Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

mega personal personal classifieds

It is cuffing season, so that Tube crush you re hoping to come across on Happn is likely just as desperate as you are to couple up and hunker down for winter. dallas asian girls Bumble utilizes your GPS location to discover persons in your region who fit your age criteria. Every of of these blocks are in the form of APIs that can be integrated into a new or an current app/website to improve its capabilities and functionality with minimum development work. websites like fetlife As this is 2021, all of these services, even the decades old Match, present each iPhone apps and Android apps.

hookup like craigslist

You ll also get to hear about some of her strengths and what motivates her. hook up in santa rosa ca But it has evolved considering the fact that then to be the ultimate icebreaker dating app. But until persons start out learning the art of a conversation , I guess we can all tell each and every other how our day was. dating services in sri lanka , my building).

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Groups

10/7/2008 5:31:01 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

literarylioness
Oakland, CA

Quote from krathnami:
Absolutely ridiculous. All the women I've been cautious around have been smarter than me. It's always intelligence that makes a woman more beautiful and intimidating.

The "intimidating" part says it all. Most people do not want to be intimidated by another. Let me give you Websters definition of intimidation: 1)to make fearful: frighten 2) to discourage, coerce, or surpress by fear. Now either you do not know what the word "intimidate" means or you misused it. Either way, intimidating another does not evoke warm and fuzzy feelings in either gender.

Do you know what is is like to have a guy say "half of the time I don't know what you're talking about" or "please don't talk over my head." My favorite quote from a brief date was "I feel like I am having dinner with my history professor." None of these guys were dumb by any stretch of the imagination. I thought we could have an exchange of ideas, but they thought they were watching the History Channel.

I don't think it is lack of intelligent women that is your problem

10/7/2008 5:48:43 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  
greyson101
Port Saint Lucie, FL

I 'm totally attracted to intelligent men.......You(aka.BOOGER)......NOT!

[Edited 10/7/2008 5:49:56 AM]

10/7/2008 5:53:07 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

wisegirl33
Queensland
Australia

NOt put off by intelligence, but put off by arrogance. Unfortunately, I have usually met men who are intelligent and who want everybody to know it.

Regards to you - wisegirl33 - 7 Oct 08 at 1056pm Aest

10/7/2008 5:55:19 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

lust4love
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,400)
Atco, NJ

Because Intelligent Men tell them things they don't like to hear like THE TRUTH!

[Edited 10/7/2008 5:56:24 AM]

10/7/2008 7:36:19 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

oldeschoolcharm
Over 1,000 Posts (1,747)
Monroe, WA

Quote from desmond1108:
I hate it when people make the claim that it is "easy to get laid". I happen to believe that trying to get laid is one of the things that most guys are least successful at. And the smarter a guy is, the less capable he is of mastering that bullshit. That's because it doesn't come natural to them, and it's not logical.

Women tend to equate sex with love and commitment, and are often afraid to give it up too quickly out of fear of being "too easy". Or they put you in the Friend Zone.

There are many other differences, but they all boil down to the fact that women are more reluctant than men to have casual sex. And as far as meaningful sex goes, they seem to want to wait longer for that as well.

See, this is what I, at first glance, would label "stupid". Desmondll08 does not understand what I wrote, which was, "It isn't about getting laid. Any troglodyte can do that. And any smart man can master the bullshit to get there if the initial attraction is present."

Nowhere did I say it was "easy to get laid".

I noted that, if there is a physical attraction, a smart man can feed a stupid woman the bullshit necessary to overcome any inhibitions she has.

Desmondll08, and others, might retort that I am "splitting hairs". But, at the root of intelligent debate is an interest in the subtlety of the differences one is debating -- the not the obvious points.

Of course, a smart and honorable man would devalue the importance of sex in a relationship, dislike any woman who would fall for such a line, and seek an intelligent, honorable woman.

10/7/2008 7:42:53 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

oldeschoolcharm
Over 1,000 Posts (1,747)
Monroe, WA

Quote from literarylioness:
Alright guys, you say you want a smart woman. What if I got into deep discussion about John Milton's Paradise Lost versus Plato's the Cave? What if I asked you how you guys feel about the way Milton characterized Satan versus the way Plato expressed human darkness? Would you guys be up on that discussion?

What if I wanted to discuss Shakespeare's influence on Hemingway or Faulkner?

Any takers?

Hell, yes (with apologies to Dante)!

Though, I will quickly admit that my strengths lie in scientific pursuits, more than literature and philosophy.

Still, as a libertarian, I have some knowledge as well as interest in both subjects, and would welcome the experience. In this area, I have the basics covered, and would be happy to learn more, rather in the role of the eager, sharp-minded, student.

What I lack in this regard, is not intelligence, I think, but knowledge of the subject matter, which I would happily like to gain.

Now, would you be up to a discussion of the difficulties managing complexity in computer software?

10/7/2008 12:05:04 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  
waw1961
Cave Junction, OR

I am never put off by a smart man.

What puts me off is the ones who need to show off constantly about everything they know.
Or the ones who feel the need to correct everything I say and it might have only been an observation I was making.
No need for a two hour conversation on the mating habits of birds.
ok well if I ask you about it I would deserve a two hour conversation
but please don't lecture me on it unless asked.
Sometimes it is just about how I am feeling and in that case I hate for a man or anyone for that matter to tell correct me and explain to me why I couldn't possibly feel that way.

The men who are not only smart but comfortable in who they are now they are the ones that are a turn on.

10/7/2008 12:11:31 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  
waw1961
Cave Junction, OR

Quote from sedonaphotofan:
Coming from me some will laugh, however before getting into the brainy power stuff, maybe just light conversation for starters.

There are a lot of brainy women here, a lot will keep up with you so i don't think that is it. Most i believe and this is just me, they love intelligent conversation, instead of f this and F that.

Karl in Sedona

You couldn't be more right if you tried. Take a lesson here people.

10/7/2008 12:28:13 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

tncutie64698
Spring City, TN

Quote from krathnami:
Now, I'm not saying I'm MENSA level genius or anything, however, I have noticed a tendency in some, not all, but a good handful of women will not give me the time of day upon the realization that my intelligence surpasses their own in some areas people of a certain pedigree would consider to be elite discussion.

I have little to no interest in topics such as the history of their personal relationships and their self interests.

Is love even possible given such friction?

I think women are turned off by condescension and arrogance. If someone feels the need to remind you of their supposed level of higher intelligence, then obviously they're not intelligent enough to realize how annoying that is. Personally I love intelligent, even geeky men! My late husband WAS a MENSA member and I loved that about him.

As far as you not having any interest in a womans relationship history or whatever else, does that mean you're self-absorbed? I mean, you need to know 'some' of that to understand where they're coming from, right?

10/7/2008 12:54:22 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

rocket000
Murrayville, GA

My well educated, professional women friends and I find if challenging to find single, age appropriate, educated men who are not fat and bald, visit their dentist, don't smoke or wear baseball caps.

Sometimes it's not the message but the way it's DELIVERED. While some people consider themselves intelligent others may find them a boor.

I'd respectfully suggest you speak to a few close friends and relatives and ask them their opinion about "why" they think you're having this problem. This means you will have to be QUIET and LISTEN. Don't turn the topic into a debate. If they're reticent to share specifics then YOU might try asking them questions and let them know it's ok for them to be candid. I'm willing to be you will probably find a common thread.

Ex:

Do you think I talk too much?

When I'm debating do I come across as arrogant or a know it all?

Do I appear to talk "down" to woman?

Do I take the time to actually "listen" to what a woman has to say?

Do I belittle certain activities a woman enjoys such as shopping, hair and nails, shopping for clothes or working out? You may think you're doing this in a joking manner but guess what? You're probably turning them off.

Are the woman I'm selecting to date on my intellectual level or do I continually pick less educated women because I have low self esteem and feel better about myself?

Do I have certain habits that might be a turn off for women, ie: personal hygiene, weight, smoking, poor table manners, not being a gentleman?

Good luck to you!

10/7/2008 5:54:00 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

literarylioness
Oakland, CA

"Now, would you be up to a discussion of the difficulties managing complexity in computer software?"

My hobbies are economics and physical anthropology. I have a theory about the human sense of smell and identification of mates. Computers pretty much bore me, as does mathmatics.

Milton's Satan wanted to prove God wrong and in a sense rule heaven, which in so many ways speaks of Plato's idea of humans struggling to leave the Cave of darkness/mindless being into the light of truth/self-knowledge. Milton, a classist, developed much of his ideas about the abandonment of Heaven for Hell, I believe, based on Plato's ideas of the Cave. I do not think Milton did it consciously, but it is definitely evident in the text.

Shakespeare's mighty hand is quite evident in Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. It is a Southern Troilus and Cressida in so many ways. Follow me on this, Shakespeare's fall of Troy with Faulkners fall of the South. The ambiguity that both writers use to tell their stories is also apparent.

Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises has elements of Shakespeare's Othello and Coriolanus. Othello as the emotionally impotent man versus Hemingway's physically impotent Jake. The fall of American society (Depression) and the fall of Roman society in Coriolanus.

10/7/2008 6:49:31 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

katrinasq
Mena, AR

Lioness and Oldeschool need to meet.

10/7/2008 9:27:24 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  
greyson101
Port Saint Lucie, FL

[quote header]Quote from krathnami:[/quote header]
Snot true! Snot true at all! Hey, Greyson, it doesn't say gullible anywhere on your screen. Maddening isn't it?
BOOGER...listen...I truly feel sad and sorry for you........Don't check-out my profile......Well, you are just not in my league......By "my league" I mean you are not in mine because......Well....you are a BOOGER. So go away...ewwwwwwww. I feel sorry for you...DO NOT contact me in anyway....Just GO AWAY......PLZ. don't make a fool out of yourself anymore.

[Edited 10/7/2008 9:30:49 PM]

10/7/2008 9:55:45 PM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

susansheart839
Over 1,000 Posts (1,525)
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Quote from krathnami:
Now, I'm not saying I'm MENSA level genius or anything, however, I have noticed a tendency in some, not all, but a good handful of women will not give me the time of day upon the realization that my intelligence surpasses their own in some areas people of a certain pedigree would consider to be elite discussion.

Science, Philosophy, Politics, and Theology all seem to strike a negative chord with the women I've been seeing recently. While, on the other hand, I have little to no interest in topics such as the history of their personal relationships and their self interests.

Is love even possible given such friction?

Are you f**king kidding me??????????? You are so self absorbed with your yet unproven intelligence...you don't want to hear about a woman's past - which, by the way, helped to make her the woman she is today...you think you are superior over women - which leads me to believe you actually are intimidated by them and hate them for feeling that way...and what kind of pedigree do you possess? Jackass of the Year????

You are not looking for love, buddy boy. You are looking for a yes girl. Good luck, jackass!

10/8/2008 8:33:37 AM Why do many women seem to be put off by intelligent men?  

oldeschoolcharm
Over 1,000 Posts (1,747)
Monroe, WA

Quote from literarylioness:
"Now, would you be up to a discussion of the difficulties managing complexity in computer software?"

My hobbies are economics and physical anthropology. I have a theory about the human sense of smell and identification of mates. Computers pretty much bore me, as does mathmatics.

Milton's Satan wanted to prove God wrong and in a sense rule heaven, which in so many ways speaks of Plato's idea of humans struggling to leave the Cave of darkness/mindless being into the light of truth/self-knowledge. Milton, a classist, developed much of his ideas about the abandonment of Heaven for Hell, I believe, based on Plato's ideas of the Cave. I do not think Milton did it consciously, but it is definitely evident in the text.

Let's start with Milton v. Plato, then. I see the parallel you're drawing, but note several aspects of both works that suggest they are more opposite than alike.

In "The Allegory of The Cave," from Plato's "Republic", he has Socrates in a dialogue with his student about the difference between knowledge and ignorance, and how, once enlightened, ignorance is a depressing plight. Plato, through Socrates, reveres knowledge and seeks to ascend to an enlightened world. Further, this also represents power -- the ability to be free of the means of controlling the masses, through their fear and ignorance.

Milton, particularly in "Paradise Regained" addressed the temptations of Christ, and how he overcomes them, to return to paradise. It isn't so much a rejection of knowledge in favor of ignorance (as told in the story of the Garden of Eden) as a temperament of it with patience and waiting.

I see Milton as refining both the themes in Genesis and in the Republic -- Genesis describes knowledge as sin, Plato as power, and Milton as a double-edged sword.

But, I have to apologize. Comparative literature is not my strength, so criticize away! I was drawn toward the harder sciences because of the "neatness" of "one right answer", "one true way" -- if the compiler finds a syntax error, no amount of debating will make it not so. If the program works correctly, no amount of debating will show it is "wrong" (except for creative definitions of "wrong", like, perhaps "slow"). I suppose that neatness can be boring. But, the design of software that is easier to understand and maintain involves a lot of non-technical decisions that relate more to our ability to manage complexity.