Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

mega personls

I guess anything like if you re nevertheless into sport in your 30s, you must be fairly motivated and organised. best dating sites alberta Attempt to go there your self even if the other particular person offers to fetch/drive you. Tinder reported that 2020 was its busiest year but this year, its users have currently set two records for usage between January and March. meetme sex Also, after you and a potential match have liked each other, you can also chat with one particular yet another.

how to post on mega personal

99. council bluffs single females Regardless of exactly where you fit in the quest for exciting, friendship or required, Connecting Singles has a match or search approach designed for you. My wife and I have been destined not to meet for the duration of the speed dating section of the singles night as I was quantity 1 and Sinéad was about number 18 and the speed dating event only went to quantity 13. adult friend finder reddit Am tired of hunting at the ceiling and watching Tv by myself.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

2/10/2013 7:49:49 AM What Defines A Professional?  

dbkh
York, SC
56, joined Dec. 2012

They should sticky What Defines A Professional.
Is it just educated?
Or just career driven?
Or just wealthy?
Or just a fancy car and clothes?
Or is it any one or two of the above?

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

2/10/2013 9:45:12 AM What Defines A Professional?  

jrbogie1949
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,851)
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

paid to do somthing?

2/10/2013 10:52:12 AM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

Traditional professions are: doctors, engineers, lawyers, architects and commissioned military officers. Now it includes: nurses, accountants, educators, scientists, technology experts, social workers, artists, librarians (information professionals), etc. It can also mean a professional in sports (as in one who is paid to play). The term professional also tends to indicate that these are persons who provide personal and confidential services and therefore there is a necessity for strict codes of ethics to which they must subscribe. Lawyers have rules of ethics, so do social workers, doctors, etc. If you have a code of ethics you must subscribe to in order to work you're probably a professional. In fact, I want a PROFESSIONAL pilot flying any plane I'm in!

Being a professional doesn't any anything to do with education, being career driven, wealthy, clothing, car or a combination of the above. It has to do with the career field with high ethical standards and how competent one must be as well as the fiduciary nature of the job.

2/10/2013 11:17:02 AM What Defines A Professional?  
karrpilot
Over 1,000 Posts (1,944)
Oswego, IL
54, joined Jul. 2009

What about us private pilots? Don't think we are professional? Just because i am not carting around a hundred or more people i can't stand doesn't make me any less of a professional.

Typically, most people think of white collar workers as professional. But i dissagree. I know most white collar workers who can't even change a flat tire on their vehicle, or even how where, or how, to check and add oil to it.

That being said, even though i am in a blue collar field, i take what i do quite seriously. Not all of us were college material, or like to work in a stuffy office all day wearing a suit and tie.

I fix government vehicles, plow the snow off our roads, assess damage from time to time, go where they send me, and am happy to do it. You won't find me in a 3 piece suit. But then again, you won't find me looking like i spent the night in a bar either.

2/10/2013 3:10:32 PM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

Quote from karrpilot:
What about us private pilots? Don't think we are professional? Just because i am not carting around a hundred or more people i can't stand doesn't make me any less of a professional.

Typically, most people think of white collar workers as professional. But i dissagree. I know most white collar workers who can't even change a flat tire on their vehicle, or even how where, or how, to check and add oil to it.

That being said, even though i am in a blue collar field, i take what i do quite seriously. Not all of us were college material, or like to work in a stuffy office all day wearing a suit and tie.

I fix government vehicles, plow the snow off our roads, assess damage from time to time, go where they send me, and am happy to do it. You won't find me in a 3 piece suit. But then again, you won't find me looking like i spent the night in a bar either.

My Dad was a private pilot and he was no great shakes. In fact, between his driving and his flying there is probably a reason I started going gray at 16! A boss of mine ended up crashing the Piper we were in and we were bloody lucky to walk away. I've flown with a Bush Pilot in Alaska and refused to fly back from Whittier to Anchorage - I caught a ride with the city manager on the car/train that night. You may be the god of small planes, but many people are not. I point to John F. Kennedy Jr. as a private pilot who I'm sure thought he was good as well. The old stats (2012) from Bloomberg indicate there a huge disparity in the accidents between private and commercial pilots. If you were a professional pilot you could start flying the big birds tomorrow.

I didn't start the Professional Singles group. I have a hunch that the OP/thread developer was thinking along the lines of the traditional usage of the term "Professional." If it needs to be redefined, then that's fine, but we're talking about an English language term with a long history in the language and a definition that goes back a long, long way. Does it mean others should not post? Of course not, but I would find it odd to have someone say they are a professional garbage guy/gal or a professional burger flipper at (insert name of fast food place).

There is a difference between a career, a job, and a profession. Someday I'd like to figure all those differences out myself. If everyone is a professional then the term loses all meaning. Let's go back and change the Group name to Singles Who Are Employed. Everyone who works has a job. We can add professional homemaker, professional stay-at-home parent, and professional retired person.

Even passing the bar or the medical boards does not make one a professional - although that's closer. What makes one a professional is the background, experience, education, and training to perform the duties of a "profession" - often with a fiduciary role between the provider and the client.

I could not be a professional in most fields. I have been a professional in two. That being said, I think some of the most important people in the world are garbage collectors, day care providers, and others who keep society functioning. A professional does not need to focus his or her attention on changing tires or oil, they hire others to perform those functions for them. Do you want your brain surgeon changing the oil on his car or keeping his skill sharp for your brain surgery? I vote for the latter. I doubt you're a Paris trained professional chef (I'm not!) so we hire them to create what we need if/when we need it.

It has nothing to do with your perception that being a person without a stereotypical profession means they look like someone who spent the night in a bar, either. God knows there are plenty of lawyers, doctors, etc. who spend a lot of time in a bar or simply get smashed at home.

2/10/2013 3:37:46 PM What Defines A Professional?  

cowboy4672
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,195)
Lillian, AL
70, joined Dec. 2012

Any body who takes your money (Property)(Barter) and leaves you with a "Smile>!"

AS In Oldest!!

2/10/2013 11:17:00 PM What Defines A Professional?  
blackribbon
Royal Oak, MI
52, joined Dec. 2012

There is a difference between being "professional" and being in a field that is considered a "profession". I suspect that this thread was started for people who are in careers that are considered "professions" but was taken over by people who consider themselves professionals within their own fields. My husband was a professional trucker and a very honorable one. Even with his college degree on the wall, I'd never have described him as a "professional". However, as a nurse, I do consider people in my field to be "professionals". I do think that most "professional" careers are white collared and degreed fields...quite often advanced degrees with licensing exams to verify competency and have a code of ethics.

2/11/2013 6:37:34 AM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

Quote from blackribbon:
There is a difference between being "professional" and being in a field that is considered a "profession". I suspect that this thread was started for people who are in careers that are considered "professions" but was taken over by people who consider themselves professionals within their own fields. My husband was a professional trucker and a very honorable one. Even with his college degree on the wall, I'd never have described him as a "professional". However, as a nurse, I do consider people in my field to be "professionals". I do think that most "professional" careers are white collared and degreed fields...quite often advanced degrees with licensing exams to verify competency and have a code of ethics.

Thank you - I agree entirely.

2/11/2013 8:55:49 AM What Defines A Professional?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

if you work for a living, you're a pro. my guess is that 'professional' as used describing white collar types of professions was coined by white collar types of people to destinguish them from what they consider lower class blue collar types. if somebody is willing to pay somebody else for doing what he/she does then he/she is a professional whether he/she sits in an office, works in a hospital, drives a fire truck or golfs at pebble beach. be professional while engaging in your profession and you're a real pro.

2/11/2013 2:51:17 PM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

God save me, I acutally got curious and looked up the origin of professional. It has been used since the middle 1400's and originally was strictly for those professing vows (religious). Somone actually answered this on google answers using the OED so I think we can safely say it is a very old term which was applied to the rarified realms of society. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/383208.html It probably got to include lawyers because of the Chancery court function of the church.

What makes someone a professional? Damned if I know - except as it relates to a very old word that has been redefined in modern times to include more than religious, but less than every person who is now or has ever been employed doing anything. I still want a professional brain surgeon and airline pilot ... I'm funny that way.

2/11/2013 7:29:00 PM What Defines A Professional?  
karrpilot
Over 1,000 Posts (1,944)
Oswego, IL
54, joined Jul. 2009

Well, your professional pilot can be more of an a** than i could ever hope to be. For some strange reason, they do tend to think they are gods whenever the suit gets put on.

One thought he could take the opposite end of the runway i was cleared on once. Just because he was bigger, faster, and didn't want to get into the traffic pattern. Which, i might add, was the active runway at the time.

So i calmly corrected him on his mistake. He didn't quite like that, from his tone of voice. But when he realized i was correct, and he was wrong, the radio suddenly went silent.

Imagine that? Don't think professional pilots screw up from time to time? Guess again. Luckily, no one died that day.

2/11/2013 8:44:45 PM What Defines A Professional?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

i presume it was not a tower controlled airport? if so i'd have to hear the other pilot's side of things. i do use only professional plummers.

2/11/2013 9:27:03 PM What Defines A Professional?  

guardian6171
Lake Katrine, NY
55, joined Nov. 2012

I think what defines a professional is a couple things.
1. Taking pride in what they do
2. Dedication to what you do
3. Training
As a volunteer fire fighter, I get at all hours of the day, seven days a week,train continuously and I take pride in what I do. I am an unpaid professional fire fighter. As a Marine Safety Officer in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I held to the same standards as the active duty and reserves are. Again, I am an unpaid professional. Just my opinion.

2/11/2013 10:37:53 PM What Defines A Professional?  
blackribbon
Royal Oak, MI
52, joined Dec. 2012

I do not want to degrade what you do...because have the ultimate respect for all your volunteer "professions" and thank you for what you do

....but by your definition, my 14 year old is a "professional" figure skater...she is dedicated, trains (a minimum 5 practices a week), and takes pride in what she does. However, I promise that she does not have the skill level to make that claim yet and she costs me quit a bit to allow her to train and compete. And my son is a "professional" Boy Scout...something he takes pride it, is dedicated to, and spends many hours training for the wide variety of skills that he needs and is offered the opportunity to learn.

There must be more to this definition.

I always though there was a difference between a profession and a vocation...though both career paths can have intelligent and very dedicated individuals behaving in a professional manner.

2/13/2013 9:38:14 AM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

This is sort of turning into a discussion of defining characteristics and semantics, but ... oh, well..

On an .edu site I found:

The Six Characteristics of a Profession

1 Renders a specialized service based upon advanced specialized knowledge and skill, and dealing with its problems primarily on an intellectual plane rather then on a physical or a manual labor plane.

2 Involves a confidential relationship between a practitioner and a client or a employer.

3 Is charged with a substantial degree of public obligation by virtue of its profession of specialized knowledge.

4 Enjoys a common heritage of knowledge, skill, and status to the cumulative store of which professional men are bound to contribute through their individual and collective efforts.

5 Performs its services to a substantial degree in the general public interest , receiving its compensation through limited fees rather than through direct profit from the improvement in goods, services, or knowledge, which it accomplishes.

6 Is bound by a distinctive ethical code in its relationships with clients, colleagues, and the public.

As a DeafBlind Community Access Network Supportive Service Provider (I don't consider it to be a profession (it is just a job to me) the position meets all the qualifications above. If one eliminates 5 (fees/income) then I suppose is is possible to have a volunteer who works in a profession. The issues of confidentiality, intellectual services, providing services in the area of the public good, and having a code of ethics seem to be the major differences. Nothing any of my clients/customers say to me can go any further and the ethical rules that apply are sometimes confusing and staggering.

It becomes quite entangled when we have jobs (burger flipping/Wal-mart greeter), occupations, careers, vocations, avocations (unpaid) and professions. Someone is referred to as a "career criminal" or a "professional criminal" but we don't consider that a valid "profession" here (or perhaps someone will jump up and say they're a professional hit man.

And as to the initial intent of the group creator - darned if I know. To my understanding a profession is limited to those who pretty much fulfill the above 6 characteristics, but I don't think it means that an attorney can't hang out with a taxi driver or a doctor can't date a cattle wrangler.

2/13/2013 10:59:28 AM What Defines A Professional?  

jrbogie1949
Ventura, CA
68, joined Mar. 2009

so since a baseball player is not involved in 'dealing with its problems primarily on an intellectual plane rather then on a physical or a manual labor plane,' he would not be considered a professional? how about a pilot? you might argue that an airline pilot today relies more on his intelligence more than manual labor but that has not always been the case. flying once involved tremendous reliance on manual skills moreso than intelectual capabilites and some, crop dusting, fire suppression, etc., still do. my guess would be that a surgeon relies on his manual abilities every bit as much as his intelligence and that some aspiring surgeons have the intellectual capacity but lack the manual dexterity required. so when he became a family practitioner that requires little manual dexterity did he become more a professional than his thorasic surgeon peer? i'd think that an electritian relies on his intellect moreso than his manual skills every bit as much as a computer programer does. is the latter a professional and the former not so? how about an artist? professional or laborer? is a concert pianist dressed in a tux giving a recital a blue collar laborer or a white collar professional?

2/13/2013 1:15:13 PM What Defines A Professional?  

largotha
Lancaster, PA
34, joined Dec. 2008

A non-commissioned officer?

2/13/2013 8:34:02 PM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

Quote from jrbogie1949:
so since a baseball player is not involved in 'dealing with its problems primarily on an intellectual plane rather then on a physical or a manual labor plane,' he would not be considered a professional? how about a pilot? you might argue that an airline pilot today relies more on his intelligence more than manual labor but that has not always been the case. flying once involved tremendous reliance on manual skills moreso than intelectual capabilites and some, crop dusting, fire suppression, etc., still do. my guess would be that a surgeon relies on his manual abilities every bit as much as his intelligence and that some aspiring surgeons have the intellectual capacity but lack the manual dexterity required. so when he became a family practitioner that requires little manual dexterity did he become more a professional than his thorasic surgeon peer? i'd think that an electritian relies on his intellect moreso than his manual skills every bit as much as a computer programer does. is the latter a professional and the former not so? how about an artist? professional or laborer? is a concert pianist dressed in a tux giving a recital a blue collar laborer or a white collar professional?

Confusing, isn't it?

Some words almost aren't worth the trouble.

2/13/2013 9:56:02 PM What Defines A Professional?  
blackribbon
Royal Oak, MI
52, joined Dec. 2012

a professional vs a tradesman vs an artist

There used to be pride that went with each vocation...now I guess everyone wants to be lumped together...

2/17/2013 3:54:43 AM What Defines A Professional?  
agoodgirlbadgir
Brooklyn, NY
37, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from dbkh:
They should sticky What Defines A Professional.
Is it just educated?
Or just career driven?
Or just wealthy?
Or just a fancy car and clothes?
Or is it any one or two of the above?

Finally done with school, and working in their career. (My dream)

2/17/2013 3:56:52 PM What Defines A Professional?  

bigtruckboy87
Bothell, WA
30, joined May. 2011

I'm a general contractor. I specialize in commercial and custom residential construction. I create quality work and happy customers. I am a professional.

2/18/2013 12:06:17 PM What Defines A Professional?  
seayousoon
Louisa, VA
47, joined Jan. 2013

one who is off from work on President's day

2/18/2013 3:57:33 PM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

Quote from seayousoon:
one who is off from work on President's day

Nice try, but doctors, nurses and others who are considered professionals are working. Next.

2/18/2013 8:56:18 PM What Defines A Professional?  

guardian6171
Lake Katrine, NY
55, joined Nov. 2012

Dawgpaws, I like your definition best. Like you said take away #5 and you become an unpaid professional. As for the professional hit man, I know a few and they are some of the best trained, humble, mild mannered men you will ever meet. They are the specwarfare operators of the US military.

2/20/2013 3:24:54 AM What Defines A Professional?  
grasshopper222
Los Angeles, CA
37, joined Feb. 2013

Tx, I needed that Love

2/26/2013 9:21:25 PM What Defines A Professional?  

roserose1
Miami, FL
54, joined Feb. 2013

To me is basically any white-collar...

2/26/2013 10:23:11 PM What Defines A Professional?  
cupocheer
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (279,323)
Assumption, IL
68, joined May. 2010

A professional MUST receive an earned profit from their services or goods.

2/27/2013 8:22:07 PM What Defines A Professional?  
dawgpaws
Townsend, MA
68, joined Sep. 2012

Quote from cupocheer:
A professional MUST receive an earned profit from their services or goods.
. So the lawyers who do pro bono work are not professional? Don't think so.

3/4/2013 7:29:24 PM What Defines A Professional?  
1swaami
Shasta Lake, CA
57, joined Feb. 2013
online now!

well personally, I am one of those who has to follow a certain code of ethics. It isnt the ethics that bothers me....it was the route I had to do to get there.
First, I had to get my B.S. degree (Bull shit)
Second, I had to get my M.S degree (More Shit)
Finally, I had to get my PH.D degree (Piled Higher and Deeper)

3/6/2013 4:17:24 AM What Defines A Professional?  

karolann4u
Bentonville, AR
28, joined Dec. 2012

To me: a professional is a cashier, a doctor, a drive thru operator, a waitress a lawyer, ect. As long as they do the job they were hired for as best as they possibly can and strive to give ultimate customer satisfaction..they are a professional...

3/6/2013 6:29:03 AM What Defines A Professional?  

builderdc
North Fort Myers, FL
48, joined Nov. 2012

In the state of Florida professionals are are licensed thru the dept of business and professional regulation. I hold two licenses thru this dept. Licensed home inspector and certified building contractor. Later this year I will be going for my plumbing license as well. I drive a pickup but consider myself a professional.

3/17/2013 12:49:52 AM What Defines A Professional?  

fielddoc00
New Windsor, NY
43, joined Nov. 2007

This forum was definitely not worth my time. Everyone on here complaining about whether or not their profession falls in line with what a professional is. Good God people. You should rename this forum "B*tch Session" obsession instead. That's what all the conversations were.

3/19/2013 8:34:11 AM What Defines A Professional?  

davidkfarm
Perry, GA
30, joined Feb. 2010

When I did my Conductor training we were told we were professionals. Since we are trained, documented on that training, tested on that training refeshed every year and tested on that refresher. Throw in random observance to see if your doing it correctly a few more times a year.

3/19/2013 8:37:19 AM What Defines A Professional?  

davidkfarm
Perry, GA
30, joined Feb. 2010

go back to that wikipedia page click work and check out the examples and reasoning there

Quote from dawgpaws:
Traditional professions are: doctors, engineers, lawyers, architects and commissioned military officers. Now it includes: nurses, accountants, educators, scientists, technology experts, social workers, artsts, librarians (information professionals), etc. It can also mean a professional in sports (as in one who is paid to play). The term professional also tends to indicate that these are persons who provide personal and confidential services and therefore there is a necessity for strict codes of ethics to which they must subscribe. Lawyers have rules of ethics, so do social workers, doctors, etc. If you have a code of ethics you must subscribe to in order to work you're probably a professional. In fact, I want a PROFESSIONAL pilot flying any plane I'm in!

Being a professional doesn't any anything to do with education, being career driven, wealthy, clothing, car or a combination of the above. It has to do with the career field with high ethical standards and how competent one must be as well as the fiduciary nature of the job.

3/19/2013 7:58:50 PM What Defines A Professional?  
cupocheer
Assumption, IL
68, joined May. 2010

A PROFESSIONAL is one whom receives income for services rendered.

[If you make money from what you are doing that is a profession -- which makes you a professional in that area.]

3/20/2013 1:03:51 AM What Defines A Professional?  
beautyfull22
Atlanta, GA
27, joined Mar. 2013

I would say how this person who calls themselve a professional carries themselves in business or public.

5/24/2013 4:03:14 PM What Defines A Professional?  
guitarstmr
Torrance, CA
46, joined May. 2013

First define a profession. Webster defines it as "a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation". Simply put...if your occupation requires a min. ba/bs...has standards and code of ethics...is derived from a body of academic discipline...and contributes to societal interests..then you are likey a "professional" occupied in a "profession". In the context of class structure..the professional class is educated...salaried...and uses thier specialized knowledge to render services to private and public entities.

A cashier has a job. A cop has
a career. A geologist has a profession.

6/3/2013 12:46:59 PM What Defines A Professional?  
littlebittwiste
New Lebanon, NY
39, joined May. 2013

Professional is not the same as has a profession. Profession is a lifetime occupation. Professional is anyone who earns an income from a job they do.

This means a professional must be making an income from his/her work, not just doing it for side cash.

Any thought of a professional having to meet certain criteria, or a professional relating to a profession... is a flawed thought.

Look at the Olympics as an example. Training for the Olympics can be considered a profession, but an Olympian is not a professional... in fact thats a defining factor of being in the Olympics (in most events) is that you actually CAN'T be a PROFESSIONAL - you have to be an AMATEUR (not making money from profession) to be in the Olympics.

So literally a professional is someone who makes a living from what they do, if they are not making a living from it they are considered an amateur. And this is true of everything from a fry cook to a lawn care professional to a lawyer to a doctor.

[Edited 6/3/2013 12:48:11 PM ]

6/4/2013 12:42:06 AM What Defines A Professional?  
guitarstmr
Torrance, CA
46, joined May. 2013

Wrong. Occupation is what you are referring to but i understand what your point is... albiet ...wrong and misunderstood. We loosly yet erronously refer to many occupations as professional. Professional mechanic..fry cook etc. Its part of the layman lexicon. Professional occupation is a class catagory but more often..a social construct limited to a select group of qualifying occupations as was defined in earlier post.

As far as athletes...man you just dont get it. Eveyone recognizes def between pro vs amatuer. That isnt the point. A profession in the classic sense is more narrow in its reference .than your universal layman definition. Professional and profession are catagories in context of societal class and structure. For the layman in usa...well it simply means what u do for a living. Wrong.

6/4/2013 10:54:48 AM What Defines A Professional?  
littlebittwiste
New Lebanon, NY
39, joined May. 2013

No I am not wrong and I am not referring to occupation, although technically I also am.

The oxford dictionary (you know, oxford, those people that define the English language and its rules) define profession as: a paid occupation, especially one [though not required] that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

So a profession... is a paid occupation.

Further a professional... is (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as a pastime

Then that begs, what is a pastime: an activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.

And we make it full loop back to what I said....

However you are right about my using layman terms because correctly speaking the word amateur is not part of the official English language, rather it is a German-English word that has been adopted by near all English sub languages (British-English, US English, World-English)

6/4/2013 10:48:08 PM What Defines A Professional?  
cupocheer
Assumption, IL
68, joined May. 2010

A professional is defined as one who receives payment for their goods or services.

6/6/2013 2:16:06 AM What Defines A Professional?  
littlebittwiste
New Lebanon, NY
39, joined May. 2013

If she is standing on the street corner talking to friends, she is not a professional, if she is asking if you want to have a good time, she is.

Its simple

6/8/2013 1:59:42 AM What Defines A Professional?  
single21399
Los Angeles, CA
33, joined May. 2013

a professional is respecting and understanding everyone for what they do for a living. remember everyone has a family to take care of. i remember thats what they said when i graduated college. thank your parents for their sacrifice to make you a better person : ) and always be greatful for great friends and family.

6/8/2013 9:52:20 PM What Defines A Professional?  
d_voted
Over 4,000 Posts! (4,160)
Winnipeg, MB
65, joined Sep. 2008

Quote from guitarstmr:
First define a profession. Webster defines it as "a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation".

Simply put...if your occupation requires a min. ba/bs...has standards and code of ethics...is derived from a body of academic discipline...and contributes to societal interests..then you are likey a "professional" occupied in a "profession". In the context of class structure..the professional class is educated...salaried...and uses thier specialized knowledge to render services to private and public entities.

A cashier has a job. A cop has
a career. A geologist has a profession.

In my work life I did many jobs that would not qualify me to call myself a "professional".

I did a variety of construction related work in everything from welding shops, roofing, carpentry, concrete and horizontal drilling for underground installations beneath roads, irrigation canals and rail lines. NONE of the above would have qualified me to call myself a "professional". At best if I had taken the training in some of them I may have become a 'tradesperson with a journeyman's ticket'.

I could have worked in specialized fields of drilling or bartending but the term professional is not a designation to place on those jobs - even if they are long term careers.

Now that I am retired from my profession, for which I had to EARN at least an undergraduate degree from a recognized University, I am no longer a 'professional'.

I have taken up a new 'vocation' - that of being a beatnik. I paint, draw, sculpt and write (soon to publish a book) and dabble in music. Once the book is published I may call myself a writer but not a professional.

If I am to designate anything that I want to do or be as professional just because I consider it important in my own eyes then being a lunatic will suffice.

I am, by others on this thread a 'professional lunatic' because I consider it my calling.

I have excelled at it for quite some time now and am probably one of the best in my specialized field. Few can contest my excellence within this domain.

I suspect the reason this forum was started was because many people feel that their education, their 'intelligence' and their social position puts them in a class above the mere 'workers'. They would like to associate and are only interested in getting into a relationship with someone with a similar social status and educational background or experience.

It has attracted, in my estimation, such a group of egoists, self-congratulatory, materialistic, ethnocentric clans that are about as superficial about depth of character as they are self-indulgent with the trappings of success.

It has also attracted every kind of nut case and pretender who wishes to gratify their overinflated egos. Pretentious the lot including those who actually have what has been for a long time qualified to consider themselves 'professionals'.

Just because people speak of prostitution as the 'oldest profession' does not qualify it as a profession. To suggest that anything that one does and is paid for also qualifies one to claim professional status is bunk. A drug dealer is therefore a professional.

I have refrained from posting in this forum precisely because the arrogance and self-glorification so many members herein project.

Where is the humility and genuine kindness? Where is the dignity and respectability of the genuine people with class? Where is the gratitude that one ought to have for having had the opportunity and good health as well as nurturing from others to help one achieve some level of competence in a real 'profession'?

I am so sad that sincerity, authenticity, honor, decency, prudence, generosity of spirit and the likes are so uncommon where it should be manifest from the appreciation of our blessed circumstances.

D

Sad and disappointed

6/8/2013 11:13:46 PM What Defines A Professional?  
thatthatguy
Houston, TX
39, joined Jun. 2013

Jeesh, its no wonder none of you guys get laid.

6/9/2013 7:03:47 PM What Defines A Professional?  
deneez
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,068)
Rochester, MI
58, joined Apr. 2012

Pure and simply character.

Add to that

Kindness.

Consideration.

A sharing of your talent that is used by others for the good.

Nursing is one of the oldest professions known to man along with medicine and science, but removed from kindness and consideration it is null and void, as charity has caused real change much more than science.

I always look in this forum hoping to see some new nurses post, but as of late it revolves around sex with co-workers, and the such.

The gentleman above mentions 'prostitution' as not a profession, and I would agree but for different reasons. A prostitute is not paid for her services. It is my understanding she, or he, is paid to go away.

ONE persons stands out for me in my life as fascinating as far as career or endeavors. Never finished high school, but his artisitic ability with oils, clay, and wire sculpting were so excellent, art was him.

In his professional life, back before computers when cars were first sculpted in clay proto-type, he worked for Chrysler, painted during the evenings and week-ends, enjoyed a great joke, loved a good glass of wine...and always had class. His carpenter skills with moldings combined with an artistic eye made him sought out by most everyone when persons endeavored on a carpentry project.

Always sheer class because of his charitable character so I would say 'character' hands down.

Remember to say 'thank-you' when you are given promotion, raise, or praise....all we have is gift.

6/9/2013 7:24:12 PM What Defines A Professional?  
deneez
Rochester, MI
58, joined Apr. 2012

Quote from builderdc:
In the state of Florida professionals are are licensed thru the dept of business and professional regulation. I hold two licenses thru this dept. Licensed home inspector and certified building contractor. Later this year I will be going for my plumbing license as well. I drive a pickup but consider myself a professional.

If you bring honesty along with your expertise, you are.

6/9/2013 8:29:59 PM What Defines A Professional?  
deneez
Rochester, MI
58, joined Apr. 2012

I suspect the reason this forum was started was because many people feel that their education, their 'intelligence' and their social position puts them in a class above the mere 'workers'. They would like to associate and are only interested in getting into a relationship with someone with a similar social status and educational background or experience.

It has attracted, in my estimation, such a group of egoists, self-congratulatory, materialistic, ethnocentric clans that are about as superficial about depth of character as they are self-indulgent with the trappings of success.

THIS is disturbing. Not all will have your 'intelligence' nor will share the same gifts that you have been given. If the placement of words to deliver an intent of a message, whether to chastise, praise, or make a profound statement overtly or covertly could be considered a 'gift' it has been given to you. But, I wouldn't read into it too much.

egoists, self-congratulatory, materialistic, ethnocentric clans

Descriptive, but nonetheless, subjective.

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.

Abraham Lincoln

6/15/2013 1:24:40 AM What Defines A Professional?  
earl425
Over 2,000 Posts (3,161)
Houston, TX
61, joined Jun. 2013

My definition of professional is to arrange and build for happiness for yourself and to create the most effortless action to attain same and personal happiness. How is anyone a professional in life if they wear a long unhappy face in life? Hence they are unprofessional in life.

6/16/2013 4:26:39 PM What Defines A Professional?  
riana3100
Gardena, CA
28, joined Apr. 2013

Knowing what to do

When to do it

And doing it

6/16/2013 8:23:07 PM What Defines A Professional?  
cupocheer
Assumption, IL
68, joined May. 2010

payment for services rendered

6/18/2013 1:01:13 AM What Defines A Professional?  
jpfforyou
Arlington, TX
49, joined Jun. 2013

WHEN YOU HAVE PAID A $80.000 EDUCATION TO GET SOMETHING CALLED A WORK PERMIT. and then pucker up butter cup' and start kissing asses to climb to the top of the shit pile, to attain a big slice of the illusion.

6/28/2013 4:21:03 PM What Defines A Professional?  
joy_4u2
Over 1,000 Posts (1,132)
Fort Payne, AL
54, joined Jun. 2013

You just might be a Professional if... you are paying two house payments for your Stafford Loan.

You just might be a Professional if... it took many years of college to get your degree and the government temporarily owns you and is holding your firstborn as collateral.

Just kiddin'...

6/30/2013 8:05:54 PM What Defines A Professional?  
fifidupre555
Oneida, TN
49, joined Apr. 2013

When you have a state license that says you r.

7/20/2013 7:46:02 PM What Defines A Professional?  
upwardandonward
Phoenix, AZ
35, joined Jun. 2013

You guys are oh so philosophical... LOL!

While the touchy-feely stuff is nice and all, I'm pretty sure that culturally, the word 'professional', in this context, means a person in a long-term job (i.e. a profession), which mostly likely requires a college education and puts you firmly in the middle-class pay bracket. When people say "seeking professional", 99% of the time that's what they're looking for: socioeconomic equals with similar educational background.

[Edited 7/20/2013 7:46:41 PM ]

7/20/2013 10:04:14 PM What Defines A Professional?  
queenofquirky41
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
45, joined Jul. 2013

Then I am by definition a "professional" I hold THREE licences in the Medical Field a State Phlebotomy License (for whicb I take 26 Continuing Education Units every two years to maintain BOTH my STATE and NATIONAL licenses, I also have My Pharmacy Technician licenses again BOTH NATIONAL and STATE and and do 20 hours every two years just so I can maintain the CPhT after my name. And my EKG license. I am an admixture Tech. I make IVs in a Laminar Flow hood and I mix Chemo drugs in a Biologoical Safety Cabinet (Vertical Flow Hood)...for the OP you can kiss my Rosey red arse for saying I am a UNEDUCATED SINGLE MOTHER...Let's see you Take blood from Anybody or for that matter make TPN's or IVs for critically Ill patients. You can kiss my arse because you cannot. And to be clear I must uphold Ethics to FIRST DO NO HARM much like a doctor. I had to take an OATH each time I completed a progrsm. Just watch what you say...there are ALOT of "Single Mothers" some of which make more money then you will see in your lifetime and are far more powerful then you can ever wish to be. Watch who you call names cause you never know when they will be that nurse that is in charge of your care OR that Pharmacy Technician who is carefully mixing your meds too and IS A SINGLE MOTHER.

7/21/2013 1:24:42 AM What Defines A Professional?  
upwardandonward
Phoenix, AZ
35, joined Jun. 2013

Quote from queenofquirky41:
Then I am by definition a "professional" I hold THREE licences in the Medical Field a State Phlebotomy License (for whicb I take 26 Continuing Education Units every two years to maintain BOTH my STATE and NATIONAL licenses, I also have My Pharmacy Technician licenses again BOTH NATIONAL and STATE and and do 20 hours every two years just so I can maintain the CPhT after my name. And my EKG license. I am an admixture Tech. I make IVs in a Laminar Flow hood and I mix Chemo drugs in a Biologoical Safety Cabinet (Vertical Flow Hood)...for the OP you can kiss my Rosey red arse for saying I am a UNEDUCATED SINGLE MOTHER...Let's see you Take blood from Anybody or for that matter make TPN's or IVs for critically Ill patients. You can kiss my arse because you cannot. And to be clear I must uphold Ethics to FIRST DO NO HARM much like a doctor. I had to take an OATH each time I completed a progrsm. Just watch what you say...there are ALOT of "Single Mothers" some of which make more money then you will see in your lifetime and are far more powerful then you can ever wish to be. Watch who you call names cause you never know when they will be that nurse that is in charge of your care OR that Pharmacy Technician who is carefully mixing your meds too and IS A SINGLE MOTHER.

Wow... you're set at 9, the question was at 3. SOMEONE has some security issues...

[Edited 7/21/2013 1:27:30 AM ]

7/21/2013 8:33:43 PM What Defines A Professional?  
queenofquirky41
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
45, joined Jul. 2013

Quote from upwardandonward:
Wow... you're set at 9, the question was at 3. SOMEONE has some security issues... [/quote

You questioned my education in that message you sent me. Painting single mothers with the same brush whether they are Widowed, divorced or otherwise. You are the one who has issues NOT ME. You do not want kids that is your choice just stop going around acting like the imbecile you are. I know several Doctors that happen to be single mothers. Be careful you make BROAD statements about a group of people. You must have a small pecker since you want to knock everybody down a notch so do do feel so damn inferior.

7/21/2013 9:03:21 PM What Defines A Professional?  
upwardandonward
Phoenix, AZ
35, joined Jun. 2013

You questioned my education in that message you sent me. Painting single mothers with the same brush whether they are Widowed, divorced or otherwise. You are the one who has issues NOT ME. You do not want kids that is your choice just stop going around acting like the imbecile you are. I know several Doctors that happen to be single mothers. Be careful you make BROAD statements about a group of people. You must have a small pecker since you want to knock everybody down a notch so do do feel so damn inferior.

I'm not the OP, moron. Read the thread.