maybe a dozen feet long, and caked with grease and dust, making them look extremely unhealthy. I felt bad for them!

I was dating a girl several years back and as we were walking to my car, she said we had to stop at her girlfriend's condo a few doors down. Introductions made, I saw that in her front window, she had a fishnet of sorts where the curtain would be and TIED in the middle of the net was an English Ivy, in it's original 6" pot and having vines that were maybe 10 feet long PAPER CLIPPED to the net! there were roots coming a good 4 inches from the bottom of the pot, and when we closed the door upon entering the house, a Shower of leaves fell from the vines. I offered to 'fix' the plant and to bring her a 10 or 12" clay pot I had at the house, saying that in an hour or so, she'd have a healthy plant as I had the Miracle Grow potting mix and I could take the dead leaves off etc.

Rule #1 when dealing with people you just met. Never tell them that you know more than they do about plants. She declined my offer saying the plant was 'perfectly fine' where it was and as it was. She later told the girlfriend I should keep my opinions to myself!

I used to work in Warwick at ABCO welding supply. Buddys family owns them all. The pizza joint I saw this philo arch at was in Maine though. It didn't look to greasy but was 30 feet from the oven too. Looked darn healthy actually.

That poor ivy! I had some super creeper ivys. Nice plants. I just spiked my philodendron with foo spikes, and advocado. Probably just make it get root bound faster. If the plant had it's way it would want to be potted in the bathtub.

5/1/2012 7:24:01 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

If you can, Shawn, post some pics of your plants here..
and other folks too if interested..

I have NO computer skills to do that stuff..
ALMOST couldn't post my profile pic.

5/2/2012 9:55:34 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
If you can, Shawn, post some pics of your plants here..
and other folks too if interested..

I have NO computer skills to do that stuff..
ALMOST couldn't post my profile pic.

"Otay" Remember Buckwheat?

If you want to post pics sign up for photobucket. Upload is easy, then click the code and past it here. So easy even I can do it

5/2/2012 11:13:22 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Lost you at 'Sign up'..

DH..YouTube etc.. I'm good.
Anything else.. doesn't happen.
I'm That bad.

5/5/2012 10:05:26 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

re charlieh420:
my spiders are doing 'ok'.
Had a flood in my place so the restorers came in to fix things up. During the first part, they managed to kill my ficus in only 9 days that i was gone.
So I took baby spiders - one of each kind - and put them in the top of a 2L bottle of pop. (Is that a gallon in your language?) The 'mother' plants I tossed outside. The bottle was filled with water.
Somebody pulled them out and left them on the counter.
So stuck them back in the water and altho very floppy, they are at least not turning brown.

My living room / dining room looks like a greenhouse! 62 corn seedlings, watermelon, peppers, shallots, onions, morning glories, sweet peas, beans, and some others are awaiting the warmer weather to go outside. This is so neat!!!
I will be giving a lot of the corn seedlings away.
The garlic has over-wintered and I will wait until maybe July to see how it is doing. My onions will be inter-planted with it.
Happy growing to all!

5/5/2012 10:17:33 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
pingponger
Lewiston, MI
58, joined Jun. 2011

A lil tidbit for those who are rerooting plants by h20. Add proxide to the water, 1 Tbl per qt. the water doesnt get all smelly, kills the bacteria, also good for fresh cut flowers, makes them last twice as long.

Change water, every 3-4 days............

5/5/2012 11:27:09 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from sierratoo:
re charlieh420:
my spiders are doing 'ok'.
Had a flood in my place so the restorers came in to fix things up. During the first part, they managed to kill my ficus in only 9 days that i was gone.
So I took baby spiders - one of each kind - and put them in the top of a 2L bottle of pop. (Is that a gallon in your language?) The 'mother' plants I tossed outside. The bottle was filled with water.
Somebody pulled them out and left them on the counter.
So stuck them back in the water and altho very floppy, they are at least not turning brown.

My living room / dining room looks like a greenhouse! 62 corn seedlings, watermelon, peppers, shallots, onions, morning glories, sweet peas, beans, and some others are awaiting the warmer weather to go outside. This is so neat!!!
I will be giving a lot of the corn seedlings away.
The garlic has over-wintered and I will wait until maybe July to see how it is doing. My onions will be inter-planted with it.
Happy growing to all!

I hate when things like that happen. I would have had more than a few words for the restorers! Spiders should come back fine, I hope, for you. How large and how long had you had the ficus? Sounds like you have plenty of space outside for gardening. I saw a video on YouTube regarding Japanese Maples..(buying rooted cuttings and keeping to sell in various stages of growth from $5-$80.) i would imagine that someone with ample space could make enough money to pay for their entire hobby, and maybe even turn a profit..

5/7/2012 3:13:53 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Phili has (make that had) 2 yellow leaves just above the root ball that were laying directly on the soil. I hope I'm not keeping it too wet. Thing dried out, I watered, and then the leaves turned yellow in 2 or 3 days.

5/7/2012 4:05:25 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Yup, I get a yellow sometimes. Usually when it needs replanting. But sometimes I just get one and could be water.

5/9/2012 1:12:39 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Found a cool site which I'm sure many of you know already..

Garden Web.. I was up til 4am(!) reading through the Houseplant forums..
Some interesting stuff in there.. pics etc..

Lots of stuff for you outdoor people too.

5/9/2012 3:05:31 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
pingponger
Lewiston, MI
58, joined Jun. 2011

Quote from charlieh420:
Phili has (make that had) 2 yellow leaves just above the root ball that were laying directly on the soil. I hope I'm not keeping it too wet. Thing dried out, I watered, and then the leaves turned yellow in 2 or 3 days.

try watering from the base only. Let it take in what it needs.

5/10/2012 11:43:51 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

I looked up the forum in Garden Web last night and the previous night to find exactly how to care for different plants.. of course I got too interested in the reading and didnt take a single note..

5/22/2012 2:28:43 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Do any of you folks know anything about salt buildup on clay pots?

Why does it do it?
Harmful to plants?
Repot?

Where's Doctor Shawn?

6/29/2012 5:00:02 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

danceless
Milton, WA
65, joined Jun. 2012

Don't forget the miracle grow and of course plants do like music.

6/29/2012 10:26:22 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

7/14/2012 11:58:12 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

Quote from shawnee_b:
I blast em with windex, ruins their day Doesn't get the eggs though.

I use hairspray cause I didn't know what else to do!

7/15/2012 10:28:13 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from danceless:
Don't forget the miracle grow and of course plants do like music.

After bringing home a bunch of plants, I repotted with Miracle Grow.. then started reading on Garden Web about different soils.. Most people say that MG is the Worst thing you can do for your plants.. too much compaction, and it breaks down after several months.. Looks like before the fall, I'll be at it again..

Shawn! cant imagine how busy you must be.. how's it going?

Sierra! Did your Spiders come back hon?

7/16/2012 1:46:40 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

Yes, my spider plants are making it!!!Yea.

...Well, at least they haven't withered and turned brown. Thanks for those words of encouragement. Otherwise I might have been tempted to toss them without giving them too much of a chance.

Cheers!

7/16/2012 1:59:16 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Congratulations on that! I've brought back some plants from near disaster, but with the different light at this apartment, I'm having to do things differently..

I should add to the Miracle grow comment above that it retains water to the point that in some cases promotes root rot..

A guy on one site uses MG African Violet Mix exclusively for all his plants, and swears by it..

Of course, I also added a Jade and Aloe which have their own temperments and schedules and don't like to be wet at all.. 10-12 days btw waterings..
The Spider, I put in a self-watering pot, in MG mix, leaving the water out for 24 hours so the chemicals can evaporate, and it's not doing well at all..

Clearly a case of point and shoot without aiming first!

7/18/2012 4:32:46 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from sierratoo:
I use hairspray cause I didn't know what else to do!

So they bug around with fancy doos?

7/18/2012 4:33:42 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
Congratulations on that! I've brought back some plants from near disaster, but with the different light at this apartment, I'm having to do things differently..

I should add to the Miracle grow comment above that it retains water to the point that in some cases promotes root rot..

A guy on one site uses MG African Violet Mix exclusively for all his plants, and swears by it..

Of course, I also added a Jade and Aloe which have their own temperments and schedules and don't like to be wet at all.. 10-12 days btw waterings..
The Spider, I put in a self-watering pot, in MG mix, leaving the water out for 24 hours so the chemicals can evaporate, and it's not doing well at all..

Clearly a case of point and shoot without aiming first!

I have been putting those Jobe spikes in the pots. Plants doing very good on it too.

7/22/2012 12:11:19 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from shawnee_b:
I have been putting those Jobe spikes in the pots. Plants doing very good on it too.

I looked at those yesterday, but Garden Web forums advise against spikes in general bc they're not uniform as to feeding..

Ended up with the MG powder.. weak mix with every watering.. old habits die hard.

Also saw some 3 foot Sans at Walmart yesterday for 12 bucks.. all healthy.

7/27/2012 1:22:32 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

Quote from charlieh420:
I looked at those yesterday, but Garden Web forums advise against spikes in general bc they're not uniform as to feeding..

Ended up with the MG powder.. weak mix with every watering.. old habits die hard.

They were still healthy because they probably just arrived!

7/28/2012 5:40:37 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:

Makes sense since they have to dissolve some. Seem to be working better than when I didn't use any though

7/29/2012 10:05:27 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

I think they Had just arrived because they were for the most part, still Dry as compared to the Water World of all the other plants there..taking a ride over today to see what's new there..

The way I read it Shawn, was that the spikes concentrate the feeding to one area as they break down, leading to root burning etc., and I've seen it happen in that English Ivy I've had for a few years.. ugly as hell.. now it's just a stock plant.
The MG powder I've been using for years. I put one scoop from the small end of the spoon to a gallon of water.. can't use on the succulents tho'..

Breaking up a small jade today to let dry out before doing the Bonsai thing to it.. just have to find a fast-draining medium...

NICE TO SEE THAT LITTLE CUTIE ON YOUR ARM...
I guess you're plowing all day And Night now!

7/30/2012 5:55:55 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

Quote from shawnee_b:
So they bug around with fancy doos?

puts 'starch' in their wings!!!

7/30/2012 5:58:33 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

sierratoo
Grande Prairie, AB
63, joined Dec. 2008

Quote from charlieh420:
I think they Had just arrived because they were for the most part, still Dry as compared to the Water World of all the other plants there..taking a ride over today to see what's new there..

The way I read it Shawn, was that the spikes concentrate the feeding to one area as they break down, leading to root burning etc., and I've seen it happen in that English Ivy I've had for a few years.. ugly as hell.. now it's just a stock plant.
The MG powder I've been using for years. I put one scoop from the small end of the spoon to a gallon of water.. can't use on the succulents tho'..

Breaking up a small jade today to let dry out before doing the Bonsai thing to it.. just have to find a fast-draining medium...

...ok, so where or what is RI?

7/30/2012 11:54:23 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from sierratoo:
...ok, so where or what is RI?

Rhode Island is in Southern New England on the Atlantic Ocean

We have some of the highest rents in the country..

Coupled with being the 2nd highest in the country for Unemployment!

State motto: "Mobsters and Lobsters"

7/31/2012 10:12:55 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:

Thank you. She lives here now Yup, lots of plowing.

Lots of work here. Produce is getting about heavy enough for market now. Have to talk to the people run it and see about getting in. First chicken egg yesterday too, right at 4 months old.

7/31/2012 10:14:07 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:

Rhode Island is in Southern New England on the Atlantic Ocean

We have some of the highest rents in the country..

Coupled with being the 2nd highest in the country for Unemployment!

State motto: "Mobsters and Lobsters"

And when CT had a 21 drinking age and RI an 18 age we made the 18 mile trip quite often

8/15/2012 9:55:47 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from shawnee_b:
And when CT had a 21 drinking age and RI an 18 age we made the 18 mile trip quite often

For awhile, we were hitting that liquor store on the RI/CT border on Route 6..
Either First chance or Last chance, something like that.. they were good for Sunday morning Beer and Ice!

8/16/2012 9:21:36 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
For awhile, we were hitting that liquor store on the RI/CT border on Route 6..
Either First chance or Last chance, something like that.. they were good for Sunday morning Beer and Ice!

I can't remember exactly where. That was 39 years ago when I was 18! I think we hit it right off 95, maybe on rt 2.

8/17/2012 8:34:57 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

You wouldn't recognize Rt.2 today! Wall-to-wall retail.
Unusable after Thanksgiving because of the shoppers..

OT: Something I came across on another site for a potting mix..
It's a fast-draining mix which is much better for the roots of your plants
and due to the large particles, it's impossible to overwater.

All credit due to Al Tapla over at Garden Web.

5-1-1 Mix

5 parts pine or fir bark (I bought Repti-bark at a pet store)
1 part Perlite
1 part peat-based soil (basic bagged mix)

Being 85% non-organic it won't compact and break down, thereby letting
roots breathe. A little more work than a straight bagged mix due to the more
frequent watering, but good for a hands-on person..

Just started transferring things over so no results yet
yet the science behind it, makes perfect sense..

8/17/2012 4:27:02 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
You wouldn't recognize Rt.2 today! Wall-to-wall retail.
Unusable after Thanksgiving because of the shoppers..

OT: Something I came across on another site for a potting mix..
It's a fast-draining mix which is much better for the roots of your plants
and due to the large particles, it's impossible to overwater.

All credit due to Al Tapla over at Garden Web.

5-1-1 Mix

5 parts pine or fir bark (I bought Repti-bark at a pet store)
1 part Perlite
1 part peat-based soil (basic bagged mix)

Being 85% non-organic it won't compact and break down, thereby letting
roots breathe. A little more work than a straight bagged mix due to the more
frequent watering, but good for a hands-on person..

Just started transferring things over so no results yet
yet the science behind it, makes perfect sense..

I don't even recognize New England anymore! Went back to Waterford 5 years ago to see Mom and Sis, very different.

Soil mix sounds good. I been using a big bag mix for tobacco seedlings, drains pretty good but perlite or vermiculum would help for sure.

9/16/2012 5:23:38 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Hi guys..
Autumn/Winter is approaching and I'm wondering
what you folks do in preparation for it in regard
to your houseplants? Tips/Tricks?

Conflicting Information all over the net..

Dormancy/watering etc.

Shawn

Sierra

How's the yield this year Shawn?
Worth all your efforts?

9/16/2012 7:11:44 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
Hi guys..
Autumn/Winter is approaching and I'm wondering
what you folks do in preparation for it in regard
to your houseplants? Tips/Tricks?

Conflicting Information all over the net..

Dormancy/watering etc.

Shawn

Sierra

How's the yield this year Shawn?
Worth all your efforts?

I don't do anything different with the plants. They get year round fun

Thanks for asking. Wasn't worth the effort. Probably 75% bust. I did get some good melons, peppers of all kinds, okra did great. Drought, extreme heat and bugs hit hard.

9/19/2012 4:34:45 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from shawnee_b:
I don't do anything different with the plants. They get year round fun

Thanks for asking. Wasn't worth the effort. Probably 75% bust. I did get some good melons, peppers of all kinds, okra did great. Drought, extreme heat and bugs hit hard.

Sorry to hear that.. I think everybody got hurt in the drought this year..
Ever think of growing out some nursery stock?
Might pay you for your time in a bust year..
Google Mike McGroarty.. I saw him years ago in Mother Earth mag
and now he's all over the net..
Grows plants til mature, then takes a few hundred cuttings from them and
grows them out.. gets $5.00 per gallon pot, in his driveway..

Does the same with Japanese maples..
Buys young stock for 75 cents per slip..
Throws them in the ground.. sells in all stages of growth..
$5.00-$80.00 for mature..

1000 of those guys could make up for a lean couple of years..
There's at Least your next pick-up in it for ya..
Just make it a Chevy dammit!

9/20/2012 8:12:46 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
cupocheer
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (286,126)
Assumption, IL
68, joined May. 2010

Most plants can be grown indoors if their environment is conducive to growing.

Start with a temperate location...

Utilize a 'tanning lightbulb' (on a timer/plants must have rest time) to simulate sunlight...

Properly feed, water, prune and fertilize plants for healthier growth...

Plants are a natural air purifier, therefore helping in air quality in the home during 'closed in' months...

I have many favorites ... some very large ... some tiny: massive Peace lily (which I devide and repot in the spring), and ornamental onion, 2 huge palm trees, many vining plants, violets, orchids ... the list goes on and on ...

... herbs and some vegetables, can be grown year round indoors (including tomatoes)

House plants do like attention. They do seem to respond to music and being talked to.

Enjoy your houseplants. They just keeping on giving if taken care of properly.

9/20/2012 4:26:46 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:
Sorry to hear that.. I think everybody got hurt in the drought this year..
Ever think of growing out some nursery stock?
Might pay you for your time in a bust year..
Google Mike McGroarty.. I saw him years ago in Mother Earth mag
and now he's all over the net..
Grows plants til mature, then takes a few hundred cuttings from them and
grows them out.. gets $5.00 per gallon pot, in his driveway..

Does the same with Japanese maples..
Buys young stock for 75 cents per slip..
Throws them in the ground.. sells in all stages of growth..
$5.00-$80.00 for mature..

1000 of those guys could make up for a lean couple of years..
There's at Least your next pick-up in it for ya..
Just make it a Chevy dammit!

Thanks. I'll hit it hard again next year and hope for the best. Yes I considered nursery stock. I get Mikes newsletter and it does sound like a good way to make some bucks. Love to have a nice big hoophouse!

9/22/2012 8:10:49 AM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  
charlieh420
Warwick, RI
57, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from cupocheer:
Most plants can be grown indoors if their environment is conducive to growing.

Start with a temperate location...

Utilize a 'tanning lightbulb' (on a timer/plants must have rest time) to simulate sunlight...

Properly feed, water, prune and fertilize plants for healthier growth...

Plants are a natural air purifier, therefore helping in air quality in the home during 'closed in' months...

I have many favorites ... some very large ... some tiny: massive Peace lily (which I devide and repot in the spring), and ornamental onion, 2 huge palm trees, many vining plants, violets, orchids ... the list goes on and on ...

... herbs and some vegetables, can be grown year round indoors (including tomatoes)

House plants do like attention. They do seem to respond to music and being talked to.

Enjoy your houseplants. They just keeping on giving if taken care of properly.

Hi Cup!

The last time I sang to my plants, the Aloe grabbed one of the
vines from the Pothos and swung across the room to get away!

What type of vining plants do you have?
My Jades are waking up now and showing some growth while the rest
of my plants are sort of winding down! keeps me on my toes..

Whats your choice of potting mix? I'm now using a 5-1-1 (see upthread)
which lets alot of air move around, and it's Impossible to overwater..

Shawn.. how's the garlic? Is that a Long-term thing?

9/22/2012 7:24:13 PM Houseplants= What=Where=When=Why  

shawnee_b
Edmonton, KY
63, joined Apr. 2010

Quote from charlieh420:

Shawn.. how's the garlic? Is that a Long-term thing?

Yep, plant it every year now. This will be my 3rd year. I'll plant a good bit of it but with a heavy mulch and less varieties, had 14 and 4-6 this year. I'll mulch real good with Ruth Stouts system, where I did this year worked nice.