Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

private delight login

He also lived not as well far away which was a bonus as well. hookup rochester mn I d had a lot of terrible dates and three failed engagements, so I d decided males had been extra for recreation I could develop my family by way of adoption. Thanks to a friendly competition, Toby focused on matching with as numerous girls as feasible within a 24 hour period. usasexguide fort myers I woke up with the worst hangover ever, not confident what had genuinely happened.

free hookup apps that work

Thanks to these romantic platforms, you can scroll by means of a pool of potential partners on your telephone, seeking for the perfect date. palm springs single ladies He met his cruising companion only following he got his boat or they based their partnership on the plan to go cruising. Given that then, we ve released nine songs on Spotify beneath our artist name DognDust. mia_francisss onlyfans He is embalmed in my memories as a guy who headed to Tulum at the pandemic s height, texting me sunset photos from a faraway beach.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

I know, right? I love stuff like that.

I've always been a tom boy.

12/18/2014 8:05:53 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

mustangwriter
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (22,399)
Boerne, TX
55, joined Nov. 2009

Ever give a holiday gift to someone only to be dismayed by their reaction?

There was this gal I dated a few Christmases ago and I bought her son a remote control helicopter.
I'm not talking about one of those $400 remote helicopters... but one for around $50. I mean the kid was only 8.
He seemed happy, but later she said his cousin (who obviously knows remote control helicopters ) told him it was a 'cheap one'.
I knew it wasn't expensive... but I was both surprised and turned off that she chose to tell me her nephews opinion of my gift.

Can't anyone just be gracious and just accept a gift anymore?

Has this happened to anyone else with their past holiday gift giving?

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

12/18/2014 8:10:10 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
jlyinc
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,660)
Tucson, AZ
32, joined Nov. 2014

Thankfully I've never had that issue. Even when I'm broke and can't get people what I really want to get them, they are still very appreciative of whatever I am able to get them.

12/18/2014 8:10:37 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

driver406
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (48,411)
Saint Paul, MN
64, joined Oct. 2009

I agree with you OP but everyone is extremely self centered these days so it seems insulting I guess. It certainly teaches you not to give presents if they can't show anymore appreciation than that. They really don't deserve anything after a reaction like that. She broke up with you soon after I assume?

12/18/2014 8:11:06 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
rainydaze26
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (12,626)
Columbus, OH
51, joined Nov. 2013

My philosophy is, "give 100% & expect 0" that way you're never let down & always happy with what you've done.

12/18/2014 8:11:50 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

driver406
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (48,411)
Saint Paul, MN
64, joined Oct. 2009

As they should be, Jen! You've been blessed that way.

Got down to Chan today.

12/18/2014 8:12:25 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
jlyinc
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,660)
Tucson, AZ
32, joined Nov. 2014

Quote from driver406:
As they should be, Jen! You've been blessed that way.

Got down to Chan today.

I was there for a bit, too today.

12/18/2014 8:17:42 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

mustangwriter
Boerne, TX
55, joined Nov. 2009

Quote from driver406:
She broke up with you soon after I assume?

I was so taken back with her need to 'tell me' what her nephew said...that it became a red flag that was hard to overcome. I often try and understand a person's need to say or repeat things and I thought she was echoing her nephews comments...because they were her own.
I thought it best to let the relationship fizzle out and fade away.

I also bought another gal a first printing book signed by her favorite author.
She later murmurred...I really wanted a camera.

I told THAT one...sell the book and buy you a camera.

[Edited 12/18/2014 8:18:46 PM ]

12/18/2014 8:18:37 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
numbersor_only
Over 1,000 Posts (1,877)
Austin, TX
56, joined Nov. 2014

I react the same way as I react to everything else in life. I find a dating site to complain about it.

12/18/2014 8:22:15 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

micheleisgreat
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,350)
Pittsburgh, PA
53, joined Nov. 2013

Quote from mustangwriter:
I was so taken back with her need to 'tell me' what her nephew said...that it became a red flag that was hard to overcome. I often try and understand a person's need to say or repeat things and I thought she was echoing her nephews comments...because they were her own.
I thought it best to let the relationship fizzle out and fade away.

I also bought another gal a first printing book signed by her favorite author.
She later murmurred...I really wanted a camera.

I told THAT one...sell the book and buy you a camera.

That was a very thoughtful gift and if she didn't appreciate it, then she didn't deserve you!

[Edited 12/18/2014 8:23:24 PM ]

12/18/2014 8:46:38 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
monarch50
Over 1,000 Posts (1,182)
Streamwood, IL
51, joined Apr. 2014

$50 is a lot of money to me. That was a very generous gift.

I can't remember if I've ever had that type of experience.

I'm a true believer of, it's the thought that counts. My mom taught me that at a very young age and it has always stuck.

12/18/2014 9:05:48 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

machug59
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (18,588)
Fairfield, CA
95, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from monarch50:
$50 is a lot of money to me. That was a very generous gift.

I can't remember if I've ever had that type of experience.

I'm a true believer of, it's the thought that counts. My mom taught me that at a very young age and it has always stuck.

I was taught that also. I have taught that to my children too.

12/18/2014 9:09:33 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
monarch50
Over 1,000 Posts (1,182)
Streamwood, IL
51, joined Apr. 2014

Quote from machug59:
I was taught that also. I have taught that to my children too.

I taught my kids as well. They have always made me do proud. So appreciative of the smallest thing.

12/18/2014 9:12:14 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

machug59
Fairfield, CA
95, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from monarch50:
I taught my kids as well. They have always made me do proud. So appreciative of the smallest thing.

You are a good mom, it's wonderful to know our children do HEAR us when we speak.

Merry Christmas, lovely lady.

12/18/2014 9:13:16 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
walt_hallow
Over 4,000 Posts! (7,077)
Lexington, KY
62, joined Nov. 2014

People that don't appreciate the gifts I give them means I'll save money next year

12/18/2014 9:13:28 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

mary__me
Over 1,000 Posts (1,649)
Lake City, AR
53, joined Mar. 2014

Some of us actually appreciate the thought behind the gift.

12/18/2014 9:14:01 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
monarch50
Over 1,000 Posts (1,182)
Streamwood, IL
51, joined Apr. 2014

Quote from machug59:
You are a good mom, it's wonderful to know our children do HEAR us when we speak.

Merry Christmas, lovely lady.

Merry Christmas beautiful Mom.

12/18/2014 9:16:58 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

fishnthec
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (21,914)
Mesquite, TX
64, joined Oct. 2010

My daughter has four sons. She told me here the other day "Dad, quit spending your money on all those expensive gifts every birthday and Christmas, as you are starting to spoil them".

She said the best gift you ever gave them was that package of paper airplanes to fold up that I bought at the Half Price Book Store for less than $10.

She said the boys play with those things every day for hours on end.

But I still feel like until they all have their own guitars and amps and fishing and camping gear, I haven't stamped my brand on them yet!

12/18/2014 9:19:18 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (16,692)
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

Even a $5 gift from someone who isn't quite family would have been a fabulous amount when I was growing up, and not something to be sneered at.

A lot of times, I was lucky to get anything but hand-me-down clothes, a card, and a cake for my birthday even from close family members, and turning your nose up at even that just wasn't done.

But, I think the world has changed a lot since the 1970's and early 1980's. A different economy, a different generation, a different mindset, a different world.

In any event, even as an adult I could have a blast with a $50 helicopter, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun to me.

12/18/2014 9:24:18 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
monarch50
Over 1,000 Posts (1,182)
Streamwood, IL
51, joined Apr. 2014

In any event, even as an adult I could have a blast with a $50 helicopter, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun to me.
12/18/2014 9:26:19 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

lovethelake17
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (34,511)
Henderson, NV
57, joined May. 2009

Not a Christmas gift thing, but what you said reminded me...

...my late husband's partner's wife once "laughingly" told me that her son and his friends referred to our neighborhood as the slums of the suburb in which we all lived. We lived in a relatively affluent suburb, in a nice part of it, but not as nice as the part where they lived. (However, my husband supported hers in their lifestyle, and later he defrauded us of a large sum of money. My inner nasty person hopes that they've been reduced to living in a real slum.)

In any case, I always wondered about her need to let me know what her son said, and why she didn't feel the need to correct him. It really changed my opinion of them.

I could never tell someone their gift wasn't right. I have never had someone tell me that, though, one year I gave my cousin a really ugly Christmas decoration (meant to be a joke. I got her something else, too.) She gave it back the next year. I thought she did it on purpose, but she just forgot who gave it to her when she regifted. So, of course, she got it back the next Christmas.

12/18/2014 9:26:31 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from fishnthec:
...She said the best gift you ever gave them was that package of paper airplanes to fold up that I bought at the Half Price Book Store for less than $10.

She said the boys play with those things every day for hours on end....

That's awesome, and there could be a lot of truth to that - my brother and I in the 1970's and early '80's could have squeezed many, many hours more fun out of a few cardboard boxes, some cheap Green Army Guys, a few cheap Matchbox car clones, and maybe some bottle caps and pine cones, than we could have with something really expensive....

12/18/2014 9:29:00 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

fishnthec
Mesquite, TX
64, joined Oct. 2010

I saw a $350 helicopter at Fry's Electronics the other day that I was tempted to buy just for me!

12/18/2014 9:30:06 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
4uijack
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,286)
New Port Richey, FL
81, joined Aug. 2013

I have a similar story about an ex wife. The kids and I went shopping for all those shiny pieces of jewelry, about a half dozen pieces, and strategically placed them around the tree. On Christmas day we began teasing her with one after the other til there was only one left. She couldn't hold her tongue and blurted out " why did you waste your money on all these things and get me the ring I really wanted"!You talk about a kick in the nuts! Guess what the last gift was? She soon became my EX wife!!!

12/18/2014 9:31:42 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

lovethelake17
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (34,511)
Henderson, NV
57, joined May. 2009

I remember when I was a kid playing with Barbies, that the furniture was usually shoe boxes and other kinds of things around the house. My aunt would make the bedding to turn shoe boxes into beds, or into couches. She'd make shades for thread spools and turn them into lamps.

They could have bought plastic Barbie furniture, but that we made that stuff together and figured out how to do it was much more fun.

12/18/2014 9:32:54 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from 4uijack:
I have a similar story about an ex wife. The kids and I went shopping for all those shiny pieces of jewelry, about a half dozen pieces, and strategically placed them around the tree. On Christmas day we began teasing her with one after the other til there was only one left. She couldn't hold her tongue and blurted out " why did you waste your money on all these things and get me the ring I really wanted"!You talk about a kick in the nuts! Guess what the last gift was? She soon became my EX wife!!!

Ouch! Stories like that, and the OP's, it just hurts to read them. I'm so sorry

12/18/2014 9:35:01 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

machug59
Fairfield, CA
95, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from lovethelake17:
I remember when I was a kid playing with Barbies, that the furniture was usually shoe boxes and other kinds of things around the house. My aunt would make the bedding to turn shoe boxes into beds, or into couches. She'd make shades for thread spools and turn them into lamps.

They could have bought plastic Barbie furniture, but that we made that stuff together and figured out how to do it was much more fun.

I did the same thing!!! It was a lot more fun. My grandma crocheted a lot of my Barbies clothes. I loved them.

12/18/2014 9:40:51 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

fishnthec
Mesquite, TX
64, joined Oct. 2010

My ex-wife used to tickle me by bringing something home from work she bought at Macy's with her discount and putting it on our credit card- and saying "This is what you are giving me for my birthday OK? She was a cuty!

12/18/2014 9:43:52 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from lovethelake17:

Exactly - there was a bit of something magic on one hand in making things yourself, and on the other in that moment where someone else points at something ordinary and essentially says "if you look at it just right, this could actually be something cool in disguise!" Put those things together....

My parents were the same way, about things like thread spools, Styrofoam packing, the cardboard rolls that masking tape or wrapping paper comes on, and so on... anything could become a cool toy, when you looked at it the right way.

[Edited 12/18/2014 9:45:27 PM ]

12/18/2014 9:51:05 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

How do you react?

Oh, yeah, and as for how I react...

It would hit me somewhere between that surreal feeling that the world has gone made around me, and slowly accepting the realization that I have nothing in common with the receiver.

I'll try to find a polite way out of that social situation, and arrange to put the greatest practical distance between myself and the receiver, so that I won't have to interact with him/her again unless I absolutely have to.

I mean, I can't really think of any common ground between me and someone like that, or any way to relate to them.

[Edited 12/18/2014 9:52:28 PM ]

12/18/2014 9:52:22 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

hippo65
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,028)
Albuquerque, NM
50, joined Apr. 2013
online now!

I say a gift worth $50 dollars for an 8 years old sounds pretty good.
And I would have reacted a same way you did.

12/18/2014 11:35:30 PM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
mindya
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (22,323)
Bird in Hand, PA
63, joined Jan. 2009

Quote from chris_90352:
That's awesome, and there could be a lot of truth to that - my brother and I in the 1970's and early '80's could have squeezed many, many hours more fun out of a few cardboard boxes, some cheap Green Army Guys, a few cheap Matchbox car clones, and maybe some bottle caps and pine cones, than we could have with something really expensive....

You were lucky....

12/19/2014 12:11:28 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
ladiebugg55
Over 2,000 Posts (2,680)
Redding, CA
60, joined Jun. 2012

My husband was like that..if he got something he didn't want or like, he'd let you know..it's hurtful..

12/19/2014 1:19:29 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

beverduster
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (55,951)
La Feria, TX
51, joined Apr. 2008

give that little snot a chocolate covered dog turd this year

12/19/2014 1:40:06 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

forsyth4
Fort Payne, AL
30, joined Nov. 2014

Quote from ladiebugg55:
My husband was like that..if he got something he didn't want or like, he'd let you know..it's hurtful..
u should give his friends blow jobs

12/19/2014 2:36:03 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
artokol
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,388)
Vaubecourt
France
97, joined Nov. 2014

I remember as a very young kid around 6-7 I went to my friends house to see what he got on Christmas morning and he was sitting in his veranda almost frozen crying, all he got was underwear and was almost suicidal...wanted to kill everyone in sight and started breaking things only to get a beaten. The mother was insane though, if any cat would go in her garden she'd spray him with turpentine and set him on fire laughing...ironically her younger son one day saw a bottle of turpentine on the floor in the living room and drank it thinking it's wine almost destroying his esophagus. My friend turned into another Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski eventually only not at such a grand scale and hurt a lot of people. So, I agree, a nice gift is better than no gift regardless of the cost if it's sincere and very expensive ones usually have no affection or love attached to it depending on people...as long as the recipient is happy who cares and that everyone gets equal treatment. My friend got nothing really although he was good kid to begin with and yet his brothers and sisters got much better traditional gifts. I even gave him a few of mine...it wasn't enough and always remembered.

12/19/2014 3:15:55 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
happylauren
Over 2,000 Posts (3,682)
Crown Point, IN
54, joined May. 2013

OP,

I feel that fifty dollars for a nephew is generous. I would have reacted just like you did. She was disrespectful to say that to you. No one spends 400 dollars on someone else's nephew. What a hurtful experience.

12/19/2014 3:26:05 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
riflessivo
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (17,455)
AlmafuerteStaffordshire
United Kingdom
42, joined Jan. 2014

It depends, if you thought about the "person" i.e it's relative to them then I have no problem if you spend 10 dollars on me.

If it's totally irrelevant to the person I would rather you didn't spend the 10 dollars.

Every year my Uncle buys my mum a bottle of red wine. My mother doesn't like red wine and never has. Should she appreciate it? I mean he's only known her 63 years.

12/19/2014 4:52:43 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
chambella
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,411)
New South Wales
Australia
95, joined Jun. 2014

Quote from riflessivo:
It depends, if you thought about the "person" i.e it's relative to them then I have no problem if you spend 10 dollars on me.

If it's totally irrelevant to the person I would rather you didn't spend the 10 dollars.

Every year my Uncle buys my mum a bottle of red wine. My mother doesn't like red wine and never has. Should she appreciate it? I mean he's only known her 63 years.

She should have or could have told him .... there is a nice way to present your case.

12/19/2014 4:53:50 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
cavie59
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,595)
Enid, OK
57, joined Feb. 2010

^^^ Hope things are good Downunder for you.

12/19/2014 4:57:08 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
riflessivo
AlmafuerteStaffordshire
United Kingdom
42, joined Jan. 2014

Quote from chambella:
She should have or could have told him .... there is a nice way to present your case.

She won't she is too polite

12/19/2014 5:02:13 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
chambella
New South Wales
Australia
95, joined Jun. 2014

Quote from happylauren:
OP,

I feel that fifty dollars for a nephew is generous. I would have reacted just like you did. She was disrespectful to say that to you. No one spends 400 dollars on someone else's nephew. What a hurtful experience.

Opie said he: "There was this gal I dated a few Christmases ago and I bought her son ..."

but I agree with you.. that is plenty of money.. it IS the thought that counts..

I find it really hard to buy for my sister and her family, i.e. my niece and nephew..they only buy 'Designer" or Brand name, Gucci, blah blah... even for the house. This year we have decided not to buy presents for each other.. Thank gawd.

Gives me a little extra to buy for my sons and their partners and put on a dinner.. is enough. We usually give each other 'fun' presents.. more 'entertainment' value..

Looking forward to it..

I value all my gifts... I value that the person 'spent' their time to look for a gift for me.. how lovely is that!!! in itself!

12/19/2014 5:12:32 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

hippo65
Albuquerque, NM
50, joined Apr. 2013
online now!

Quote from riflessivo:

Long long long time age my brother girlfriend got me three bottle of wine in a fancy wooden case..
Not sure why she knew very well I don't drink.
It was pure torture for me figuring out what it could be, and wine was not even my guess.
But I had a gift for someone else for next year.

12/19/2014 5:19:30 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
chambella
New South Wales
Australia
95, joined Jun. 2014

Quote from hippo65:

Long long long time age my brother girlfriend got me three bottle of wine in a fancy wooden case..
It was pure torture for me figuring out what it could be, and wine was not even my guess.

Save it for me LOL

12/19/2014 5:20:17 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

txrose64
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (30,657)
Pearland, TX
52, joined Jan. 2013

sounds like you've been dating some rude women..just after the gifts.

I've taught my kids as I was taught to be gracious and thank the person, even if you hate it.

of note those lil helicopters are crap..I got three of those suckers on Christmas for my two then young nephews and son..I regretted it as I was dive bombed whilst cooking Christmas dinner..but it was fun. They don't last very long, they get dust/hair around the rotor and crap out after a day of fun.

the ones at Frys and back when Best Buy were great fun..he passed his on to a neighbor boy when we moved, to which I was dive bombed yet again at my garage sale

boys..can't kill 'em..gotta love 'em

If that kinda stuff "bothers" you..Mustang date more quality women with better manners.

12/19/2014 5:22:35 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
riflessivo
AlmafuerteStaffordshire
United Kingdom
42, joined Jan. 2014

Quote from hippo65:

My other uncle brought them a guest book. Hilarious my parents never have guests.

It would totally kill my mother to give it as a gift. So she'd give it to charity.

I wonder if charity shops suddenly have an influx of stock after Christmas?

12/19/2014 5:26:34 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
chambella
New South Wales
Australia
95, joined Jun. 2014

Quote from riflessivo:
She won't she is too polite

oh dear..get her to write a letter... LOL

someone should let him know...

12/19/2014 5:30:57 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
riflessivo
AlmafuerteStaffordshire
United Kingdom
42, joined Jan. 2014

Lol she won't. She doesn't want to upset them or for them feel slighted or hurt.

This year I'm going to make her open them first. That way she forgets about them.

12/19/2014 5:32:06 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

hippo65
Albuquerque, NM
50, joined Apr. 2013
online now!

^^If I would be her I would shake the present and say
" I hope it's a bottle of red vine"!

Quote from chambella:
Save it for me LOL

Awwww..
Nice tree darling..

I think some people just get presents to someone because they feel like they should, but now clue about the person. Or they just give zero thought.
But in any case, if the person does not drink, and the gifter knows that..WHY??

[Edited 12/19/2014 5:34:26 AM ]

12/19/2014 5:52:26 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
settee_m
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,379)
Dallas, TX
63, joined Feb. 2013

Quote from riflessivo:
Lol she won't. She doesn't want to upset them or for them feel slighted or hurt.

This year I'm going to make her open them first. That way she forgets about them.

It's a good gift if she has any guests who appreciate the wine. Oftentimes, wine is an appropriate gift to give a hostess.

12/19/2014 5:57:20 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
chambella
New South Wales
Australia
95, joined Jun. 2014

Quote from hippo65:
^^If I would be her I would shake the present and say
" I hope it's a bottle of red vine"!

Quote from chambella:
Save it for me LOL

Awwww..
Nice tree darling..

I think some people just get presents to someone because they feel like they should, but now clue about the person. Or they just give zero thought.
But in any case, if the person does not drink, and the gifter knows that..WHY??

Maybe they were re-gifting it themselves LOL

12/19/2014 5:59:46 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
settee_m
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,379)
Dallas, TX
63, joined Feb. 2013

I mentioned in an earlier thread, my brother-in-law and I have been exchanging 'ugly gifts' for years. We have fun with it and try to top last year's gift. It's expected and anticipated.

Sorry that dampened your spirits, mustang, and all the others who commented about unappreciative holiday gift receivers. Chalk it up to bad manners.

12/19/2014 6:01:26 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
riflessivo
AlmafuerteStaffordshire
United Kingdom
42, joined Jan. 2014

Quote from settee_m:
It's a good gift if she has any guests who appreciate the wine. Oftentimes, wine is an appropriate gift to give a hostess.

Settee if that was my mum I would agree but she doesn't have guests nor would be a hostess. Her world is my father and her home.

So it wouldn't be a good gift. Now a plant would be a great gift as she has 100's and a massive garden.

This is why thought and knowledge of a person makes the difference between a good gift and one that says you really don't know me.

It's accepted that some people would love it.

12/19/2014 6:03:16 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
pudiitatt
Over 1,000 Posts (1,136)
Barstow, CA
50, joined Aug. 2014

Can't anyone just be gracious and just accept a gift anymore?

of course, i do, mustang. i'm always gracious and all smiles... in my having an "elephant" gift for someone else.

saves a lot of shopping.

12/19/2014 6:08:37 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
chambella
New South Wales
Australia
95, joined Jun. 2014

Quote from hippo65:

Nice tree darling..

...TY... it is my tree I have up in the corner of my lounge..I finally finished decorating it.. Yesterday.

12/19/2014 6:17:22 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
wench_doctor789
Over 2,000 Posts (3,165)
Atlanta, GA
40, joined Nov. 2014

Feel free to re-gift wine to me

12/19/2014 6:55:22 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
riflessivo
AlmafuerteStaffordshire
United Kingdom
42, joined Jan. 2014

I'll put in a good word for you Ms Wench

12/19/2014 7:45:16 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from mindya:
You were lucky....

Oh, my aunt told me stories about her and my father growing up, and how an old rolled-up carpet was the best toy they had... when they sat on that rolled-up carpet, it could be a horse, or car, or rocketship, or....

I know my folks splurged on me, compared to what they had.

Point is, a 79 cent pack of green army men was a treat when growing up, and I couldn't imagine kids back then pouting and complaining that they didn't get a $10 pack of fancy green army men instead.

On the other hand, my parents also ended up big fans of just giving gift certificates/cards or money, at some point. As my mother put it, "Grand-dad always said money is always the right size, always the right color, and you can always exchange it anywhere if you didn't want it...." I guess even my great-grandparents must have run into the unappreciative holiday gift receivers in their time....

12/19/2014 7:57:02 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

mustangwriter
Boerne, TX
55, joined Nov. 2009

One year I bought an expensive silk scarf for my sister.
Later I found out from my mother she didn't particularly care for it.
I told my mother "Well, I guess her gift got lost in the mail, because I didn't receive anything!"

12/19/2014 8:07:00 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  

chris_90352
Sykesville, MD
43, joined Sep. 2010

Quote from hippo65:

Quote from riflessivo:
...Every year my Uncle buys my mum a bottle of red wine. My mother doesn't like red wine and never has. Should she appreciate it? I mean he's only known her 63 years.

I wonder if maybe gifts of alcohol to non-drinkers are meant as some sort of "hint"? Like maybe, "A good host/hostess would serve us good wine when we visit! So, here's some good wine, make sure you serve it to us next time we're here!" I don't think I've ever had someone buy me a gift they definitely know I wouldn't like to send a message (thank goodness)... almost like they were buying you a gift to give themselves or something.

Last year, I gave my brother a bottle of 12-year single-malt Scotch, thinking it suited his personality and seemed like the sort of thing he might enjoy, though probably wouldn't buy himself. It turned out, my brother didn't drink very much of it himself, I think he prefers beer and wine. But, he did have a party with his best friends, got the bottle out on a whim to share with them, and it seemed like it went over pretty well: he thanked me when I gave it to him and then called me up to thank me again for it and explain how the Scotch was a "perfect note" to end his party with, so I guess it worked out well as a gift, in an unexpected way; bless him for being a good sport about a gift he didn't care for, and finding a way to turn it into a "win"

[Edited 12/19/2014 8:08:47 AM ]

12/19/2014 8:08:07 AM Unappreciative holiday gift receivers... How do you react?  
kawkasian
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,841)
Beverly Hills, CA
36, joined Sep. 2014

I bought my dad a weather station thing a couple of years ago, I asked if he installed it (it needed a sensor outside the house). He said yes.

When I was there back in march I found it unopened in a drawer