Select your best hookup:
Local
Gay
Asian
Latin
East Europe

mega personal reviews

Men and women ordinarily have a story about why they do not eat particular foods. denver free dating services Some folks uncover that it s significant to retain their own friendships although in a relationship, even though other people don t want to invest their social time apart. Once the matter is reported, the EBT card will be deactivated so the added benefits can not be utilized by any individual else. pof priority message Open ended queries let the other particular person to express their correct, genuine self, says Courtney Tracy, LCSW, PsyD, a therapist and partnership expert.

do online hookup sites work

For example, Dilli dilwalon ki , FRIENDS fan club , Music lovers . where to meet single men on long island Discussions on how to start out and keep a good partnership. I also find it extremely useful to be pretty close to people who share a lot of core values but are not entirely aligned/identities are not too related. is secureonlinedates com legit So in essence, he leaked the image out by himself — to the rest of his good friends and loved ones.

Home  Sign In  Search  Date Ideas  Join  Forums  Singles Groups  - 100% FREE Online Dating, Join Now!

9/17/2012 10:38:17 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Over 7,500 Posts!! (9,299)
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from clarencec:
Do you mean mishtake or shitake mushrooms?

That was the soup John of Patmos made for himself on a daily basis. They grew all over on that island. That's a hell of a lot of shitty mushrooms to have in one's diet.

Meet singles at DateHookup.dating, we're 100% free! Join now!

DateHookup.dating - 100% Free Personals

9/17/2012 10:45:01 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from jim_a49:
I am curious where you got that info,......

What part? That 300 year window? I'm curious myself but as I said I'm looking for more information but what I tried to explain was the neurological reasons that may have caused Islam to go into the dark ages after a 300 year pursuit of math and science. Most of stars and mathematical expressions have an Arabic origin so what went on and what killed it? I provided a major clues and regardless of the history a damaged hippocampus is causal for superstitious beliefs whatever the history. That goes for rats and probably the hippopotamus too.

[Edited 9/17/2012 10:45:42 AM ]

9/17/2012 10:48:38 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (40,273)
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from iyamwutiyam:
What part? That 300 year window? I'm curious myself but as I said I'm looking for more information but what I tried to explain was the neurological reasons that may have caused Islam to go into the dark ages after a 300 year pursuit of math and science. Most of stars and mathematical expressions have an Arabic origin so what went on and what killed it? I provided a major clues and regardless of the history a damaged hippocampus is causal for superstitious beliefs whatever the history. That goes for rats and probably the hippopotamus too.

We do know the arabe had a better degree of astronony knowledge than most, but there is good reason.
They needed the stars to navigate the desert by, and they were it's gods.

Not a whole bunch else to do in the desert, but all of this pre-dates islam and muslims.

9/17/2012 10:57:12 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

xashax
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (49,536)
Union, NH
45, joined May. 2009

I don't know Jim. You seem a bit hyper critical of the desert and its inhabitants. There is something to be said for the majestic beauty of the shimmering sands, its indigenous peolpe and its enduring culture.

9/17/2012 10:59:18 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Certainly mirages come to mind and if there is anything religion produces so well, its the mirage.

9/17/2012 11:10:42 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from xashax:
I don't know Jim. You seem a bit hyper critical of the desert and its inhabitants. There is something to be said for the majestic beauty of the shimmering sands, its indigenous peolpe and its enduring culture.

i know, it's easy for us to look at a manificent picture of the sand formations, but when you live there, and realize you can't eat the sand, it gets in everything, it blows into huge storms, it is virtually impossable to cross, and it is hot, hot, hot, it looses it's lustre.
also it has no resources to invent anything but a sandbox.

9/17/2012 11:14:45 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

xashax
Union, NH
45, joined May. 2009

That was the intended point of my comment. These peolpe have in fact adapted and thrived in what can be a very harsh and unforgiving environment so in my humble opinion, it is very difficult to take seriously a person living here who simply wants to criticize them for not being Americans.

9/17/2012 11:21:47 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from xashax:
That was the intended point of my comment. These peolpe have in fact adapted and thrived in what can be a very harsh and unforgiving environment so in my humble opinion, it is very difficult to take seriously a person living here who simply wants to criticize them for not being Americans.

People do that here also, Have you ever been to alaska.
I realize they are surviving, and if it was not for western tech many would die off right now.
I am not critizing them for not being americans, but they have contributed virtually nothing to society, and if it were not for western tech, they would be back in the stone age as soon as their batteries went dead.
They breed like rats, amd discriminate against everything, mainly non-muslims and women.

9/17/2012 11:23:21 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

xashax
Union, NH
45, joined May. 2009

Never mind then. Let the bash fest commence. Carry on.

9/17/2012 12:16:53 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

I'm trying to find more information Islam's 300 year period. We identified Al-Ghazali and what likely caused his mind to engage in delusional superstition at a pathological level. Brain damage alone would have been enough for him but why would others believe and follow after having experienced the fruits of scientific inquiry? Did Christianity play any part in this? Did Christians help corrupt Muslims they were in contact with and/or Al-Ghazali's directly? Its a fair question because we know what Christians murdered scientists, destroyed libraries, put Galileo under house arrest and murdered Georgio Bruno. We know Christians today in the Bible Belt freak out at scientific facts about evolution and global warming for example.

Hippocampus damage may have affected Christians independently as these two religions were and are both out of touch with reality by a possible common cause and having the same result yet not necessarily having to influence one another. But they did interact so its a fair question they likely did influence each others thinking. What I'm saying is they didn't have to. I just want to know if they did what were the circumstances of when and how.

[Edited 9/17/2012 12:18:51 PM ]

9/17/2012 12:24:02 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
chrisbrz
Over 10,000 Posts!!! (15,780)
Wilmette, IL
42, joined May. 2011

Quote from jim_a49:
Stephen Schwartz
Executive Director, Center for Islamic Pluralism

Essential principles shared by most Muslim Sufis include emphasis on commonalities with other faiths and traditions, which has contributed to improved relations between Muslims and Jews, Christians, Buddhists and other non-Islamic believers. Commentators concerned to denigrate Islam altogether have asserted that Sufis, even if they embody moderation and mutual respect among people of religion, comprise no more than 5 percent of the world's Muslims. Since the importance of Sufism stands, in the minds of many Westerners, on demographic measurement, let us therefore ask: How many Sufis are found in the Muslim world

Damn,
Talk about giving yourself away dude. Or maybe you don't understand what you type?

Anyways its in black and white in the article I posted the link for.

But for those that didn't click on the article I post the question and answer here.

US News & World Report-
From the article "Paying Attention to the other Islam."

Of the some 1.2 billion Muslims today, approximately how many are Sufi's?

Husain Haqqani, who is now Pakistans Ambassador to the United States, had a conversation with me about this, and he said that we were pretty legitimate in saying that half of the Muslims in the world either are Sufi's or consider themselves to be pretty much under Sufi influence or in some ways follow Sufi precepts.

When you start breaking it down demographically and look at large Muslim societies like India, Indonesia, Egypt, Morocco, French-speaking west Africa, Turkey, and some parts of Central Asia, that figure of about half makes sense.

I've developed the proposition that you have two kinds of Sufism. You have a kind of generally diffuse Sufism in Muslim societies where basically the Islam of the whole society is very saturated with Sufism.
Indonesia is one specific example of this.

Then, overlapping with that, you have societies with the organized teriqat(orders), where Sufism is a social institution.

In countries like Morocco, Kosovo, Turkey, Sufism is really belonging to a movement, going on Tuesday or Saturday night to dhikrs( ceremonies devoted to remembering God); its having a sheik and going to regular lectures, and participating in some of the social-welfare activities.

9/17/2012 12:29:53 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Al-Ghazali was Sufi so maybe we're getting closer to some answers.

9/17/2012 1:37:36 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from chrisbrz:
Quote from jim_a49:
Stephen Schwartz
Executive Director, Center for Islamic Pluralism

Essential principles shared by most Muslim Sufis include emphasis on commonalities with other faiths and traditions, which has contributed to improved relations between Muslims and Jews, Christians, Buddhists and other non-Islamic believers. Commentators concerned to denigrate Islam altogether have asserted that Sufis, even if they embody moderation and mutual respect among people of religion, comprise no more than 5 percent of the world's Muslims. Since the importance of Sufism stands, in the minds of many Westerners, on demographic measurement, let us therefore ask: How many Sufis are found in the Muslim world

Damn,
Talk about giving yourself away dude. Or maybe you don't understand what you type?

Anyways its in black and white in the article I posted the link for.

But for those that didn't click on the article I post the question and answer here.

US News & World Report-
From the article "Paying Attention to the other Islam."

Of the some 1.2 billion Muslims today, approximately how many are Sufi's?

Husain Haqqani, who is now Pakistans Ambassador to the United States, had a conversation with me about this, and he said that we were pretty legitimate in saying that half of the Muslims in the world either are Sufi's or consider themselves to be pretty much under Sufi influence or in some ways follow Sufi precepts.

When you start breaking it down demographically and look at large Muslim societies like India, Indonesia, Egypt, Morocco, French-speaking west Africa, Turkey, and some parts of Central Asia, that figure of about half makes sense.

I've developed the proposition that you have two kinds of Sufism. You have a kind of generally diffuse Sufism in Muslim societies where basically the Islam of the whole society is very saturated with Sufism.
Indonesia is one specific example of this.

Then, overlapping with that, you have societies with the organized teriqat(orders), where Sufism is a social institution.

In countries like Morocco, Kosovo, Turkey, Sufism is really belonging to a movement, going on Tuesday or Saturday night to dhikrs( ceremonies devoted to remembering God); its having a sheik and going to regular lectures, and participating in some of the social-welfare activities.

i don't think you read the article.

That's pretty vague, it's like saying all Americans follow some kind of Vegetarianism

9/17/2012 1:49:37 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Chriss,
You have to be careful reading anything abot muslims, by a muslim, because of a propensity to lie about it. After all it is in the religion to lie.

There are three main branches of Islam – Sunni, Shiite and Sufi. Sunnis make up almost 85 percent of the Muslim population globally, while Shiites account for perhaps 13 percent. (Sunnis are estimated to account for about 90 percent of U.S. Muslims.) Sunnis and Shiites split in the 7th century over who should succeed the Prophet Muhammad.

Sufism is a far smaller, mystical branch of Islam, more a type of Islamic practice than a stand-alone denomination. Besides Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam behind the Lower Manhattan Islamic center, the 13th-century Persian poet Rumi was probably the best-known exemplar of Sufism to most Americans (followed by Yusuf Islam, the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens, who became a Sufi Muslim).

Sufism is much smaller than the other two branches, and to make matters more complicated, its adherents can identify as either Sunni or Shiite. And Sufis are often the object of prejudice and persecution from other Muslims, as William Dalrymple explained in a recent New York Times op-ed.

Just type what persentage of muslims are sufi, and you will get lots of hits, and you can bet when the morality police show up, they are not sufi anymore.

9/17/2012 5:59:49 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Over 4,000 Posts! (5,455)
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

Sufi fundamental principals as composed by Hazrat inyat Kahn:

"To further elaborate on the mission and the methods employed to develop one's inner life, Inayat wrote:

There are ten principal Sufi thoughts which comprise all the important subjects with which the inner life of man is concerned:

1) There is one God, the Eternal, the Only Being; none else exists save God.

2) There is one Master, the Guiding Spirit of all souls, who constantly leads all followers towards the light.

3) There is one Holy Book, the sacred manuscript of nature, which truly enlightens all readers.

4) There is one Religion, the unswerving progress in the right direction towards the ideal, which fulfils the life's purpose of every soul.

5) There is one Law, the law of Reciprocity, which can be observed by a selfless conscience together with a sense of awakened justice.

6) There is one human Brotherhood, the Brotherhood and Sisterhood which unites the children of earth indiscriminately in the Fatherhood of God.

7) There is one Moral Principle, the love which springs forth from self-denial, and blooms in deeds of beneficence.

8) There is one Object of Praise, the beauty which uplifts the heart of its worshipper through all aspects from the seen to the unseen.

9) There is one Truth, the true knowledge of our being within and without which is the essence of all wisdom.

10) There is one Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality and in which resides all perfection.

The objectives of the Sufi path:

1) To realize and spread the knowledge of unity, the religion of love and wisdom, so that the bias of faiths and beliefs may of itself fall away, the human heart may overflow with love, and all hatred caused by distinctions and differences may be rooted out.

2) To discover the light and power latent in man, the secret of all religion, the power of mysticism, and the essence of philosophy, without interfering with customs or belief.

3) To help to bring the world's two opposite poles, East and West, closer together by the interchange of thought and ideals, that the Universal Brotherhood may form of itself, and man may see with man beyond the narrow national and racial boundaries."

I find it difficult to entertain any notion that this here muslim is a theat to modern civilisation.

9/17/2012 6:26:55 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from asanb:

I find it difficult to entertain any notion that this here muslim is a theat to modern civilisation.

Yet Islamic theocracies are a threat to modern civilization. You could post the Sermon on the Mount too yet Christianity has murdered more people and destroyed civilization more than any other religion including Islam.

But where did the Islamic pursuit of science go? Why did it stop?

9/17/2012 6:35:40 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

You guys who think that Islam and all other religions are evil are missing the point. Any human institution can be corrupted by it's leadership or by misdirected intentions of it's followers.
There is nothing that can corrupt a sincere prayer, and prayer is the essence of all religion. You can spout off that you don't believe in prayer and would never think to practice it, and you would be lying. Everyone prays.

When your kid is sick and you sit and yearn for relief for him/her, you are praying.
When you are experiencing the joy of some simple task or pastime, you are praying
When you are in focused attention to listening to someone else’s problem and trying to be a good listener, you are praying.
When your lover cries in your arms and you hurt for her, you are praying.
when you focus your mind on some choice of right or wrong action in your life, you are praying.
When your intention and intellect and emotions and actions are in harmony it is a very powerful prayer.

It's a fundamental function of being a human being with awareness, because awareness is all we are, and awareness is a shared attribute of every human being and everything that is alive.

Sufis and Christian mystics and Spiritual people in general tend to focus their prayers inward, seeking connection. When that is achieved outer labels of religion, nationality, race become meaningless.

9/17/2012 6:50:34 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

@ Iam:

"Yet Islamic theocracies are a threat to modern civilization. You could post the Sermon on the Mount too yet Christianity has murdered more people and destroyed civilization more than any other religion including Islam.

But where did the Islamic pursuit of science go? Why did it stop?"

You are not wrong, but there are those who turn thier faces upward despite the culture surounding themand try to do the right thing regardless of dogma. And they are not unique to thiesm, athiesm, or any other circumstance of birth.

I'm a white guy and MY predecessors commited atrocities on a number of people, starting with the NA and progressing westwards beyond the shores and into the philipenes, another genocide.

I'm not wearing any guilt or blame for that just because I'm white, I know better and try to promote ideas that question those kind of activities.
You can't condemn all white people because of the actions of a few, and you can't logicaly vilify any religion broadside for the same reason.
I'm glad that you speak up for logic and reason, BTW there isn't enough of that.

9/17/2012 7:25:10 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
chrisbrz
Wilmette, IL
42, joined May. 2011

Quote from asanb:
You guys who think that Islam and all other religions are evil are missing the point. Any human institution can be corrupted by it's leadership or by misdirected intentions of it's followers.
There is nothing that can corrupt a sincere prayer, and prayer is the essence of all religion. You can spout off that you don't believe in prayer and would never think to practice it, and you would be lying. Everyone prays.

When your kid is sick and you sit and yearn for relief for him/her, you are praying.
When you are experiencing the joy of some simple task or pastime, you are praying
When you are in focused attention to listening to someone else’s problem and trying to be a good listener, you are praying.
When your lover cries in your arms and you hurt for her, you are praying.
when you focus your mind on some choice of right or wrong action in your life, you are praying.
When your intention and intellect and emotions and actions are in harmony it is a very powerful prayer.

It's a fundamental function of being a human being with awareness, because awareness is all we are, and awareness is a shared attribute of every human being and everything that is alive.

Sufis and Christian mystics and Spiritual people in general tend to focus their prayers inward, seeking connection. When that is achieved outer labels of religion, nationality, race become meaningless.

I'm tempted to reply nonsense,
However I believe its a matter of semantics. Different folks have interpretations of what prayer is.
For instance the Baha'i teach that anytime one is engaging in making Art, that they are in prayer.
So its in how one defines it.

If I were to say I don't pray I wouldn't be lying because I think of praying as the invoking a God entity, something that I'm not capable of doing because I don't have a belief in any God figure.

Its semantics, your statement of saying people would be lying isn't warranted.

By the way did you get a chance to read that article on Sufism at the US News and World Report?
I thought it was interesting.

9/17/2012 7:52:10 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from chrisbrz:
I'm tempted to reply nonsense,
However I believe its a matter of semantics. Different folks have interpretations of what prayer is.
For instance the Baha'i teach that anytime one is engaging in making Art, that they are in prayer.
So its in how one defines it.

If I were to say I don't pray I wouldn't be lying because I think of praying as the invoking a God entity, something that I'm not capable of doing because I don't have a belief in any God figure.

Its semantics, your statement of saying people would be lying isn't warranted.

By the way did you get a chance to read that article on Sufism at the US News and World Report?
I thought it was interesting.

chriss

Lying ,and streaching the truth, may be what is at stake here.
sufi is a bonafide branch of islam, a small one, but a branch, as is Baha'i, but they are not the same as Sunni or Shia, though parts of it can be shared, which was the exageration used in your post.
Both are discriminated against by the larger branches, and yes these two are probably the least to worry about in the islamic world.
ut they are such a tiny percentage they hardly represent islam.

9/17/2012 8:03:55 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
chrisbrz
Wilmette, IL
42, joined May. 2011

Quote from jim_a49:
chriss

Lying ,and streaching the truth, may be what is at stake here.
sufi is a bonafide branch of islam, a small one, but a branch, as is Baha'i, but they are not the same as Sunni or Shia, though parts of it can be shared, which was the exageration used in your post.
Both are discriminated against by the larger branches, and yes these two are probably the least to worry about in the islamic world.
ut they are such a tiny percentage they hardly represent islam.

Jim stop having tunnel vision,
My post you quoted, was about Asanb saying some would be lying if they said they don't pray.

How you got that response out of the post is beyond me?

We already discussed the percent of Sufi's, I think the article paints a different demographic than you suggest but we will have to agree to disagree its not anything I'm losing sleep over.
And it wasn't what my post you quoted was about.

[Edited 9/17/2012 8:05:42 PM ]

9/17/2012 8:11:33 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

By your last two sentences.

9/17/2012 8:27:18 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from asanb:
@ Iam:

"Yet Islamic theocracies are a threat to modern civilization. You could post the Sermon on the Mount too yet Christianity has murdered more people and destroyed civilization more than any other religion including Islam.

But where did the Islamic pursuit of science go? Why did it stop?"

You are not wrong, but there are those who turn thier faces upward despite the culture surounding themand try to do the right thing regardless of dogma. And they are not unique to thiesm, athiesm, or any other circumstance of birth.

I'm a white guy and MY predecessors commited atrocities on a number of people, starting with the NA and progressing westwards beyond the shores and into the philipenes, another genocide.

I'm not wearing any guilt or blame for that just because I'm white, I know better and try to promote ideas that question those kind of activities.
You can't condemn all white people because of the actions of a few, and you can't logicaly vilify any religion broadside for the same reason.
I'm glad that you speak up for logic and reason, BTW there isn't enough of that.

The actions of a few? No. Firstly I wouldn't condemn you for actions of your ancestors as long as you are not carrying on the tradition but guess what? Religious doctrine does condemn you for actions of your ancestors. In Christianity its called original sin and for an imaginary fictional tale no less. Now that is insane yet you are forced to submit to it.

Actions of a few? How few carried out the destruction of great libraries, Inquisitions, Crusades and various holocausts? Those are actions of many and still continues today.

It would the appear instead that good works, the diamonds in the rough, are the actions of a few.

We can't consider any of the Abrahamic traditions to have started out with good intentions when you read the original and early stories that sets the framework within the OT and NT. In many ways the NT is even more of an insult to humanity because the concept of eternal suffering and damnation is created. The writers had to be a very angry group of people who were looking to get even on their perceived enemies by wishing they suffer forever. A very unspiritual mindset isn't it?

You should know the story of the samurai who meets an enemy and is about to kill him. The enemy spits at him and the samurai gets angry. He puts his sword back and walks away.

9/17/2012 9:57:55 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

I started this thread because I realised that I don't know enough about Islam, and because there seemed to be prevailing opinions about the faith that I could not accept as factual. I have been hopeful that some dialog and debate would expand at least my knowledge base and create the same oportunity for others. I know much more now than I did, but I also very much believe that I have only scratched the surface.

I'm trying to focus on Islam by investigating it's historical and theoligic roots, and I wish I had more time and resources for that.
I of course paint Islam with the brush of my own beliefs.

I have not yet watched all of the linked documentaries that were posted(Thank you all very much) Or studied the q'uran that I downloaded, or the other materials. I hafta work.

My first major impression is that the followers of the faith incorporate it into their daily life to a degree unheard of in western civilisations. They Live it. If the faithfull are simply practicing by wrote or for appearence, what wasted lives. If the practices serve to increase the peace and happiness of the practitioner and to give them a more spiritualy connected and fulfilling life, then it is a net positive.

The concept of living ones religion without the intersession of clergy appeals to me. perhaps the fact that Islam is rooted in a tribal culture accounts for the similarities that are found in other tribal religions: they live it daily, not just on the sabbath, and it is a personal vision and relationship with the creator that is present. Something real.

9/17/2012 10:02:52 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

9/17/2012 10:59:09 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

i am in te middle of a book right now,
Did muhammed exist, by Robert Spencer.

Mr spencer is probably the highest acclaimed islamic scholar the west has to offer and is an excelent source for material.
He will refference anything he says for your own checking up on.
High ranking muslims will not face him publicly and he has outstanding offer to any of them..

Islam was converged upon in the 70s and 80s, financed by cambridige, by scholars including wansborough, Crowe, Sattchs, and Jay smith, all can be researched.

Islam was going to show to the west they had a credable religion.
They did not expect the tech and knowledge of the west, and everything was exposed to rigoris testing.
Unfortunatly everything they presented was proven forgeries, or missdated by hundreds of years.
Nothing lined up with archeological and historical evidence, and they emerged with egg on their face.

Jay smith's presentation to Cambridge can be found online.
Patrica Crowe has writtin several books.

Islam was exposed as one lie after another, with absolutly zero actual history.
a fabrication of the 9th centyry.

9/17/2012 11:11:08 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

asanb

I highly recomend going to Robert spencers site,, Jihad watch.

and don't just dismiss it as a hate site.
Spend some time reading his credentials and what he has to offer befor you even get into the material.

There is another, by Al Sina, "Faithfreedom,org, but he is a little more blunt and rude than Spencer, he does however offer 50.000 in cash, american dollars, to anyone who can prove him wrong.

I want to point out that an islamic site got the domain faithfreedom.com in an attempt to derail him.
and the islamic site is a propoganda site, and totally untrue.

9/18/2012 2:42:54 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
uniquecover
Over 1,000 Posts (1,286)
Aurora, IL
29, joined Jul. 2012

Quote from asanb:
OK jim, go ahead prove to me that Mohammed was a..

Run!!!!

All he's going to do is

1.) Provide authentic material without the proper context or history (i.e. he's going to try to twist it somehow).

2.) Provide material that is NOT considered authentic and use that as proof. He's going to use Ibn Ishaaq/At-Tabari/At-Tabaraani and others as if the narrations in them are all authentic (and they are NOT - there is a reason why scholars classify ahadeeth as strong or fabricated...and everything in between).

Quote from iyamwutiyam:

The decline in Islam happened around the year 1100. Lets watch.

I said this before to someone else regarding this same video:

"Actually, did you ever stop to consider that it was the Mongols' sack of Baghdad that made it stop being the worldwide center for learning? This sack took place in 1258 CE. It was so bad that people said that the Tigris River was black and red - it was black from the ink of books and red from the blood of the people the Mongols killed. And before this were the crusades.

It's a painful moment in our history, but it was fate and it was as He willed. The Mongols ended up converting to Islaam later on so not all was lost."

[Edited 9/18/2012 2:43:46 AM ]

9/18/2012 8:26:45 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
a_codger
Over 7,500 Posts!! (8,065)
Mountain View, AB
55, joined Aug. 2009

Quote from jim_a49:
Spend some time reading his credentials
A 1986 MBA (thesis was on Catholic history) from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

9/18/2012 8:31:18 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

?????????????

9/18/2012 11:08:40 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Awesome documentary How many else watched the whole thing?

Quote from asanb:

9/18/2012 11:20:30 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

xashax
Union, NH
45, joined May. 2009

Quote from jim_a49:
?????????????

He's holds a master's degree, Jim. In other words, no slouch and very well educated on the topic. I believe that is what Codger was showing you in his post.

9/18/2012 11:22:50 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from uniquecover:
I said this before to someone else regarding this same video:

"Actually, did you ever stop to consider that it was the Mongols' sack of Baghdad that made it stop being the worldwide center for learning? This sack took place in 1258 CE. It was so bad that people said that the Tigris River was black and red - it was black from the ink of books and red from the blood of the people the Mongols killed. And before this were the crusades.

It's a painful moment in our history, but it was fate and it was as He willed. The Mongols ended up converting to Islaam later on so not all was lost."

Yes, it was in documentary asanb posted. The Mongol catastrophe. The Mongols themselves eventually became Muslim ironically but I'm not yet seeing this as the turning point where Islam falls into the wild fanatical terrorist religion that is is today. I keep saying when we look at fanatical Muslims today we are seeing what Christians were like during the dark ages.

I still see Christianity from the beginning as instigators and terrorists of the time. The very dogma itself is a terrorist belief system that infects the minds of children with Satan, eternal suffering and torment. That is not just child abuse but mental illness.

While Islam was flourishing in science, germ theory, surgery, optics, trade, banking systems the Christians were condemning Islam at its very core as heretics.

So I'm still trying to find the turning point where the 300 year golden period of Islam came to an end and never recovered from. Al-Ghazali couldn't have been the only reason. Given the insidious nature of Christian theology I feel they are somehow responsible but I need more information that would damn them even more than they are.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not defending Islam, maybe that 300 year period at most. All religion from that part of the world is garbage and the reason its garbage is that is based on pure ignorance, violence, superstition, and much of its source material is from a veneration of mental illness. Look, Mohammed flew to heaven on a flying horse and conversed with imaginary beings. He or someone who wrote about it was mentally ill. We see the same in Judaism and Christianity. There are few on this forum who said they personally met Jesus and was taken to heaven. If mental illness was recognized for what it was thousands of years ago none of this garbage would exist today.

[Edited 9/18/2012 11:23:15 AM ]

9/18/2012 11:24:35 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
nutsinsuits
Over 2,000 Posts (2,813)
Chicago, IL
39, joined Feb. 2012

Muhammad Asad: A Jewish Lawrence of Arabia

Lewis Gropp
Last updated: December 7, 2011

Muhammad Asad's biography reads like a novel by Alexandre Dumas. It is an Oriental saga of sheer unbelievable adventures. Everything began in Lemberg, Galicia (then part of the Habsburg Austria-Hungary, today part of the Ukraine). Muhammad Asad was born on 2 July 1900 as Leopold Weiss. Born to a rabbi family and later to become an important twentieth-century Islamic thinker, theologian, linguist, translator, social critic, reformist, diplomat, political scientist, and theologian, as a young man he had little interest in theology and philosophy. "Action and movement and adventure" were his driving forces in life as he writes in his autobiographical The Road to Mecca. At the age of fourteen he ran away from home, signing up to the Austro-Hungarian army under a false name in Syria. His parents managed to save him from the battlefield just in time.

After completing school, Leopold Weiss went to Vienna to study psychoanalysis. "In actual fact Freud's ideas intoxicated my young mind like strong wine," wrote Weiss. He spent countless evenings in the city's cafés, listening with baited breath to the discussions of Alfred Adler and other intellectuals. Yet the "intellectual arrogance" of this young science, which presumed to plumb the depths of the human mind, eventually repelled the young man.

Weiss soon moved to Berlin, where he took on various jobs in the early 1920s, including as a scriptwriter and an assistant director to the master expressionist Friedrich Murnau. It was here too that he got his first scoop as a journalist. The young Leopold Weiss was a go-getter and a pleasure-seeking bohemian, who got through life with chutzpah and audacity. Under the veneer of this exciting life, however, he was accompanied by a constant "civilizational discontent".

His book The Road to Mecca was first published in the original English version in 1954. Dubbed by the author as "an autobiography of sorts", it describes a Europe between two world wars, suffering from "emptiness of the soul" and "moral instability". "Behind the Occident's façade of order and organization, the dominant force is ethical chaos," is Weiss' verdict.

As fate would have it, the young man's uncle, "a student of Dr. Freud" who ran an asylum in Jerusalem invited him to Palestine. Here, Weiss came to know and love Arab and Bedouin culture. He describes its "free humanity" and its "quiet, proud affirmation of reality and one's own life". The Arabs, he enthuses, are "people who venerate one another and the simple things in life". His passion inflamed, Leopold Weiss converted to Sunni Islam in April 1927 – in Berlin Wilmersdorf, in Germany's first-ever mosque – calling himself Muhammad Asad from then on. He went on to travel the entire Arab world, exploring almost the whole of the Orient. Alongside his travels, he became one of the most renowned Middle East correspondents and experts in the German-speaking countries.

Asad was a staunch critic of Zionism. He believed that the state of Israel would have to be built at the expense of the Palestinians. The Road to Mecca describes a meeting and argument of the young Weiss with Chaim Weizmann, eminent leader of the Zionist project, at a friend's house in Jerusalem. Asad was impressed by Weizmann's power of his intellect and his immense personal charisma. Yet, the subject at hand, he writes, "impelled me to break through the deferential hush with which all the other ????l? present were listening to him, and to ask: 'And what about the Arabs?'" – apparently unsettling the great architect of the Jewish state, at least in Asad's own account. Though firm in his stance but without ever striking a militant tone, Asad often pointed out how inevitable injustices committed against Palestinians would breed a conflict that would remain a source of trouble for the region for generations to come. How right he was!

After his hajj to Mecca in 1927, Muhammad Asad settled in Saudi Arabia for several years, becoming a close confidant and personal friend to King Ibn Saud. After their first meeting, Asad writes, the King sent for him every day. Ibn Saud even allowed Asad to visit the Najd region (in the King's company), which was strictly forbidden for foreigners during that time. Despite the closeness to the House of Saud, Asad strikes a critical tone concerning Wahhabism: "As s??n as the followers of Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahbab achieved power, his idea became ? mummy: for the spirit cannot be ? servant of power – and power does not want to be a servant of the spirit", Assad writes.

Asas goes on: "?he history of Wahbab Najd is the history ?f ? religious idea which first rose on the wings of enthusiasm ??d longing and then sank down into the lowlands of pharisaic self-righteousness. For all virtue destroys itself as soon as it ceases to be longing and humility." The Road to Mecca is a work of high literary value, still waiting to be discovered.

9/18/2012 11:33:14 AM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
nutsinsuits
Over 2,000 Posts (2,813)
Chicago, IL
39, joined Feb. 2012

Quote from asanb:
OMG I am going to have to spend the day catching up on videos, Thank you all very much.
This PBS series is awesome, if you have an hour to watch. The producers do a great job of bringing the viewer into the desert and setting the stage in context of the times and prevailing culture. Even without the biography, it is a significant immersion into arab history.

i workerd with tourists over 12 years,one thing they always tell me,we are so shoked with what we have seen,it's not what we have been told or hear,the best way for learning to travel and discover,and make it personal experience,i met drs,mesucians,writers,hippis,gays,drug addicts,sportive guys.,students,teachers...,i think the best way to know to do it once in life,it will change your life dramaticaly 360 degree and please,remember what i have said,it's the truth,if you cant travel ask those who have had that kind of experience,the smallest example Malcolm x when he changed and he was killed for that change,so what let him to be changed?

9/18/2012 1:11:18 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from xashax:
He's holds a master's degree, Jim. In other words, no slouch and very well educated on the topic. I believe that is what Codger was showing you in his post.

Could be, but from previous conversations, i took that as a degree in an unrelated subject, and an indication he doesn't know what he is talking about.
i have heard that befor from people.
What i emphasize about mr spencer is other realms of his life, that are on topic, and his personal association with peers and groups that deal with this.
He also has a reputation that is untarnished, and is not about to make a stupid mistake that all muslims will jump all over just to disprove him.

9/18/2012 1:35:18 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
uniquecover
Over 1,000 Posts (1,286)
Aurora, IL
29, joined Jul. 2012

Quote from iyamwutiyam:
Yes, it was in documentary asanb posted. The Mongol catastrophe. The Mongols themselves eventually became Muslim ironically but I'm not yet seeing this as the turning point where Islam falls into the wild fanatical terrorist religion that is is today. I keep saying when we look at fanatical Muslims today we are seeing what Christians were like during the dark ages.

Actually, the Muslims of today who are fighting are nothing like the Christians back then who fought:

1.) The Crusaders killed mercilessly on a very large scale (repeatedly). Islaam has rules in warfare unlike any other religion to the best of my knowledge.

2.) The Crusaders were mainly on the offensive as opposed to the Muslims mainly being on the defensive since the entire world is feasting on the Muslim nations

3.) The Prophet already told us the reason for our demise:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, "Soon the nations will call one another against you, just as people call one another to eat from a platter of food."

A man asked, "Will this be because we will be few in number, O Messenger of Allaah?"

He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) replied, "No, you will be large in number, but you will be Ghuthaa'a like the froth scum on the surface of a body of water, and Allaah will remove from the hearts of your enemies their fear of you and shall place in your hearts Wahn."

Those present asked: "What is Wahn, O Messenger of Allaah?"

He replied: "The love for this worldly life, and hatred of death." [Saheeh hadeeth due to a multitude of routes of narration in the Sunan of Aboo Daawood (4297)]

4.) We still have lots and lots of scholars - but in fields that don't really interest most non-Muslims (things to do with Islaam). This is more blessed to us than any other field of knowledge. But the Prophet also told us that these scholars will become fewer and fewer in number as they die (and aren't replaced by new scholars) until our nation becomes largely ignorant and is led by the ignorant. Allaah knows best if it's already happening or if it will happen or if it already happened.

5.) The Muslim nation will rise again, as promised by God. Maybe not in my lifetime or even the next few centuries, but it will.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not defending Islam, maybe that 300 year period at most.....

I already know about your hatred of Islaam.

You're not alone in those types of comments (that the Messengers were madmen, I seek refuge with Allaah):

And they say: "O you (Muhammad SAW ) to whom the Dhikr (the Qur'an) has been sent down! Verily, you are a mad man. (Al-Hijr 15:6)

And never came a Messenger to them but they did mock him. (Al-Hijr 15:11)

Likewise, no Messenger came to those before them, but they said: "A sorcerer or a madman!" (Adh-Dhariyat 51:52)

About Noah (peace be upon him), the chief of the disbelievers said,

"He is only a man in whom is madness, so wait for him a while." (Al-Mu'minun 23:25)

About Moses (peace be upon him), the pharoah said,

Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "Verily, your Messenger who has been sent to you is a madman!" (Ash-Shu'ara 26:27)

And verily, those who disbelieve would almost make you slip with their eyes through hatredness when they hear the Reminder (the Qur'an), and they say: "Verily, he (Muhammad SAW) is a madman!" (Al-Qalam 68:51)

But it is nothing else than a Reminder to all the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). (Al-Qalam 68:52)

9/18/2012 1:46:18 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

quote by uniquecover

1.) The Crusaders killed mercilessly on a very large scale (repeatedly). Islaam has rules in warfare unlike any other religion to the best of my knowledge.

2.) The Crusaders were mainly on the offensive as opposed to the Muslims mainly being on the defensive since the entire world is feasting on the Muslim nations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOLOLOL
The muslims executed, beheaded thousands at a time in their aggressive seziure of European land.
I believe there was one particular battle where the christians did that.
I will look it up for you when i get home.

The crusades were the result of the muslims purging into Europe.
They were the aggressors.
If they stayed in the mud-east the crusades never would have happened.

9/18/2012 2:06:16 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Byzantium and Persia 632-640
Cupres Rhodes and Greece 649 668
constantinople 668-673
the toledo wh*re, spain 710
The mountian of taric, spain 711
A conquers fate Spain 711 715
Constaninople 717-718
the languedoc, france 718 732
Tours, france732-759
The Umyyad takover spain 756-832
sicily 827-902
St Trapoiz france 898-973
Simincas spain 912 962, this one the mezine, caller to prayer stood on a pile of thousands of heads to sing the call to prayer.
Compostele 967-1002

these are just a few, of a few hundred I can list, but i type way to slow, and crappy to do them all.
But you can get the idea, and this is just the first 300 years.
befor the crusades.
Islam was on a military purge of robbery, rape and murdrer, since the time muhammed raped his first child, and it was always the same, execute the males over puberty, save the male children to force into Islam and become janisarries.
Distrubute the women amongst themselves.
Devide the booty and give 20% to the leaders.

But hey, can't blame them, they were just following allah's orders

9/18/2012 4:37:37 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
nutsinsuits
Over 2,000 Posts (2,813)
Chicago, IL
39, joined Feb. 2012

Qur'an 82:6-19 Surah Al-Infitar
O man! what has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?
Him Who created thee. Fashioned thee in due proportion and gave thee a just bias;
In whatever Form He wills does He put thee together.
Nay! but ye do Reject Right and Judgment!
But verily over you (are appointed angels) to protect you
Kind and honorable writing down (your deeds):
They know (and understand) all that ye do.
As for the Righteous they will be in Bliss;
And the Wicked they will be in the Fire
Which they will enter on the Day of Judgment.
And they will not be Able to keep away therefrom.
And what will explain to thee what the Day of Judgment is?
Again what will explain to thee what the Day of Judgment is?
(It will be) the Day when no soul shall have power (to do) aught for another: for the Command that Day will be (wholly) with Allah.

9/18/2012 4:58:59 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from uniquecover:

Actually, the Muslims of today who are fighting are nothing like the Christians back then who fought:

You're right. Christians back then weren't suicidal bombers.

The crusades killed anything in their path. If the couldn't reach Jerusalem they killed the Jews which probably made Muslims feel a kinship with Christians.

3.) The Prophet already told us the reason for our demise:
Self fulfilling prophesies are cheap. A lot of religions do that in their disclaimer message.

I already know about your hatred of Islaam.
Its hard to not hate cancer or anything whose sole purpose is to destroy anything around them. But I do understand why because I've studied religion. Religion is mental illness organized as a framework for gullible and mindless followers giving them something to do so they don't get bored.

Meanwhile you offered nothing useful to explain why Islam fell after that 300 year period and never recovered to its former glory. Islam is an empty shell and has been for most of its existence. Its not worthy of respect and gives none even for its own followers.

[Edited 9/18/2012 5:00:47 PM ]

9/18/2012 5:03:20 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

S'more history from PBS

9/18/2012 5:09:27 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

Robert Spencer:
"The principal leader…in the new academic field of Islam-bashing."

"Spencer's readers are carefully steered away from all contact with the Islamic interpretative tradition, which equals or exceeds that of any other religion, because any scholarly knowledge about Islam would expose all his extremist interpretations to ridicule."

- Robert Crane (Ex-Nixon Aide, author)

"[Robert Spencer] has no academic training in Islamic studies whatsoever; his M.A. degree was in the field of early Christianity"

“The publications of Spencer belong to the class of Islamophobic extremism that is promoted and supported by right-wing organizations, who are perpetuating a type of bigotry similar to anti-Semitism and racial prejudice. They are to be viewed with great suspicion by anyone who wishes to find reliable and scholarly information on the subject of Islam.”

- Carl Ernst (Islamic Scholar UNC)

“[Robert Spencer] uses the Internet to spread misinformation and hatred of Islam and presents a ‘skewed, one-sided, and inflammatory story that only helps to sow the seed of civilizational conflict’."

- Benazir Bhutto (Late Prime Minister of Pakistan)

“When it comes to Robert Spencer scholars of Islamic studies outright dismiss him and his body of work. They call him an unreliable ideologue at best and a divisive bigot at worst.”

- Michael Kruse (Writer St. Petersburg Times)

9/18/2012 5:52:08 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
nutsinsuits
Over 2,000 Posts (2,813)
Chicago, IL
39, joined Feb. 2012

Quote from iyamwutiyam:
Its hard to not hate cancer or anything whose sole purpose is to destroy anything around them. But I do understand why because I've studied religion. Religion is mental illness organized as a framework for gullible and mindless followers giving them something to do so they don't get bored.

Meanwhile you offered nothing useful to explain why Islam fell after that 300 year period and never recovered to its former glory. Islam is an empty shell and has been for most of its existence. Its not worthy of respect and gives none even for its own followers.

your reasoning has no basements,all what your job is about to be negative forever and bash around to feel and look at you(oh nobody can beat me up)if you come in clean hands,mouth,brain,we would like to teach you a little bit what you dont know,but you are pushing US not to be encouraged to talk to you,thus why we just avoid you or ignore you,any coward can easily call names,insult,do you know why?i wont answer it,i will let you answer,ok?

so here some reasons why islamic civilization declined:

Popular opinions on the decay of Islamic Civilizations:

The most prevalent diagnoses and remedies for the decay of Islamic civilizations fall in two categories. The most popular view seems to be that the Muslims have veered away from the teachings of Islam. The remedy offered is, “If only we became good Muslims, we would regain the momentum and revive the grandeur of the past.”

The second conventional view is that our travails started with the ascendance of the West. It led to eventual Western colonialism of Muslim lands and its materialistic hegemony stifled the Islamic Civilizations. The popular remedy suggested is that we should get away from materialism, support education with the spiritualism of Islam to be the leaders again.

Both observations are partly correct but confuse causes and effects. Not that the West has not been hegemonic and should not be blamed. Yielding uncritically to this mindset absolves Muslims of centuries of sloth and is a complete intellectual surrender to the hegemony of the West. It pulls at the heartstrings with the innocence of idealism, but the understanding of the early Islamic history and human nature does not substantiate such simplistic explanations.

The first observation that we have veered away is true in many ways, but it is not a recent phenomenon. From very early times Islamic polity started splitting into many sects and sub-sects. Efforts towards contrived unity often spawned another sub-sect. A more analytical question is which sects have veered away, and to what extent? Or are all sects guilty in different ways? Is it really a new phenomenon, and who can judge it objectively? The answers tend to be inherently self-serving, therefore elusive.

A brief historical survey:

On closer survey of history, it appears that the veering away from the teachings if Islam started immediately after the death of the Prophet in 632. Many tribes had rebelled. It was the deft handling of the first Caliph, Abu Bakr, who was elected by a consensus after some spirited dissentions from the leading companions of the Prophet. The rebellious tribes were brought back to the fold after strenuous persuasion. The second Caliph, Omar after ten years of rule was assassinated by a Persian slave. Twelve years later, the third Caliph Uthman was assassinated because of deepening political machinations and accusations of mismanagement. The caliphate of the fourth caliph Ali was contested resulting in Islam’s first civil war, with people dear to the Prophet on the opposite sides. Ali was assassinated by a purist intolerant group known as “Kharijites”. They accused him of flouting the law of God, because he accepted a compromise. In spite of all these dissentions, Islam grew by leaps and bounds and had spread to Syria, Palestine, Egypt and Persia within twenty years after the Prophet.

In 661, Muawiya the governor of Syria who had contested Ali’s Caliphate became the fifth Caliph. Arabs had no experience in the governance of an empire. Muawiya learned and adapted methods from the Byzantines and Persians to consolidate the Islamic Empire further. In the process, he subverted evolving nascent Islamic democratic norms by maneuvering the succession of his inept son Yazid to the caliphate, making it a hereditary office and founded the Umayyad dynasty.

Yazid’s caliphate was challenged by Ali’s second son Husain, resulting in Islam’s second civil war in twenty-five years. Yazid’s forces mercilessly killed Husain and almost his entire family to maintain Umayyad grip on power spawning the largest schism in Islam, the Shia-Sunni divide. Husain’s son Zainul Abideen escaped because he was sick and did not participate in the war.

In 750, Abul Abbas with Shia support destroyed ninety years of expanding and at times turbulent Umayyad Caliphate, to establish the Abbasid Dynasty. Abbasids killed almost the entire ruling Umayyads and soon ditched their Shia supporters, fortifying a trend towards absolute monarchy, “the shadow of God on earth”. The robust impetus towards egalitarianism gave way to diluted platitudes. The sole surviving Umayyad founded a rival dynasty in Spain seceding from the Abbasids in 756.

if you want to read more here is the link:

http://www.countercurrents.org/beg-250706.htm

9/18/2012 6:01:01 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
nutsinsuits
Over 2,000 Posts (2,813)
Chicago, IL
39, joined Feb. 2012

if you care about the quotes,here are some quotes of famous figures:

Nepolean Bonaparte – Quoted in Christian Cherfils BONAPARTE ET ISLAM (PARIS 1914)

“I hope the time is not far off when I shall be able to unite all the wise and educated men of all the countries and establish a uniform regime based on the principles of Qur'an which alone are true and which alone can lead men to happiness.”

M.K.Gandhi, YOUNG INDIA, 1924

"...I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the prophet, the scrupulous regard for his pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and his own mission. These, and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every trouble." YOUNG INDIA, 1924

Lamartine - Histoire de la Turquie, Paris 1854, Vol II, pp. 276-77:

"If greatness of purpose, smallness of means, and astounding results are the three criteria of human genius, who could dare to compare any great man in modern history with Muhammad? The most famous men created arms, laws and empires only. They founded, if anything at all, no more than material powers which often crumbled away before their eyes. This man moved not only armies, legislations, empires, peoples and dynasties, but millions of men in one-third of the then inhabited world; and more than that, he moved the altars, the gods, the religions, the ideas, the beliefs and souls... the forbearance in victory, his ambition, which was entirely devoted to one idea and in no manner striving for an empire; his endless prayers, his mystic conversations with God, his death and his triumph after death; all these attest not to an imposture but to a firm conviction which gave him the power to restore a dogma. This dogma was twofold, the unit of God and the immateriality of God; the former telling what God is, the latter telling what God is not; the one overthrowing false gods with the sword, the other starting an idea with words.

"Philosopher, orator, apostle, legislator, warrior, conqueror of ideas, restorer of rational dogmas, of a cult without images; the founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire, that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?"

Edward Gibbon and Simon Ocklay - History of the Saracen Empire, London, 1870, p. 54:

"It is not the propagation but the permanency of his religion that deserves our wonder, the same pure and perfect impression which he engraved at Mecca and Medina is preserved, after the revolutions of twelve centuries by the Indian, the African and the Turkish proselytes of the Koran...The Mahometans have uniformly withstood the temptation of reducing the object of their faith and devotion to a level with the senses and imagination of man. 'I believe in One God and Mahomet the Apostle of God', is the simple and invariable profession of Islam. The intellectual image of the Deity has never been degraded by any visible idol; the honors of the prophet have never transgressed the measure of human virtue, and his living precepts have restrained the gratitude of his disciples within the bounds of reason and religion."

Rev. Bosworth Smith, Mohammed and Mohammadanism, London 1874, p. 92:

"He was Caesar and Pope in one; but he was Pope without Pope's pretensions, Caesar without the legions of Caesar: without a standing army, without a bodyguard, without a palace, without a fixed revenue; if ever any man had the right to say that he ruled by the right divine, it was Mohammed, for he had all the power without its instruments and without its supports."

Annie Besant, The Life and Teachings of Muhammad, Madras 1932, p. 4:

"It is impossible for anyone who studies the life and character of the great Prophet of Arabia, who knows how he taught and how he lived, to feel anything but reverence for that mighty Prophet, one of the great messengers of the Supreme. And although in what I put to you I shall say many things which may be familiar to many, yet I myself feel whenever I re-read them, a new way of admiration, a new sense of reverence for that mighty Arabian teacher."

Montgomery Watt, Mohammad at Mecca, Oxford 1953, p. 52:

"His readiness to undergo persecutions for his beliefs, the high moral character of the men who believed in him and looked up to him as leader, and the greatness of his ultimate achievement – all argue his fundamental integrity. To suppose Muhammad an impostor raises more problems than it solves. Moreover, none of the great figures of history is so poorly appreciated in the West as Muhammad."

James A. Michener, 'Islam: The Misunderstood Religion' in Reader's Digest (American Edition), May 1955, pp. 68-70:

"Muhammad, the inspired man who founded Islam, was born about A.D. 570 into an Arabian tribe that worshipped idols. Orphaned at birth, he was always particularly solicitous of the poor and needy, the widow and the orphan, the slave and the downtrodden. At twenty he was already a successful businessman, and soon became director of camel caravans for a wealthy widow. When he reached twenty-five, his employer, recognizing his merit, proposed marriage. Even though she was fifteen years older, he married her, and as long as she lived, remained a devoted husband.

9/18/2012 6:03:18 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
nutsinsuits
Over 2,000 Posts (2,813)
Chicago, IL
39, joined Feb. 2012

(always the evil is trying to conqueer the good and to do,just call it evil,how logically the evil can fight another evil ,or good fight anther good) Kimotshovski

"Like almost every major prophet before him, Muhammad fought shy of serving as the transmitter of God's word, sensing his own inadequacy. But the angel commanded 'Read'. So far as we know, Muhammad was unable to read or write, but he began to dictate those inspired words which would soon revolutionize a large segment of the earth: "There is one God."

"In all things Muhammad was profoundly practical. When his beloved son Ibrahim died, an eclipse occurred, and rumors of God's personal condolence quickly arose. Whereupon Muhammad is said to have announced, 'An eclipse is a phenomenon of nature. It is foolish to attribute such things to the death or birth of a human-being.'

"At Muhammad's own death an attempt was made to deify him, but the man who was to become his administrative successor killed the hysteria with one of the noblest speeches in religious history: 'If there are any among you who worshipped Muhammad, he is dead. But if it is God you worshipped, He lives forever.'"

Michael H. Hart, The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History, New York: Hart Publishing Company, Inc. 1978, p. 33:

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."

Sarojini Naidu, the famous Indian poetess says – S. Naidu, Ideals of Islam, Speeches and Writings, Madaras, 1918

“It was the first religion that preached and practiced democracy; for, in the mosque, when the call for prayer is sounded and worshippers are gathered together, the democracy of Islam is embodied five times a day when the peasant and king kneel side by side and proclaim: 'God Alone is Great'... “

Thomas Caryle – Heros and Heros Worship

“how one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades?”
“…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammed) are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so."

Stanley Lane-Poole – Table Talk of the Prophet

“He was the most faithful protector of those he protected, the sweetest and most agreeable in conversation. Those who saw him were suddenly filled with reverence; those who came near him loved him; they who described him would say, "I have never seen his like either before or after." He was of great taciturnity, but when he spoke it was with emphasis and deliberation, and no one could forget what he said...”

George Bernard Shaw - The Genuine Islam Vol.No.8, 1936.

“I believe if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring much needed peace and happiness.
I have studied him - the man and in my opinion is far from being an anti–Christ. He must be called the Savior of Humanity.
I have prophesied about the faith of Mohammad that it would be acceptable the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today.”

9/18/2012 6:16:29 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

“Spencer's historical argument is dubious. It emphasizes violent passages in the Koran, while downplaying the passages that urge peace and goodwill. It applies a moral standard to Islamic empires that certainly could not be met by the Roman empire or the empires established by the Portuguese, the Spanish, the French and the British. In the Spain of Ferdinand and Isabella, for example, Jews had three choices: convert to Christianity, leave the country, or be killed. No Muslim empire legislated or systematically enforced such a policy toward its religious minorities."

"Spencer glibly jumps over entire centuries in linking, say, the savagery of the Ottomans in Constantinople with the savagery of Hezbollah in Lebanon or the Taliban in Afghanistan."

- Dinesh D’Souza (Conservative scholar, pundit and author)

I'll bet that a determined writer could demonize Little Bo Peep for comitting genocide on sheep.

I keep comming back to a line from some rock and roll song that I heard when I was a teenager from a song that I think was entitled " you're my creator" : " I'll step on your children to make myself tall".

I must be incredibly naive, I don’t understand the motivation, It is beyond my realm of understanding. If I were in a position of influence where I knew my words might cause a person somewhere in the world to be killed, I would feel a constant pressure to be absolutely sure that my words were just , equitable, fair and truthful. Because I have self respect.

9/18/2012 6:43:18 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Actually that is exactly what I expected for a responce because i have heard it all befor, and there are lots of people on the web who condemm him, for selfserving reasons.

My next thing to say is,
Name one thing he said about Islam that was wrong, and you can bet all of the muslims are dying for him to make a mistake.
Whatever mistakes he made will be plastered all over the web.

The reality is that, people do not like what he says, and condemm him for any reason they can think of, other that the most important and only valid reason there it.

And that is the content of the message he delivers.

also I dismiss right away, anyone who uses the term cherry pick, because that is exactly what they have to do to find the good, not the evil.
I read the books, I know what is in there.
And the good, only applies to the group you are in.

So my statement still stands, show me something he said that is wrong.

9/18/2012 6:44:27 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

Quote from nutsinsuits:
your reasoning has no basements,all what your job is about to be negative forever and bash around to feel and look at you(oh nobody can beat me up)if you come in clean hands,mouth,brain,we would like to teach you a little bit what you dont know,but you are pushing US not to be encouraged to talk to you,thus why we just avoid you or ignore you,any coward can easily call names,insult,do you know why?i wont answer it,i will let you answer,ok?

Its not my job it but I wouldn't mind getting paid to have fun. I post because "it is there". So you can't ignore me because my questions are valid and no one has a reasonable cause for the fall of Islam. And when it comes to name calling Islam and Christianity do a very good job at it with a follow up of torturing you to death and the other is beheading you.

The cut and paste job you did offered no solid explanation of why Islam fell and never recovered and never will recover. The excuse that people fell from the teachings of Islam being partly true assumes that it had good teachings to begin with. The same excuse is made about Christians but when you examine scripture you find that Christians are not veering away from its teachings but actually following it more closely. So they are really good Christians. The Westboro Baptist Church can't be blamed, its the scripture itself that's garbage. The Koran has that problem too and mainly because it plagiarized both the Torah and the Gospels.

In any event its astounding Islam had a golden period of scientific inquiry at all which in itself is a mystery. The answer lies in who the theocratic leaders were as it always is in a totalitarian dictatorship. Hegemony is being blamed when oligarchy is the real culprit. Get out your dictionary to look up those words.

Religion is a dictatorship at the human level and at the delusional supernatural level. Its doomed to failure as a healthy continuing system because there is no safety against insane leaders as in the case of Al-Hakim. Mental illness is literally a major component of these religions. I mean literally and I can not over emphasize that because the abundance of voices in the head revelations are key aspects of revealed teachings with no basis in reality. The characters have grandiose delusions and hallucinations.

Some examples:
Moses has a conversation with a burning shrubbery who then turns into a naked man that carves from stone 10 commandments.

Balaam and his a** have a conversation.

Abraham gets a buzz to kill his son and gets another buzz to kill a sheep. Nothing good can come from a psychopathy that considers that as an ideal for faith.

Jesus is born from a virgin mother who is married to Joseph but commits adultery with God.

Jesus kills a bunch of pigs because some guy was ill. That is very mentally sick behavior from someone considered to be a son of God.

The entire book of Revelations written by a frazzled stoned recluse on magic mushrooms.

I'll leave it to Jim to fill in the blanks for Mohammed conversing with angels and flying off to heaven.

So the search continues to find the pivotal points of what caused Islam to take a dive. One thing about Islam is that it has a much better start than Christianity.

[Edited 9/18/2012 6:47:35 PM ]

9/18/2012 7:16:48 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

basically Muhammed went to heaven on a small white donkey type, animal with wings.
he goes through a series of happenings where he meets all of the old prophets of christianity and converses with them.
It is a long story but i can look it up and print the entire thing.

Aisha, his child bride said,
ishaq 183
"The Prophet's body remained where it was. Allah removed his spirit at night."

It's knid of funny and totally preposterous, it seems he has all this information about the Jewish prophets that the jews don't even have, and it totally contradicts with what they do have.

9/18/2012 7:26:00 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
uniquecover
Over 1,000 Posts (1,286)
Aurora, IL
29, joined Jul. 2012

Quote from iyamwutiyam:

You're right. Christians back then weren't suicidal bombers.

Christians & Jews back then didn't kill with depleted uranium and drones.

The crusades killed anything in their path. If the couldn't reach Jerusalem they killed the Jews which probably made Muslims feel a kinship with Christians.

Oh, really? Who were the ones who afforded the Jews protection from the Christians during the Spanish Inquisition? Oh, that's right, the Muslims.

Self fulfilling prophesies are cheap. A lot of religions do that in their disclaimer message.

How is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? I mean, *I* know that everything stated will come true because he said it and anything related to Islaam that he said was of divine origin.

But for you, is it that you only call those prophecies that have come to pass as self-fulfilling prophecies in order to attempt to explain away the fact that Allaah had given the Prophet some (limited) facts about the future?

But, hey, do what you want. Let's see if you refer to the Day of Judgment as a self-fulfilling prophecy when the Day comes. yeah yeah, you don't believe in it, but you'll be singing a different tune the moment the angels responsible for taking the souls of people come to take it out.

Anyways, excuse me while I choose to believe my Prophet over your expert opinions on why the Muslim nation is so downtrodden.

Its hard to not hate cancer or anything whose sole purpose is to destroy anything around them.

Oh, really? Why don't you bring the evidence that shows that that is our sole purpose. Or even just A purpose (since you made that claim so boldly, you should have no problem bringing it).

haha, the worst Muslim is better than the best disbeliever in the sight of our Lord. So we would care about your opinion because.......?

Anyways, here's a pretty good poem explaining what went wrong:

And when We cause mankind to taste of mercy, they rejoice therein, but when some evil afflicts them because of (evil deeds and sins) that their (own) hands have sent forth, lo! They are in despair! (Ar-Rum 30:36)

And, in the end, a Muslim is always victorious even if the current Muslim nation is not victorious. What greater glory is there than being granted Paradise?

Aasiyah, the wife of the Pharaoh, was being mutilated because she did not recant from saying & believing that her Lord was Allaah and not Pharaoh.

And Allah has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun (Pharaoh), when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his work, and save me from the people who are Zalimûn (polytheists, wrong-doers and disbelievers in Allah). (At-Tahrim 66:11)

Qatadah said, "Fir`awn was the most tyrannical among the people of the earth and the most disbelieving. By Allah! His wife was not affected by her husband's disbelief, because she obeyed her Lord. Therefore, let it be known that Allah is the Just Judge Who will not punish anyone except for their own sins.'' Ibn Jarir recorded that Sulayman said, "The wife of Fir`awn was tortured under the sun and when Fir`awn would finish the torture session, the angels would shade her with their wings. She was shown her house in Paradise.'' Ibn Jarir said that Al-Qasim bin Abi Bazzah said, "Fir`awn's wife used to ask, `Who prevailed' When she was told, `Musa and Harun prevailed', she said, `I believe in the Lord of Musa and Harun.' Fir`awn sent his aides to her and said to them, `Find the biggest stone. If she insists on keeping her faith, throw the stone on her, otherwise she is my wife. When they came to her, she looked up to the sky and was able to see her house in Paradise. She persisted on the faith and her soul was then captured. The stone was thrown on her lifeless body.''

People who have similar beliefs to you would say that she was being humiliated and was not in the state of her former glory (of being the Pharaoh's coveted wife and having all of the comforts she could ask for). But we, Muslims, would say that it is her belief in Allaah that made her greater than any other queen who has ever lived. It is she who has won - she attained Paradise. That is all we want.

[Edited 9/18/2012 7:28:23 PM ]

9/18/2012 7:27:28 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

I want to point out also there are a couple stories on this and i want to be careful not to make a mistake.
He also went to heaven on a rock, yes a rock, towed by winged horses.
This rock is in the dome of the rock right now.
he vivited the 7 heavens.

Rocks play an important part of islam, not much imagination in the desert, where all there is is sand and rocks.

I need to look up this part befor I go any further as to avoid a mistake.

The muslim predators here are dying to catch me in a mistake, and i don't want to give them the opportunity.

9/18/2012 7:45:19 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

haha, the worst Muslim is better than the best disbeliever in the sight of our Lord. So we would care about your opinion because.......?

Your religion proves that by raping and murdering women for no good reason and act out like violent maniacs throughout the world over cartoons and poorly made videos.

Now here is a video Muslims should actually approve of.

9/18/2012 7:51:42 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  

iyamwutiyam
Middelfart
Denmark
48, joined Dec. 2011

As horrible as that video appears it isn't as horrible as to the methods of torture Christians used during the Inquisitions. Torture was done in such a way that it would not kill but cause excruciating pain for weeks and even months. The devices were sophisticated and designed to cause maximum pain while a priest watched over the proceedings doing God's work.

9/18/2012 7:52:15 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
uniquecover
Over 1,000 Posts (1,286)
Aurora, IL
29, joined Jul. 2012

Quote from iyamwutiyam:
Your religion proves that by raping and murdering women for no good reason and act out like violent maniacs throughout the world over cartoons and poorly made videos.

Proves that the worst Muslim is better than the best disbeliever in the sight of our Lord? Well, the Prophet (peace & blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated that so I don't need to see any proof since I already wholeheartedly believe in everything he ever said.

Secondly, where does Islaam allow the raping of anybody ? Yet another claim that you haven't provided proof for?

While you're looking for the evidence for that, also bring evidence that people (let alone solely women) can be put to death in an Islaamic state for no good reason.

I didn't watch the video except for a few seconds of it....but I don't really see your point. Different nations have their set punishments. In fact, the punishment for a few crimes in the U.S. is death. What makes that so different from the punishment of death in a country ruled by Islaam?

9/18/2012 8:05:50 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Muslims were pretty good at torture also.

One famous one wha when they captures a christian religious head and skinned him alice, he died in the process, but his skin was stuffed with straw and marched through town.
aother in muhammeds time was.

Tabari VIII:122
Ishaq:515
"The Prophet gave orders concerning Kinanah to Zubayr, saying, 'Torture him until you root out and extract what he has. So Zubayr kindled a fire on Kinanah's chest, twirling it with his firestick until Kinanah was near death. Then the Messenger gave him to Maslamah, who beheaded him."

Ishaq:595
"The Apostle said, 'Get him away from me and cut off his tongue.'"

Tabari VII:133
Ishaq:387
"When Muhammad saw Hamzah he said, 'If Allah gives me victory over the Quraysh at any time, I shall mutilate thirty of their men!' When the Muslims saw the rage of the Prophet they said, 'By Allah, if we are victorious over them, we shall mutilate them in a way which no Arab has ever mutilated anybody."

Tabari VIII:96
"A raiding party led by Zayd set out against Umm in Ramadan. During it, Umm suffered a cruel death. Zyad tied her legs with rope and then tied her between two camels until they split her in two. She was a very old woman. Then they brought Umm's daughter and Abdallah to the Messenger. Umm's daughter belonged to Salamah who had captured her. Muhammad asked Salamah for her, and Salamah gave her to him."

9/18/2012 8:10:00 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
jim_a49
Bellevue, WA
67, joined Dec. 2010

Quote from iyamwutiyam:

aw comon man, it's just a bunch of muslims havin fun, doing what they do best,
i get a kick out of the smiles in the faces of the participants, really enjoying doing Gods work.

besides this stuff was obviousaly filmed thousands of years ago, and they don't do it today.

9/18/2012 8:21:44 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
uniquecover
Over 1,000 Posts (1,286)
Aurora, IL
29, joined Jul. 2012

@ OP, you seem like you have a genuine interest in learning about Islaam from authentic sources.

So I'm going to recommend a book to you (biography about the Prophet).

It's called The Sealed Nectar and it's by Saifur Rahman al-Mubarakpuri (who passed away relatively recently). This book is basically a chronological order of his life events because though there are many authentic hadeeth (recorded sayings/actions of/regarding the Prophet), they are not all listed in order.

It's available online for free:

http://abdurrahman.org/seerah/SN/sealednectar/index.html

If you're not a huge dates/tribal details buff, you might find the first part to be a little boring (though I loved reading it) - but the rest of the book should be a much easier read.

[Edited 9/18/2012 8:24:14 PM ]

9/18/2012 8:45:45 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

9/18/2012 9:56:05 PM Islamic Education: Origins of the faith | Page 2  
asanb
Sanbornton, NH
61, joined Jul. 2012

Terribly sorry, were we supposed to be somberly contemplating a religous war of magnificent proprtions?

Is anyone keeping score?

I must have gotten off on the wrong floor, I was heading for "Don't take yourself so F---- seriously", and then somewhere else pythonesque. Is there a room for arguments?

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Even Stevphen - Islam vs. Christianity
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor & Satire Blog The Daily Show on Facebook