Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

adult hookup

Concretely, how would you put that into action? You could tell who had concrete tips about how to generate a diverse and inclusive atmosphere and who said they cared but hadn t place in as much believed but. gay personals in baltimore A terrific conversational starter is regardless of whether or not your date has a pet, connection coach and psychic medium Melinda Carver tells Bustle. Sharing information about past relationships is a important milestone for each couple. is meetme good Those filing on UI.

is free hookup affair legit

The date went so well that we decided to strategy a 4 day trip together for the following weekend — a casual third date. loveland dating Most customers are searching for a long term commitment and intellectual match, and 85 per cent of users have a degree and are between 30 and 55 years old. com is an independent Peloton enthusiast web site owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. sniffies iphone app When it was time to leave, he asked me out for one more date and walked me to my automobile.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

6/21/2015 12:18:38 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (12,479)
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

6/23/2015 9:29:46 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/23/2015 9:58:38 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (37,913)
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

Them stooges git dummer an dummer
As they add ta there ranks all Summer
They're a wannabe joke
All them pigs inna poke
There salvation is Joe the plumber...

6/23/2015 6:50:36 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/23/2015 7:02:50 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,142)
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

I don't even know that they're traitors....

I think they're just dumb f'n red necks

Good for a laugh....

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

6/23/2015 7:55:41 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
xxMJMxx
El Campo, TX
72, joined Oct. 2014

Quote from laffwimme:
I just hate politics and the rhetoric/spin thereof. If folks that are into politics would confine their political views to political threads only that would be sweet. Those of us that aren't into that chit could (and would) avoid those threads. While each side has some interesting and possibly vaild points, much of it is BS and unfounded. Plus, spreading it around ruins other threads.

AMEN

6/23/2015 8:25:58 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/23/2015 8:29:00 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

(this post has been flagged as inappropriate, sorry.)

6/23/2015 8:29:01 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

shezakeeper_2
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,633)
San Antonio, TX
62, joined Jul. 2013

Really ...... Seriously ......... in the Funny Thread ?

6/23/2015 8:46:11 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

This is the first post you have made in this thread....and it isn't funny!

This thread was just about gone due to lack of participation and time lapse and because the OP deleted. If you don't like the posts, don't read them.

6/23/2015 9:12:43 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

shezakeeper_2
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (14,633)
San Antonio, TX
62, joined Jul. 2013

Quote from maggievalleymtn:
This is the first post you have made in this thread....and it isn't funny!

This thread was just about gone due to lack of participation and time lapse and because the OP deleted. If you don't like the posts, don't read them.

I came in to look for something funny and I see it's trashed.

Just because the OP deleted is a lame excuse for you trashing it. I say "YOU" because it seems you put that shoe on so I guess it fits.

In reality the comment was made to the overall fact of turning a thread meant for fun into trash.

And yes, I won't be reading it (the thread) ...... you just go about your merry way. Knock yourselves out.

6/23/2015 9:19:35 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Strike 2...your 2nd post wasn't funny either on the funny none thread....

6/24/2015 6:11:00 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/24/2015 7:16:50 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from morles:
That is what we need is another Joke Thread..

THIS lyin' old mad cow set the mood for this thread. He obviously picks a bone with this OP, or anyone who doesn't follow the rules of the control freaks. Thereafter.... not one control freak posted in here.

The thread died and so did the OP. What's posted in here is none of you control freaks business.

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW YOU!!!!!! GROW UP!!!!!! YOU'RE NO LONGER IN JR HIGH!!!!!!

6/24/2015 7:21:08 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from sankie1:
Whine, moan, gripe, and complain. Now that's hitting the "funny none".

Just saw on the news that a family of 10 children were removed from a home because the parents chose to live off the grid. Their house was not the traditional style and they have no running water or utilities. Pictures of the children look like they are well cared for. The house is neat even if not the traditional model. Looked like a beginning structure with lean to additions added on as well as a tent room serving as the front or living room. When did it become law to have running water and electric in the house where there are children?

^^^^^^^ EXAMPLE of what you control freaks do... "If you don't follow "OUR" rules, we'll blackball you"...

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW YOU!!!!

6/24/2015 10:44:01 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

(this post has been flagged as inappropriate, sorry.)

6/25/2015 7:14:27 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/25/2015 10:59:51 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

I'm so glad that someone, out of the goodness of her heart has saved this thread from the depths of extinction.

God love you Maggie... I'm sure that Don will be forever grateful to you

6/26/2015 12:20:00 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Sleep it off, Lydia...

6/26/2015 1:15:42 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

Get over your insecurities and start your own thread rather than hijacking the thread of someone who has deleted.

As long as you keep sucking off other's threads, you'll have no validity. I agree with your political thinking but you're such a damn pain in the ass, no one is ever going to pay attention to what you post.

6/26/2015 1:28:03 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Obviously you do silly...

6/26/2015 1:37:21 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

Pain in the ass, you are

Go to bed! I have to figure you're a drunk as you assume that I need to "sleep it off"

Good grief...why do I even acknowledge people like you

Say good night mountain/valley lady

I forgot...you do not like being told what to do

6/26/2015 7:48:16 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

mr_magicman2
Boise, ID
76, joined Sep. 2014

Actually I never deleted.

6/26/2015 9:16:38 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

Quote from mr_magicman2:
Actually I never deleted.

I wouldn't say that if I were you. If you didn't delete, but you're here with a new profile, the control freaks will flag THIS new profile as a 'fake'... and you'll be gone...

Obviously the lyin' old mad cow has a bone to pick with you, tryin' ta control what threads you make...

6/26/2015 9:57:37 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Quote from oh_lydia:
Pain in the ass, you are

Go to bed! I have to figure you're a drunk as you assume that I need to "sleep it off"

Good grief...why do I even acknowledge people like you

Say good night mountain/valley lady

I forgot...you do not like being told what to do

I'm beginning to think you are the looniest looney in the 60s. You wait until late at night and pick a fight out of the blue... Try replacing with

6/26/2015 11:36:25 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

All you control freaks should worry about stuff you can control...

Witch is... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHING!!!

(__!__)

6/26/2015 12:09:18 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

toeinthewater11
Over 2,000 Posts (3,016)
Campbell, MO
68, joined Aug. 2011

The Pastor called all the children up to the alter and asked if anyone knew what the Resurrection was. One little boy raised his hand and replied, "THAT IS WHEN IT LASTS MORE THAN FOUR HOURS, AND YOU HAVE TO CALL THE DOCTOR." The Pastor did not hold his composure.

6/26/2015 8:02:52 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/27/2015 4:41:11 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

6/27/2015 8:55:35 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
sankie1
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (10,691)
Irvine, KY
69, joined Dec. 2011

Aren't there more worthy things to worry over than what a flag looks like or what statue is in the state capital. KY is now going through a capital b*tching session of whether a statue should hold residence in the same rotunda with Abraham Lincoln because of it's lineage to the Civil War. Well, it's a fact that at the time there were two presidents, one for the Union, and one for the Confederate.

The Civil War is American History and lot's of things in our culture is related to the era, not just the flag. What about the Civil War enactments? Doesn't that upset anyone? It does serve as a reminder that there was a Civil War, and why. So isn't it important to remember the why?

Where would we be today had there been no Civil War? Just think we could have free laborers, housekeepers, via a deed for real property. Not only that, we would possess a heart that didn't give another human the benefit of being worthy.

While we're complaining about the flag let's not forget the American Indians. That's a part of American History also. What about Stone Mountain, GA. Should it be blasted from the face of the earth? What about Crazy Horse monument? Then there was WWII. and nine one one. Should we just scrap all of history with a thick coat of white wash so it doesn't serve as a reminder that it ever happened?

Leave the Confederacy in place to serve as a reminder that we are here today and can enjoy the freedom we have. No longer are the underground railroads operating (unless it's smuggling drugs or illegals from across the borders). Any and all can get in a vehicle and drive north in plain open view, stop at any eatery along the way and enjoy our food, sleep in any motel we choose, and if we set in the back of the bus, it's because we choose.

Right up through the 80's tenant farmers and coal miners didn't have a life that was much better. Given a meager existence at best and it was not specific to any race. The only requirement was to be a working person and of the poor class. Then welfare came along and took away the American value of the "want to work" so we now have immigrants cleaning the roadsides of trash thrown from car windows, sweating in the heat while mowing and weedeating our lawns, and we have the nerve to look down on them. So if you want to b*tch, pick something that's worthy of the time invested.

6/27/2015 8:58:45 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Over 4,000 Posts! (6,238)
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

One word keeps it alive.....POLITICS

6/27/2015 10:24:24 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
sankie1
Irvine, KY
69, joined Dec. 2011

Yep, and the more the ,,,, is stirred, the more it stinks.

6/27/2015 1:07:04 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

^^^^ that's why your nickname is Stanky...

6/27/2015 1:16:12 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Just ask yourself tomorrow while sitting in church if Jesus would want the Confederate Flag...a flag so hurtful to so many people...to be hanging on Capitol grounds.

6/27/2015 1:19:51 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

orz
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,147)
Portage, WI
67, joined Jul. 2010

Like I said in another thread. If we remove ALL historical references to anything unpleasant, we will become a country that loves EVERYONE with no racism, cultural or nationality biases, with our constitution working perfectly for all. Yeah..right... So lets get rid of all war memorials, erase the holocaust, remove all foreign and Indian names of towns, band white pillow cases, rid our language of the words like fool, moron, idiot, sucker and any others that might have connotation or offend. And totally change the animal instinct to fear things that are different.

6/27/2015 1:22:43 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

I wonder if those that are opposed to the confederate flag know why the South seceded from the Union? I wonder how many think the Civil War was fought over slavery?

6/27/2015 2:31:15 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Maybe I'm simple minded...(no comment, ) but the simple fact that flying the Confederate flag on Capitol grounds is very hurtful to our Black citizens is reason enough to take down that flag at Capitols. Did you know that the South started hanging the Confederate Flags on Capitol grounds IN THE 60s AFTER THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT? You know, desegregation and all...I didn't know until recently.

Fox Not News would rather discuss why the Civil War was fought or blowing up monuments and Stone Mountain than the real issue...the Flag hurts millions and the real history of that flag is why. Surely, not everyone who loves it is a white supremacist, but knowing the pain it causes is enough reason for me to want it down and trust me, one has to be brave to take that stand in my redneck corner of the world.

This is an excerpt from Huff Post about why the damn war was fought...Google this topic yourself, if you don't believe it....many, many articles are in agreement with this one...

John A. Tures Headshot

Political science professor, LaGrange College in Georgia

Proof That The Civil War Was Fought Over Slavery

As the 150th Anniversary of General Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House in Virginia rolls around, some armchair historians and pundits are still battling over what the Civil War was about. It's time to go beyond the rhetoric and read the evidence.

There's actually a way to test whether or not the Civil War was about slavery. It involves reading the words that those Confederate leaders used when they wrote their reasons for leaving the United States. I was able to analyze four secession documents written by states: South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia and Texas.

I tried to find the words "state's rights" in any of them. I tried just about every spelling I could: "states rights," "state rights," "states' rights" or "state's rights." Not a single secession declaration used these words.

Now the word "rights" can be found 14 times, and "right" appear 32 times in these four state secession declarations. But in reality, when the word "rights" or "right" is used, it tends to be "the right to own slaves."

In fact, the word "slave" can be found 82 times in these four state declarations. At times, the states refer to themselves as "the slave-holding states."

Colson also brings up the argument that both sides were sparring over tariffs, but a search of the word "tariff," or any other spelling ("tarrif," "tarif," "tarriff") cannot be found. Tax is mentioned once, and economics or "economy" are not noted.

This doesn't mean that all Southerners approved of slavery. On the subject, General Robert E. Lee wrote of slavery as a moral and political evil, and called for its abolition by the Almighty, something fans of Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty, Ted Nugent and Cliven Bundy (who say slavery wasn't so bad) might want to read. Not all Southerners owned slaves. Many of the poor ones fought to defend their small farms, hurt the most by large plantation owners whose nonexistent labor costs threatened to force them out of business. Those large plantation owners often filled the ranks of the Southern politicians who wrote the very secession documents that led to the Civil War.

John A. Tures is a professor of political science at LaGrange College in LaGrange, Ga. He can be reached at [email protected].

6/27/2015 3:44:23 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

I think it should be MANDATORY that every citizen of this country, whether black or white should read the book, "The Real Lincoln". I am not gonna recite the entire book. I'm not a cutter/paster.

Perhaps the Confederate flag is offensive to some people because they are ignorant to what it stands for. They want to forever believe that the Civil War was fought because of slavery. They do not want to forget and move forward. They want to continue to hate.

Read the book. Initially, Lincoln was as much against the abolishment of slavery as any southerner and stated as much. Lincoln was a tyrant, a dictator. Read the book.

6/27/2015 5:26:20 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Quote from laffwimme:
I think it should be MANDATORY that every citizen of this country, whether black or white should read the book, "The Real Lincoln". I am not gonna recite the entire book. I'm not a cutter/paster.

Perhaps the Confederate flag is offensive to some people because they are ignorant to what it stands for. They want to forever believe that the Civil War was fought because of slavery. They do not want to forget and move forward. They want to continue to hate.

Read the book. Initially, Lincoln was as much against the abolishment of slavery as any southerner and stated as much. Lincoln was a tyrant, a dictator. Read the book.

What does Lincoln's many flaws (to include manic depression) have to do with hanging the Confederate flag on Capitol Grounds in 2015? If YOU READ you will find many Northerners as well as Government notables were not opposed to slavery. Some Presidents owned slaves, but what in the heck does that have to do with flying that flag in the face of those it offends today? It offends the Blacks and many others for a very good reason. The Civil war was fought to preserve the Union because the South succeeded and the South succeeded to preserve slavery, pure and simple. The flag represents a hurtful and disturbing period in our country's history.

Google and you will see the vast majority of articles such as the one above I enclosed support these facts.

No, the people who find the Confederate Flag offensive are not ignorant about what it stands for and do not want to hate. I think the love demonstrated by the Blacks in Charleston after the murders proves this. The Whites who disapprove of taking down the flag are the ones who are want to hold on to their hate. Flying that flag is no different than Germans flying Hitler's Swastika on their Government grounds.

I pray for the hate in America to go away.

[Edited 6/27/2015 5:29:06 PM ]

6/27/2015 6:03:02 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

The South DID NOT secede to preserve slavery. See, that is what I thought. Folks in 2015 believe the South went to war to keep slavery intact. Wrong answer. The federal government was taxing most folks 10%. They were taxing the South 57% and the New England states 25%. New England and the southern states met with France and England and others and negotiated the free trade agreement. Those foreign countries would not tax us....we would not tax them on the goods we imported/exported. Look it up. New England talked about seceding also, but chickened out. The southern states said no way are we going to pay these outrageous taxes. Tell me....would you? Would you continue to pay 57% while others paid 10?

And that, ladies and gentlemen is the rest of the story.

6/27/2015 6:18:19 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

This is the first paragraph of South Carolina's declaration of independence from the Union....

Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union
The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue.

The link....http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

Now don't shoot the messenger

IMHumbleOpinion....The Civil War was about State's Rights.

[Edited 6/27/2015 6:20:24 PM ]

6/27/2015 6:30:42 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

Yep.

6/27/2015 6:31:06 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

You don't seem to be addressing the purpose of my original post: The Confederate flag is offensive to many Americans and should be removed from Capitol grounds.

Excerpt from HistoryNet and there are a ton of articles like this.

Causes Of Secession

Before the Civil War, the country was dividing between North and South. Issues included States Rights and disagreements over tariffs but the greatest divide was on the issue of slavery, which was legal in the South but had gradually been banned by states north of the Mason-Dixon line. As the US acquired new territories in the west, bitter debates erupted over whether or not slavery would be permitted in those territories. Southerners feared it was only a matter of time before the addition of new non-slaveholding states but no new slaveholding states would give control of the government to abolitionists, and the institution of slavery would be outlawed completely. They also resented the notion that a northern industrialist could establish factories, or any other business, in the new territories but agrarian Southern slaveowners could not move into territories where slavery was prohibited because their slaves would then be free .

With the election in 1860 of Abraham Lincoln, who ran on a message of containing slavery to where it currently existed, and the success of the Republican Party to which he belonged – the first entirely regional party in US history – in that election, South Carolina seceded on December 20, 1860, the first state to ever officially secede from the United States. Four months later, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and Louisiana seceded as well. Later Virginia (except for its northwestern counties, which broke away and formed the Union-loyal state of West Virginia), Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee joined them. The people of the seceded states elected Jefferson Davis as president of the newly formed Southern Confederacy.

6/27/2015 6:46:07 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

The Confederate flag represents the States that united (confederated) in opposition to the federal government forcing their rules, regulations and taxes on them. Does that make it a slavery thing? Does that make it a bad thing that Southerners would like to preserve their heritage? It's a flag. A flag that represented what they thought was a new country. We seceded from England. Why can we not secede from the U.S. ?

You pay your 40-57% taxes while I pay my 10% tax. Howz that sound?

6/27/2015 6:53:42 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Pants on Fire! McInnes
"The Civil War wasn't about slavery."
— Gavin McInnes on Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 in a tweet
In defense of Confederate flag, frequent Fox News guest claims Civil War wasn't about slavery

By Jon Greenberg on Thursday, June 25th, 2015 at 4:55 p.m.

The old slave mart building in Charleston, S.C. In 1860, Charleston County had more slaves than any other county in America. (Joan Soulliere via Flickr Creative Commons)
The erratic anti-feminist and purposefully politically incorrect Gavin McInnes added his take on the Confederate flag controversy. McInnes, a frequent Fox News guest, tweeted to more than 50,000 followers on June 23, 2015, that the Confederate flag should continue to fly.

Why? Because, "The Civil War wasn't about slavery," he wrote. "It was about secession."

In a companion tweet, McInnes said anyone, like Northerners, who think the Civil War was about slavery should go to Google. "Look it up," said McInnes, who was born in England and grew up in Canada.

So we did.

We typed in "causes of the Civil War." The first hit was History.net which told us, "The burning issue that led to the disruption of the union, however, was the debate over the future of slavery. That dispute led to secession, and secession brought about a war in which the Northern and Western states and territories fought to preserve the Union, and the South fought to establish Southern independence as a new confederation of states under its own constitution."

The second link on Google was to PBS and its History Detectives series. There we read, "What led to the outbreak of the bloodiest conflict in the history of North America? A common explanation is that the Civil War was fought over the moral issue of slavery. In fact, it was the economics of slavery and political control of that system that was central to the conflict."

No. 3 on the Google hit parade was Americanhistoryabout.com. That page offered five main reasons and the first one was "Economic and social differences between the North and the South." And what were those differences?

Well, slavery.

"With Eli Whitney's invention of the cotton gin in 1793, cotton became very profitable. This machine was able to reduce the time it took to separate seeds from the cotton. However, at the same time the increase in the number of plantations willing to move from other crops to cotton meant the greater need for a large amount of cheap labor, i.e. slaves. Thus, the southern economy became a one crop economy, depending on cotton and therefore on slavery."

In fact, most of the causes listed on that page, four out of five, revolved around slavery, including the growth of the abolition movement, the fight over allowing slavery in new states, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, who was seen as anti-slavery.

The fourth link on Google was from the Civil War Preservation Trust. The trust wrote "The Civil War was the culmination of a series of confrontations concerning the institution of slavery."

Just in case the Internet led us astray, we also reached out to a pair of experts on the history of the Civil War.

They, too, said McInnes got it fundamentally wrong.

Eric Foner, professor of history at Columbia University, used the words of secessionists themselves as proof of their intentions.

"Read South Carolina's Declaration of the causes of secession," Foner said. "It is all about protecting slavery."

Indeed, the first sentence refers to slaveholding states, and throughout, the institution of slavery is the pivot point around which all else turns.

Historian Stephanie McCurry at the University of Pennsylvania points to Mississippi’s declaration of secession. Sentence two begins, "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery."

So just to be clear: Slavery led to secession, which led to the Civil War.

Our ruling

McInnes said that the Civil War wasn’t about slavery. McInnes’ preferred research method, Google, proved him wrong. In the words of the seceding states themselves, the South wanted to secede because it wanted to preserve slavery. That, in turn, started the Civil War.

McInnes’ Twitter profile shows a man staring intently with eyes crossed, which captures the accuracy of tweet.

We rate this claim Pants on Fire.

6/27/2015 7:14:11 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

Quote from laffwimme:
The Confederate flag represents the States that united (confederated) in opposition to the federal government forcing their rules, regulations and taxes on them. Does that make it a slavery thing? Does that make it a bad thing that Southerners would like to preserve their heritage? It's a flag. A flag that represented what they thought was a new country. We seceded from England. Why can we not secede from the U.S. ?

You pay your 40-57% taxes while I pay my 10% tax. Howz that sound?

I agree with you 100%! If the majority of residents of any state feel they should secede......do it

Fly the flag, but don't deny that slavery was a huge part of the Civil War Heck, there were even many slaves who fought for the Confederacy

6/27/2015 7:57:27 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

...and many Yankees owned slaves.

6/27/2015 8:06:11 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

And still do Over worked and under payed. Sad, but true.

6/27/2015 8:12:01 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

One more post here and I'm out. I am not political. I hate all the rhetoric/spin, bull shit and lies. The right wingers lie, the left wingers lie. Everybody lies. Whom do you believe? Truthfully, that is none of my business. I hate to get suckered into the fray when folks debate (scream, holler, yell) politics. I got sucked in today because I am not convinced that the Confederate flag represents slavery. I feel that it is a real and vital and important piece of the American landscape, just as much as was the Revolutionary War. So, call me stupid.....makes me no never-mind. I yam what I yam and it's too damn late to change.

See ya'll (that's Southern by the way)in the funny papers. Toodle OOOOOO.

6/27/2015 8:46:43 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

No lie on my part, Laff... I took it right from the South Carolina's choice to secede.

Oh, what a night

somebody should write a song

6/27/2015 8:47:58 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

6/27/2015 8:58:18 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
oh_lydia
Upton, MA
69, joined May. 2013

Quote from laffwimme:

6/27/2015 9:03:02 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
laffwimme
Bent Mountain, VA
66, joined Jul. 2012

...."shall we gather at the river" ?

6/27/2015 10:31:42 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
sankie1
Irvine, KY
69, joined Dec. 2011

"In 1814 they took a little trip". Someone should write a song.

6/28/2015 9:29:16 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
sankie1
Irvine, KY
69, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from maggievalleymtn:
Just ask yourself tomorrow while sitting in church if Jesus would want the Confederate Flag...a flag so hurtful to so many people...to be hanging on Capitol grounds.

Maggie, I say this in all sincerity.

With your strong convictions, wouldn't you be a hand full to manage should you take on the state capitol (and the powers that be) over this matter. With your enthusiam you appear to be one whom gets their teeth into something, and has enough stamina to not let go.

Why not apply all this energy to the task of getting this on the ballot for the people to decide. With all the people who are hurt by the sight of this flag, don't you think it's possible to have the state capitol over run with people who wish to have the confederate flag removed? Enough people show up and the powers that be would have to take notice. It would stop them in their tracks, or put them onto the next flight out of state just to get out of sight. This would catch the eye of every camera in all 50 states, and it would hit the news like wildfire. It would most certainly hang the dirty laundry out for the world to see. They can't hold up to that.

What I can't understand is why these things have to be decided by elected officials instead of being put on the ballot for the people to decide. I most certainly think it should be the peoples choice.

Good Luck.

6/28/2015 10:31:16 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

I say with sincerity, to all wannabe's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWKmSBlQNI8

(__!__)

6/28/2015 11:03:11 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

maggievalleymtn
North Myrtle Beach, SC
64, joined Jun. 2013

Quote from sankie1:
Maggie, I say this in all sincerity.

With your strong convictions, wouldn't you be a hand full to manage should you take on the state capitol (and the powers that be) over this matter. With your enthusiam you appear to be one whom gets their teeth into something, and has enough stamina to not let go.

Why not apply all this energy to the task of getting this on the ballot for the people to decide. With all the people who are hurt by the sight of this flag, don't you think it's possible to have the state capitol over run with people who wish to have the confederate flag removed? Enough people show up and the powers that be would have to take notice. It would stop them in their tracks, or put them onto the next flight out of state just to get out of sight. This would catch the eye of every camera in all 50 states, and it would hit the news like wildfire. It would most certainly hang the dirty laundry out for the world to see. They can't hold up to that.

What I can't understand is why these things have to be decided by elected officials instead of being put on the ballot for the people to decide. I most certainly think it should be the peoples choice.

Good Luck.

Sanki, are you STILL trying to tell me what to do? Why don't YOU spend all of YOUR energy on getting this issue accomplished.....getting your beloved Confederate flag put on a ballot for the people to decide rather than elected officials. Just transfer that pit bull tenacity that you use on telling me what to do and minding my business and transfer it to Columbis, SC.

Republican Governor Haley announced the flag would be coming down...so if you are unhappy with her decision or how it was made, perhaps you need to trot your pit bull self down to Columbia and tell her what to do...it should be easy for you!

Didn't you mentioned that you were unhappy with politics being posted on this thread and that it only stirs shit....(just look above and you will find your posts somewhere )....well, what ARE YOU doing? Control freak!

6/28/2015 11:18:16 AM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  
shaggyoledog
Ocean Shores, WA
69, joined Apr. 2011

Skankie ain't no control freak. She's just a wannabe control freak. This is her initiation. What she don't know is, this is like that trickle down kraap. They ain't NEVER gonna let her inta the gang...

6/28/2015 1:31:32 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

orz
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (13,147)
Portage, WI
67, joined Jul. 2010

I get tired of every do-gooder thinking they can make a perfect world if only. A symbol is just that..a convenient symbol. Depriving someone of a symbol is not going to make them a loving kind person. They will be the same minus it or just find another. I am not Christian. Do you see me picketing a church for displaying a cross at Easter or nativity at Christmas? Do I yell at someone who is wearing a cross necklace or tattoo. No. I dont care. Means nothing to me. If someone wants to decorate their yards with crosses and bleeding hearts and stand outside quoting the bible... so what. I can walk away. I dislike the fact that government meetings start with a prayer. Separation of church and state. So be it. I stand there and think about something else. A stock car race starts with the Star Spangled banner. I find it an insult to the flag to be part of a silly sports event. So be it. Not my call. I dont go knocking on a door to b*tch them out because their flag is out in the dark or rain. Not my business. The flag is not to be worn as ornament. Dont see me accosting someone with a t-shirt with the flag on it.
We have become a nation of but-in-skis.

6/28/2015 3:41:24 PM Hitting The Funny None | Page 2  

mr_magicman2
Boise, ID
76, joined Sep. 2014

Well said , Orz